Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: ComSenMod (now for A17)

Ranger
    Crater-Creator Fix the weather a good idea. Good mod, but there are deficiencies. To loot the number of items low. For example, two nails, one arrowhead, and four tokens... It would be good to increase the number of rounds in gun safes and cabinets, not less than 20. Found concrete mixture in amount of 29, why? You need at least 100, then it will be good. Will it be fixed?

Community Moderator Crater Creator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TARCH26 View Post
    Crater-Creator Fix the weather a good idea. Good mod, but there are deficiencies. To loot the number of items low. For example, two nails, one arrowhead, and four tokens... It would be good to increase the number of rounds in gun safes and cabinets, not less than 20. Found concrete mixture in amount of 29, why? You need at least 100, then it will be good. Will it be fixed?
    Okay, Tarch. You've convinced me. In vanilla, you find arrowheads in trash one at a time. In ComSenMod, you would find between one and five. But I see your point, that finding one arrowhead isn't fun even if it doesn't happen often. You might go a long time before finding any more, and in the meantime it takes longer to make one arrow and load it in your bow than it does to use that arrow. So based on your feedback, I went through all the loot and adjusted the "count" values for many things. For example, now you find between 4 and 12 arrowheads at once.

If taken too far, this will make the game too easy. If you always find ten nails, for example, then it's like changing the recipe so a crate requires one nail, except things are bloated with inflation. You shouldn't always find as much as you need from one container. You should have to gather resources from multiple places sometimes. On the other hand, finding one nail from ten or more different trash piles is too tedious and hit-or-miss. So I set the junk group to have between five and fifteen nails.

This is the philosophy I used when setting the numbers on about twenty different items. I'm testing my values now. I'm sure they'll need more tweaking before I'm happy with the result.

I did not change the "guns+ammo" group, which gun safes use. I feel the number of rounds is already useful, especially because you find a weapon and ammo at the same time, and the weapon comes loaded with ammo. I feel that scarce ammo is part of the game, so maybe explain why you think more ammo is a good idea.

I don't understand how you found 29 concrete mix. I set it to a range between 100 and 200 units. This matches the rebar frames, which have a range between ten and twenty units. Maybe I don't understand the effect of skill levels and loot settings as well as I thought.

Ranger
    Crater-Creator At the military base there with the safe open, it found 1 ammo for the shotgun. It's funny how something. This is how to open your refrigerator and discover 1 pea on the middle shelf. 29 concrete mix found in a box working tools store.

Was it a gun safe or a munitions box? And, do you remember if there was a shotgun that came with the ammo?

The concrete really makes no sense. There is no concrete mix in vanilla, and I just checked the concrete mix in ComSenMod. It only appears in Working Stiffs crates, and the quantity has always been between 100 and 200 units.

Code:
    <lootgroup name="workingStiffs" count="1">
    	<item name="pickaxeIron"/>
    	<item name="shovelIron"/>
    	<item name="fireaxeIron"/>
    	<item name="hoeIron"/>
    	<item name="clawHammer"/>
    	<item name="wrench" prob="0.8"/>
    	<item name="repairKit" count="1,4"/>
    	<item name="woodFrameBlock" count="10,30"/>
    	<item name="rebarFrameBlock" count="10,20"/>
    	<item name="concreteMix" count="100,200"/>
    	<item name="nail" count="10,40"/>
    	<item name="wood" count="50,250"/>
    	<item name="anvil" count="1"/>
    	<item name="ironDoor1_v1"/>
    	<item name="sledgehammer"/>
    	<item group="nailgun+parts"/>
    	<item name="calipers" prob="0.67"/>
    	<item name="toolAndDieSet" prob="0.67"/>
    	<item group="rareTools"/>
    	<item group="automotive" prob="2"/>
    	<item name="forgedIron" count="5,15" prob="0.21"/> <!-- together 2% per crate -->
    	<item name="forgedSteel" count="3,12" prob="0.12"/>
    	<item name="fertilizer" count="1,3" prob="0.5"/>
    	<item name="electricParts" count="4,8" prob=".5"/>
    	<item name="electronicParts" count="1,3" prob=".2"/>
    	<item name="mechanicalParts" count="4,10" prob="1"/>
    	<item name="scrapPlastics" count="4,8" prob=".4"/>
    </lootgroup>

Ranger
    Crater-Creator I apologize, of course munitions box.

Can we add a way to craft emptyJar from "filled" jar?

Example: you can just dump the water inside "bottledRiverWater" and it'll obviously turn to "emptyJar"

Here is addition to recipes.xml:
    Code:
    <recipe name="emptyJar" count="1">
    	<ingredient name="bottledWater" count="1"/>
    </recipe>

<ingredient name="bottledRiverWater" count="1"/>
    </recipe>

<ingredient name="beer" count="1"/>
    </recipe>

<ingredient name="coffee" count="1"/>
    </recipe>

<ingredient name="goldenRodTea" count="1"/>
    </recipe>

<ingredient name="grainAlcohol" count="1"/>
    </recipe>

<ingredient name="redTea" count="1"/>
    </recipe>

<ingredient name="snowberryJuice" count="1"/>
    </recipe>

Quote Originally Posted by SenLim View Post
    Can we add a way to craft emptyJar from "filled" jar?

Example: you can just dump the water inside "bottledRiverWater" and it'll obviously turn to "emptyJar"

Here is addition to recipes.xml:
    Code:
    	<ingredient name="bottledWater" count="1"/>
    </recipe>

<ingredient name="bottledRiverWater" count="1"/>
    </recipe>

<ingredient name="beer" count="1"/>
    </recipe>

<ingredient name="coffee" count="1"/>
    </recipe>

<ingredient name="goldenRodTea" count="1"/>
    </recipe>

<ingredient name="grainAlcohol" count="1"/>
    </recipe>

<ingredient name="redTea" count="1"/>
    </recipe>

<ingredient name="snowberryJuice" count="1"/>
    </recipe>
    I like this idea. The ability to empty out whatever's in the jar would be sensible. It strikes me as analogous to scrapping. I think you could scrap a full jar to an empty jar if empty jars were their own material. Then we wouldn't have to add a bunch of recipes.

I have an item on my To Do list to scrap arrows to get either the arrowhead or the feather back, where I plan to use the same approach. It's just an area of modding I haven't tackled yet.

I think cornBread should stick to cookingPot because it requires bottledWater.

Edit: Same goes to blueberryPie

I think cornBread should stick to cookingPot because it requires bottledWater.

Edit: Same goes to blueberryPie
    Okay, I see what you're getting at. I broke my own convention that if water's in the recipe, you use the pot. But intuitively, you don't boil breads or pies - you bake them. Grilling is the closest thing we have to baking.

So I researched real recipes for cornbread and blueberry pie with a cornmeal crust. The real recipes use more shortening than water. So in the game, these recipes will require animal fat instead of bottled water.

This kills 3 birds with one stone.
    • It maintains the water=pot convention.
    • It keeps these recipes on the grill, which makes the most sense
    • It satisfies my desire to use animal fat as a cooking ingredient, in general.

Neither food hydrates you, so this doesn't create an exploit to get free hydration, either.

I think this will make the game better. I'll test it along with other changes for the next release of ComSenMod, coming soon™. Thanks for catching this, SenLim!

Lol sounds good!

Boy, it's hard to stop tinkering long enough to actually make a release. My local change list has grown to over 60 items.

I was finally able to test weather survival in different biomes, and it feels good. Wear your coat inside, and you'll generally get hot. Venture naked into the pine forest, or worse yet jump in a pool, and you'll get cold. Walk through the desert, and you're hot in long sleeves, pants, and boots; but tolerably warm in tank top, shorts, and shoes.

As before, the bulk of the changes will be loot related. People in the ComSenMod universe will soon stop carrying around doorknobs & candlesticks, cool actual beverages in their refrigerators instead of only empty jars, put papers inside desks instead of their clothes, and so on.

One more highlight: you'll dismantle bird nests with an axe instead of a wrench.

I didn't know you can dismantle nest... what for though? relocate?

I didn't know you can dismantle nest... what for though? relocate?
    Same reason to dismantle a car, for resources. It's not the same as dismantling a workbench.

By dismantle I mean harvest, like animals. I personally have been playing with no loot respawn, so it's worth chopping up bird nests. You get those last few feathers, and the nest is destroyed so you don't keep revisiting nests that are already empty.

I like most of your edits, well done.

I suggest you consider adding one new feature though. I don't understand why felling trees produces cordwood, rather than logs first. It would be common sense that chopping down a tree would drop "woodLogPillar100" which is an existing block. It would be great if a pillar50 block was added for smaller trees, but the pillar100 would be more realistic than dropping already chopped up chunks of wood. These pillar logs then can be chopped into wood pieces, or in other mods made into planks using a saw.