Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which biome for nitrate?

Zombie Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by PiercedFromWithin View Post
    The few times I've tried digging into those surface deposits when I got more than about a block into the ground it was just dirt everywhere. Maybe I still don't know what gravel is, I assumed it was those piles of resources poking up out of the ground since there are no patches of anything that actually looks like gravel. But I only got a small amount of the resource right on the surface and then dirt, dirt and more dirt. More examination needed, I guess.
    The gravel always give sand and stone I think, but if you find something more than that when testing, somewhere from the surface to bedrock you will find that resource. Maybe you have to you to look some blocks to left and right, but if I dont remember wrong, digging straight down from where the gravel was will hit that vain of the resource.

Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by xxx73 View Post
    The gravel always give sand and stone I think, but if you find something more than that when testing, somewhere from the surface to bedrock you will find that resource. Maybe you have to you to look some blocks to left and right, but if I dont remember wrong, digging straight down from where the gravel was will hit that vain of the resource.
    Thanks, I'll keep trying. I assumed there would be resources running right up to the deposits, but I probably just didn't dig down far enough to get through the dirt layer in-between.

Reconstructionist ualldierealgood's Avatar
    Thanks, I'll keep trying. I assumed there would be resources running right up to the deposits, but I probably just didn't dig down far enough to get through the dirt layer in-between.
    We found all our nitrate in the burnt biome.there are surface nodes and gravel patches. You need to dig down about 10 blocks following the gravel. When you find something other than gravel or dirt follow that.

The few times I've tried digging into those surface deposits when I got more than about a block into the ground it was just dirt everywhere. Maybe I still don't know what gravel is, I assumed it was those piles of resources poking up out of the ground since there are no patches of anything that actually looks like gravel. But I only got a small amount of the resource right on the surface and then dirt, dirt and more dirt. More examination needed, I guess.
    That's not gravel, that is a surface deposit. Gravel is flat on the ground, just a mottled looking texture. When you dig it you will get sand/rock and a single piece of something else.

Surface deposits aren't connected to gravel or gravel path like you have noticed. Piles of resources are just random and don't lead to more.

The gravel paths what's you need looks like: http://i.imgur.com/sdDHIC8.jpg and when you dig it it will give it you sand and resource what is under it like iron, nitrate, coal, lead.. Follow the damn gravel path CJ!

All ores are in all biomes (except for oil shale which is only in the desert), except there's more predominant ores in each one - so I tend to go prospecting and just dig at gravel all over where I am until I find some veins of the ore I want, I don't really bother going to specific biomes for ore except the desert.

Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by SURU4 View Post
    Surface deposits aren't connected to gravel or gravel path like you have noticed. Piles of resources are just random and don't lead to more.

The gravel paths what's you need looks like: http://i.imgur.com/sdDHIC8.jpg and when you dig it it will give it you sand and resource what is under it like iron, nitrate, coal, lead.. Follow the damn gravel path CJ!
    Thanks for that! I can see why I've never been able to find it(okay, I didn't devote a WHOLE lot of time to looking) because that's not terribly obvious if not in perfect conditions. Now I know what to look for it might be a bit easier to spot. I had assumed the deposits must be what they were talking about since I couldn't find anything that looked like proper gravel. That and it seems to make more sense that you would find minerals near mineral deposits on the surface rather than just near random rocks. I guess those must have been shot out of volcanoes and just happened to land there.

Refugee
    thanks for working it out PFW I had been unsure myself!

Hunter
    So finally found Nitrate in the snow. Had to dig about 10-15 holes, but finally found one. Haven't finished mining it, but got 10k nitrate from it really quickly.

My base was on desert biome. I dug a tunnel from under it toward the snow biome. I found nitrates before I even got there.
    Now, is there any clay and coal deposit underground? Would love to not have to go topside to get them.

Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mundi View Post
    My base was on desert biome. I dug a tunnel from under it toward the snow biome. I found nitrates before I even got there.
    Now, is there any clay and coal deposit underground? Would love to not have to go topside to get them.
    Clay - no. You have to find it on the surface, but it's super easy and literally everywhere.

Coal is underground too.

Yup, as several people said, desert is the place to be for just about anything. Its easy mode, unless you are very careless.