Page 74 of 74 FirstFirst ... 2464727374
Results 1,096 to 1,109 of 1109

Thread: Prefab Editor (Alpha)

Preview of v0.81

Last edited by Pille; 05-15-2019 at 04:50 PM.

Scavenger
    does the game need to be installed.. to use the editor??

my main rig is off line.. working from a laptop

me

In theory, yes. In practice, no. You only need certain xml files from the game located inside a certain directory structure to start the editor.^^ However, the editor doesn't have a sufficient 3D View and it can't properly display the rotations of the blocks. Thus, it may be useless without the 3-dimensional representation of the prefabs that the ingame editor offers.

Scavenger
    thx

me

Looks like we can have static entity spawns now. Last time I tested this feature I made a mistake making me believe that it did work (enemy spawn was off^^). Static spawns should allow one-time spawns of all entities listed in the F6 menu (perhaps even vehicles). The entities can be placed much more precisely than sleepers.

Bears spawned via static spawn:

Next update is planned for the end of the week. Implementing static entity spawning may take a bit longer though.

Quote Originally Posted by Pille View Post
    Looks like we can have static entity spawns now. Last time I tested this feature I made a mistake making me believe that it did work (enemy spawn was off^^). Static spawns should allow one-time spawns of all entities listed in the F6 menu (perhaps even vehicles). The entities can be placed much more precisely than sleepers.
    ///
    That's good news!
    I thought it stopped working! I often use static spawn!
    hmmm.....do i need to use a block with a "spawnTrader" class for this? Or is there something specifically created for this? Is that what You were looking for before?
    Last edited by n2n1; 4 Weeks Ago at 02:41 PM.

No, it's unrelated to the spawnTrader block (and to any other blocks). You just need to add some additional data to the .tts file. The method is identical to that of Hal's (A15) editor. There are a few issues though.

1. Afaik the static spawns are not visible in the ingame editor unless you start a playtest.
    2. Saving the prefab in the ingame editor will delete all static spawns. That means I have to store a copy of those data somewhere else (for instance in the .pille file) to allow the user to use both editors simultaneously.
    3. The Assembly-CSharp.dll is a hard read for old Pille.^^ Not sure how long it takes to implement the feature.

Quote Originally Posted by n2n1 View Post
    Is that what You were looking for before?
    I don't know what I was looking for before. But it's the same feature we have discussed a few month or years ago. Static spawns have already worked in previously alphas, on the Navezgane map only though. Now it looks like as if the random gen worlds has become more technically similar to Navezgane making the static spawn stuff work.
    Last edited by Pille; 4 Weeks Ago at 04:18 PM.

Well, yeah, that's not convenient. But it is better that this function was available than it will not be at all.
    Previously, there were much more problems with the creation of prefabs and various tricks
    I still use the built-in editor from A15 to create/smooth the terrain (only there is this feature). This is complicated. This involves numerous conversions, but i don't know the best way to work with terrain.

I don't know what I was looking for before.
    that's about it
    https://7daystodie.com/forums/showth...l=1#post785867
    Last edited by n2n1; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:53 PM.

Yeah it's a kind of must-have feature (Just because it is not implemented in the ingame editor ^^). We can only hope it's worth the effort and that the fun pimps are never going to deactivate it. Perhaps I can implement a function to smooth the terrain. The maze and static spawn stuff has priority though.
    Last edited by Pille; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:16 PM.

I did not mean that it is worth doing the work with terrin in Your Editor - i think he's not fit to it, because need to see the exact contours of the terrain.... or... were You going to do it !?

Still wanted to ask - as there is this "static spawn".
    It is recorded in a air-block as a parameter? That is, it is tied to a certain block or by itself?

By the way, i've always wondered - why do You make a maze? Hal had it before, too ...
    Last edited by n2n1; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:35 AM.

Just so there's no misunderstanding - I was talking about static spawns in the first two sentences:
    Yeah it's a kind of must-have feature (Just because it is not implemented in the ingame editor ^^). We can only hope it's worth the effort and that the fun pimps are never going to deactivate it.
    Quote Originally Posted by n2n1 View Post
    were You going to do it !?
    Probably not but it might still be useful to have some general smoothing tool even if the results cannot be displayed directly.

As I hinted, the static spawns are unrelated to blocks and therefore not tied to them. There's some additional (float number) data for the positions of the entities. Thus, they can be placed at intermediate block positions and you can have more entities than blocks (well at least theoretically; not sure if they have to touch the ground to be spawned).

Mazes are one of the easiest (or the laziest) ways to make random prefabs which has always been the long-term goal for the editor. That and randomization of existing prefabs. Mazes are just the entry point though. I want more sophisticated stuff in the long run. However, everything depends on the further development of 7 Days. If I don't enjoy future version of the game, I'll change my plans.

With the help of Hal, I'm starting to have some success.^^

Static spawn of 4x4 truck:
    Last edited by Pille; 4 Weeks Ago at 02:22 PM.

Mazes are one of the easiest (or the laziest) ways to make random prefabs which has always been the long-term goal for the editor. That and randomization of existing prefabs. Mazes are just the entry point though. I want more sophisticated stuff in the long run. However, everything depends on the further development of 7 Days. If I don't enjoy future version of the game, I'll change my plans.
    You know what? ... Here, i often feel like a kid in a candy store...

that's what i mean :
    ... and can whether this all as the be use for ....caves...?
    (if TFP will throw this feature)

No update today. Need more time.

@n2n1
    I am going to reply later.

Lol sorry n2n1. I forgot to reply. Sure I could implement a cave generator ... but the editor is at a turning point. Imo it doesn't makes sense to add much more stuff as long as the code and gui are so screwed up. Complete rewrite, trying to fix the messy code or abandon the project. These are the options.