Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A16 (b105) Hang at "creating character" during reload

I haven't had the problem since we upgraded to stable (knock wood!) and we are even still playing our experimental map, so updating wasn't an issue.

What worked for me before: turn on game, uncheck fullscreen, load game, when game loads, re-check fullscreen.

Some people have reported that clicking on the screen while "creating character" is on the screen helps. I've been doing it and I haven't locked up, though that isn't exactly evidence!

It happens as the game lags more IMO. From around day 15 the game was getting more lag.

My farm was getting very big. 20x20 is too big. Try 10x10.
    My underground subway was huge! Linking my fort to Trader a half a kilometer and a city a kilometer away. So much lag I broken my leg walking in a straight 1x2 tunnel. I was upgrading to 1x3 when game died.

UPDATE: Deleting all the other save games did not work, but when I uninstalled and the reinstalled the game it worked.

UPDATE 2: When I logged off far away from base it locked up next time I logged in. ALSO I hit the Escape key and quickly hit EXIT, this also might be the problem as no time was given to close things out properly.

I'll keep experimenting... But in the mean time uninstall and reinstall is the work around if you (one or both)
    -Are too far from bedroll.
    -Exit too quickly after hitting Escape when your game lags.
    Last edited by Aldranon; 07-17-2017 at 05:46 AM.

Refugee
    Step 1: Verify integrity. Step 2: Disable EAC in launcher (even though playing single player). Step 3: Happy gaming

I got mine to load today on the fifth try. After four times stuck at 'creating player', I really didn't expect try #5 to work, but it did.
    It's funny how this 'stable' release is less likely to load than the experimental.

Refugee

This worked for me. Might indicate issue with EAC.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelcor View Post
    Step 1: Verify integrity. Step 2: Disable EAC in launcher (even though playing single player). Step 3: Happy gaming
    I did this and it stopped hanging on Creating Player. I tried verifying first, and that didn't solve the issue. Then I disabled EAC and it loaded.

Scavenger
    I've consistently gotten past this bug by just clicking the left mouse button when the "creating player" dialog pops up, I know it sounds super random, but it has worked for me and a friend to get past that screen.

doesn't hurt to try, I'd be curious if it works for anyone else, or maybe it's just some placebo magic

Quote Originally Posted by Goranimation View Post
    I've consistently gotten past this bug by just clicking the left mouse button when the "creating player" dialog pops up, I know it sounds super random, but it has worked for me and a friend to get past that screen.

doesn't hurt to try, I'd be curious if it works for anyone else, or maybe it's just some placebo magic
    For some reason this also seems to work for me (except I use the right one). It shouldn't but I haven't gotten "stuck" while clicking the mouse button.

Refugee
    Tested this 10 times now. After hanging up on character loading 10 times, the workaround is setting the persistent profile to OFF. Then it loads right up. I logged out and turned it back on, then it would hang up again. Went through this after 10 hangups over the last couple of days.
    Last edited by demontex; 07-22-2017 at 12:55 AM.

Scavenger
    This is not resolved. Maybe a work around but certainly not resolved.

Scavenger
    I tried launching directly instead of through Steam. Still froze on creating player. On work around is to play Nav.

Refugee

Same here

Quote Originally Posted by Eivelon3 View Post
    I tried launching directly instead of through Steam. Still froze on creating player. On work around is to play Nav.
    I also have this problem, in multiplayer or single player, with navezgane or random world on a16 release
    To be noted I tried to switch profile to Clint, or launch using 7dlauncher, everything is giving the same result: my saved game always sticks in creating player. it is most recent build and I usually could make it work by closing re launching, but today, already tried 12 times without any success.
    Last edited by Tsu; 07-22-2017 at 05:34 PM.

Refugee

Same problem for me! Agree this is not a resolved issue and needs to be fixed!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tsu View Post
    I also have this problem, in multiplayer or single player, with navezgane or random world on a16 release
    To be noted I tried to switch profile to Clint, or launch using 7dlauncher, everything is giving the same result: my saved game always sticks in creating player. it is most recent build and I usually could make it work by closing re launching, but today, already tried 12 times without any success.
    I have done all the jumping throw hoops as requested to get the alpha 16 saved games to work it is very hit and miss more miss than hit. I have tried to load a saved game today using all the above 2 pages of "fixes" and cannot get game loaded at all just hangs at "Creating Player" screen in loading. Please at least acknowledge this is an issue and will be looked into, thanks

Tracker

Possibly helpful info (to devs) about the Creating Player hang/crash.

Some things I've noticed that may be helpful in finding the root cause of this problem...

When reloading a saved game, pay attention to the cursor and FPS display if it is active. When the game is succesful in launching past the Creating Player stage, the cursor disappears and the FPS display disappears momentarily and then comes back up. But the cursor is gone until you are loaded into the game and press tab to bring up a cursor, which is now located in the middle of the screen where the crosshairs were.

Every single time the game FAILS to launch and hangs at "Creating Player", however, the cursor always stays there and never disappears. While I have no way to decompile and analyze the launch progression steps, I would pose a theory that somewhere in the code, there is a change being made to the cursor, and this code is executed around the same time that the "Creating Player" message is shown. But maybe it's the hardware/software cursor code that is failing, and NOT anything related to actually creating the player???

Also, when using my desktop shortcut to the C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\7 Days To Die\7dLauncher.exe launch icon, failure rate is dramatically higher than when I use the steam://rungameid/251570 launch shortcut. I haven't played multiplayer yet in A16, only single player. But I seem to recall only using the former in A15 multiplayer because the other crashed or wouldn't launch correctly. My memory is foggy about that.
    Last edited by Mephistopheles; 07-23-2017 at 12:01 AM.

Refugee
    Still this issue persists. Minor bugs are forgivable and expected, Bugs that cause you to be unable to play at all (or without spending half an hour screwing around with settings) are honestly needing attention. I don't usually post on these forums as the majority of bugs are fixed within a few days, or I can deal with the problems, but It's been weeks now - This needs fixed more than minor bugs ... People want to play!!

Refugee
    I've tested this multiple times on different random map generations.

The scenerio: As the game is loading, it gets to "Creating Player ..." and hangs my computer.

When this happens, the quickest way to get out is to "Ctrl-Alt-Delete" and "Sign Out". This will shut down 7D2D and Steam (and any other program you had running).
    Then, just sign back in to Win10, restart Steam and run 7D2D again. Since your game never started, you have not lost any data.

Possible Fix: When you click the 7D2D Play button in the Steam window (or double click the 7D2D icon if that is how you start the game), the first thing that pops up is "The Fun Pimps" logo animation followed by a few “Loading…” statements before you see the Main Menu.

DO NOT click anywhere on the screen during The Fun Pimps logo animation or the “Loading …” texts before the Main Menu pops up. Each time I clicked somewhere, there was a good chance that my game would hang at the "Creating Player ..." section.

I usually select “Continue Game” and am sent to the select game window. After I select my map file and press the “Start”… DO NOT click anywhere else on the screen or it may result in a hang at the “Creating Player …”.

If you do not click on anything except for the “Play 7 Days To Die”, “Continue Game” and “Start”… you should be able to play just fine. Otherwise, use the “Sign Out” and restart Steam if it hangs at “Creating Player…”.

I am not a programmer, so I can not state why this is happening, only that I’ve been able to repeat it more than a dozen times before writing this up. Hopefully the devs (or someone else) can fix this.

TLDR Version... do not be impatient with the load screen. Do not attempt to click past The Fun Pimps load screen.

My system:
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 14393)
    MB ASUS|Z97-PRO(WI-FI AC) Z97 ATX R CPU INTEL|CORE I5 3570K 3.4G 6M R
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz
    Memory: 32768MB RAM
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
    Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (144Hz)
    Monitor Name: ViewSonic XG2701 SERIES(HDMI)
    All drivers are up to date.