Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask Kinyajuu: A Q&A Feature Thread

Undisclosed bunker somewhere on planet earth
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrik View Post
    I was wondering if the Pimps would be willing to give us more options for randomly generated maps. Things like map size (smaller maps would be great for man pvp servers, or servers that ban minibikes) or sliders for terrain and biomes (similar to the Civilization games) would be a great boon to us. Even something to tweak POI frequencies would be rad.

Thank you!
    These will come in time, RWG is still in flux currently but I do want to build an interface for making edits to the rwg mixer file easier. That said, all those things can be edited inside rwgmixer.xml. Check out the mod section of the forums, they have done some amazing stuff with it and would likely be happy to give tips.

Quote Originally Posted by The-Walking-Dad View Post
    How is the socket system coming along, and what have been your moments of personal triumph/frustration during this endeavour?

Thanks for your time.
    It's coming along very well, the actual placement of buildings using the sockets is working 100% I would have to say my personal moment of triumph was getting that part working. The most frustrating thing has been lining things up on hills as it's not nearly as easy as it sounds to blindly lay out a town over some random barely visible (only at 21m intervals) hilly terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by ChJees View Post
    Will the socket system take in account the "needs" of a city? e.g A city\town of a certain minimal population size will have a Shamway in it.
    There are zones and I think that's as far as it needs to go. You should be able to find stores you're looking for in bigger towns and cities where you might not in rural towns. It just mathematically works out that way due to having more commercial zone space available for spawning, increasing the chances for say, a shamway to spawn.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacoviz View Post
    In this cities there Will be gyms, pools, stadiums, libraries and other public place or only Houses? I think Will be more immersive and realistic.
    There will be whatever POIs that are available depending on how they are zoned, there are 4 zones, Residential Old, Residential New, Industrial, and Commercial. There is little difference now between a town and a city aside from size and a couple other surprises I prefer people to find out by playing. But yeah, cities will have lots of stuff aside from just high rise buildings.

Quote Originally Posted by The Gronk View Post
    Are there any plans to vary the size of the prefab footprints, allow two smaller prefabs to share the same building plot, or to allow a prefab to spread over multiple building plots?
    Not sure I understand what you mean. If by plots you mean sockets, then two in one won't happen. That's just trying to take it a bit too far, make a prefab with both in it and call it a day. prefabs span over multiple sockets as needed. I have not a clue what you mean by varying the footprint size.

Quote Originally Posted by adsgind View Post
    Thanks Kinyajuu for giving this Q&A a try!

Similar, but not the same to Gobarg's question about "an end to micro biomes": Seeing as the snow biome is rather important because it allows you to loot Augers and their parts aside from horde nights, could you make sure that a player begins a random game somewhat close to a large enough snow biome? This would also help in finding good amounts of nitrate.

Some of them are too small and have only a few lumberjacks. Others are too far away, which pushes you towards the ~60MB map limit/bug that clears already uncovered areas.
    Where a player spawns is always a hot topic and everyone has their own idea of best spawning places. This is not something I plan on changing. Work with what you got, that's the point of the game, or, If you don't spawn near snow, roll a new game.

You should take the map issue to bug reports, not here. I won't change spawning to fix an unrelated bug, sorry.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by unholyjoe View Post
    Hi there Kinyajuu,
    there's not much talk about it so here's the question...

Will rivers and bridges (improved versions) make it back into the game?

Also... now is your chance to answer questions and direct some back to MM when they apply to his area.

keep up the good work and thank you.
    Not for a16, maybe later down the road. I do want them back, it'll just take a good chunk of time to make it work well.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidrgna View Post
    Hello there Kinyajuu,

Big fan of your work on RWG and played with it much for my mod to create a nicely looking random world. But in A15 it is impossible due to a bug to add in any NEW biomes, I can replace existing once if I use the same name, but I cannot add a new one to the library as it will create an error when you actually go to it (I think Tin discovered it was related to the sounds of the biome). Will this be fixed in the new iteration of Random Gen, as in will the new tools allow us to add extra biomes in?
    I have no idea why it does that, I don't work on sounds, that belongs to Ryan Favale. Also, this should go in the bug report section. No the current set of tools do not have anything like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareee View Post
    Welcome to the q&a madness!

How far along with your work towards the a16 release are you, and have you looked at all into adding rivers, streams, or waterfalls?

(I'd imagine waterfalls would have to be pois plugged in like intersections along roads.)
    About 75% done with RWG, then who knows what else will be on my plate after this. It'll depend on what Rick and Joel feel is the next highest priority. I have not looked into those this go around, the town code itself was quite a bit of work and not at all easy, I'm still working out some of it. Rivers and streams may come later on (post a16) but I don't see waterfalls happening, too much of a logistics issue.

Quote Originally Posted by schwanz9000 View Post
    If you had everything else done, had the time, and was given the green light, what is something you'd like to add to the game?
    Well, considering a lot of things are already in progress, there isn't a whole lot really. Maybe changing item stats to be more diable like, with 6 tiers and unique stats for items found in those tiers. That way there is a lot more horizontal choice in the looting and crafting portion of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Synthetic Messiah View Post
    Hello Robert,

being the guy responsible for the awesomeness that is random gen, are you invloved in the planned world building feature and willing to (at this point) address questions relating thereto?

Kudos to another funpimp facing the forum's madness, may your beard grow formidable and your pockets swell with peso.
    Yes, I'm involved with it. At this time, no, I still have a lot of design meetings with Rick before I can give even a half gelled answer, let alone a solid one.

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tin View Post
    So after you get done with Random Gen whats next on the list for the Ninja?
    Not really sure, I will likely find out over the next few days. I tend to hop to wherever I'm needed at the time. I'm hoping it's survivors and bandits though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by spud42 View Post
    is there any chance we could zoom out a little bit more on the map screen? not the entire extent of the map but maybe double what we have now?
    The new previewer let's you hold down the right mouse button and fly around so you can zoom in/out as much as you like at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Slaan View Post
    Madmole already mentioned we'll only get vanilla prefabs working with the distant PoI's in A16 and that there may be tools made available in future for custom prefabs to be converted into this system.

Are there any limitations to what types of prefab can be added to this distant drawing system or do you think any prefab regardless of dimensions could be made to work?

and a not so important one,

The old grid cities while quite boring compared to the layouts we've seen snippets of with the socket system offered some interesting ways to modify because of the method of dropping prefabs onto a 'cityblock' which contained the details like paths, curbs and street lights etc. Will the new socket system also have a way of incorporating these details too? or are we gonna have something similar to the current town layouts where the prefabs are sitting next to the road with no other details.

I've already decided after 16 drops to work on a custom hub to preserve the 'old' style city so things like the sewer/subway cityblock mod can still be enjoyed, no ninja changes to custom hub layouts please ;D
    Christian Lang is the expert in this as I only did some R&D and a proof of concept on it. Being that the school shows up I'm assuming large ones will be allowed.

The socket system will not have this kind of thing in it at this time. Maybe in the future once it's proved out and more stable. We do want to try to add curbs to socket towns and cities though, there are some issues I need to work out first though.

Custom Hubs will stay in the game, they will still have the cutouts for obvious reasons. I'm working with a select few modders on getting it working nice and tight, aside from that it won't have changes done to it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gamida View Post
    Same question I askd MM and he said to ask you

Is there any chance we can name HUB ourselves. It will add to the game as in for example my game/server I could have a Gambo, Gamboville, Gamtown, etc
    Once names actually show in game then likely so.

round two
    Last edited by Roland; 01-27-2017 at 07:52 AM.

Will we possibly see lakeside towns where the town wraps around the shore of a lake or even island towns with a nearby Lonely Mountain....

Are there any adjustments in the works to improve the terrain generator when it reaches max altitude?

As it stands now, it's common to find mountains with a large peak flattened on top so there is a bit of space above it to build. I understand why it's there (and why it might require adjustment with the new gyrocopter for a reasonable flight ceiling), but something about the large plateaus just stands out as weird.

On the new cave system..Will it support underground pois, like old mines, scattered boulders, underground water, stalactities and stalagmites, or caverns with rock formations?

We frequent real caves, and it would be fantastic to mine into a more realistic cavern formation. (Minecraft attempts a more developed underground biome.)

And again, thanks for your creative work!