Thread: PVP and Raiding Tips (Joining a Host)

Refugee

PVP and Raiding Tips (Joining a Host)

Hey first post but I have been playing this game since it launched on PS4.

This thread is aimed at providing some tips I have learnt and allowing others to also provide.
    Tips specifically on locating the host/host's base and killing them/raiding their base.
    This may be slightly controversial but it's a factor that can add another level of enjoyment to the game.
    I have a 'moral code' if you can call it that. I don't blow up people's bases. The only destruction I employ is used to enter a base or the contents within their storage boxes or of course the destruction of a fellow player's body. I also often give the player important stuff back but this depends on a few things. I won't be listing any ways to obtain or use explosives.
    Some of these tips will be straight-forward but some may not be.
    I will bullet point the tips as I cant be bothered to put this into cohesive paragraphs.

- Play with headphones on and change your audio settings so that the ambient sound is at 0. This only removes non-essential noise like wind etc. Sound is very important to find a base. You can hear people who are within half a km or even more and they may not hear you.
    -Check the player log, how many zombie kills, player kills, player level, deaths etc. This is useful info to gauge how competent your prey is. A lot of player kills is obviously most important to know without any explanation needed.
    - When you enter the world look on the compass for unlocked minibikes. This means the host has not locked the bike and you can track it's whereabouts even if the host is riding it.
    - If it is Navezgane then most people tend to build somewhere near the cornfield, Diersville, mansions, lake. Basically the green area so this is a good place to start. Not everyone does obviously.
    -On random gen, set your destination for the central city which is obviously in the middle of the map. Most hosts will be relatively close to here for easy looting. If the server is quite old (60+) then its very possible they could be anywhere. Past experience has shown they are mostly somewhere close to the hub city though.
    -Keep an eye out for airdrops, they spawn based on their proximity to the host so it's a good indicator the host/base is close especially so if there are lots of unclaimed drops. Try to get the airdrops if possible but be aware the host may be on their way there or will know where you are if you claim it. It's worth collecting often though for medipacks and hopefully a gun.
    -Mark everything. Airdrops, looted locations, zombie remains etc. This will be handy as you can use them to zone in on the host.
    -Getting supplies. Make sure you have some plant fibre clothes at least just in case. You don't want to freeze and make cold noises as you are sneaking up on the base. Make about 30 wood frames which are handy to escape zombies as you will be on the move almost every night. They are obviously also useful for scaling some bases.
    Check toilets for pistols. Try to grab food and medical items where you can. A decent bow, club and stone axe are also essential.
    -Make a bedroll and keep it in your hotbar so you can drop it before you die. Very useful at night or against the dogs which you will run into if you raid often. You will eventually place this somewhere inconspicuous near the base you are going to raid along with some of your wood, stone fibres, medi supplies, weapons etc so you have a second try if necessary.
    -Crouch when you are on approach to a player or base so you make minimal noise and be careful you don't walk and subsequently fall off any twiggy plants as this makes a loud oof noise when you hit the ground.
    -Make sure you are well fed/watered so you don't make any hungry/thirsty noises when near players.
    -Do not use a miners helmet, torch or flashlight whatsoever. There is almost no reason to have to use one and attract attention to yourself. If you need to change your gamma settings.
    -Scout the base and do this quickly but safely. Don't rush as you use cover to find a nice entry point as you may make a noise. Always crouch but try not to linger too long as the longer you are skulking you may be spotted.
    -Raiding the base will be easier when the host is not there, try to do this if possible. If not then you have to be extra careful and try to find the quietest way into the base and in the rooms within. Always employ stealth when trying to dispatch the host as in most cases they will be better armoured, better equipped and have more wellness/hp.
    -Each base is different, some are built up from prefabs, some are almost impenetrable fortresses. Most but not all are 'raidable'.
    Bases with full land claim blocks and wide moats made of concrete will require the most planning/time and may not be worth it.
    Some are possibly impossible to raid but that is up to you to decide. I don't just decide to raid the easy bases and will give any base a try.
    - Entry- You could dig to get to less guarded area. Frame to get over walls (nerd pole). Break through a wall or door. You could make some noise and bait the person to open their door. You could light a campfire or place some torches in an area to also bait them out. I've been experimenting with planting trees which grow and destroy some structures. This may also work but it takes some time to grow (less than a day usually) and I cannot give definitive proof. Be creative to find a way in.
    - Don't ally the host to find their location and then un-ally. There's a few reasons why you shouldn't do it. Firstly it takes away half of the work and therefore half the fun and it will also put the host on edge.
    -You can ally or accept allies with players that are not clearly working with the host, ie low level newbies but unless you also party up with them so you can attack a base together then your goal should only be to kill them. If you don't party up, you cannot guarantee they won't be too much of a liability. You could kill them and take their stuff but this will only be useful if they have had time to gather supplies and if you have a quick way to dispatch them.
    -Nighttime- Stay on the move but try to avoid zombies. If encountered then run or flee if possible and only kill them if it's the only option. It takes up resources and time killing zombies and resources are usually scarce due to the fact that on console p2p servers means you have to act quickly as hosts can quite servers at any time and this means you will obviously be kicked also. Use rocks/buildings as islands to navigate the landscape whilst conserving stamina. Houses often have z gardeners however so be aware.
    -Horde night- rocks can last a night but I usually find a house and climb the roof and have even on occasion spent the night in a hosts base. Make sure you are aware of when horde night is, you don't want a nasty surprise.

I'm sure there are quite a lot of things I can't think of right now but these are some of the key tips that will help you out.
    Please reply if you have some ideas I have not listed or thought of. Thanks.
    Happy hunting.

Hunter
    Nice guide

Refugee

Thanks

Thanks a lot.

I'm gonna try and put down a few more tips if possible.
    A lot of strategy boils down to common sense or minutiae as every base is specifically different and requires different tact so it's difficult to write it down in a couple of sentences.

My PSN is Mockolad for anyone who wants to team up. I suppose it's out there so base owners can be hyper-vigilant if I join their server but I'm up for any extra challenge.

The zombies are just walking loot boxes, people are the real challenge... oh and dogs...wasteland spawning OMG

Ok some Comments from a PC player playing mostly PVE but with bad experience about raiders and Rading hackers.
    But i like Fair PVP (Allow Roleplay based PvP on my own PVE server)
    - Play with headphones on and change your audio settings so that the ambient sound is at 0. This only removes non-essential noise like wind etc. Sound is very important to find a base. You can hear people who are within half a km or even more and they may not hear you.
    For this reason dont put to many Doors inside your Hidden base
    -Check the player log, how many zombie kills, player kills, player level, deaths etc. This is useful info to gauge how competent your prey is. A lot of player kills is obviously most important to know without any explanation needed.
    Death is Death FTW ^^
    -Scout the base and do this quickly but safely. Don't rush as you use cover to find a nice entry point as you may make a noise. Always crouch but try not to linger too long as the longer you are skulking you may be spotted.
    Build Fake Baseparts against this

-...will require the most planning/time and may not be worth it.
    Nothing to steal if someone build a Megabase^^ Mostly they have very small stocks at this time

You could make some noise and bait the person to open their door.
    Build alternative passages a Attacker is not aware of. Make sounds inside the bunker, then sneak to a entrance 100 Meter away and attack him from behind.
    And
    Make a Double Door system, even if you get killed the 2nd door is still there
    Don't ally the host to find their location and then un-ally.
    NEVER ALLY NEW PLAYER, NEVER, NEVER
    NEVER

All less than 3xSTeel is no real defense
    All good Defense starts at Bedrock
    Have Safes near your bed, if you get killed during a raid you want your Equipment Ready to use.
    NEVER have high level Pickaxes or Huge amounts of ammo there. A enemy that you can not kill with 4 Explosive Bolts and 60 Rounds Ammo you wont kill with more ammo, all you will do is supply him.

Best Kind of block against raiders is AIR, Only Steelblocks and Air, there is nothing they can step on. So never use Ladders too
    Here a example of a Perfect Bunker

Only way to attack is from above, but to solve this you need to build this

what becomes later this
    Last edited by Royal Deluxe; 08-02-2017 at 02:31 PM.

Refugee

Console Peasant

Haha very nice base. I love the pictures.
    There are certain mechanics used in concert which will make a base basically impregnable. This is a great example of that. Moat, LCBs galore and drawbridge. Base perched on layers of concrete.
    This is especially true on console where staging a raid has to be done with minimal preparation due to no dedicated servers. This is a bit of a shame but on console I have seen very few of these behemoths. On the flip side you guys also have hackers/cheaters to contend with unfortunately.
    Hopefully dedi servers are in the future for console, god help the devs they've seen many a thread on this lol.

Reconstructionist
    so for host defenses against attacker on console host has an advantage the host pay can see the area other players are in because the game will render that zone on the host console as well so if im outside hub city but i can see in the distance a corner of hub city i know there's a player there so host can get to a vantage point and find out where the new players joined and can stalk and kill them before they even know where they are you'll need distant terrain on and a few good hills or tall vantage points

Survivor
    If the base or host is to much for you, use screamers to your advantage. Place a bunch of campfires around the base and start them all with about 15-20 minutes of burn time. The host will then have to fight off a horde of zombies and also have you to worry about. Be sure to leave all important items behind just in case you end up dying yourself. I did this to one person who was on day 80 an I'd just started, played for a 3 in game days and I think I pissed the host off so bad they raged quit lol

Explosive bolts do little to no damage at all to players in end game pvp. (max skills and BIS equipment)

Stealth

The player who is seen first, is usually the one who dies first unless there is a gear and avatar skill gap that is made irrelevant against the players personal skill factors.

I like to setup whats known as integrated fox holes, its a series of tunnels around the players base that are dug out and used to snipe at the player through a series of constant re-location underground, which can be complete with a small base (Ready Room, which contains chests for loot storage, bed,small supplies, workbench, ect, necessary items for raiding or besieging a base. (The term we use to define attacking a player in or around their base till they give up/log out, Though this is risky because they may also destroy their loot, but its fun as hell to pin a player down for hours )

I used to also pick the range in which the sniper could no longer reach and dip in and out of that range (but still give myself the manipulated maneuverability to reach many potential return fire spots) if I was discovered and fired back upon to significantly give myself an advantage to escape or relocate without endangering myself. (Best way I tested this was to fire at the base and listen for the LCB ring, then fire while moving backwards a series of steps till I no longer heard it, thus gauging the max range possible,

When designing fox holes you can fill enough of the ground up and damage it just (by punching or making a stone axe or using any number of blunt objects not designed to damage the blocks you are using to partially conceal yourself) enough that it allows only enough room to view out of, which makes it even more difficult to find, so long as you avoid to fire at the players if they are actively looking at your directly or in your direction (especially with a sniper ) which the gun fire light will give away your position.

When I was up against players who I determined may match or surpass my own personal skill this is how I pulled off a victory.

This method is for players who are extremely patient and can follow through and stick with a long term goal, these types of besieges are very tedious but over the course of several irl days consecutively the victim will experience acute distress and paranoia.

Do not taunt them in chat, do not talk to them in chat, do not give them any type of communication, the silence of an unknown threat farther increases their stress.

As of 16.4 End game snipers are very very under performing, so this method will not work on BIS/full skill players, killing them will be literally impossible even with sniper head shots with full skills and 600 quality, unless you nail about 3-4 head shots consecutively quickly.

Shotguns with slugs and magnums deal massive damage now.

You may also setup a chain reaction of mines and TNT (Mines being the trigger to set off the TNT most players will spot the mines and shoot them, they MUST not have anything in between the tnt and the mine and make sure the TNT is HIDDEN around a corner on the ground or something; I recommend going into SP/creative and playing with traps like this to perfect and/or refine )inside a tunnel which if shot by the player or triggered by the player will set off a chain reaction that would kill the player.

While raiding a base look for areas that seem out of place, or are more reinforced than others, 9/10 times that area is where the loot is, having this knowledge can help optimize your raiding speed.

and always always always try to go "Around" defenses, rather than straight through them if possible, using a buddy you can "Body hop" and reach some higher places to get inside a players base that would be otherwise inaccessible without breaking in.
    Last edited by OnlyMeiya; 11-25-2017 at 01:59 AM.

Community Moderator SylenThunder's Avatar
    Necro, and you're putting PC-specific tactics and information in a console thread.

Going to shoot this zombie in the head with my sniper...