Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Gnamod

Tracker
    For balancing single vs multiplayer: Are you using gamestage to determine the hordes? If so, one way to rebalance for fewer players(which is an added challenge simply due to fewer vendors) would be to simply change the line in gamestage.xml that is the gamestage equation. Currently having multiple players around doesn't really increase the gamestage very much. You could tweak the equation to increase the weighting of having multiple players. just setting diminishingReturns to 0 would do a lot. This probably wouldn't change the number of zombies much, but you could use it to tinker with when the worst nasties show up for smaller player groups.

- - - Updated - - -

Of note: This wouldn't reduce the gamestage for smaller groups, it would increase it for larger, so you'd have to balance around that.

Tracker
    Also, playing again with longer days, getting self-made concrete before day 3 seems to be pretty easy, so yeah, it might not need to be always in the vendor.

One thought might be to have the vendor have slightly smaller pools of gear with larger groups, if you can easily code that. Obviously larger groups need more stuff, but the tricky thing with the vendor doesn't tend to be if they have -enough-, but if they have any of the thing you want at all. Having 3, 4, or more vendors ends up practically guaranteeing that all of the basic stuff is always there, and makes it very likely that at least a few high importance items will show up each day(high capacity shotguns, exploding bolts, desert eagles, AKs etc).

Survivor
    Couple questions and thoughts: How would MP work with the beacon? Each player has their own? Do they spawn different items? What would the heat look like if the two were stacked together inside the same base? What if three where there? Oh my!

In my first two plays, I tried to work my way to make my own steel and concrete mix, to save money. However, I never quite got there, because I don't think I was high enough level to earn the perks (concrete or steel) in enough time to make it worth it. With the longer crafting times, starting production mid-day 3 was just too late to make a difference. Any chance we can get these perks unlocked from the very start, to allow us to start production of these key resources on day 1 if we get the right mats? I know this is supposed to be a mod that focuses on killing and buying, but having an ability to be a little self-sufficient would be nice.

One thing I would NOT want you to change is the randomness of the stash or make everything always available. I love the challenge of opening up the stash at 1am that first night and looking at what is there and what is not. Makes me think about what I have to change in my strategy (if at all) on the fly before the next screamer shows up... and to me, that is fun. "Uh oh, no _____, change of plans... what am I gonna do now?" LOVE IT!!!! Of course, I can't get to day 4 yet, so for me, wiping due to random spawning of items in stash after about 4-6 IRL hours of play is no big deal, it's not like I've invested 50 hours in the world. If it doesn't work, fight like mad until dead, learn, try again!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dreamdancer View Post
    I'd be down to jump in on a multiplayer of this mod if anyone wants to host(my computer is a potato, so hosting it on mine is not a keen plan). 30 minute days, a few players, see how far we can go in a few hours? Set up a time, my calendar is pretty open the next few days. I have discord. Tag is #4349

Haidgr, Thanks for the super quick response. Glad to hear it's being updated and looking forward to the single player version. Having the quest paper be for sale in the shop sounds really useful. One suggestion I might add is after the first couple runs of 5 zeds, have it be more. 10-20 or even more. 50 kills for 10,000 coins. Reason is there is a bit of a hang time between one quest ending and another beginning, so if you are rapid-fire killing a horde(or killing many at a time with exploding bolts), some of your kills don't get counted. And every kill counts.

For changes to the vendor, my suggestions would be: Always have at least one stack of water. Been a couple days I've seen no drinks at all, and seen people looking for water for glue in comments(gotta get that crossbow for the exploding bolts). I would make heal items and vitamins more expensive. Maybe make meat pies a little rarer. I'd put engines(or gasoline, not both) in the secret stash items or rare in the normal. Power feels like it should be a struggle to get and/or keep going, as electric fences feel like they'll be really strong in this, and other traps will be a really powerful panic button. It is possible to set up a base that can handle literally any number of enemies with enough work in vanilla, and you want that to be really hard to reach, or hard to keep running.

I think it might be good to have the starter kit be a little less random. Sometimes starting with cloth and other times with bandit armor is a big swing. Some days starting with amazing weapons, other days with a compound bow, a pistol and a hunting rifle. In the long run, if the mod stays popular and its worth it to you to keep investing energy into it, having starting classes ala Valmod/Ravenhearst could be cool. Nothing as involved as that, just a variety of preset balanced starter kits. One with sniper and pistol, one with crossbow and hunting rifle, one with an 8 shot shotgun, one with great armor but less advanced ranged weapons, one with a lot of building materials, a nailgun and a workbench, one just with a bunch of extra cash, a hunting knife and some rags. Or even some unique weapons that you can only get in the starter kit(if you include a unique melee, need to also include a recipe for it or somehow make it always repair perfectly) . Though Idk, maybe people prefer the randomness? There is something to be said for being forced to adapt.

Idk though, overall it seems a great idea. And congrats on the sudden surge of attention you have gotten from the splash on all the major 7days folks' YouTube channels. I think your idea has really hit a chord for people.

Yep, I've seen the link in the launcher for a long time, never really learned anything about it until I saw Kage848 and GEdge give it a go. I'm hooked now.

I'd be up for doing MP, but I've never done it before on PC (I'm a recent convert from XB1), so have no idea how to set it up or even join something in progress. I'm a bit of a dinosaur (age) and not even sure what is Discord (ha---well, that's kinda sad really, not funny).

Tracker
    For a quick look at what MP looks like:

https://youtu.be/n09P5JnhvzM

Tracker
    I have run into something of a game breaking flaw... most recent play, made it to 3rd night and as usual it was a hellscape. Both lines of my defenses fell(the outer was just cobble) and I retreated to the roof, but then I fell off. And my way back up had been destroyed(I'd just had frames). So I downed a grain alcohol and started playing run'n'gun. Eventually I was just being mobbed too much and found myself just naturally straying further and further from the base. Partly to give myself half a moment of inventory shuffling, partly just from being chased further and further away. I fought through the night and survived(approaching night 4 still no deaths), but came back to the base to find a whole bunch of cops just milling around. They didn't bother to touch my flag. It took only a couple hundred damage all told. Mopped up with the morning light and went to work rebuilding.

Issue is that this presents a kind of removes a lot of the tension. Knowing that, if I run away my base will be safe sort of undermines the core engagement. Not sure if this is meaningfully fixable though, as zombie behavior is hard coded...

Tracker
    Man... It seems like you have to start saving up -everything- right from the start. Looking for tool and die, stocking brass, lead, coal, nitrate, etc. Or idk maybe just overbuying ammo. Because some days there is no ammo. And if you use over 1000 rounds over the course of a night(none of it autofire even), run yourself out of almost everything, and wake up to no ammo in the store, you are at the end of your adventure....
    Last edited by dreamdancer; 01-06-2018 at 05:40 PM.

Yeah this mod idea seems easy at first, but there is a lot stuff that is hard to balance.

There are no game stages involved, its just heat. Heat is fickle and can be high or low depending on player activity. The kind of zombies the screamers can call are on game stages, but those are only used on day 1.

I noticed many of the things as well, I have so far failed to get the zombies to actually want to Attack the beacon, when I make the bottom block a door (which they more easily attack) the thing collapses on spawn. I probably will severly reduce the HP the vendor and core blocks have so if zombies breach they will far more likely break it (or wittle it down if you survive).

The mode was never intended for days longer than 60 minutes, we played it MP on 40 and 12 hours daylight, thats rough solo so 60 / 14 would probably be more optimal for SP. If you go 90 or 120 you can more easily spend your day 1 farming zombies and building up a solid base. I cannot force people to play on shorter days, but the experience will vary greatly. The mod is intended as a throw away arcade style compared to other Gnamod mods, and I think you should really play it dead is dead when going solo.

I also noticed that the cops summoned by the hordes do not always attack and somehow might just not see the player or have a different way of engaging compared to normal zeds. The running off base, I might correct this by making the area smaller and surrounding it with radioactive biomes much closer, probably with their own spawns on (while the only biome you want to be in would be in the center). Currently the world is to large probably for the mode. I will have to think what will be the best solution to this, I am hoping I can make the beacon more volatile so you will need to defend it.

Tracker
    Hmm. Making the bottom block a door itself makes it fall, but have you tried making it a solid block and just giving it the door tag?

- - - Updated - - -

property name="Tag" value="Door"/

Tracker
    I am also curious what would happen if you made a block and gave it EntityType=Player. Looking at the entityclasses, the npc bandits are given the Player class, which might be the tag that makes zombies attack it. If you can give an object 2 entitytypes,, or if entitytype being right isn't needed for inheritance, and give it a physicsbody of a regular block, it might just trick the system into working like a block but encouraging zeds to eat it.

Nomad
    just curious as im nto sure with this mod but where do the folders go for each one? Just wondered as i dont wanna emss anything up

Survivor
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamdancer View Post
    I am also curious what would happen if you made a block and gave it EntityType=Player. Looking at the entityclasses, the npc bandits are given the Player class, which might be the tag that makes zombies attack it. If you can give an object 2 entitytypes,, or if entitytype being right isn't needed for inheritance, and give it a physicsbody of a regular block, it might just trick the system into working like a block but encouraging zeds to eat it.
    I'm no expert, but if my research is correct (mostly watching Vendui and CapOO), making it a door won't do anything, as Zeds don't "attack" doors more than anything else, supposedly they just see them as empty blocks, so will head toward a door if it is the proper path to the player. Just having a random door is not going to trigger or attract a Zed.

From my experience, it seems the Zeds HATE the pigs and boars. They constantly attack them, even ignoring me in the process. Maybe coding the bottom block of the beacon as a boar or pig will get the Zeds excited to attack the base. Of course, if you could code it as a player, that would do the trick as well, but not sure if that would make it problem some other way.

Tracker
    I have been trying to figure out how to code it as a 'player' type for the past several hours, since I was curious about this. But apparently the game has separate things that are 'Entities' and 'Blocks' that each have different sets of properties. And so far, I am having trouble making zombies want to attack any 'Block' object, and I am uncertain any 'Entity' object can hold weight. By that I mean structural weight, being able to hold other objects on top of it, which is important as the beacon is multiple separate objects. I am going to poke at it to see if Entities can be given the Structural property.

Btw Haidgr, sorry for cluttering your thread with all this...

Survivor
    Problem with DL.

No Data in File.

.zip is 0 bytes. Claims to be 170.

Am I missing something or Infected with 0 day?

Attempted with firefox, Chrome, Edge. Same results.

The download link is still an old version, if you want to play the latest version for now it is only available on SphereII's launcher. When I get around updating this post I will also update the download link.

I am not sure its even possible to give a block an entity type, but I can look into it.

Tracker
    It does not seem to be possible to give a block an entity type. And I cannot figure out if it is possible to make a block spawn an entity in an exact location. If it is, one could plantgrowing an invisible, structural air block in the beacon stack, and then spawn a crate-like entity in that air gap. I've made -that- aspect work, creating a gap above the second vendor that works to support the flag(BeaconLight) but will still fall if its base is destroyed. But the function calls to spawn entities are lost in the bowels of the dlls somewhere, and I can find no easy description of how they work or how to call them. So it would take a deep dive into the dlls to figure it out and even then it might not actually be possible without -changing- them.

So at this point it looks like you have to set your own homemade lose conditions.