Thread: Not really fullscreen?

Question Not really fullscreen?

I may have found an odd bug where you cannot go fullscreen. I have stripes at the sides of the screen and my inventory and other menus clip off the sides. My monitor is a 21" CRT at [email protected] If I run in that resolution I am fine. If I run in anything else, odd things happen.

Example

As you can see, I have lines on the side. I tried running in 1600x1200 and 1280x1024 to see if this is reproducible and it is. My monitor natively supports both of those resolutions and in A15 they worked fine, but now they do not. When this odd clipping occurs parts of the in-game menus get clipped on the sides. It's like the menus run in the correct resolution but nothing else does. Very odd. Is there a way to fix this or have I just found an A16 bug?

Reconstructionist 4sheetzngeegles's Avatar
    You probably already tried this but, In menu uncheck fullscreen and run at 2048 x1536 should see mini boarder but all play area. if not use 2048 X 1152, full screen on monitor and on game, third resolution 1920 X 1080. I may be wrong but its like the 16:9 resolution and your widescreen setting are not synching. Here is a page for true resolutions to help. https://pacoup.com/2011/06/12/list-o...9-resolutions/

Uhm, I'm not doing 16:9. 1280x1024 is 5:4. I believe 1024x768 is 4:3. 2048x1536 is also 5:4 unless I am mistaken. Again, this is a CRT, NOT an LCD/LED setup. It natively supports resolutions including 1600x1200, 1280x1024, 2048x1536, and more. CRT monitors have many native resolutions, not just one. I am running on an IBM P275, not exactly a cheap monitor.

Also, the menus stretch to the correct width, but the screen itself does not. In fact if you look, the issue is clearly Unity in some way. You can see in the upper-right where a Steam notification was it left behind an image of the box in the area not being rendered. The screen is actually in 1280x1024, the menus are in 1280x1024, but it is only rendering 90% of the width. Again, it did not do this in A15.

Game runs in borderless window, not exclusive fullscreen.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Eagle LXIX
    To get true exclusive fullscreen you can choose Show Game Launcher and select the "Exclusive Fullscreen Mode" check box -- EASIER;
    OR
    use a start/launch/command line option:
    Steam Client > Games Library > Right-Click 7 Days To Die > Click Properties > Click Set Launch Options >
    Add the following:
    -window-mode exclusive

Somewhere stacked away in the back of my shed is an old 17 inch hi-res flatscreen CRT I picked up for a song in their end times.
    Best monitor I have ever used, and I would still use it now if it wasn't so small.
    Didn't stop using it until 23 inch 1080p led's became cheap.
    I don't keep old monitors, the only reason it is stored rather that recycled is out of sheer respect for what it is capable of.

Community Moderator SylenThunder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DEADication View Post
    Somewhere stacked away in the back of my shed is an old 17 inch hi-res flatscreen CRT I picked up for a song in their end times.
    Best monitor I have ever used, and I would still use it now if it wasn't so small.
    Didn't stop using it until 23 inch 1080p led's became cheap.
    I don't keep old monitors, the only reason it is stored rather that recycled is out of sheer respect for what it is capable of.
    I still have one of these. It's a 19", and I still use it for my servers. About to replace it with a 19" square LCD though.

I can never understand though why people complain about a game title not catering to their unusual non-standard or out-dated resolutions. This isn't a snip at the OP, just a statement in general. You're not the only one, and this is far from the first time I have seen this.

Today's standards are 1080p or 4k. Yesterdays standards were 1280x1024 or 1024x768. (we're excluding laptops here because they don't seem to have any "standards") Oddly though, most games don't cater outside of 4:3 or 16:9/10 resolution. (with the exception of 1280x1024 5:3)

Also, found this neat wiki
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Displa...ay_resolutions

Up North in the snow biome livin' the dream
    Suspect a fix for this will come when things are being fine tuned for release. There is a report on JIRA about it.

My entire lab (I have a gaming lab at home complete with matched hardware) uses CRT. I just built a Skylake-based rig with GTX 1070's in it and it is the first system I cannot use a CRT with. nVidia removed the 400MHz DAC chip from the 1000 and newer series, meaning no analogue. DisplayPort from here on in, but I did get to buy a nice 24" LED monitor with GSync. Sadly, it will not give the contrast that these beasts will. Thin, lightweight, and crappy won the war.

Oh, and these IBM P275's are above 1k (1080p) resolution. 1080p is [email protected] These run in [email protected], and they were out years before LCD was worth a cuss, much less running in 1080p.

*EDIT*

I forgot to add this, but had to wait for my post to be approved to edit it. Sylen, I have been around since the 80's. Every resolution I mentioned is standard. 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x1024, 1600x1200, and 2048x1536 are standard resolutions. They are not uncommon, they just are not widescreen. I still remember programming Atari 400/800 using 320x200 or 320x240. Same for DOS (Doom anybody?).

I normally run in 2048x1536, which is much higher than 1080p. 1080p is 2.07 megapixels. 2048x1536 is 3.14 megapixels. That means I actually get a little more than a third more resolution over widescreen 1080p. I also play at 75Hz, whereas 1080p is 60Hz. Higher framerates and more on my screen at once.

I test other resolutions my monitor natively supports since this is early access/alpha and see if anything changes other than the aspect ratio. I found that certain resolutions DO have issues, hence my creation of this thread. There are plenty of people still using non-widescreen monitors out there for whatever reason. I personally prefer the much better color quality of CRT. Better contrast, etc. Second best right now is a modern plasma, but let's see you find one of those small enough to mount on a computer desk!
    Last edited by The_Great_Sephiroth; 08-11-2017 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Added information