Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alpha 16 Q&A with Madmole: Volume 10

Alpha 16 Q&A with Madmole: Volume 10

Madmole will answer these questions in a future video.

Rules

1) One question per person. Period. Additional questions will be deleted so ask your best one first if you plan to be a rule breaker.

2) Please do not answer anyone else's question. This is not a discussion thread. Simply ask your question, step to the left, and receive your soup.

3) Keep the questions focused on Alpha 16 or on "behind the scenes" development curiosity. Do not ask about release dates or bug fixes. If you know of bugs report them in the bug report forum.

4) Watch past Q&A videos and read the current thread and do not post duplicate questions. Questions that have been asked and answered will be moved to the already answered thread.

Past Q&A Videos

Alpha 16 Q&A Vol 1 Video
    Alpha 16 Q&A Vol 2 Video
    Alpha 16 Q&A Vol 3 Video
    Alpha 16 Q&A Vol 4 Video
    Alpha 16 Q&A Vol 5 Video
    Alpha 16 Q&A Vol 6 Video
    Alpha 16 Q&A Vol 7 Video
    Alpha 16 Q&A Vol 8 Video
    Alpha 16 Q&A Vol 9 Video

And Finally....

Q: When is Alpha 16 going to be released?
    A: When it's done.
    Last edited by Roland; 01-20-2017 at 02:08 AM.

Guppycurian Forum Whore Guppycur's Avatar
    Breadcrumbs; are they to replace the feral GPS system or enhance it?
    Last edited by Guppycur; 01-20-2017 at 02:22 AM.

Hi MM

Question: In your opinion will sleepers make it into A16? I am happy for a percentage chance based answer

Ok Roland now I want my soup!

Hey MM hows it going
    just wondering will we ever see any seasonal events in the game to make it more fun like all the zombies drop candy durring halloween time or all the eggs have different colors durring easter?
    Last edited by RS_Claymore; 01-20-2017 at 04:09 AM.

Scavenger
    Hey MM,

From A14 to A15 the number of Zs active during a horde night was turned down to 8. You've explained in the past that this was done for the benefit of everyone on a server getting a horde and other performance issues. Some of those issues aren't applicable in single player games. Will we see an option in the menu to increase the number of max alive Zs during a horde on a single player game?

Colony Founder
    I wanted to ask a follow-up question to distant POI's.
    I have noticed in past games like Elder Scrolls 4 that distant light areas looks dark and will not light up until I get close. Since you are now working on distant POI's I wanted to know if that is possible.

So my question is: Can light from things like street lamps and lighted other POI's appear lit?
    Thanks.
    Last edited by sillls; 01-20-2017 at 03:09 PM.

Hunter
    I was wondering if you have plans for a type of pontoon that we can place on water and build on it to make a dock and/or a bridge. The pontoons could be wood barrels or metal or even plastic. Any one of those materials would be nice or even all three.

I think this would make bridges over lakes far better especially since you don't have to swim to the bottom of the lake for every pylon.

Resources

How about a resource detector. like how a metal detector works.

Hey MM, lovin' the game.

I really like the idea of having power tools for late game as opposed to using simple picks and shovels, but I know first hand the unpleasantness (and ineffectiveness) of hitting a big rock while using an auger. What are your thoughts on making the auger strictly a dirt/sand/gravel tool and having a gasoline powered jackhammer for stone/ore/concrete?

Refugee
    Hi MadMole and team,

Really enjoy the game and would love to see it continue to grow. Could you please (re)introduce the dog/pack howl?

This is less about giving the players a chance to find cover as it is injecting more fear/excitement into the game.

I know that there has been a lot said about dogs, much of it controversial but I think they are an essential part of 7DtD. The way I see it, this is a game where you should be scared, more or less, almost all of the time. It’s post-apocalyptic and should never be comfortable.

Dogs are one of those mobs that stop you from getting comfortable; they’re murderous, fast and hunt it packs but in recent times, they have been more of a frustration than they are fearsome. This is because when they do spawn, it’s close by and there’s no warning that they are upon you. This sort of sneak attack is great for slow moving walkers where you have a chance of surviving the initial hit. Dogs, however, can often kill in one hit and almost always within a few. To have that kind of fatal event happen without any warning, well, you may as well hit us with a bolt of lightning and be done with it.

What would be great would be a dog or pack howl, much like the scream you hear when horde night is upon you. I thought this used to happen (or was it a dream)? Just a few moments notice of a pack heading towards one of us would really get the hearts racing.

“Wait, what was that, did you hear something?”

“Was that a howl?”

“Dogs! Dogs! Run!”

Maybe having them bark when they see a player and only growl when they get within 20m, or something like that. Anything to increase the sense of dread. If I was walking through a forest and all of a sudden heard the hounds of hell baying in the distance, it would freak me out, even at higher levels.

Hello, Madmole.

Is it possibility to add in simple calls/expressions/gestures, such as whistle (simply press X)?

We have been wondering if there are simple calls in MP game.
    For example) Whistle, tapping the shoulder,...

Now, we have in-game voice chat and text chat, of cource.
    These ways are nice to communicate, but too much to expreess
    "Hey, I've just arrived." or "Cool stuff this is." or "Nice shot."

And, punching your friend to make notice you isn't cool.
    Last edited by Roland; 01-21-2017 at 05:00 AM.

Will the block overhaul for A16 include a prevention for water leaking through 1-deep blocks? or will this be addressed when underwater building is worked on in a future build?

Right now in order to contain water we have to build boxes at least 2 blocks deep on the sides. sometimes it even leaks through on that.
    Last edited by Roland; 01-21-2017 at 05:02 AM.

Hey MM,

Any chance there's going to be an overhaul of the melee to include different weapon styles, animations and effects?

Stuff like parrying, blocking, tripping (with a staff/ spear) or even simpler heavier or lighter melee weapons that may do more or less damage but change your attack speed (kind of like sledgehammer vs club, but with swords).

Refugee

Stack Sizes

Hey MM. Thanks to you and all the team for making such an awesome game. I have now bought 10 copies for others to help grow the base and keep it going and have over 850 hours played!

Any chance stack sizes for all of the base building materials could be normalized the same?

Ex: Wood now stacks to 5000 but stone, concrete powder, concrete mixed, crushed sand, etc are still capped at 1000.

Hey Mad mole,

With the upcoming new block placement system (any shape, any texture) how will that affect the block id # limitation?

Also, the id number limit has gone up, please confirm or deny. (That was a statement, not a second question...)

(okay, Sneaky Pete...) --Roland
    Last edited by Roland; 01-21-2017 at 03:58 AM.