Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 'ArgumentException: An element with the same key already exists in the dictionary.

schwanz9000
    From what I've observed no it's not version dependent. It seems to be a read write corruption
    in the save folder. I saw a lot of rephrased posts pointing to the same issue. I even had a
    prior completed mod sent to me to test.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/to9gnb7ck7...mple2.rar?dl=0

I used a16.3 before, this time i used A16.4 B8 Stable as the baseline. Some of the errors ive
    learned to recreate then i reverse engineered the process to find the actual problem.

It points to either a temporary security lockout as the file is being written, or an internal
    process rewriting or omitting a line. If a person has the issue, ask them to send you the
    main.ttw file affected.

Using notepad++ configured as stated above I could see that it was writing the sleeper cells
    and loot item handlers. The first 18 characters seem to be the designation for
    sleeper/game-stage/location. I didn't need to try to de-compile the machine language portion I
    just did a string find, and saw each sting has a singular occurrence.

I made a copy of my good ttw, then deleted a line, started the game with F1 pressed, and
    received error messages.
    Systematically I attempted copy/paste, deletion, addition/ to see each error.

Looking at the different posts. Logically since the exe and resource files are constant
    the only variable had to be a rewrite-able file. Amoschenbean hit on it first, I just did
    followup testing to see if it could be intentionally recreated. The dictionary reference is
    ambiguous, because i can create a similar error by incorrect syntax in the .xml files.

Potential options, background backup of main.ttw, basic loss of time between error and last
    backup. Relocation of save folder to full user controlled directory, potentially resolve error.

Just trying to help a fellow player not lose as much work/time invested.

Update

Update
    I went back to recheck.

The main.ttw file is volatile, It changes as a player moves, or any other interaction with the game.
    The main problem is corruption, being write privilege or lack thereof or abrubt disconnection.
    So the problem isn't necessarily the game process but the host process.

Explaination: No matter how well the game is written, it still has to follow OS rules.

Example: What happens when you abruptly press the reset switch on front of pc? If using windows
    you will probably see a message similar to. Failure to save data in open file or program possible
    corruption may occur.

The main.ttw is being appended constantly as long as game is running. Opening the file i saw how
    similar the naming strings are.

Examples:
    S_Default_MedI P
    S_LootRoom_XSdN oW
    S_LootRoom_XSaH mM
    S_LootRoom_XSaM mV
    S_LootRoom_XSZN xeW
    S_LootRoom_XSN xW
    S_LootRoom_XSDH SM
    S_LootRoom_XSDM SV
    S_Default_MedI XP
    S_LootRoom_XSaH CmM

There is a singular instance of each, but I wouldn't want to be the one to have to file these if
    they were folders labels. This was in a single location after a fresh start and region delete,
    this is only an excerpt.

At the end of the file is a string similar to this
    90C05512CB8D1F49965EE93C16821802

If it gets deleted or corrupted, you get an unable to read stream error.

Power.dat and vehicle.dat have a 1 minute delayed backup file.
    For main.ttw presently no backup. If suggestion is accepted.

1 Ingame creates folder. 2 creates a .zip once every five minutes during gameplay. As small as the
    file is it would take nearly 12 hours of real time play to add up to 1 megabyte. 3 on dictionary key
    error will restart process using last save, which was 5 minutes prior. If error then repeat going
    backward in the timeline. 4 upon good login delete all files in archive folder and start backing up
    again.

Endpoint user, preventive measures, 1 dont just X out especially if a lot of rendering is going on.
    If you must and have just gone to a structure with sleepers and loot give it a few seconds to finish
    loading. 2 create a batch file that just copies the main.ttw file when you double click it. Just think of it
    as a manual save point like in some other games.

This may also help with other dictionary errors, unless they were caused by .xml error.

Personal Batch Backup

For the end user/ This is the batch format and directions that i have been using.

@echo off
    set Source=main.ttw
    set Destination=E:\Main_ttw_backup\
    set Filename=Main.ttw
    set a=1

:loop
    if exist %Destination%\%Filename%(%a%) set /a a+=1 && goto :loop
    copy %Source% %Destination%\%Filename%(%a%)
    pause

1 open notepad
    2 copy the yellow text to notepad. name it MainTTW.bat
    3 save it to your profile folder that has the main.ttw file in it
    4 create a shortcut to batch file on desk top
    5 create a folder for destination backup I used E:\Main_ttw_backup\ you can make your own then replace text in batch and save.

periodically and especially before you close the game click the batch file shortcut
    thats it. When you log back on if you get the dictionary error. go to archive folder and copy the latest file there remove the brackets and number. and restart.

the format it saves as is
    Main.ttw(1)
    Main.ttw(2)
    Main.ttw(3)
    Last edited by 4sheetzngeegles; 11-05-2017 at 05:50 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by 4sheetzngeegles View Post
    For the end user/ This is the batch format and directions that i have been using.

@echo off
    set Source=main.ttw
    set Destination=E:\Main_ttw_backup\
    set Filename=Main.ttw
    set a=1

:loop
    if exist %Destination%\%Filename%(%a%) set /a a+=1 && goto :loop
    copy %Source% %Destination%\%Filename%(%a%)
    pause

1 open notepad
    2 copy the yellow text to notepad. name it MainTTW.bat
    3 save it to your profile folder that has the main.ttw file in it
    4 create a shortcut to batch file on desk top
    5 create a folder for destination backup I used E:\Main_ttw_backup\ you can make your own then replace text in batch and save.

periodically and especially before you close the game click the batch file shortcut
    thats it. When you log back on if you get the dictionary error. go to archive folder and copy the latest file there remove the brackets and number. and restart.

the format it saves as is
    Main.ttw(1)
    Main.ttw(2)
    Main.ttw(3)
    Hello! I'm having this issue on our dedi... One thing I'm noticing is that the config says: "x\Saves" is the folder save files, but when I look at the drive - I see: "x\x\7daystodie\Data" folder - I see in a "Worlds" folder with apparent saved games files too!

I was also wondering is this confirmed bug? Doesn't seem to have been addressed yet from what I saw. How do I handle this? I tried to 'start a new' game by changing seed name to a different name but it put me back at 'our current world.' Then there's confusion on which main.ttw file to use.

The batch file above is not a fix. I use it as a just in case.

From what ive read, experienced, different actions can cause the ttw corruption. EX. power spike or outage during connection, admin security for folder and subfolders, Abrupt disconnection of closing of game. The original ttw is in \steamapps\common\7 Days To Die\Data\Worlds\Random Gen and Nav folders.

I don't know if its actually considered a bug, because it's not fully game related. Part of it has to do with individual configurations, and personal access.

Reference to which ttw to use. Check the timestamps for creation date, go backward. The closest to your present time will have the most recent data changes. Example if you did 3 during a play session first at 12:00 noon second at 1:15 pm and third just before shut down at 1:30 pm. if you got corruption message at restart 6:00 pm. close game and replace the corrupted ttw with the one from 1:30pm since nothing was done between then and restart. If corruption then replace with 1:15pm. etc. That is why i suggested doing quite a few, especially if you are doing a lot of activity, it takes up no space, no real time, and lessens the inconvenience. I do mine manually with a shrtcut on desktop, but it can be posted in your taskmanager.

Two things come from this 1 not having to completely start from scratch, and figuring what was happening in your environment between last good config and shutdown.

Final result, after the logon is successful. just delete the ttw files created by the batch file and begin again. Rinse repeat per play session.
    Last edited by 4sheetzngeegles; 01-13-2018 at 03:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 4sheetzngeegles View Post
    Update
    <SNIP>
    Explaination: No matter how well the game is written, it still has to follow OS rules.

[COLOR="#FFFF00"]The main.ttw is being appended constantly as long as game is running. Opening the file i saw how
    similar the naming strings are.

If it gets deleted or corrupted, you get an unable to read stream error.

Power.dat and vehicle.dat have a 1 minute delayed backup file.
    For main.ttw presently no backup. If suggestion is accepted.

1 Ingame creates folder. 2 creates a .zip once every five minutes during gameplay. As small as the
    file is it would take nearly 12 hours of real time play to add up to 1 megabyte. 3 on dictionary key
    error will restart process using last save, which was 5 minutes prior. If error then repeat going
    backward in the timeline. 4 upon good login delete all files in archive folder and start backing up
    again.

Endpoint user, preventive measures, 1 dont just X out especially if a lot of rendering is going on.
    If you must and have just gone to a structure with sleepers and loot give it a few seconds to finish
    loading. 2 create a batch file that just copies the main.ttw file when you double click it. Just think of it
    as a manual save point like in some other games.

This may also help with other dictionary errors, unless they were caused by .xml error.
    Ugg! Sorry about that but I read this post and then went to the next...

So it's a partial or mostly OS error, but is/can be compounded by certain actions and isn't helped by the constant reading/writing | opening/closing. I kind of remember back in DOS when we had similar 'access violation'/'file open' type errors... lol