Thread: Lack of coal

Refugee

Lack of coal

Ps4
    Survival difficulty
    Random Gen Map

I have started and restarted maps probably close to 100 times total and have never run into this issue, so I don't know if this is a bug or just bad luck on map generation.

Any map that I have played on, until recently, there has been coal randomly spread on the surface, but pretty easily found. Also on any map that I have played, any cave system found that had one ore (Nitrate, Iron, Lead, Coal) had them all, except caves in desert bioms. The map I am currently on, and thinking about it the last few previous maps, there is very little coal on the surface and absolutely no coal in cave systems. Also the nitrate that I find is only in stalagmites and stelagtites found, not in digging into the cave. I used to take an existing cave and dig into it and pull all ore is great amounts. Now I only get Iron and Lead. I can use wood to cook and smelt, but I can't make gunpowder. Is this a bug? Or bad luck in map generation?

Bad luck in generation for the above ground nodes. As far as finding nitrate underground, you want to dig in the forest biomes. But I feel your pain. In the map Shamalot, I have a massive underground mine beneath my forge house temp base, I've dug for 3 real life hours straight in a massive radius so big I'm waiting for the whole biome section to collapse and corrupt the entire map and still haven't found any ore veins. None at all. I think it's all a bit of luck in the map generation.

Refugee
    I'll try and find a cave in the forest. But I've been in 4 caves, 3 in plains and one in desert. I really don't want to restart because I've explored a good portion of the map and I'm in a great location. I've found 3 cities, and not a central city with 2 side cities that are smaller. But 3 full cities, in ruins. And I had just happened to start building equal distance from all 3. I just don't have coal.

Desert and plains definitely don't​ have nitrate. Most everywhere else does though.

- - - Updated - - -

One thing you should do is if you ha EA a burned out zone, chop up all the burned wood, they give wood and coal. That should help a bit.

This indeed sounds like just a bad luck with the map generation. Resource placement is random too.

Thanks Funkinstein for your suggestions. I would also recommend having somewhere beside a burnt biome if you like to use a lot of coal, all the wood piles there give a bit. Just be careful you don't set yourself on fire!

Clare