Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gnamod

Why? Its a stand-alone mod that doesn't need any other mods to play it. I just don't have time to make 'parts' of my mod compatible with other mods. I might release parts that will be compatible with vanilla, but that is as far as I will go if I have spare time after I have completed all else that I planned.

Refugee
    Howdy, I've been playing through a few mods lately, this one definitely offers up a different approach to the early game, at least that's how I've experienced it with a single player run so far. The biome work is pretty damn good, it looks so much more interesting compared to the typical open flat worlds I keep seeing from vanilla random gen. I appreciate how this mod isn't a massive overhaul, but changes enough to feel fresh.

I like how you need extra resources for even frames, doors and ladders, made the first few nights tricky (aka fun!). Somehow managed to not die yet despite hitting 4hp after a silent farmer ambushed me and gave me a lovely infection. I might have to put this down to the reworked loot system however, as on the 3rd day I found a 440 quality iron reinforced club among honey jars, then on 5th day a 350 quality composite bow, both in the forest. I'm only on day 8 so far and have been trapped down by early game harshness and bad luck to a scenic log cabin caught in a valley between two very high ridges, a narrow passageway and a lake. Still figuring out how harsh this mod is with its biomes, haven't found any sign of a city yet! Only a couple of wood cabins and funnily enough the only two POIs I've found that have spawned a massive silly column of earth next to a ridge are two underground cave hideouts.

The only issue I've came across so far is that on the blood moon no zombie hordes came rushing for my base. Is this intentional or is it an issue brought up by the nature of the new world generation? I had a run around the valleys on day 8 to see if a horde had been digging its way through but there was no evidence of any spawns during the night. Peculiar!

Anyway thanks for your work, enjoying the experience so far.

Thanks for the feedback, always good to hear how someone experiences the mod. I have been working hard to expand it and also on the world generation, which I will soon release along with Nomad Mode that I have been working on.

The silly round columns are a byproduct of how 'Wilderness',connected by the smaller (gravel)roads are spawned in the world. They just pick a spot and take the height of a block and level everything in a radius (or in most cases raise) the terrain. Since my world generation can create spikes of terrain that just conflicts, it already does in the vanilla generation but in my worlds its far more visible. No amount of effort on my part can do anything about it, unless I generate a really flat world (which is really boring).

Same goes for city generation, the size and amount of them is inversely related to the amount of noise (hills, mountains, lakes, peaks), so the more interesting the terrain gets, the less towns spawn since they need flat terrain for proper formation in their biggest form. This is a bit sad so its kind of a balancing act that I needed to do.

I greatly reduced the amount of wildness pois and reduced cell sizes so that a lot of smaller hubs can spawn, I also created a new terrain generation from scratch that is really interesting, so far the most natural looking terrain I have been able to create. It creates enough towns of good sizes but sadly it wont really spawn any big POIs like the skyscrapers (yet) but for Nomad Mode thats acceptable.

As for the loot, yeah the idea is that character level does not matter as much as luck, it helps you find more loot as you become stronger (bigger chance to find something rather than nothing) and in certain containers (common stuff like zeds, trash etc) the level also slightly increases quality, but many loot sources are level independent, meaning you always have the same chance for quality, which means you can roll a 600 quality item on day 1. To me this creates a rewarding experience in looting as every container has a chance to contain something valuable and every play is different. One time you find a nice club, the other time its a decent gun or a great magnum (but not enough bullets to use it properly).

The horde probably could not find you on that high tower, the first horde usually is very weak and small and if your gamestage was low you can easily miss it if it gets stuck somewhere. At some point I will also touch that part of the game to make it more interesting.

Survivor
    Hello. Came here after seeing a streamer playing with 'Horde Mode'. Can you say a little bit about what that is and how to set it up?

Edit: Nvm, I figured it out.
    Last edited by dreamdancer; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:11 PM.

Question This is embarrasing...

Hey, well as the title says this is a bit awkward, I was trying your mod (and I was having fun like a kid with a new toy) when I kinda scrapped the quest paper as I was in a rush to farm money... sooooo yeah... I'm screwed, right?

Anyway, the horde mode is fun, fast and adictive, and i think you should consider create a thread for the horde mode so more people notice it , but hey, that's is just my opinion

Refugee
    I too just found this mod due to Kage and GameEdge giving it a try. It is a great change of pace from how I normally play (e.g. dead is dead on Starvation... mostly slinking around the world and becoming a mole-man).

Loved day 1 and the first night. Got a nice little pole base I was able to defend (did not get great gear to start... no sniper and a sledge for melee... and no food in stash), had a nice night fighting off a few waves of enemies. Got lucky on day 2 and found a wire tool in a car, thought I could now build some real defenses with electricity... ran and got the airdrop (yeah FOOD), and got ready for night 2. However, I got NO VISITORS at all on night 2. Really weird. I ran the forge, put up lights, shot my weapon at things in the distance... nothing. No mini hordes... nothing. Not sure what happened. Really needed the money from kills, as I'm running short.

Any ideas what may have happened?

Ranger
    mod sounds awesome ill give it a try haid and get back to you on it. BTW i mcurious wat is necropolis it sounds sick

Survivor
    Hmm. Playing horde mode, I think the hordes might need a touch of rebalancing. Night 3 I got a horde that felt like a night 70. At least. 2 cops, multiple Wights, tons of spiders and utility guys(who do high block damage), birds, and a truly absurd number of total zombies. With 11 wide walls, 2 full walls were stacked to the brim with zombies, with more behind unable to reach the front. And for every zombie I killed, 2 more seemed to take their place. And way, way past the blood moon limit. This was the kind of horde I usually have steel walls, fans, and turrets before facing. My concrete toothy and barb wire was annihilated. It was a rout.

Really, really love the mod, it's the most fun I've had on the game for a while. But it feels a little disheartening to so quickly run into something that seems quite literally impossible so early on.

I will be updating this page this weekend with more information and I am working on an improved version as well with better balance on them hordes.

It is the nature of the trick (heat) I use that the hordes can grow into extremes, and they will ignore blood moon horde count (and I suspect they can even break the server limit, but not sure I will have to do some tests).

The horde was originally designed for just the one fun event and sort of balanced for a larger group, a more balanced for solo play version is planned where the hordes do not pick up so quickly, nor switch to the extreme lists as fast either (I think now from day 4 you get the most extreme list, which is nuts when you are alone).

@Blazer777 Necropolis is kind of what it sounds like, your world is just one dead city full of zombies and no places to hide. In its current development form its rather extreme still, since it is just one biome with small patches of water. When I get horde mode a bit more balanced this mode will be next to get some attention. This mode is for extreme hardcore players that normally do the game on insane and find that to easy. There are some vids around on YT of the A15 version that will give you an idea. The mod however does require a good machine in A16, lot more buildings, skyscrapers and decorations and sleepers make it hard on CPU/RAM, I will tone the latter down in most filler pois, which hopefully will help make it playable.

But thanks for the feedback, I will take it all into account and just keep posting it here (suggestions too, for stuff you think can be better or what should be in the vendors in Horde Mode). The next version of Horde Mode I will be using Secret Stash and Barter (probably renamed to fit the theme) to control prices and stock. This way a player can upgrade his vendor rather than it being totally random like it is now. I want it to have a bit more progression, always have key raw materials and things like health/food/drink/low grade ammo, and if you get higher tiers in these skills that it also sells the higher tiers and more premade blocks and higher materials. This of course needs to scale with horde intensity, so its not easy

Quote Originally Posted by GoatPunishment View Post
    I too just found this mod due to Kage and GameEdge giving it a try. It is a great change of pace from how I normally play (e.g. dead is dead on Starvation... mostly slinking around the world and becoming a mole-man).

Loved day 1 and the first night. Got a nice little pole base I was able to defend (did not get great gear to start... no sniper and a sledge for melee... and no food in stash), had a nice night fighting off a few waves of enemies. Got lucky on day 2 and found a wire tool in a car, thought I could now build some real defenses with electricity... ran and got the airdrop (yeah FOOD), and got ready for night 2. However, I got NO VISITORS at all on night 2. Really weird. I ran the forge, put up lights, shot my weapon at things in the distance... nothing. No mini hordes... nothing. Not sure what happened. Really needed the money from kills, as I'm running short.

Any ideas what may have happened?
    Hard to say what happened. The hordes are heat based, so they should come unless they somehow get stuck and there is no room anymore to spawn, but you would notice that. You can try the command le (listentities) if it happens to see what is around. The biome spawns go out at night to make room for the hordes.

One of the sad parts of the game still being in alpha is that sometimes buggy stuff happens that is hard to reproduce which could be caused by the mod but also just be a random fluke. Keep on trying and keep an eye on your console for any errors that may pop up.

I hope you get it working. If it stays this way, try verifying your base game in steam and uninstalling the mod in the launcher and make a new fresh copy, perhaps that resolves the issue.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LordAlucardo View Post
    Hey, well as the title says this is a bit awkward, I was trying your mod (and I was having fun like a kid with a new toy) when I kinda scrapped the quest paper as I was in a rush to farm money... sooooo yeah... I'm screwed, right?

Anyway, the horde mode is fun, fast and adictive, and i think you should consider create a thread for the horde mode so more people notice it , but hey, that's is just my opinion
    The quest paper is a problem I am aware of, as is the way money is earned. Its not perfect, but worked for the event. It does not perform so good as the sole way to earn money and 50 kills is easily done. I will make sure replacements for it to be sold in the vendor, or making it craftable. But for now just use the creative (cm) menu for it and replace it when you scrap it or lose it because your inventory is full.

Refugee
    Haidrgna, thanks for the response and this awesome variation of the game.

I restarted a new world, and everything was working fine (felt a bit more confident thinking I knew what I was doing). Got a nice area, built a nice 7x7 pole base, and was nicely stocked with weapons (best lot of the 3 tries so far). Night one was as to be expected, everything held and I could do mostly melee to save ammo. Day 2 was spent upgrading, getting some workstations upstairs (workbench, forge and chem station) to start production on ammo. The stash had a lot of food (but almost no ammo... no biggie I thought). Did some exploring, got the air drop, and waited for night 2. It was a nice fight. Had some exploding Big Mommas, and a few waves of Zs... was a good test for day 2 with only poles and no other defenses. Day 3 was mostly a waste as I was searching for a water source to fill my jars so I could make more glue (needed in some recipes). Did not fine any (GNASpose2) in my seed. No biggie, if I could just find some tires, I'd have a minibike so I could drive around. VERY FEW tires around, went 0-for-2. Made about 20 explosive x-bow bolts and got ready for night 3.

HOLY BALLS!!!! I ran into what Dreamdancer did. When they started coming, I was looking west and saw about 10-12 banging on that wall. Cool, no prob, gonna destroy them with my explosive bolts. Bam bam... awesome. Look to the North... there are 10-12 banging on that wall. Look to the South, about 10-12 banging on that wall. Afraid to look behind me, as the noise there suggested the same. Uh oh. At 23:00, I'm outta bolts, and the poles are about to crumble. Climb upstairs and kill over 50 Zs (because I had to re-read the quest when I got up there and once again before the whole thing collapsed).

So, yeah, that happened! Was momentarily frustrated at the insane exponential increase in horde strength... but then realized... this was the most fun I've had in a while. Kudos to you.

Gonna dust off my pride, put it back on the shelf, dream a little bit about what I need to do differently, and I'm gonna conquer Night 3 tomorrow. Probably not, but 'eff it, I'm gonna try!!!

Thanks Haidrgna, really, thanks! Keep up the good work, looking forward to seeing this thing progress.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dreamdancer View Post
    Hmm. Playing horde mode, I think the hordes might need a touch of rebalancing. Night 3 I got a horde that felt like a night 70. At least. 2 cops, multiple Wights, tons of spiders and utility guys(who do high block damage), birds, and a truly absurd number of total zombies. With 11 wide walls, 2 full walls were stacked to the brim with zombies, with more behind unable to reach the front. And for every zombie I killed, 2 more seemed to take their place. And way, way past the blood moon limit. This was the kind of horde I usually have steel walls, fans, and turrets before facing. My concrete toothy and barb wire was annihilated. It was a rout.

Really, really love the mod, it's the most fun I've had on the game for a while. But it feels a little disheartening to so quickly run into something that seems quite literally impossible so early on.
    Me too, just ran in to the insane Night 3 attack. Was not expecting THAT!!! Holy Balls!
    I've never played Multiplayer in 7d2d, but I think for this mod, this might be a good idea (if the lag/frames don't make it unplayable with so many Zs at once--maybe the lack of trees, buildings, etc. will help balance the load).

Yey!!!

Thanks for the response. It's nice to know that this is being worked on actively.

Anyway I did some poking on my own with the creative menu and found the quest so I was able to progress for a while... Until i reach the third night (I play with the 120 min day cycle) and hell broke loose: I built a massive building, as I ussually do, but no amount of concrete could have saved me.

ALL the Zs attacked only one of the walls, there were so many Zs that they chewed up 4 layers of concrete as if was wood (slighty exagerated) and all my ammo, explosives and weapons were emptied/broken in a manner of minutes (also slighty exagerated)...

I did win almost 200k that night alone, though haha

Survivor
    I'd be down to jump in on a multiplayer of this mod if anyone wants to host(my computer is a potato, so hosting it on mine is not a keen plan). 30 minute days, a few players, see how far we can go in a few hours? Set up a time, my calendar is pretty open the next few days. I have discord. Tag is #4349

Haidgr, Thanks for the super quick response. Glad to hear it's being updated and looking forward to the single player version. Having the quest paper be for sale in the shop sounds really useful. One suggestion I might add is after the first couple runs of 5 zeds, have it be more. 10-20 or even more. 50 kills for 10,000 coins. Reason is there is a bit of a hang time between one quest ending and another beginning, so if you are rapid-fire killing a horde(or killing many at a time with exploding bolts), some of your kills don't get counted. And every kill counts.

For changes to the vendor, my suggestions would be: Always have at least one stack of water. Been a couple days I've seen no drinks at all, and seen people looking for water for glue in comments(gotta get that crossbow for the exploding bolts). I would make heal items and vitamins more expensive. Maybe make meat pies a little rarer. I'd put engines(or gasoline, not both) in the secret stash items or rare in the normal. Power feels like it should be a struggle to get and/or keep going, as electric fences feel like they'll be really strong in this, and other traps will be a really powerful panic button. It is possible to set up a base that can handle literally any number of enemies with enough work in vanilla, and you want that to be really hard to reach, or hard to keep running.

I think it might be good to have the starter kit be a little less random. Sometimes starting with cloth and other times with bandit armor is a big swing. Some days starting with amazing weapons, other days with a compound bow, a pistol and a hunting rifle. In the long run, if the mod stays popular and its worth it to you to keep investing energy into it, having starting classes ala Valmod/Ravenhearst could be cool. Nothing as involved as that, just a variety of preset balanced starter kits. One with sniper and pistol, one with crossbow and hunting rifle, one with an 8 shot shotgun, one with great armor but less advanced ranged weapons, one with a lot of building materials, a nailgun and a workbench, one just with a bunch of extra cash, a hunting knife and some rags. Or even some unique weapons that you can only get in the starter kit(if you include a unique melee, need to also include a recipe for it or somehow make it always repair perfectly) . Though Idk, maybe people prefer the randomness? There is something to be said for being forced to adapt.

Idk though, overall it seems a great idea. And congrats on the sudden surge of attention you have gotten from the splash on all the major 7days folks' YouTube channels. I think your idea has really hit a chord for people.
    Last edited by dreamdancer; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:30 AM.

Survivor
    Other things that need to always be there: Clay and concrete. Not finding forged iron isn't too big a deal, as there is often a forge and you can make it. But your biomes don't seem to have any clay, and 2 days in a row without any showing up is rough. And -any- morning that doesn't bring concrete, unless you were lucky enough to score a mixer, is probably the last day. Unless you saved up, which is hard to do given the expense, you might as well just quit the game. Sitting here on the morning of the 3rd day, looking at the shambles of my walls and the 30k in my pocket, with no forged iron, no clay, no concrete, and no hope at all of even putting up a token resistance against the 3rd night...

This mod somehow indeed seems to tick all the boxes, random starter pack with great loot, shopping for stuff, building a base and continuous action. The starting kit is originally for the Nomad Mode mod, which is supposed to be really random. I added them to the shop list so people can buy another for a chance of more good stuff, but they are supposed to be something to get you going right away. The vendor should just be selling armor and clothes as well.

The vendor is going to have to go through a good retouching, I think I can now make it spawn stuff more consistantly, but will need to make the lists for that, having it have like a stack of drinks (or murky water) and have always some food (even if it is just ration cans) and at least a stack of meds. Ammo will be more tricky, but thats why the vendor sells lead, brass, coal and potas, you can essentially start producing ammo from day 1. The mod is all about the choices, buying everything might not work every time.

I do not agree that the vendor should always sell concrete, but when it does it should sell enough at once. I think currently it nearly always has it in large amounts, but it hardly matters if the amount of zeds is just to much for a single person to keep up with.

I am also still thinking about the day 1 pacing, right now you can get a lot of distraction from the screamers to a point where if you play with shorter days (like 12 hours of daylight) you will not get everything properly setup or have the time to think of a strategy with what is available.

But there is 2 things thats on my list, vendor and price balance (the prices are just either vanilla values or arbitrary set, I want them to be based on the mats they are made off + crafting investment needed, such as time and workstations needed) and horde/zombie distribution. For multiplayer the current version works, but might be a bit to insane since it really goes to max zombies quickly. Thats why the lists of zombies that can spawn need to reflect what you can have.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dreamdancer View Post
    Other things that need to always be there: Clay and concrete. Not finding forged iron isn't too big a deal, as there is often a forge and you can make it. But your biomes don't seem to have any clay, and 2 days in a row without any showing up is rough. And -any- morning that doesn't bring concrete, unless you were lucky enough to score a mixer, is probably the last day. Unless you saved up, which is hard to do given the expense, you might as well just quit the game. Sitting here on the morning of the 3rd day, looking at the shambles of my walls and the 30k in my pocket, with no forged iron, no clay, no concrete, and no hope at all of even putting up a token resistance against the 3rd night...
    Clay exists in Gnamod in All biomes, it will always be around in layers 3+, it may look like dirt from above, but there are dirt blocks that have a bit of clay and clay blocks that have a bit of dirt. Its just not visible on the surface, requires a bit of effort to get to, but its there if the vendor does not sell.