Thread: Teach me how to extract, edit then repack the archives (Sound/Gfx).. please.

Teach me how to extract, edit then repack the archives (Sound/Gfx).. please.

Mainly looking to lower the volume of the gun sounds and the chainsaw especally to maybe half of their current volume, since the game lacks a sound fx slider atm, and changing the max volume thing would make everything else too quiet. I tried using UBAE and I couldn't figure out how to actually get the stuff to extract etc so I could edit it. I probally did something wrong so that is why I am asking for this. Please provide urls for the downloads and such as well if you can.

Thanks a ton for any and all help, I really wanna edit some of the sounds that I feel are just way to loud.

I'm also looking how to edit chainsaw sound level, which is insane. Please assist!

Survivor
    Aren't Item sound levels defined in the sounds.xml?
    i.e. a simple edit without packing etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Last-I View Post
    Aren't Item sound levels defined in the sounds.xml?
    i.e. a simple edit without packing etc.
    No they are not... sorry
    sounds.xml is just a placeholder file that queues certain sound events depending on vicinity/action

i may be mistaken but I have tried to change a few thing here and there in the soundsxml and can not really tell if my changes "take"

...like the electrical sound of fridges and store signs... zombie apocalype, everyones dead, whos running the infrastructure ? why do we have electrical items running ?
    untill we fix it that is

Survivor
    Well, I've looked into it myself, and indeed the answer is no.

But, I did manage to change the actual sound of the chainsaw into the nailgun sound in sounds.xml... and it works....blisssss

Code:
    Changed the file paths and file names

<SoundDataNode name="chainsaw_idle">
    	<Noise ID="3" range="14" volume="16" time="3" muffled_when_crouched="0.65" heat_map_strength="0.05" heat_map_time="60"/>
    	<AudioClip ClipName="Sounds/Weapons/Motorized/Nailgun/nailgun_fire1" AudioSourceName="Sounds/AudioSource_Interact"/>
    	<LocalCrouchVolumeScale name="1"/> <CrouchNoiseScale name="1"/> <NoiseScale name="1"/> <MaxVoices name="2"/> <MaxRepeatRate name="0.01"/> </SoundDataNode>

<SoundDataNode name="chainsaw_fire_start"> <AudioSource name="Sounds/AudioSource_Interact"/> <NetworkAudioSource name="Sounds/AudioSource_WeaponFire_Network"/>
    	<Noise ID="4" range="25" volume="20" time="2" heat_map_strength="0.2" heat_map_time="90"/>
    	<Sequence/>
    	<AudioClip ClipName="Sounds/Weapons/Motorized/Nailgun/nailgun_fire1"/>
    	<AudioClip ClipName="Sounds/Weapons/Motorized/Nailgun/nailgun_fire2" Loop="true"/>
    	<AudioClip ClipName="Sounds/Weapons/Motorized/Nailgun/nailgun_fire3"/>
    	<LocalCrouchVolumeScale name="1"/> <CrouchNoiseScale name="1"/> <NoiseScale name="1"/> <MaxVoices name="3"/> <MaxRepeatRate name="0.01"/> </SoundDataNode>
    Not perfect obviously, but at least we can do something

Now lets change the blade trap sound....
    Last edited by Last-I; 08-21-2017 at 04:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Last-I View Post
    Well, I've looked into it myself, and indeed the answer is no.

But, I did manage to change the actual sound of the chainsaw into the nailgun sound in sounds.xml... and it works....blisssss

Code:
    Changed the file paths and file names

<SoundDataNode name="chainsaw_idle">
    	<Noise ID="3" range="14" volume="16" time="3" muffled_when_crouched="0.65" heat_map_strength="0.05" heat_map_time="60"/>
    	<AudioClip ClipName="Sounds/Weapons/Motorized/Nailgun/nailgun_fire1" AudioSourceName="Sounds/AudioSource_Interact"/>
    	<LocalCrouchVolumeScale name="1"/> <CrouchNoiseScale name="1"/> <NoiseScale name="1"/> <MaxVoices name="2"/> <MaxRepeatRate name="0.01"/> </SoundDataNode>

<SoundDataNode name="chainsaw_fire_start"> <AudioSource name="Sounds/AudioSource_Interact"/> <NetworkAudioSource name="Sounds/AudioSource_WeaponFire_Network"/>
    	<Noise ID="4" range="25" volume="20" time="2" heat_map_strength="0.2" heat_map_time="90"/>
    	<Sequence/>
    	<AudioClip ClipName="Sounds/Weapons/Motorized/Nailgun/nailgun_fire1"/>
    	<AudioClip ClipName="Sounds/Weapons/Motorized/Nailgun/nailgun_fire2" Loop="true"/>
    	<AudioClip ClipName="Sounds/Weapons/Motorized/Nailgun/nailgun_fire3"/>
    	<LocalCrouchVolumeScale name="1"/> <CrouchNoiseScale name="1"/> <NoiseScale name="1"/> <MaxVoices name="3"/> <MaxRepeatRate name="0.01"/> </SoundDataNode>
    Not perfect obviously, but at least we can do something

Now lets change the blade trap sound....
    Yep, that works, thanks!

For now, I simply put an invalid path for the chainsaw audio clip. I still have the idle sound playing so it's not dead silent when using it.

Changing the sound files should be possible using sdx to update the .asset file with a new soundclip. You can export the existing .wav files already with the UABE tool. A tutorial on that is planned for the tutorial project, but I cant say when that one will be done.

Refugee
    sdx xyth? I'm a total noob to asset modification so there's a bunch of terms used in the forum which I don't understand. . .

Guppycurian Forum Whore Guppycur's Avatar
    That's old news anyway.

Package the new sounds in unity as a .unity3d file and then use the new sounds for your item.

Quote Originally Posted by Guppycur View Post
    That's old news anyway.

Package the new sounds in unity as a .unity3d file and then use the new sounds for your item.
    How do you do that?