Page 9 of 73 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official A17 Developer's Diary for Developers

Quote Originally Posted by beerfly View Post
    No offence , but I still wonder why you americans call a liquid - gas. Its called petrol.
    Grr
    Also, pass n' petrol would sound pretty lame.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazz View Post
    And left-handed wooden clubs.
    Oh and left handed sharp sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagzambie View Post
    Mad Troll strikes again!
    Yep, I'm on strike. No more updates.

Quote Originally Posted by spud42 View Post
    not like we have a say anyway... dumb and dumber...then console...lol
    I meant that it looks great and works great like the console menus. The old menus had paging problems, and bugs that were hard to work out, as well as were visually mismatched from all the great work that went into developing the console menus. One more sharp stick removed is a good step. You'll see that when you start to play and notice all the improved menu controls.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazz View Post
    Did you notice that the menus were flat out broken in many places before...?
    You click on an option and registers a completely different line.
    Buttons that included graphical text instead of text text so they couldn't be localised.
    It was a hodgepodge of 2 different systems.
    All kinds of hacky stuff.

If it's "more in line with console" then because it's also a clean solution instead of whatever accumulated over several years and 317 iterations.

You people are so scared of the "C" word that you're just making up stuff.
    Yeah but some people like broken outdated concepts because of nostalgia or something. F.E., Sharp sticks, broken menus. I imagine some will even complain when they see the new pathing algorithm. OMG these zombies aren't getting stuck on stuff, fix it!!! We like the ones that spin circles and can't reach the player 90% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Cop4Terminator View Post
    I am still unclear about the whole unified MP thing they gonna change in A17. There it says that you can play MP solo, does that mean that i can no longer go ahead and generate my own world like i used to, and i'll have to pretty much join a server and find myself a plot of land somewhere and build, or it's just that i'm still gonna be able to generate my own save, but i'll be connected to the interned while i play solo? Call me stupid, i don't get it. If someone is nice enough to explain, i'd me a lot of help. Thanks
    Your solo game can now be played as a multiplayer game if you choose, and vise versa. There is only one game now, whether it is solo or MP is up to your connection settings not a game mode. Because before you could start a single player game by accident and then want your friends to play on your world but couldn't. It still pauses too if nobody is connected, like SP used to.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfbain5 View Post
    I can understand the jeep taking down small trees, but the big ones? rocks, boulders, bricks and trash were all destroyed. most I can understand. not so much the boulder tho. does this mean you can ram your jeep into the rock formations and tear them down too? do you get to dismount and collect wood or debris from what was destroyed?
    You can drive off a cliff and nose dive all the way to bedrock! Just kidding zero balancing work has been done yet, we're just glad sharp sticks aren't stopping the jeep in its tracks now.

Quote Originally Posted by Guppycur View Post
    Clearly abandonware...

(Nice job guys!)
    Alpha 17 is beta, and by all rights SHOULD have been a sequel there is so much work being done.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxTeller718 View Post
    LOVED everything I saw in the video EXCEPT and I will only criticize once because I feel i want to have my opinion out there. Vehicles should in no way be able to survive an explosion like the barrel and the cars. There SHOULD be a risk of hitting a parked car. It's silly it didn't take any substantial damage if not blow up completely. Hopefully that's just early work and it will be corrected.

Gyrocopter may be a BIT OP. People will just ride horde nights out in one. Hopefully they are end game content.

LOVE we don't have to disassemble a bike in water.

So the eyeball is the new sneak mechanic. Nice. 100 percent attention to yourself if you walk, 50 percent standing still. 0 percent crouched I assume. I like it. PLEASE though make the bars look less NES days. Give em some of that special Joel art we know can be mind blowing

- - - Updated - - -

I have to agree. There should be some user error involved here. Its like hitting the parked car and just rolling away from the explosion unscathed. How OP are these things going to be? Hopefully its adjustable in the xmls.
    As I said in my previous post, zero balance is done. Us devs can't work out the smashing of blocks if our jeep breaks every 30s. The whole repair/damage thing needs a design and pass yet.

Check out improved combat and terrain!

https://youtu.be/5P2y9QaYBbc

Quote Originally Posted by emarat View Post
    Excited to see those improvements for myself. Thanks for updating us Madmole.
    Btw for some reason the video made your pc screen wuite small. Essentially the video was like a third of the screen on the top left and the rest was pitch black.
    Oh really? I thought that was my stupid player being full screen. Sorry about that I'll fix it for the next video.

Fun Pimps Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Gmad03 View Post
    So is there any ai changes in a17 I hope so. That in my opinion is what should have been the main focus. Bc that really hurt the game in a16 imo.
    Maybe. Something on my list to look at.

Fun Pimps Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxTeller718 View Post
    Care to elaborate? I assumed the Team knew how awful the Ai is and were working on a fix. Maybe they aren't aware? Understandable as everyone has been focusing their discussion efforts on other things.

The AI is terrible. The pathing alone can be exploited and circumvented so easily that it takes away the magic and excitement of seeing new art or models or POIs. When you can stand off in the distance an effortlessly watch a zombie jog three laps around a small tree there's an issue, and its close to being a game breaking one at this point.
    We know AI has problems. I said maybe, because it has been passed to me to improve for A17, but I make no assumptions on how much better I can make it before A17 ships. Hopefully I will fix all the obvious issues.

Fun Pimps Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Menace312 View Post
    Poor faatal... Did he really get the job of improving the zombie AI single handed?

If so, what are the chances it will be fixed for A17?
    Reading this forum, you definitely notice that this is not he's only job...

Oh well, its still gonna be fun with the new vehicles, graphics improments and quests!
    I'm not worried. I've done AI before and this stuff is fun.