Page 5 of 74 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official A17 Developer's Diary for Developers

Ok guys... new video coming. Its pretty cool!

Quote Originally Posted by stallionsden View Post
    Man those vehicles are amazing. The new as totally brilliant. The bandits and npcs look scary as. That red head z is horrendous tho and so doesn't fit Into the game :-D.
    *Wastes time making witty comments to fake video as new official video is missed* :/

Undisclosed bunker somewhere on planet earth
    *le poof*

To avoid getting TOO technical. Basically items no longer use Attributes like they used to. They are now called passive effects. These effects were in turn expanded to allow usage in buffs and player progression.

These values are now housed inside min_effects which allows custom var tracking (per entity, not global). With that ALL min event entries also contain event triggers when various things happen in the game engine such as doing damage to an entity or taking damage. For each of these events there are many actions that can be performed such as changing a custom variable value, stopping/starting sounds, screen effects, move speed, jump ability, skill level adjustments and much more.

On items, the passives and triggers only fire if worn or held to keep things from going crazy.

So now we can have cooler effects and much more granular buffs all with much better performance and nearly 0 garbage collection out of these systems.

I don't want to spoil too much. Let's just say these newly redesigned systems are going to allow us to do much much more to affect the player, both good and bad.
    Last edited by Kinyajuu; 11-26-2017 at 06:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamida View Post
    With no garbage collection, won't things get a bit stinky?
    hehehe. I mean it makes 0 garbage in RAM for the game to have to clean up when the garbage collector runs.

Quote Originally Posted by almightypmj View Post
    So is this one of those benefits to the new version of Unity or is this a decision made independent of Unity's version?
    Independent decision, has nothing to do with Unity's version. This has been planned for a while, I was simply busy with other systems (and planning/designing) prior to now.
    Last edited by Kinyajuu; 11-26-2017 at 07:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chaosterone View Post
    Kinyajuu,
    This sounds really awesome. Is this part of the plan for making legendary weapons and armor that we'll find?l
    Yep, sure is, and a couple of other things...

New video on the way tonight! Zombie Vehicle ragdolls, new stag and doe, huge news drop about new attribute system and more! Stay tuned!

Quote Originally Posted by Gamida View Post
    thank you mr mole sir, you're a good man....not many of us left
    Well hopefully we can inspire some of the next generation to be the new good men of the future!

New video!

Moderator Note: I will be cleaning up anything not on topic to this latest video at least for the next several pages. Ask questions and give feedback on the video and keep other topics to other parts of the forum. If Madmole returns to answer questions and make additinal comments I don't want him to have to sift through a lot of off-topic posts. Thank you.

--Roland
    Last edited by Roland; 12-02-2017 at 08:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin View Post
    Hey MM-
    I've been thinking about all those cinder blocks littering the roads and how much of a pain you seem to be having navigating the roads. How about maybe giving them an invisible pyramid or ramp shape so the vehicles will bump over them instead of coming to a direct stop? or something like that..
    We'll solve it, we discussed that exact approach.

Quote Originally Posted by archergod View Post
    @madmole, you said class specific player progression will be part. I wonder if a player will learn all skills. I understand on server if a player don't learn all skill, but in single player if he doesn't all skill then it will be problem or more resource consuming etc. But really love to see all class specific stuff.

For vehicle hitting zombie, I guess minibike still cannot do that, because you know they are not that powerful? Maybe, but how awesome it will be if we get a horde on road waiting while we drive say for 10 game minute a horde spawn to get hit by player..

And does hitting count it as kill by player or like blast they are not player kills ?
    Players will get knocked down and take damage, possibly die.

Quote Originally Posted by dcsobral View Post
    Hey, how does that "shut you off" thing works? I know it might be a developer console thing, but Verdui has some "off" zombies in his videos as well, so I'm wondering...

- - - Updated - - -

My main question is: why is a 3 shotgun green?
    Bugs with new framework.

Quote Originally Posted by Odetta View Post
    Does the ragdoll effect work on players? (When hit with vehicle)
    We're hooking that up now.

Quote Originally Posted by lobison444 View Post
    Will the new bike be made by different pieces or will it be a single entity?
    Will you have a backpack?
    there will be difference in velosity?

-my little brother asked me if it is necessary that in the post apocalypse everything has rusty spikes,
    and I told him that yes obviously
    The plan might change, but the plan is to just plop it down after crafting it. So instead of a chassis you will have a full bike. This saves slots used now for "parts" and opens that data up for "mods". It's all pending the new legendary gun system, which is influx so its all an educated guess right now.