Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Ask Kinyajuu: A Q&A Feature Thread

Refugee
    Will we ever see the canyon in random gen ?

Refugee

Weapon attachments

Hey just wondering if you've been involved in any developer talks on weapon attachments--like an Acog, better sniper scopes with adjustable dopes, red dots, halogen scopes, thermal scopes?

Thanks for an amazing game guys!!!
    Last edited by Roland; 02-02-2017 at 11:57 PM.

Questions

Thanks for opening up for Q&A again...

I posted this in another area - any thought about marine life? Underwater wrecks with treasure? I'd really like to see that area of the map used for more exploring.

Also - please add colored baskets to the minibikes for us coop players - I know some use designated parking spots but when you are out exploring in a group, coming back to the bikes is always a 'look inside the basket to see who's bike it is'. :-)

Thanks for the answers!

Slaymore

Undisclosed bunker somewhere on planet earth
    Hello everyone! Sorry it's taken so long to answer this round of questions. I've been sick. Feeling better now.

Let's get on with the questions.

Quote Originally Posted by ozzysfang View Post
    Thanks for fielding pop flies!
    Will the POI specific zombies work in random gen? Like when you find a bar in a city or town or the skatepark? the military bases work but beyond that you only see them on horde nights.

I really enjoy going to kill a specific zombie for specific loot. Maybe the funnest part about Navesgane
    Once we have sleepers in place, yes. POI spawns were disabled in towns and cities due high spawn counts a long time ago. Once we have the sleeper code going, biome + poi spawn counts won't be an issue. So as of this moment, no. I do think you'll be seeing it return in a16 though.

Quote Originally Posted by sillls View Post
    Roads

Is it possible with voxels to have the roads raised slightly above the surrounding terrain? Sometimes they look they are just painted on the ground. Are there any plans to widen them at all and will cars and other things on the roads ever be able to sit parallel to a sloped road instead of digging into the slope and jutting out from the road?

What improvements do you hope to make to roads in the game? Thanks.
    It's doable, it may happen. I need to finish some code for center-out control points first.

Current "gravel" roads were small because they were meant to be footpaths at one time but tend to be treated like back country roads so I will likely widen it to about half of what a main road is, maybe a little more. The asphalt roads are very wide and I don't see those being widened any more than what they are.

I toyed with some code for making cars at least sit at a proper slant, there were a couple of bugs with it and I didn't get the chance to work out what it was at the time. That being said, cars will eventually look less out of place on roads, it's doable, I simply have to work out some weird bugs with it rotating when taking damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    Can you give us an idea of what you hope to accomplish in this regard-- if your research pans out, how will bandits be able to behave and how will it be different than the AI Task lists the zombies use?
    Mainly I'm hoping to accomplish AI that will provide a challenge without simply headshotting the player. To have ways for them to look at the situation they are in and pick a goal based on that situation. With a game where things can change drastically any second, AI is needed that doesn't use rigid rules but instead picks the best option given the circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareee View Post
    It's great you guys are including a lot of new pois to random gen, but I think some of the mods out there include 100+ new places to explore.

Epic Games used to make free dlc downloads of the best community maps for Unreal Tournament.

My question is could the Pimps do something similar for poi creations as well?
    It's too early on to tell what we'll be doing in that regard. In the meantime, I hear it's pretty easy to go and download those map packs from the mod section. This kind of thing goes along with steam workshop which isn't currently at the top of anyone's list, as far as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Crater Creator View Post
    You expressed how procedural rooms are too difficult. But Madmole has hinted at a simpler system to randomize building interiors, for instance so that not every 'forge house' predictably has a forge inside. In that vein, I see some potentially lower-hanging fruit.

• Each door and window could spawn in a random state. Sometimes they're boarded up, sometimes they're partially damaged, and sometimes they're gone.
    • Doors could also dynamically spawn locked or unlocked, open or closed.
    • Some entities in a given building, like garbage piles and filing cabinets, could be removed at random.
    • Damage could be applied directly to parts of a PoI, effectively like setting small bombs off at random points. This would give buildings a lived-in feel, as if zombie attacks, bandit raids, firefights, etc. have taken their toll.

Variance along these lines would keep exploration interesting, adding a luck factor to where you can gain access, how hard it is, and what loot containers you'll find inside. I'm not sure if what Madmole has talked about is in development or just on the drawing board, but I'm curious where you think you guys can go with the idea. Or if instead you're just going to rely on level artists making more prefabs, will we approach a limit on how many different prefabs the game can practically support?
    I don't know what MM has said or "hinted at", I personally have not heard anything about any of that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by icedsun View Post
    Any chance that some more functions/events could be added into the next API for modders to use? The main one I'd love to see would be the ability to hook into an event when a player (or other entity) dies, with access to the information of how it died, etc. (Something like an OnPlayerDeath(args, args, args, args) event that we can hook.)
    Alloc handles the server side things and "Alloc's Server Fixes" no idea what he's doing with it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    Would it be possible with district system to add themed towns. What I mean is you might have a town that omits certain districts or have ones that are very small. For example a gated community type town. Has a large residential new district with all the rich looking homes and apartments and NO residential old with trailer park/poor homes etc. Also has a commercial/government district. But has a very small industrial with maybe a socket or two or none at all.
    Zones for now will only be the ones we have put in. At some point that will change but for a16, no, you won't be able to add/remove zones.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    Hi Kinyajuu love your work. Is there any plans to fix the way Terrain Shape Blocks and Block Shape Blocks meet(connect) on the top? Right now you get a very unpleasant sharp ditch on the Terrain Shape side. It would really go along way to making RWG POIs and Terrain look more realistic if this was fixed in my opinion. Thanks for doing a question and answer for us. We are getting a lot of good information from you.
    This has to do with how terrain density works, cubes are treated as air, meaning it's making a ramp down. Not something I control, sadly.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Alphado-Jaki View Post
    Hello, Kinyajuu.
    Your works on here are very helpful for us.

My question is about terrain elevations:

First: water level. (Not about a biome, but water blocks filling world)

On Alpha15, we can't modify it on XML, ...I think.
    Older versions support that using "terrain class" or "filluptorg" in biomes.xml.

But, these properties aren't working, and water level is always set on -28 (in-game ELEVATION level)
    in other word, on -1 (Elevation in terrain_generator).

Can we modify it again in A16?
    Or, I'm missing something which can modify it now?

Second: Will the gap be gotten rid of that is between terrain_generator and actual ELEVATION in game?
    (one of terrain_generator -27 = actual one, on now)?
    In a16 you will be able to set the water fill level in the terrain_generator via base_height="5"

Quote Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
    Hi Kinyajuu -

I have a question on self-mutiliation (thanks for leaving that door open Roland; I wasn't sure if I'd ever get to ask this!)

What development tools and processes do you use throughout your workday? (eg Vis. Studio, Agile, etc.) I'm curious what you have incorporated into your development life cycle, and maybe an anecdote or two about what doesn't work.

Thanks!

-A
    Visual Studio, Unity, Notepad++, SVN, Jira, Scraps of paper, a web whiteboard, a real whiteboard, skype, google docs, and the inside of my head.
    What doesn't work? For me, structured and timed creativity. The main reason I love TFP so much is they give me the time needed to be creative with my work instead of treating me like a code printer like a lot of places have.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Heroin.Bob View Post
    I really like the little cemetery in the Old West sort of area and next to some churches. I was wondering if there would be any possibility of a large cemetery (like what you find in the real world) being thrown in to random gen and possibly Navezgane in the future?

My idea for it was that a large horde would spawn there every few days [edit: or atleast upon discovering it] (the dead become zombies at different times, i guess?). It would be an awesome place to just go slaughter zombies, and digging up all those coffins would be interesting. Also, if you threw a crypt or two in there with urns that you could search and possibly a statue, well, that would just be icing on the cake.

I figured this was a terrain question since coffins and headstones are already in the game.

Thanks for answering questions man!
    Honestly depends on what Rick wants next. He heads up that area.

Quote Originally Posted by szalkerous View Post
    Will RWG/sockets ever support (or do you envision) "dynamic" POI spawning? Does the socket system have jurisdiction over the entire map or only hubs?

Clarification/use case: A POI that may not exist during game creation, but the game (via sockets allocation) "spawn" into the world dynamically later on or based off custom criteria. A perfect example is my pipe dream of having custom bandit POIs spawn mid-game. I could see this working if the socket system was able to (ideally in a discrete thread) evaluate a chunk in realtime to see if there is a suitable one that doesn't have players, player structures or existing POIs nearby, and find a good spot to place the newly spawning POI.
    It's over the entire map, I just have to set it up to allow it to spawn in more places, like roadside truckstops and such. This has yet to be done though so it may come later.
    Spawning POIs mid-game is a different thing entirely and not without a lot of work in different areas by various members of the team. I don't think it'll work in that direction. It could, but I haven't heard of anyone looking into allowing for that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Maharin View Post
    Are there any limits has to how tall a POI can be or how far underground it can extend with the new socket system? For instance, could you have a 50 story building with 10 basement floors (assuming you can work out the SI values on such a structure)? Any other size limits we should be aware of when designing a POI ourselves (max volume, max number of sockets used by a single POI, that sort of thing)? For instance, could you create a whole town (above and below ground) as a single POI?
    so long as it's ground level + height is less than 255 it should be fine. No size limits, no. Just limits on the rise and fall amount of terrain allowed in the socket area that the POI wants to spawn at.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Errtu View Post
    Hello!
    Is there any chance we can color clothing to designate team members so that we can more easily discern between friends and enemies?

We constantly confuse, where the enemy is and where friends are. Radar also does not fully work, because of the different altitudes, sometimes the direction is not clear. Thank you!
    Dye has been talked about off an on, more off lately though. I don't know if it's coming any time soon or if at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Vival View Post
    Will we ever see the canyon in random gen ?
    Likely not

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jester2189 View Post
    Hey just wondering if you've been involved in any developer talks on weapon attachments--like an Acog, better sniper scopes with adjustable dopes, red dots, halogen scopes, thermal scopes?

Thanks for an amazing game guys!!!
    We haven't spoken of more attachments. We have spoken about the attributes on weapons and items and making quality a bit more interesting. But I'm not going to go into that yet. Topic for later when it's being built and we can show what it does.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Slaymore View Post
    Thanks for opening up for Q&A again...

I posted this in another area - any thought about marine life? Underwater wrecks with treasure? I'd really like to see that area of the map used for more exploring.

Also - please add colored baskets to the minibikes for us coop players - I know some use designated parking spots but when you are out exploring in a group, coming back to the bikes is always a 'look inside the basket to see who's bike it is'. :-)

Thanks for the answers!

Slaymore
    It's been discussed, still is being discussed. Plants underwater and such only need our water to not want to constantly collapse, otherwise I've tested underwater deco and it does work. There will be some water features at a later point yes.

Thanks for another great round of questions.

We are taking a week off. Kinyajuu is really busy this week (Great news for A16 development).

We'll be back!