Thread: [Known Issue] Regular Crashing

[Known Issue] Regular Crashing

[Status: In progress]

While this can occur on both PS4 and XB1, it does occur more frequently on XB1

This crash usually occurs around the 2 hours mark however this time frame can be shortened by....

- Number of players in the game
    - Age of the save
    - Amount of area uncovered in the game
    - Amount of modifications withing the save

When this occurs in the game, often the UI flickers just before the crash. Exiting the game can help avoid an MD5 error, however this is not 100% assured.

Refugee
    Hi Clare,

I just wanted to throw my 2-cents worth (even if only worth half as much) as it pertains to XB1 players:

Though still random, I tend to get more time between crashes if I reset (a.k.a. hard-boot) the Xbox either before I start playing (if I think of it) or after the first crash. By reset/hard-boot, I mean hold down the power button until the Xbox shuts down. This also helps with performance issues in other games.

And my experience with UI flickering, especially in menus (inventory/crafting, forge, chem. station, workstation, etc.), an MD5 error is almost certain. Since starting a new seed after Patch 10 released, I adopted the process of deleting the locally saved data at EVERY crash or hint of one coming (i.e. flickering or not being able to open a storage box or loot an item/zombie), and thus far I've yet to have an MD5 error reset anything, at least that I'm aware of. Losing a few to up to approx. 15 minutes of progress is worth not losing the progress of an entire chunk of terrain and/or all placeables or stored items within it.

I know it's posted elsewhere (including by me in another thread), but these are the steps I take:

1. IMMEDIATELY disconnect the Xbox from the internet
    -Whether it's a crash back to the game menu, a crash back to the Xbox home screen, or just a suspected issue, do NOTHING else before disconnecting (i.e. do not "quit" via the game menu or terminate the game via Xbox menu) because you don't know (or I don't, at least) what may prompt an upload to Xbox Live.
    -I prefer the reliability of a wired connection, so I just unplug one end; if wireless, you MAY be able to disconnect via the Xbox's Network menu, but I don't know if this will prompt an upload to Xbox Live as it's disconnecting. So I would error on the side of caution just killing the power to your router.

2. Delete the local "Saved Data"
    -For anything other than a crash back to the home screen, you'll need to quit the game (Menu button->Quit) first.
    -Menu button->Manage Game->Saved Data, then select your profile name and "Delete from Console".

3. Reset (a.k.a. hard-boot) the Xbox
    -Hold down the power button until the Xbox shuts down

4. Reconnect to the internet and power up the Xbox

5. Launch the game. After the initial loading, when you hit "Start" you'll get the "Syncing" message as it's downloading the most recent save from Xbox Live.

Refugee

This happens in co-op play too

The hard reboot before a game or after a crash usually fixes it, it doesn't happen too much to us tho, it's usually random, it's happened during a horde night but bodies were still there and loot was still good plus zombie still spawn

My game has crashed twice now and both times when I placed the sleeping bag from my backpack into the belt slot that is currently selected.

Refugee
    Quote Originally Posted by Clare View Post
    [Status: In progress]

While this can occur on both PS4 and XB1, it does occur more frequently on XB1

This crash usually occurs around the 2 hours mark however this time frame can be shortened by....

- Number of players in the game
    - Age of the save
    - Amount of area uncovered in the game
    - Amount of modifications withing the save

When this occurs in the game, often the UI flickers just before the crash. Exiting the game can help avoid an MD5 error, however this is not 100% assured.
    Any time frame for fix ,

- - - Updated - - -

Any time frame for fix , this problem has existed for about a yr

Refugee

Dedicated server

Any hope of dedicated servers on xbox

Refugee
    So, Ive noticed with our most recent game plays, last night from 7pm to 9pm and again Monday from about 330pm to 9pm, our group of four interchangeable players (two swap out due to availability), we are crashing about every 30 minutes or so with a CE-34378-01 PS4 blue screen. I believe thats the code. Usually what happens is one of our team (or more) crashes about 5 minutes before I do (I host). last night specifically we experienced no less thanthree host three host crashes. We do quit the game at the end of each session, and I put my system into rest mode. Does this make a difference? We experienced one complete base wipe MD5 before this play, and on this play we are close to day 84. I think the last MD5/base wipe happened at around day 70. I will do a backup this evening before we start, but Im hoping that we can get past this and continue on as we are further along than our 1st ever play that went up to almost 200 days (abandoned due to update to 1.15). We are using 1.16, and I have noticed a ton more crashes with this version. Will turning off my system help alleviate this frequency?

Reconstructionist
    Quote Originally Posted by vegasdrm2020 View Post
    So, Ive noticed with our most recent game plays, last night from 7pm to 9pm and again Monday from about 330pm to 9pm, our group of four interchangeable players (two swap out due to availability), we are crashing about every 30 minutes or so with a CE-34378-01 PS4 blue screen. I believe thats the code. Usually what happens is one of our team (or more) crashes about 5 minutes before I do (I host). last night specifically we experienced no less thanthree host three host crashes. We do quit the game at the end of each session, and I put my system into rest mode. Does this make a difference? We experienced one complete base wipe MD5 before this play, and on this play we are close to day 84. I think the last MD5/base wipe happened at around day 70. I will do a backup this evening before we start, but Im hoping that we can get past this and continue on as we are further along than our 1st ever play that went up to almost 200 days (abandoned due to update to 1.15). We are using 1.16, and I have noticed a ton more crashes with this version. Will turning off my system help alleviate this frequency?
    i shut down my PS4 and unplug between game session if not i start another app. then close it to refresh the cache memory at the very least, though lately there has been issues with PSN so i would look up the Error code at PSN.com and find out if its a program error or a PSN error the PSN.com has a code input you can use to find out what the error code is for ? once you find out if the error cod is in reference to a NET work error or a machine error then we can see whats up , so yeah i would recommend not putting the PS4 in rest mode unless you have a reason (large download or update ) other wise just shut that bad boy down and give it a little rest. yes they stress tested these PS4's like crazy and yes they can run for a week with broken cooling fan , and can stay terminally in rest mode with out major errors its best not too

Refugee
    so, best i can remember the crash code... CE-34378-01. Until i see it again. had it twice 2night.

- - - Updated - - -

copy. i will start doing that more regularly when i dont have to charge controllers. thanks JD.

Reconstructionist
    Quote Originally Posted by vegasdrm2020 View Post
    so, best i can remember the crash code... CE-34378-01. Until i see it again. had it twice 2night.

- - - Updated - - -

copy. i will start doing that more regularly when i dont have to charge controllers. thanks JD.
    i just got error whilst playing online as well my error code was CE-34878-0 , i tried looking up the one you posted to no avail so if you can confirm that is in fact the number it would be helpful , but s far as i can tell your error is originating from PSN so its here's what i found out about my error code https://support.us.playstation.com/s...Str=CE-34878-0 check it let me know if it help you any

I hope a hotfix is inbound, its like crash galore on my friends ps4 game world, usually crashes from 30 min to 1 hour and 30 min, I cannot build anything of large size without the game constantly crashing after a short time, note this only happens when I am connected to his world, if he plays n his own its fine. this is so frustrating...

Reconstructionist
    Quote Originally Posted by XxUnkn0wnxX View Post
    I hope a hotfix is inbound, its like crash galore on my friends ps4 game world, usually crashes from 30 min to 1 hour and 30 min, I cannot build anything of large size without the game constantly crashing after a short time, note this only happens when I am connected to his world, if he plays n his own its fine. this is so frustrating...
    he could have built something that is taxes the system resources , perhaps a building with a lot of torches or maybe a boat load of the new lights , and window the wood frame window can also tax the system resources and you add a few player to the MP game and his system is getting hammered , if you do have bases with a load of torches or lights or windows try reducing their number and see if this helps prevent the crashing , other wise encourage him to file a bug report giving as much detail as possible

well we both started a new world and no issues yet, although it did crash when he called it CandyLand, when it was generating the world it insta blue screened.. but other that that name it no issues yet.