Page 7 of 78 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official A17 Developer's Diary for Developers

Quote Originally Posted by Orsey View Post
    It will only be for bosses or all?
    We're still deciding that. It might be a perk you buy, so its not even there by default. Maybe it will just be for bosses. Originally it was for them because we have these cool group quests you can do, and having a health bar for the big boss is kind of essential in our opinion. Nobody likes a stupid radiated feral that you can't even kill because he's regenerating or whatever. We're going to communicate what kind of strengths they have as well with little icons so you know their strengths and weaknesses.

Undisclosed bunker somewhere on planet earth
    We're much more quiet for A17 because a lot of the changes going in are system changes that let game features talk to each other, until the new content is created in XML for the new setup, there just isn't much to show. (That and I need to get into the UI bits on it and clean them up)

The reason some things got overhauled was because I was tasked with redesigning the item modifiers, progression/skills, buffs then making them all able to touch each other.

The overhaul process (Items):
    What happened is that in A17 we were bringing in a better loot loop in that even as a level 1 you'll be able to find a full gun instead of part of one. It won't have very good stats but will likely come with a mod or attachment of some sort. Removing a mod has a chance to break the weapon where an attachment can be put in and taken out at will. This changed the items to only really need 6 tiers. The tiny variations in value weren't fun and were pure vertical progression.

This required us to be able to still use a system similar to the old one that would allow modification of values. Like the parts mods also will modify values on the item they live in. Adding this in required me to build a new central class to process the modifier values.

The overhaul process (Ranged Weapons):
    Ranged weapons have always felt wrong to me. The crosshair spread didn't represent the cone of fire and on top of that the FOV/resolution would change accuracy. I implemented the same fire cone code that I put in for the turrets. With that the new events/effects allowed us to set up things like clip size, fire rate, accuracy kickback as well as many other things. You can basically simulate just about any weapon now via xml values.

The overhaul process (Progression):
    With the new system we wanted to be able to have chunkier skills and perks and less of the incremental gains. With that we wanted to be able to punish the player through their progression stats via illnesses and injuries to keep things interesting. While testing I noticed the skills system made tons of garbage and we don't want that so I went in and redid it to be lightweight and to not make garbage to clean up.

The overhaul process (Buffs):
    Finally the buffs, these guys have timers. Similar to progression, very similar. So I designed a system that was nearly identical to the new progression system. This keeps it lightweight, only storing the timer and a pointer to the single instance of that buff so there is only ever one instance of the heavy data needed. With the buffs we found that actions also needed fired off for particle effects so I started adding an action system. Also at the same time it was discovered that there would need to be requirements to keep buffs from firing something too often or to clean up after itself on login/logout. The need for this kind of cleanup added the need for "events" these started out as simply onBuffStart, onBuffUpdate, and onBuffEnd so we could do a few things but has now grown to include everything from gaining xp to placing a block.

The overhaul process(Overall):
    So basically the needs of each area added to the effect system I initially put together for just the items, then as each system was worked on, instead of shoe-horning it in and causing even more garbage in ram, I instead opted to redesign them from the ground up knowing exactly how they'll be used at this point in our development. I left it as open as possible so we can expand in any way we want/need with little or no code support.

So, sometimes you hit a point where you have to tear things down. Oganically growing code becomes very unwieldy the longer it exists and sometimes a rewrite is needed to encompass all the other features that came along after it.

/data_dump
    Last edited by Kinyajuu; 01-02-2018 at 06:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamida View Post
    I noticed that too....I never saw anyone post his name and he showed up...I am beginning to think he can actually come in here whenever he wants and not have to be summoned...

(Am talking about Kinyajuu...you don't have to mention guppys name...he just shows up everytime there is a new post...by anyone....anywhere.....anytime...)
    It's almost like I read the forums regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by Utakubeta View Post
    GASP!!!
    You mean he's not that young or handsome?!
    I am totally crushed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kobalt Blue View Post
    Wow. Are you married? (And, yep, I mean that in 27 different flavors.)

(Connotation 1 phrased differently - Thanks for the info/update!)

(And the Gazz ref to your avatar has no effect. Well, ok, maybe...)
    There is a running joke around TFP that I'm a brain in a vat. The profile picture is my human vessel prior to the extraction and jarring.

Yep sure am, been married for 3 years now to my wonderful wife Erin.

Quote Originally Posted by Maharin View Post
    So... what does your wife think about the brain jarring? I assume she has control of the brain jar, but does she keep anything else of yours in a jar?

EDIT: And do the jars stack?
    Nah, she keeps those in her purse. Just like every wifey does :P

EDIT: Only to 15...
    Last edited by Kinyajuu; 01-03-2018 at 08:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DaVegaNL View Post
    You're not really convincing, I'm sorry to say. Gun parts did succeed at creating stat variations. The best part created the best stat. How will this be any different with mods? Will certain mods negatively impact some stats? If so, then good! If not, then it's the same system with the original gun parts.
    Jax, DaVeg, I know the old gun part system inside and out. It was very limiting.

All you are hearing seems to be "removal of gun parts". Well think of it this way, each of those parts were basically a limited version of what mods are. The new mod system even uses the old assembly screen.

Only one actual item ID in the xml has to be used for all item mods. The mods are stored in another xml file and have an upper limit of 32,000(ish) possible mods. In the old gun system a pistol could only have a single item assigned as it's "barrel"

Now, using tagging and mods, a pistol COULD have 50 different types of barrels. All that do various things aside from editing the same set of stats. One could add damage and take away magazine size; One could have less damage but give you 1hp per shot when you hit an entity; One could give you any level in any skill for a specified time after a kill. 3 off the top of my head that are possible in the new mod system, and that's just scratching the surface..

The limited nature of gun "parts" evolved into a mod system that can now work on any item in the game, not just tools and weapons. The new system can mimic the old system exactly if that is the desire, but, it can also do much much more.
    Last edited by Kinyajuu; 01-07-2018 at 09:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wicketness View Post
    NOT GOOD ENOUGH......

I want to know the real question.....
    can it sho0t pretzels??????????
    From it's eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin View Post
    So, If I getting this right and I really want to go off the wall. I could make a "Medic Gun" that'll heal another player instead of doing damage xD .. maybe?!
    medi gun like in r6 siege? yeah, should be doable

Quote Originally Posted by Odetta View Post
    Is the rag doll effect tied to this new mod system? If so, fun times ahead...
    Yes, there is an event action that can be called from any buff, item, or entity that can make an entity ragdoll at will.

Quote Originally Posted by toores View Post
    I know, we need a blunt weapon mod that does 0 damage but is guaranteed to knock a zombie down
    Absolutely.
    Last edited by Kinyajuu; 01-07-2018 at 10:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Guppycur View Post
    Any buff, attached to any item. Right?

...yeh, sounds limiting. =)
    Entities, buffs, skills, items, mods

Adding <effect_group> and the desired events and actions and passives to any of the above. It's all one system internally and is contextual so it knows what it's running on.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacoviz View Post
    Hi, i Just wanted to ask: would the mods be visibile and different each other in the weapons or they would only be numerically present?
    Not 100% sure at this time. I'm making the system that allows gazz and others to do most things from xml now. There is an AttachPrefab action that can be tossed on an event, so it's doable. Will likely depend on the mod.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacoviz View Post
    Ok thanks, and with this mods system we would have a way to put different Camo paints on weapons?
    It's been discussed but not yet certain.

Quote Originally Posted by The Gronk View Post
    So a sledgehammer that spawns grenades upon impact would be doable? :-)
    lol, maybe? *jots down a note*

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch Quit It View Post
    I think from what I am reading that some of these buff/ mods that can be put on a weapon are going to kill the realism of the game.
    If I'm understanding this correctly you will be able to put a healing buff onto your weapon and use it to heal people? Really that is the stupidest thing ever.
    I am hoping I am wrong....please don't say ..just don't use that buff in game on your weapon.
    I am hoping that the mods for weapons are legit actual attachments. Like scopes, duckbills, extended mags and semi auto from single shot for rifle for example.
    Please don't put in unrealistic stupid mods and make it an arcade game. That would ruin the game.
    I would stop playing the game...that reminds me of COD when they added those dumbass buffs in black ops...never played a COD game again.

Please keep the realism of actual real life items.

Ouch

It was just a discussion of what modders could do with it, that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch Quit It View Post
    Great..glad to hear that..thx bud!
    What is happening with the Perlin cave system?
    Still happening or squashed?
    Not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxTeller718 View Post
    BOOM! And like that Kin makes a believer out of me. Love how this sounds and thank you for taking the time to clarify it a bit more. My head was definitely somewhere else.

This sounds VERY exciting, especially for modding potential.
    Good deal. I would never work on a system that dumbed down gameplay. That's just not my style.

Quote Originally Posted by toores View Post
    I'm guessing, with the new system, it's possible to vary melee animation/attack speed as well? Any new melee animations coming?
    Yes, and we're looking into the animation speed stuff as things come online.