Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Graphics Card question

Community Moderator SylenThunder's Avatar
    I just wanted to drop some information in here on the SSD vs Platter bit since I have some extremely interesting results.

First we'll start with the platters. In this case I have two 1GB Hitachi TravelStar drives paired in a Marvell RAID controller set to RAID0. They aren't the fastest platter drives you can find, but they are pretty standard, and they aren't slow my any means. Setting them in Raid0 helps to boost access speeds. It's probably not double what a single drive would be, but it is rather close using a Hardware RAID with a built-in SSD buffer. I'll get a single drive speed done later after I finish upgrading another system.

Next, we have a standard 2D NAND SSD. This drive has been in use for a couple of years now. I don't recall the exact model off the top of my head, and cannot look at that system right now. It was most likely one of the upper tier Corsair SSD's available at the time. I wasn't skimping on that system at all.

And finally, my brand new Samsung Evo with the 3D Nand technology. I was looking for fast, but affordable as I was purchasing multiple drives.

Now, you can run a pair of platter drives like that and have 2GB Storage for about the same price as a 500GB SSD. However, the SSD speeds aren't going to disappoint at all.

And for those curious about how long the drives really last, here's an article from lifehacker.

Oh, and on a side note....
    The Platter drive test, is just a storage drive I'm loading most of my games on, downloads, and using for security cam recordings. There wasn't anything running on it at all during the test.
    The SSD's however, were running Windows during the test as they are the primary drives in each system.

I got slightly different results using the same program as you...

Gaming rig:

And just for weird variety... a laptop and it's external hdd:

The laptop has 2 partitions of 500GB in case you're wondering why it only shows 500GB in the pic.

But with all that said and done, I still think SSDs aren't worth all the hype for gaming. General use, sure, but for gaming,... meh.

Community Moderator SylenThunder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    ....But with all that said and done, I still think SSDs aren't worth all the hype for gaming. General use, sure, but for gaming,... meh.
    Agreed, because gaming mostly loads what it needs into RAM, and then doesn't utilize the hard drive.
    I have a tested a couple of games (7DTD was one), on a RAM drive, and the only noticeable improvement was in much shortened load times. After the initial load, it was all the same as running on a slow platter. You'd see improved FPS for about 30 seconds, and then when all the textures were loaded, it was the same as it was before setting it on a RAM disk.
    Especially when you consider that the 250GB Evo is almost $100, yet the Hitachi 1TB drive is merely $57. Sure, Windows will boot in a minute 30 with the SSD instead of the 5 or 6 minutes it takes with the platter. In the end though, you're not going to see a significant difference unless you are constantly loading large amounts of data.

-Edit-

Wrong post......

Graphic cards?

Go big or go home

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/pny-xlr8...?skuId=5656049
    Last edited by xXC.H.U.DXx; 03-04-2017 at 06:54 PM.

Ranger
    To the OPs question, more information is needed. Specifically, what monitor do you plan to buy?

If it's a standard or ultra wide with 1080 lines of resolution, a 970 will play 7 days just fine in both cases. I can't speak for 1440, but I have hooked my 970 powered gaming computer to my 4K OLED TV, I got about 20fps or less at 4K. If you plan to game on a 4K monitor, and want to run at 4K, you will want a 1080.

As far as SSDs go, I consider them very crucial depending on the game. For open world games, definitely needed. Elder Scrolls Oblivion would pause for loading a lot once I got my athletics high enough. A RAID fixed it (and so would an SSD if they were available at the time.) I only ever played Skyrim on an SSD, and load times were never an issue. World of Warcraft loads a lot in certain cases, so it's nice to have load times that are half as long as mechanical load times. (I measured)

But I'm old enough that I grew up on the NES, SNES, and N64. So zero load times were what I was used to, soon loading still bugs me today.

I'd like to see games that are coded to better exploit SSDs. For example, in the next Elder Scrolls/Fallout/et. al, id like entering a building, cave, or new area to be seamless. (Like it is in 7 Days to Die!)
    Last edited by DanLW; 03-08-2017 at 07:27 PM.