Page 4 of 73 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official A17 Developer's Diary for Developers

Undisclosed bunker somewhere on planet earth
    Quote Originally Posted by ZombieToad View Post
    I didnt say he said that, you are linking my quote to him, not me.

Also I corrected my post to reflect his post which was zombies spawning underground, including in tunnels built by the player.

New point --->If 'air pockets' are what I understand to be places without blocks (if not then correct me) then it stands to reason that the player could dig down diagonally, return closer to the surface, and descend again only to find a zonbie at the bottom of the tunnel.

Is that correct?

If not then I accept I have misunderstood something and you can enlighten me.

If it is then that is an absolutely bad idea, and is little more than a planned magic spawn which would turn a previous bug into a current feature.

Immersion breaking and just downright annoying. I dont mind being killed by zombies for a lack of skill, but to be done in in a one way tunnel of which only you are in, near the surface seeing nothing could get inside, only to be met with a magically spawned zombie when you go back down? No thanks.

Btw I literally just woke up and im using my mobile, expect some errors and corrections.

Edit: I dont see much difference between zombies digging down to you or spawning at or around your level and digging their way through to you.

The second choice is even worse than the ability to dig down since these just spawn in destroying enough blocks to start swinging giving you little time to do much. In fact if that happens theres literally nothing you could do until either it digs to you or you dig to it and kill it.

And thats what I mean by immersion breaking.

I dont mind a challenge but thats just taking the piss. And like I said I just hope if this concept ever does make it that it is an option able to be turned off by the player.

Just consider all your players and not just the majority, for id wager that if things were reversed there would be some features that would upset the majority.

Everyone has their own playstyle and its unfair to take that away from them.

I think you misunderstood. The only time zombies would just spawn would be when you're digging, eg; you happen to dig a tunnel beside a block or position marked as a buried dead body. That's when it would spawn.

After you have dug the tunnel, the only time they would dig out would be during a blood moon based on your game stage. We wouldn't want them murdering everyone like crazy but for someone that's been a hermit for a while and gets a high gamestage, the game would start adjusting for their tactics by spawning blood moon hordes underground and having them dig out. If multiple players and one is above ground, split up the spawns for above and below ground.

This may even be regulated by a specific zombie type to keep things fair until very very high game stages. Eg; only spawning crawler types at first, then up it as the game stage goes up.

Since players in general don't want their worlds becoming swiss cheese but still want a threat when playing cave dweller this was what was thought up as a decent interim even if a bit gamey. Again just an idea, not set in stone for sure.
    Last edited by Kinyajuu; 10-18-2017 at 10:44 PM.

Undisclosed bunker somewhere on planet earth
    Quote Originally Posted by Tin View Post
    What if...
    I line the walls, floor and ceiling with log spikes then another block?

What if you take that placement of zeds and make a block instead that you trigger that has an AOE and it releases a toxic gas so you need to use the gas mask? and slowly lowers the O2 like your drowning?
    That's a neat idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkfoxx117 View Post
    *Cough VIDEO COUGH*
    New video coming tonight in about two hours. Funny you mention coughing, I swallowed wrong and was coughing in the video lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Matyese View Post
    Hell yeah! So bad it's 1:33 AM in Poland right now... Anyway I hope that's some big ass info Madmole!
    I show 3 of many many new houses in the new prefab editor. All of Diersville has new houses with the dungeon like gameplay that the skyscrapers of A16 has. And I talk about vehicles a bit at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt 1977 View Post
    Nice

Great halloween costume boss.
    Thanks man. It was fun to dress up, it used to be a regular thing and I hadn't done anything for about 10 years so it was nice to get back into the spirit!

Quote Originally Posted by Gipothegip View Post
    These are some very nice houses. I love the new textures and all of the detail put into them. They look to be well designed.

However, I'm wondering if they're all going to be so cluttered, or otherwise loaded up like warehouses. It would seem odd to me if the majority of houses looked like that with pallets and furnitures stacked everywhere.

I think there should be houses designed more as if they were abandoned. They could use the same design principles, but be built up like they were left behind and perhaps allowed to fall apart, rather than as if survivors lived there holed up with their supplies (which appears to be the case with the houses you've shown us).

Basically, it would be odd if every house were loaded with stuff. I'm hoping there's still houses with more of an abandoned feel, but incorporating the new design elements.
    We still have abandoned houses.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasSurvives View Post
    I am just curious if the new houses are going to be in random gen as well or just Diersville?
    Of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Guppycur View Post
    Or, randomize loot locations like you do sleepers. Done.

...send the royalty checks via direct deposit.
    We already do, you just haven't paid attention.

Quote Originally Posted by JCrook1028 View Post
    I love the new building blocks being added. Dungeon houses? Meh, same as the skyscrapers, good for one time then you bust thru the quick way ignoring the path and get the good stuff. I gotta say tho it really bugged me seeing plastic wrapped full pallets in those houses, basements and attics no less. I'd love to see how that forklift got those in there and if you say they were hand stacked then why plastic wrapped together. That is done so you can move the whole pallet without spilling the load. Just looks silly and out of place in a house, belongs in warehouses and the back stockrooms of the stores.
    But carrying fifty tons of stone, a few engines, etc is fine?

Quote Originally Posted by Guppycur View Post
    Random locations, not loot containers, oh bearded one.
    We have random loot containers in random locations.

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Deluxe View Post
    Yep this is ok. (A Good alternative would be Area access to the vehicle and transport vehicles)
    You guys will be impressed when I start showing the vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by caatalyst View Post
    Hey MM,

Is the breadcrumb system still planned to be added to the game? It's one of the things i'm most looking forward to.
    Some kind of pathing improvements are coming.

Quote Originally Posted by FirefightGI View Post
    @Madmole, if you want more freedom with textures look into one of the texture streaming solutions for Unity, as a Unity dev myself I can say they help a ton as far as texture memory management goes.

For Unity I know of two solutions:

Granite:
    Web link:
    http://graphinesoftware.com/products/granite-for-unity

Asset Store Link:
    https://assetstore.unity.com/package...?aid=1011l3btC

Amplify Texture 2: (PC only)
    http://amplify.pt/unity/amplify-texture-2/

Unity can achieve far better graphics even with a voxel world just look at this voxel engine for example:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/terr...errain.174595/

..side note, UMA is gross switch to MCS better for texture memory and looks way better; at least for player characters, it would only take a day or two to switch out then you just convert the UMA clothes to MCS which is a simple process, shouldn't break animations either.

#4k graphics 7DTD 2018?...don't let texture memory hold you back!

-Tolin Simpson,
    Owner/programming lead, Leatherbound Games
    We actually tried both, the draw calls went up substantially with AT2 and calling the workflow klunky would be generous. I didn't get a hands on with granite but was told by our coder it was slow as well. Basically we were seeing a good memory reduction, but at a huge cost of FPS drop. There were some options to decrease draw calls, but required free layers we didn't have the time to find. We gave our concerns to the AT2 devs so hopefully they can address them and we'll try again in A18.

Quote Originally Posted by sillls View Post
    Has anyone noticed that all the cars in Madmole's video are green.

Roland's avatar is now green...
    The question everyone should be asking is what Roland has been up to. Hmmm...
    All cars in the editor are green. They get randomized when you make a seed for a new game.