Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MD5. A trick to avoid.

Scavenger
    Quote Originally Posted by Muggs View Post
    When you do this doesn't it erase all local game files? I have 4 games saved,do I get them all back?
    I really need this fixed,my wife quit playing last week,we had a checkerboard rewrite it got everything in many km of map.
    I have been getting one everytime I play. WTF happened with last update they broke the game again.
    My patience has gone with this and if you knew me you would understand how much this is saying.
    I love 7D2D and will try this next time I play if it works maybe I can get the misses to play again,if it don't........I don't know.
    Yes when you go to delete your files it will delete all of your saved maps/worlds but you will get them all back. I have three different game files that get deleted everytime I do this preventive work around but it's all good. You get them back. Dude I was on my last edge with this game until I found this, on day 61 still in a prefab fully loaded, all my loot with attachments all over the building, garden and a mine just to test this everytime it crashes on me. I'm shocked I'm at Day 61 with no Md5. I'm about to build a real base finally as I don't think I have to worrie anymore as long as I do the work around. Try this man just follow the directions 🤙
    Last edited by Funk707; 08-10-2017 at 12:03 PM.

Scavenger
    Quote Originally Posted by CHAOZZZ View Post
    Thanks Funk for the detailed reply!
    No problem man I hope more people can use it to help them play this awesome game.

- Can confirm I "think" this does work. So far I've had a few crashes that are clearly MD5 capable crashes and nothing yet. I first built a base inside of a graveyard (Single Player Split Screen/Warrior)with LOTS of additional buildings AND mining. I did suffer a minor MD5 in it at day 5 BEFORE I started this new work around. I'm now at day 21 and after any and every crash I delete the save file and so far no issues. Currently on day 21.

- I then created a Multiplayer game (INSANE) in which I again built an early base inside a prefab (1 story house with attached garage). Around day 15 I then tore out a HUGE side of a clay hill (mined almost 10k clay big) to build an underground base that only the front end of a toothy would be seen. Again multiple forges, campfires, cement mixer. I'm now on day 65, no MD5.

- I then created another Multi Player game (Warrior) in which I've turned a forge house into a my fortress. I built a toothy on the side of the house where the porch overhangs. Tore a section of the 2nd story off to make a greenhouse, multiple forges, cement mixer AND I've even started mining under the house. I've had multiple types of crashes and yet no MD5 when I delete the save file after each crash. Currently on day 13.

- I'd say I've done this file delete action at least 25 times with no MD5. It's not a fix by any means, you do lose anywhere from 1-4 hours of in game hours and you have a small 2-3 minutes wait for the cloud save to sync back into your Xbox but in the end it's well worth it.

EDIT: I think it's time for this workaround ( a "how to" post) to become a STICKY in THIS forum.
    Last edited by Armyballer; 08-10-2017 at 05:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Armyballer View Post
    -I think it's time for this workaround ( a "how to" post) to become a STICKY in THIS forum.
    I can agree to this. Myself as well as a lot of others have been confirming this workaround as fruitful. The precursor to the MD5 is clearly the HUD "flicker," and so long as you follow all steps of the workaround, your bases remain intact. This should be a top-of-the-list sticky.

Tracker
    Tried this last night, but did it wrong, which is okay because I think I got some useful info, plus, it just took a little bit o nothing and game me back a sh--load of previously mined coal, nitrate and lead.... I'm in to money!!! LOL
    I think I'll write down the steps and put them on my end table for next time.

Refugee

Works until it doesn't

It may seem like it works and may for a while but I just had my whole prefab remodel revert to before me. Deleted files like I do every 2 hours it crashes.. day 128. Fix this BS

Zombie Hunter
    Part of my trick to avoid it is to try and quit the game out before it crashes. Like every hour or so. Hard reset on the box, then load back in. I haven't tried the save delete yet, but will when I get lost in the game and forget to log out on my own.

Refugee
    Aw man, I wish I had found this thread last night. Misses and I lost our 2nd home to this bug. Huge raised building, all flooring concrete. Workbench, Cement Mixer, Forge, 50+ fertilised land & all food/water/resources/weapons ect...all gone, now back to the stone age again. Hope this prevents further occurrences as at this rate I'm put off home building all together.

Thanks to everyone who discovered, tested and reported on this potential work-around.

Ranger
    I got MD5 bug other day. It ripped apart a old iron bunker that had a garage door on it and a few boxes with loot and a bike and cement mixer. Oh well. But yeah I had flickering when I was at the near by building in the workbench. That was flickering and didn't show all the menus to craft stuff. Just showed the decor chair icon. Didn't show building or all or weapons/traps or first aid icons at all.

Then bam got black screen and dash board. Logged back in and that bunker was half missing. Its a old bunker as well. Isn't like I built it that day. I'm day 240+ now. That bunker was crafted probably around day 30 or less. I get a dash boarded from this game daily. But a bit odd a MD5 bug at day 240. Last MD5 bug on same server was around day 15 to 30.

Only reason I was even near that outpost was cause I was using the signs and labeling each tunnel. First time using signs to name each area. Also did some minor repairs adding cement blocks to the general store that has the vault trap door to my tunnel. Since I had a random zombie appears in the building. Not sure if they are spawning on my catwalks that connect to tree forts around the two general stores. Also this base has a bunch of spot lights.

I was gonna say maybe them caused the MD5 bug. But went on for like 200 days before the last MD5 bug. Not sure what caused it. I made some extra nails and ate some charred meat. My guy is always starving in the mountains at my other base. Even with the food perk maxed out. Seemed great to be in the general store town near Joels trading post. But then MD5 bug kicked in after a long time.

Refugee
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaverty View Post
    Aw man, I wish I had found this thread last night. Misses and I lost our 2nd home to this bug. Huge raised building, all flooring concrete. Workbench, Cement Mixer, Forge, 50+ fertilised land & all food/water/resources/weapons ect...all gone, now back to the stone age again. Hope this prevents further occurrences as at this rate I'm put off home building all together.

Thanks to everyone who discovered, tested and reported on this potential work-around.
    Just to follow up on this, I have had great success in completely avoiding game crashes by ensuring to restart the game once every hour or so. I've seen confusion over specifics required each hour, so all I've been doing is quitting the session back to 7D main menu, then jump to Xbox Dash, then quit 7D via "burger button". Then just reload 7D, no need to clear local saves or perform full restart of console.

If I forget to quit, I'll usually get a crash between 90-120 minutes into session. When it does crash, first thing I do is immediately delete local saves and then simply reload the game, no need to restart console. I have only experienced 1 MD5 since doing this (Details below) and have had several crashes.

Finally, when I start to see the HUD flicker and blank menus, initial indications of an MD5 crash, i repeatedly open menus to attempt to crash the game as quickly as possible. I read someone say that they quit 7D manually when they see the flicker, I tried this once, the game quit just fine but when I reloaded I experienced a partial MD5 on ~1/3rd of my base so now I just let the game crash, delete local saves and reload.

Hope this helps.

Refugee

I'm Done! - at least until consol update...

Just to follow up on this, I have had great success in completely avoiding game crashes by ensuring to restart the game once every hour or so. I've seen confusion over specifics required each hour, so all I've been doing is quitting the session back to 7D main menu, then jump to Xbox Dash, then quit 7D via "burger button". Then just reload 7D, no need to clear local saves or perform full restart of console.

If I forget to quit, I'll usually get a crash between 90-120 minutes into session. When it does crash, first thing I do is immediately delete local saves and then simply reload the game, no need to restart console. I have only experienced 1 MD5 since doing this (Details below) and have had several crashes.

Finally, when I start to see the HUD flicker and blank menus, initial indications of an MD5 crash, i repeatedly open menus to attempt to crash the game as quickly as possible. I read someone say that they quit 7D manually when they see the flicker, I tried this once, the game quit just fine but when I reloaded I experienced a partial MD5 on ~1/3rd of my base so now I just let the game crash, delete local saves and reload.

Hope this helps.
    I am playing with 120 minute days and was on day 74. So I had 148 hours invested in this particular seed. I built a 39x39 hole all the way to bedrock. I had the walls fortified with concrete and a center structure that went well above ground. It was an awesome construction project solo. About a half hour ago, Im standing on my top deck next to my mini bike not doing anything. not even touching the controller. And poof. No flicker. No warning. Just poof. Black screen and reboot. This is the 4th MD5 loss I've had in this seed. The previous ones were 16x16 to bedrock and occured along the edges. Not too bad, but I had to waste several hours each time to reclaim the loss. Keep in mind that I do the "delete saves" that is supposed to help. It does not...

And this one was different. It was massive. Like an 8.0 mag earthquake vs a 6.0. I lost 2 16x16 chuncks and a whopping 32x32 chunk - all the way to bedrock! Since the first Md5 errors wiped around the perimeter, i had centralized all my supplies and tools in the core. This one took it all, 3/4 sides and the core. 60-70% of my base is gone.

A couple of lessons for everyone. 1. my minibike was intact and in the proper location - so store your best stuff (on you base) in your minibike. and 2. Don't play this game on the console until they fix it. What a freaking waste of time... arrrgh.

Refugee
    Quote Originally Posted by KingDude62 View Post
    I am playing with 120 minute days and was on day 74. So I had 148 hours invested in this particular seed. I built a 39x39 hole all the way to bedrock. I had the walls fortified with concrete and a center structure that went well above ground. It was an awesome construction project solo. About a half hour ago, Im standing on my top deck next to my mini bike not doing anything. not even touching the controller. And poof. No flicker. No warning. Just poof. Black screen and reboot. This is the 4th MD5 loss I've had in this seed. The previous ones were 16x16 to bedrock and occured along the edges. Not too bad, but I had to waste several hours each time to reclaim the loss. Keep in mind that I do the "delete saves" that is supposed to help. It does not...

And this one was different. It was massive. Like an 8.0 mag earthquake vs a 6.0. I lost 2 16x16 chuncks and a whopping 32x32 chunk - all the way to bedrock! Since the first Md5 errors wiped around the perimeter, i had centralized all my supplies and tools in the core. This one took it all, 3/4 sides and the core. 60-70% of my base is gone.

A couple of lessons for everyone. 1. my minibike was intact and in the proper location - so store your best stuff (on you base) in your minibike. and 2. Don't play this game on the console until they fix it. What a freaking waste of time... arrrgh.
    I'm really sorry to hear you had such great loss. It really sucks to lose hours upon hours of work. I just wanted to say though that I have not experienced a single MD5 since my last post. On my 2 split screen games I'm on day 160 and 95, on my single player game I'm on around day 50, all with standard length days. I have put a lot of hours into this game, built a lot, made a lot of changes to existing structures and landscape ect. Before I started following the steps in my post I had experienced about 6 MD5's total, fortunately only 2 were devastating losses where the entire map reset back to day 1 whilst I had a lot of build and collections. Although, I do remember my bike staying in place on one of them so that might be a good shout there! It was parked under a tree, next to an untouched pre-fab. Whole map reset except that.

Your crash experience is very similar to mine. I only occasionally get hints the game is going to crash, such as flickering, most of the time the game just makes a sound like it's farted and poof back to XBox dash. When this happens, you must immediately, before doing anything else, delete all local data for the game. At this point your racing to delete your saves before your XBox can upload them. It doesn't work the first 1-5 times when you click to delete, so you just need to keep clicking delete until your save games AND local cache content disappear. Once they have disappeared, you can start the game back up at any time.

If you've deleted them correctly, you should have a very long wait after reaching the main menu while your game saves re-download and once you load into your game you should be 1-20 minutes behind where you were when it crashed. Where you load in, I think, is just before whatever happened to crash the game happened. On one occasion, the game crashed and when I loaded it back up I was back at a site I had just been digging out. I re-dug it out, wandered away and experienced another crash. This happened a 3rd time until I decided that something about digging in that spot was screwing my game up so I picked another spot.

You can almost 100% avoid crashes all together by making sure you restart the game once per hour. I do very occasionally still get crashes within the hour, but always delete saves and haven't had any problems since. The game seems to crash pretty consistently around the 1h15m-1h45m range.

I don't want you to feel I'm telling you matter of fact you've done something wrong here, I don't know everything, I just wanted to re-iterate the loss I have experienced and the huge success I've had avoiding further loss with these techniques, when followed properly. Maybe they aren't 100% solutions and I've just been lucky all these months. Who knows. Hopefully somewhat soon this game will be patched and we won't have to worry about this any more.

Inventor
    The single best way to avoid MD5 entirely is to play on PC. You lose split-screen but you gain so much more.

Refugee
    I'm really sorry to hear you had such great loss. It really sucks to lose hours upon hours of work. I just wanted to say though that I have not experienced a single MD5 since my last post. On my 2 split screen games I'm on day 160 and 95, on my single player game I'm on around day 50, all with standard length days. I have put a lot of hours into this game, built a lot, made a lot of changes to existing structures and landscape ect. Before I started following the steps in my post I had experienced about 6 MD5's total, fortunately only 2 were devastating losses where the entire map reset back to day 1 whilst I had a lot of build and collections. Although, I do remember my bike staying in place on one of them so that might be a good shout there! It was parked under a tree, next to an untouched pre-fab. Whole map reset except that.

Your crash experience is very similar to mine. I only occasionally get hints the game is going to crash, such as flickering, most of the time the game just makes a sound like it's farted and poof back to XBox dash. When this happens, you must immediately, before doing anything else, delete all local data for the game. At this point your racing to delete your saves before your XBox can upload them. It doesn't work the first 1-5 times when you click to delete, so you just need to keep clicking delete until your save games AND local cache content disappear. Once they have disappeared, you can start the game back up at any time.

If you've deleted them correctly, you should have a very long wait after reaching the main menu while your game saves re-download and once you load into your game you should be 1-20 minutes behind where you were when it crashed. Where you load in, I think, is just before whatever happened to crash the game happened. On one occasion, the game crashed and when I loaded it back up I was back at a site I had just been digging out. I re-dug it out, wandered away and experienced another crash. This happened a 3rd time until I decided that something about digging in that spot was screwing my game up so I picked another spot.

You can almost 100% avoid crashes all together by making sure you restart the game once per hour. I do very occasionally still get crashes within the hour, but always delete saves and haven't had any problems since. The game seems to crash pretty consistently around the 1h15m-1h45m range.

I don't want you to feel I'm telling you matter of fact you've done something wrong here, I don't know everything, I just wanted to re-iterate the loss I have experienced and the huge success I've had avoiding further loss with these techniques, when followed properly. Maybe they aren't 100% solutions and I've just been lucky all these months. Who knows. Hopefully somewhat soon this game will be patched and we won't have to worry about this any more.

I agree. I like living underground most of the time and have built some elaborate bases and have been wiped out by a crash. I know that for me, the well bomb shelter never crashes on me when I start mining, but the other bomb shelter with the garage and yard, crashes on me every time I mine in it so I don't mine it anymore. Haven't tried the delete saves but will give that a go next time.

Nomad
    This works most the time.The Xbox auto saves to the cloud every 15 minutes,thats why sometimes you lose 10 minutes sometimes less depending on where your at in the cycle. If it corrupts at the save the game will covert back to day 1 no matter what you do.
    Last edited by Muggs; 09-01-2018 at 12:35 AM.