Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Console port disappointing

Refugee

Console port disappointing

My husband and I love the concept of the game. We play everyday and have overlooked the games glitches and errors so far, but the console port doesnt live up to the pc version. It was disappointing to find out that pc players get to experience more than the console players. Console versions do not have traders, console random gen maps do not generate all the poi that the original world map offers. Yet the original world map is much smaller and becomes repetitive after a time. I dont think it's asking too much that console players get the same experience pc players get. We paid for the game and now we get to hear and watch videos from pc players of things we cant experience on our console versions. I waited anxiously for the release of this game on for the ps4 and now I am just frustrated and disappointed. Still playing and waiting in hopes that the console versions will be fixed soon so we can have the same experience the pc players have enjoyed.

you have read the many threads on this already right?

Colony Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Mama guru View Post
    My husband and I love the concept of the game. We play everyday and have overlooked the games glitches and errors so far, but the console port doesnt live up to the pc version. It was disappointing to find out that pc players get to experience more than the console players. Console versions do not have traders, console random gen maps do not generate all the poi that the original world map offers. Yet the original world map is much smaller and becomes repetitive after a time. I dont think it's asking too much that console players get the same experience pc players get. We paid for the game and now we get to hear and watch videos from pc players of things we cant experience on our console versions. I waited anxiously for the release of this game on for the ps4 and now I am just frustrated and disappointed. Still playing and waiting in hopes that the console versions will be fixed soon so we can have the same experience the pc players have enjoyed.
    The PC get more than consoles because a) PCs can do more than our consoles and b) their version is an Alpha game so is still being built. They get new features but they are also testing them out to see what works and what doesn't. We will get whatever the console can handle (if Microsoft and Sony agree), once the features are stable. We're already getting little bits ported over now (such as the dynamic hordes). The PC and console versions will always be different, but new content will come. Check out https://7daystodie.com/forums/showth...d-for-Consoles for more information.

Consoles got a POI fix in a past update, meaning that random gen worlds get more of the POIs that appear in the Navezgane Map. It does come down to what seed you are using through. Some are laden with towns, cities and single POIs all over the map. Try map seeds such as crackpot20 - this is a great map. There is a thread running on here with various seed names you can try. https://7daystodie.com/forums/showth...hp?43847-Seeds.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Damselx1; 03-16-2017 at 09:09 PM. Reason: correction

Quote Originally Posted by SilvenWolf View Post
    you have read the many threads on this already right?
    Who cares? This is one of the biggest complaints about the 7DTD console version and I don't think it should be required that someone bury this feedback in a thread that has various people saying the same thing. The squeaky wheel gets the oil and if people's feedback on one of the most important issues regarding the console edition is relegated to a "specific thread or forum" it may not getting the attention it deserves.

Quite honestly the pace of updates for the console has been anemic at best. My enthusiasm for this game rapidly diminished as A15 features didn't seem to make the console cut at the time yet PC was on to A16.

The issue isn't 100% hey Iron Galaxy you haven't made the Console Edition support A15 features yet what gives?

It seems that Iron Galaxy is mostly a silent partner here. While Clare has been great about keeping us up to date with all the goings on for the Console I feel like Iron Galaxy could be a bit more forth coming with a development road map. They could have this road map completely documented with various caveats so they CYA but at least give us a better communication channel than "hey you just wait and see you console guys -- we got some good stuff for you".

The Fun Pimps have set a pretty high bar, they do videos regularly showcasing different ideas, speaking freely about features, speaking freely about when to expect said features and on occasion they are wrong and correct themselves in a future video. Iron Galaxy in terms of information couldn't be any less involved it seems. Perhaps I am overlooking something but I feel like as a console player I am completely in the dark about the direction of the console edition and I am starting to wonder feature if parity between the PC and Console is a pipe dream.

EDIT -- I get it that perhaps Iron Galaxy has contractual obligations to remain mostly silent and let The Fun Pimps be the distributor of information, and if that is the case why can't the console guys get Monthly videos kind of the way the PC guys get weekly ones? If they can't show any progress on a month to month basis -- what progress is being made?

The last update only giving us Signs was such a punch in the gut. It really blew the wind out of my sails for this 7DTD console. So many features on the PC that need to come to PC and we get distant terrain and signs. Granted it is better than nothing and I like having new features but the update pace is painfully slow. Especially when we are in nearly a complete vacuum for information.
    Last edited by DoucheVader; 03-16-2017 at 08:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Damselx1 View Post
    The PC get more than consoles because a) PCs can do more than our consoles and b) their version is an Alpha game so is still being built. They get new features but they are also testing them out to see what works and what doesn't. We will get whatever the console can handle (if Microsoft and Sony agree), once the features are stable. We're already getting little bits ported over now (such as the dynamic hordes). The PC and console versions will always be different, but new content will come. Check out https://7daystodie.com/forums/showth...d-for-Consoles for more information.
    Yeah this doesn't change the fact that console updates have been supremely slow. The last update for Consoles we got Signs!

Most of us on the console would be fine with slow updates if we got the type of information you guys on the PC did. Why can't we get regular videos that showcase what we can expect to find in the next update for the console?

Slow Updates + No Information About Said Updates = Sad Gamer. LOL

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Damselx1 View Post
    Consoles got a POI change in a past update, meaning that random gen worlds get more of the POIs that appear in the Navezgane Map. It does come down to what seed you are using through. Some are laden with towns, cities and single POIs all over the map. Try map seeds such as crackpot20 - this is a great map. There is a thread running on here with various seed names you can try. https://7daystodie.com/forums/showth...hp?43847-Seeds. Hope this helps.
    Actually the POI thing was a bug and it was fixed. I like bugs being fixed but I also like new features.

Also given the PC is on A15 with new features, POIs and such won't the seeds from PC be different on Console?

EDIT -- That one thread you pointed out about Alpha 15 and the console really kind of makes my point. That was back in October 2016 and we really don't have any more information about things TODAY. It has been months now and so far in terms of new features we have distant terrain and signs. Maybe that represents months worth of work, maybe the team at Iron Galaxy is like 2 guys, I don't know - no one ever tells us JACK FECES in terms of what is going on with the console port. I don't know who is responsible for that lack of information but as a consumer of the game I find it to be highly annoying.
    Last edited by DoucheVader; 03-16-2017 at 08:48 PM.

Colony Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by DoucheVader View Post

- - - Updated - - -
    Actually the POI thing was a bug and it was fixed.
    I knew it arrived in an update but forgot it was part of a fix. Will make the correction to my original post.
    Last edited by Damselx1; 03-16-2017 at 09:11 PM.

Colony Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by DoucheVader View Post
    Also given the PC is on A15 with new features, POIs and such won't the seeds from PC be different on Console?
    Yes they would, that's why I linked the OP to the console list of seeds. I'm a console player (PS4) and am using the crackpot20 seed now so I know it works.

its really very simple, console is based on what was a14 period. nothing more to expect, nothing more owed and nothing more due. the game is what it is period. no info has ever been stated that it would be anything else than what it is.

so why would you expect anything more? where is this info that says anything more.
    Last edited by SilvenWolf; 03-16-2017 at 09:32 PM.

Refugee
    I may be in the minority here, since I just bought the game 2 days ago, but having said that I bought the game based on what it is now. I checked out reviews and let's plays when it was first released on PS4 and I wasn't impressed so I didn't buy it then. I was impressed with what it became, so I bought it now knowing it is still not 100% perfect and accepting that. I plan to play it now and hopefully get my money's worth out of it (which shouldn't be a problem because I'm quite enjoying it).
    Just yesterday I watched a let's play for the PC version and was very impressed with the graphics, etc. That didn't make me suddenly hate the PS4 version though. It actually made me think maybe in the future I'll get the PC version too.

This is all a very long-winded post just to say that I don't understand why some people either buy something now hoping it will be improved, or why people buy one thing and compare it to another thing they didn't buy.
    I'm probably going to get some hate for saying that - especially from people who have owned the game for a long time. But I like to research things before I buy them, to avoid such regret (or anger?).

I like the PS4 version. If the developers improve it for me, that's a bonus. If not, I'm still enjoying it.

The go-to base rule at the moment, for games at least, seems to be:

$1 per hour.

If you paid $10 for a game and you got ten hours worth of enjoyment out of it, then you're good. Paid $10 and got twenty hours? Even better.

Since I own two copies of this game on console and two on PC, I can safely say that my console time alone paid for the other three copies.

its really very simple, console is based on what was a14 period. nothing more to expect, nothing more owed and nothing more due. the game is what it is period. no info has ever been stated that it would be anything else than what it is.

so why would you expect anything more? where is this info that says anything more.
    This is what baffles me too. All these complaints about lack of updates and features. The game was sold as A14 feature complete. I don't recall ever seeing anything officially stated that there would be updates for an already finished feature complete A14 game. It sounds more like entitlement to me. Maybe console owners should stop watching the videos if they are to remain on the console build.

Colony Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Glimpse View Post

$1 per hour.

If you paid $10 for a game and you got ten hours worth of enjoyment out of it, then you're good. Paid $10 and got twenty hours? Even better.

Since I own two copies of this game on console and two on PC, I can safely say that my console time alone paid for the other three copies.
    I paid £30 for mine (downloaded it from the PS Store). I bought it when the game came out and play it several times a week, often for long periods. I must have put in hundreds of hours and don't plan to stop anytime soon. I can honestly say I've had my money's worth out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Glimpse View Post

$1 per hour.

I have absolutely got value for money on this game, however if I use your calculations I now feel like I have stolen the game  I’m going to have to buy a couple more copies to ease my conscience 

Because of the Alpha 15 and beyond sticky post and the Reddit that TT and IG did shortly after console release. If you bother to actually do some research you'd have that answer. However their stance has changed quite a bit since then to a maybe, maybe never because of console lack of hardware to keep up.

- - - Updated - - -

Even if they back peddle and we get nothing else, I got my money's worth from this game and still play the hell out of it.

Community Moderator SylenThunder's Avatar

Post Here is a conversation I had recently regarding the console port.

Originally Posted by ♥♥♥♥♥♥
    Can we level ? You know how it must feel for us console players being so behind. I'm not ignorant, but I can't help feeling like I slipped into another console mess. It's Obvious many fans feel like me, but I want some sort of reassurance I have a reason to think this game will get better. I really will never understand how in 2017 someone could drop this and call it complete when anyone with 2020 vision sees otherwise . I see constant downplay os ps4s processing power, which i can't help but doubt w this game . Either way, if this TFP really cares and isn't just using walking dead for money , it'll show. It has to, they will have competition, and honestly how could someone compare a future holding a possibly more complete competitior? I want to see bandits, npcs and the like over time but TFP is adamantly making no promises? Honestly , man to man, gamer to gamer, do you think this game will be worth it on consoles anytime soon?
    I'll be perfectly honest, there is a multitude of issues with both the console releases, publicity, and how everything has been handled. I was really surprised when TFP announced that Telltale/Iron Galaxy was doing a port for the console. I mean, the PC Alpha test has been running mostly smoothly, but there's plenty of room for improvement still, plus a lot of planned features that we have yet to see the light of day on. (Don't get me started on the breadcrumb system. I'm still pissed that wasn't in a13/14/15.) Something else to keep in mind is that I'm primarily a PC user myself. I've been playing this game for a couple of years now, and have well over 2000 hours played. (Okay, maybe not well over, it's at 2147 right now, but I've got a few hundred offline hours logged in there too from my own private server development that don't show up on Steam.) I host 3 servers right now on my own hardware, and was pretty big in modding the game as well until life took most of my free time away.
    I have the console version as well for the PS4, and use it mostly for troubleshooting to help you guys, and for bug testing for the team. One day I may get a XB1, but I'll need a larger income before that happens.

Sorry, I strayed off-topic a tad there. This will likely be a long response too, just because I tend to rattle on sometimes.
    Porting Unity games to the consoles is a new thing. It's not just new for this particular title, it's completely new for the Unity Engine. That's something to keep in mind as well. 7DTD isn't the only Unity game flopping on the console. Almost every Unity game that's been ported is. Come to think of it, every Unity game I can think of on the PC that is a major player, is still in Alpha stages. Which is something else to consider. Then you've got the whole issue where true 3D voxels requires a lot more from hardware than your standard game with 2D textures that are in simulated 3D. (link)
    I mean, just for comparison, my PC isn't exactly old, but the tech is a only couple years back there now. I have one of the first i7 hexa-core CPU's, 16GB RAM, and this really aging Nvidia GT660 Ti video card. I'm struggling to play a lot of newer games due to the aging video card, but I'm still able to really squeeze some decent framerates out of it. I can get a solid 60FPS in GTA-V or the new Doom without issues on medium settings. Fire up Empyrion or 7DTD though, and I struggle to stay in the upper 40's to 50's with medium to low settings. That's largely because of the computations for a large quantity blocks with full 3D texturing.

Now toss that mess onto a console. Your Xbox or PS4 hardware is about equivalent to an old Pentium Core 2 Quad CPU. That's about 3 chipset generations behind what I'm currently running on my main PC. The consoles have a very limited amount of RAM (8GB if memory servers, shared by both system and video), and a lackluster GPU driving the video. It doesn't help things that the Xbox has additional limitations imposed my Microsoft, or that the RAM in the XB1 is two generations behind the PS4. (PS4 has 8GB GDDR5, but the XB1 has 8GB of DDR3).

If you have half of a clue about hardware advancements over the past 5-8 years, you can see what a stretch it is to match the console to anything a PC is currently capable of. Now, with that in mind, you're taking a game engine that is testing the limitations of most standard PC's that have released in the past 2-3 years, and dropping it onto a system that is what the PC hardware equivalent was around 10 years ago. You might see now why I was so shocked to hear that it was releasing on a console.

Now since we have these huge hardware limitations preventing us from doing a lot with the console, it's even harder to take what is barely working now and add even more content to it. Especially content like more vehicles that will really put an extreme tax on the texture memory. Same goes for bandits and UMA zombies. (The last to are not, or are barely implemented on the PC still. I'm still waiting for functioning bandits.)

In the end though, it's not about TFP caring about the console, or about how it's doing. TFP isn't primarily developing for the console, they are developing for the PC. Also, because of the previously mentioned generational leaps in hardware, you're going to see a LOT more features and expansion on the PC title than the console will ever be capable of as is sits now. The console port, updates, development, and so forth, is almost entirely at the hands of Telltale games and Iron Galaxy. Yes, they work together with TFP on patches and development, but TFP's primary focus is on the PC title. (I think I said that already, sorry.)

A bit of information on the process was posted by madmole on Youtube. If you can stay awake though it, (no offense madmole), it is informative. It's a huge oversimplification of the process, but it gives you a general idea. IMHO, Telltale/IG could be a bit more open about their development process, the hurdles they are running into, and what their gameplan is. Claire does a pretty good job of keeping us up to date with what she is able to. She works really hard at keeping us abreast with changes and information. Plus there is all the work she does as a relay of information between you guys and the developers.

To answer your last question, "Yes". I believe this game will really shine on the consoles, once they get it optimized better, and stabilize some of the features. Things like the minibike still don't work on the PC even, so it won't get fixed on the console until it's on the PC. Same goes with Bandits, other vehicls, ect cetera, ect cetera.

TLR Console hardware sucks, going to have to live with it's limitations on content.