Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Madmole (one of the Pimps) Suggests a possible fix to the "no more loot" problem!

Hunter
    Military would drop loots if there actually was a zombie apocalypse so survivor could actually survive, they would stop after a while though. You they could make crash sites or something instead:x

Survivor
    I think as an enable-able option, it would be a nice drive to get out of your base and explore. The drops land somewhere on the map, randomly, not based on your location. you'd then have to hunt them down, killing zombies on the way and trying to get back to your base before nightfall. It could be a cool way to get non-renewable supplies (before raiders and traders/market are introduced).

It may or may not be a challenge (depending on your day/night cycle), but any reason you have to leave your base (that doesn't take away tons of time from main development) is a good idea to me

Quote Originally Posted by P00713H34D View Post
    OR

They could just enable a console command that resets all of the worlds starting lootables with new loot......
    as simple (coding, time, and effort involved for the devs) as that is, that really breaks the flow. As it is if the radio idea is implemented then getting new loot will be entirely optional, and it will provide a great game event with the raiders.

Scavenger
    the raiders could be pretty cool, you could even target drops on those pesky newbs base to get the raiders to mob them, lol killing two birds with their own stones. but I have to agree I do like the idea of being able to craft everything instead of mysterious air loot. the military doesn't usually have a practice of giving weapons to civilians, and from the way this area looks, I don't think the military is going to be in any kind of position to burn jet fuel every day to come drop you an endless supply of guns and ammo....

Quote Originally Posted by chris_kirsch View Post
    the military doesn't usually have a practice of giving weapons to civilians, and from the way this area looks, I don't think the military is going to be in any kind of position to burn jet fuel every day to come drop you an endless supply of guns and ammo....
    During most of the Cold War the two superpowers did exactly that.. more or less. Arming and training paramilitary forces to gain control over some seemingly insignificant patches of wasteland or jungle.

Anyway, I like the supply-drop idea, no matter how "realistic" it is. It isn't realistic to chop a tree into neat pieces with your bare fists either.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowan108 View Post
    Madmole: One thing we could do pretty easily is add an option for supply drops like you see in hoard mode or deathmatch where supply crates fall from the sky, what do you think?

I honestly think this would be a great addition, but only if you craft and/or take over a radio station to contact the military about your survival.
    I seriously hope that TFP's have a more complete idea of what a survival horde crafting game should be. There are way way better ways of introducing the ability to get new resources into the game than breaking the immersion of "you're on your own" with an AIR DROP of all things. Can I build an runway and "escape" the horde too? Come on! Even suggesting that it's an easy thing to do and asking what we think is a huge huge RED CAUTION flag for me.

TL;DR: Do not want! Bad idea!

I think this has already been suggested, but we could have random military plane crashes with supplies.

They are not meant for the player, they just conveniently come your way.
    Last edited by Clauticus; 11-14-2013 at 01:52 AM.

Scavenger
    I like that way clauticus, and giving weapons in the cold war was for political reasons because we could not send our troops to shoot russians because then it would be a hot nuke war. there isn't really any polotics i'm think at this point just survival and the military is going to ahve hordes of zombies to deal with them selves, doing air strikes ect, now random air strikes on areas would be kinda cool, carpet bombing, napalm(once we get a fire mechanic :eager smile I just don't think they'd be dropping supplies constantly hoping some dude grabes them, how do they know that dude isn't a jerk starting some sort of evil slave militia. Just me I don't think in THIS situation the military would drop weapons, maybe give aid sometimes but... I dunno, I would write any civilians in this zone good as dead and not waste precious supplies on a few people

-1 as I'm sure lots of people have said, people dropping random crates instead of flying down and helping me, would make the game less realistic imo. I'd prefer more craftable items and renewable resources.

Quote Originally Posted by shibby View Post
    -1 as I'm sure lots of people have said, people dropping random crates instead of flying down and helping me, would make the game less realistic imo. I'd prefer more craftable items and renewable resources.
    I agree that crafting should be more of the games aim, but we should not be able to craft just about anything, I am specifically talking about guns, it takes a lot of machinery and skill to make a proper gun, not to mention fixing and so forth. The day we see skill trees like the Gun Nut in the game only Gun Nuts should be able to craft and repair weapons properly, same way the brawler skill tree should let you make more effective melee weapons.

It just does not feel right to give every single character in the game the ability to make any weapon and ammunition at all when there is going to be an RPG aspect in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Stignos View Post
    I agree that crafting should be more of the games aim, but we should not be able to craft just about anything, I am specifically talking about guns, it takes a lot of machinery and skill to make a proper gun, not to mention fixing and so forth. The day we see skill trees like the Gun Nut in the game only Gun Nuts should be able to craft and repair weapons properly, same way the brawler skill tree should let you make more effective melee weapons.

It just does not feel right to give every single character in the game the ability to make any weapon and ammunition at all when there is going to be an RPG aspect in the game.
    Yes I agreed with everything you've said. I'm interested in how leveling and rp is going to be implemented into the game. I know what you mean about being able to craft any gun (from experimenting with some simple recipe edits), even rocket launchers without your character having any experience and using nothing but a few slabs of forging metal and some short pipes. Its a very unrewarding experience. I also don't necessarily object to high grade weapons (or any other none craftable/none renewable resource) like assault rifles and rocket launchers etc. being introduced into the world through either some lvl perk with realistic material requirements or even artificially through other means that would allow you to stay immersed in the game and it's story. Something e.g. like other survivors getting in a car crash or being overrun or even a military helicopter crash. Something simple and effective that seems believable. Were as magic crates falling from the sky feel to much like an arcade game to me, no matter how anybody spins it.
    Last edited by shibby; 11-14-2013 at 07:18 AM.

Scavenger
    Random aircraft crashes and overrun military bases and vehicle crashes would be more in tune with survivor. Also, caches of supplies buried underground by survivalists that got caught in initial virus stage would be fine. I don't know if I want air drops. And keeping guns in repair would be better than making new ones, in my opinion. I know that guns need cleaning and oiling, but wouldn't know the first thing on how to make one, and unless I have my google handy, wouldn't know how to make ammo on my own. hmmm I best go look that up........

Ranger
    I totally disagree with this idea (at least in SP or PvE maps) because it remove the necessity to craft items and food. I believe it should better to concentrate the efforts in developing/fixing the actual crafting system (en passant, when the items could be rotated?).
    I'd rather wish to see some electric/mechanical stuff that give the ability to build custom and not pre-built mechanisms based on player fantasy (not to talk about scripting features, have you ever seen Second life?)
    Last edited by Meatjuice; 11-14-2013 at 10:14 AM.

Survivor
    Quote Originally Posted by Meatjuice View Post
    I totally disagree with this idea (at least in SP or PvE maps) because it remove the necessity to craft items and food. I believe it should better to concentrate the efforts in developing/fixing the actual crafting system (en passant, when the items could be rotated?).
    I'd rather wish to see some electric/mechanical stuff that give the ability to build custom and not pre-built mechanisms based on player fantasy (not to talk about scripting features, have you ever seen Second life?)
    I completely dissagree with this point. Scavenging should be the focus not crafting. Forcing people out of their hobbit holes to compete for occasional supply drops sounds much more fun. And either way, madmole said it would be an option, so you can turn it off if you want to play a hobbit sim.

Survivor
    Quote Originally Posted by eeshibby View Post

I don't know your skilllset, but I'm in the army. And the odds of us sending you a supply drop in a disaster are much higher than you crafting a gun. Look any natural disaster and how the military is able to drop supplies off for people. Nobody is "crafting" clean water. (There is one in the news now)

I find many people have an odd sense of what "realistic" is lol.
    Last edited by rahzzalinto; 11-14-2013 at 02:59 PM.