Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can I get the old 2D Map Previewer back?

Scavenger

Can I get the old 2D Map Previewer back?

Guys A16 is great. But the Editing Tool Previewer stinks. The controls are not easy to use. It's difficult to near impossible to move to a specific section of the map you want to look at without screwing up the pan/tilt/rotation of the map. Just give me the old 2D preview with simple left/right/up/down/zoom controls and rmb to see the map coordinates. Please.

Already been asked. For different reasons, but we want the same!

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showth...238#post651238

Colony Founder
    The new previewer is totally awesome! Much much much better than the old one!
    You just need to learn how to use it...

First of all, use the w,s,a,d keys as your primary "movement" around the map.
    At the same time, hold down the right mouse button, and you can free view.
    This movement is then the same as in the game, and any and all first person shooters, so it should feel natural.

Now this is the important part:
    Use the mousewheel to set the speed of movement... It can be a bit fiddly, so when you find a speed you like, stay with it.

In the future, maybe ask for help, before dismissing a new feature off hand...
    The new previewer is truly a great piece of coding, which is not receiving enough props...

Refugee
    You can also use left ctrl and space to move on the z (vertical) axis.

Too bad they keep all these keyboard controls secret. Without that knowledge, it's a really terrible interface. Really REALLY terrible.

Reconstructionist
    If they would fix the memory usage and performance, I would be happy with the new previewer. But it is horribly slow, and to render a preview out to a scale of 5 usually maxes out memory and crashes.

They need to either fix it or give us back the old one.

Scavenger
    Quote Originally Posted by Menace312 View Post
    The new previewer is totally awesome! Much much much better than the old one!
    You just need to learn how to use it...

First of all, use the w,s,a,d keys as your primary "movement" around the map.
    At the same time, hold down the right mouse button, and you can free view.
    This movement is then the same as in the game, and any and all first person shooters, so it should feel natural.

Now this is the important part:
    Use the mousewheel to set the speed of movement... It can be a bit fiddly, so when you find a speed you like, stay with it.

In the future, maybe ask for help, before dismissing a new feature off hand...
    The new previewer is truly a great piece of coding, which is not receiving enough props...
    The WASD keys don't work as described. A and D do move left and right but W and S zoom in and out. There's no up and down.

1. I've been playing 7D2D since 2015.
    2. The old previewer was and IS easier to use.
    3. In the future try not to be such a condescending, passive-aggressive toad before dismissing a post without knowing a thing about whether the poster has tried to get help before.
    If you check the forums, I'm not the onlyl one of this mind.
    Last edited by ultramagnetic; 07-22-2017 at 07:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Menace312 View Post
    It's not receiving props because they put it out there with NO instructions. It's no masterpiece of coding if the average user has no idea how to actually use it, it's just wasted code in that case.

I like the look of the new previewer but it badly needs on-screen instructions to explain how it works. That said, I found the old one did what I wanted it to do much faster and easier (and the lack of a legend for both is horrible). I'd strongly recommend they put both in next time call one the "Quick Viewer" and the other the "3D Viewer" WITH instructions and a legend.

Yes, it's Alpha, but Stable should still mean basic instructions.

Adding at least a grid of basic coords would help a lot. They don't need to be exact but blocks of even 1,000 would help!

Quote Originally Posted by Qyzer View Post
    I'd strongly recommend they put both in next time

This.

The interface needs a LOT of love for that thing. Just being able to use the mouse wheel for zooming would be great and using the cursor keys to pan the map would also be great. It is way too awkward right now.

The controls for the current one are just terrible, they are counter-intuitive.

The old one controlled much better and didn't cause any confusion.

Tracker
    for me the new map is slow way slow in moving around. I agree there should be instructions on how to use and move on it. and I also agree that I would love the simpler old map as the quick view. As I dont like waiting 10 minutes just to see a small section because it lags and I cant get it to move or even zoom out.

Tracker
    Through trial and error, I figured out most of the controls for the map viewer. I still would rather a fixed top down camera with wasd to move around the map and scroll wheel to zoom.

Also, the map desperately needs grid lines so that you can get an idea of coordinates. Even better would be fields to center the camera looking down at specified coordinates.

Colony Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by ultramagnetic View Post
    The WASD keys don't work as described. A and D do move left and right but W and S zoom in and out. There's no up and down.

1. I've been playing 7D2D since 2015.
    2. The old previewer was and IS easier to use.
    3. In the future try not to be such a condescending, passive-aggressive toad before dismissing a post without knowing a thing about whether the poster has tried to get help before.
    If you check the forums, I'm not the onlyl one of this mind.
    So the typical: "the old was better" approach... Oh well.

I'll just say this. You don't need up and down, you have free view... I simply can't explain it any simpler... It's as simple as it gets...

Ok, maybe an explanation of the functionality on map, is needed, for those who don't find it intuitive. But really, it took me maybe 20min to figure it out.
    Rule 1: don't use left mouse button, it's movement is weird.

Something like:
    1. Press and hold right mouse button (keep it pressed the whole time your previewing).
    2. Use mouse to point in the direction you want to "fly" (360 degrees... Up, down, left, right and everything in between).
    3. Use W to go forward, and S to go backwards.
    4. Use A and D to strafe left and right.
    5. Use mouse wheel to determine speed of movement keys W,S,A,D.

So free view... Normal stuff...
    Last edited by Menace312; 07-23-2017 at 02:19 AM.