View Poll Results: Alpha 17

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • A17 will be released when the bugs are fixed

    0 0%
  • 0 0%
  • Feature Freeze -> Hitler Video ->

    0 0%
  • Madmole gameplay -> Spider Meme ->

    0 0%
  • A17-E Release Candidate ->

    0 0%
  • Stream Event -> A17-E Released

    0 0%
  • -------------------------------------------------------

    0 0%
  • DEV DIARY 1ST PAGE UPDATED: Oct 15

    0 0%
  • -------------------------------------------------------

    0 0%
Page 689 of 2397 FirstFirst ... 18958963967968768868969069169973978911891689 ... LastLast
Results 10,321 to 10,335 of 35951

Thread: Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

  1. #10321
    Fun Pimps Staff
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Indiana, USA
    Posts
    988
    Rep Power
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by ParaSyt View Post
    Awesome! I see why your name is faatal, because you're kiilling it! Nice job.
    Thx.

  2. #10322
    Leader Tin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    In between
    Posts
    5,296
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazz View Post
    A lot of the "A17 stuff" will get used on bandits/NPC.
    Like being able to adjust the firing accuracy of an entity when it picks up a generic gun.
    This plus work on sounds and animations to make things more flexible and accurate while allowing for variety in NPC skills and such.

    This is all good stuff but going BANDITS NAO would be putting the cart before the horse.
    In general that works for wheelbarrows so I guess it's not totally unreasonable? But that's not what I meant.
    pft Carts are overrated.. Rickshaw for the win! xD
    Good stuff! keep it coming!!

  3. #10323
    Hunter
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    112
    Rep Power
    0
    With the main menu redesign and some tweaking of the game options(SP/MP), can i assume Dead is dead mode (or some version of permadeath) is coming for A17?

  4. #10324
    Colony Founder Maharin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,725
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulf View Post
    With the main menu redesign and some tweaking of the game options(SP/MP), can i assume Dead is dead mode (or some version of permadeath) is coming for A17?
    That would be nice. Doing it manually works but is cumbersome.

  5. #10325
    Tracker DeadMole's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    216
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Maharin View Post
    His actual words were "nearly beta but not actually beta" and "it's getting very close". He then followed that up with the fact they're changing nearly everything and there is "so much more to come" (right at the end). So it's not like they're going to go directly to beta without some additional alpha testing and features. It may not be a make you laugh joke but it is certain to me that he didn't say that expecting people to interpret it literally. There may not be an A19 but there will be an A18 based on everything I've heard and seen.
    Point is: it's almost beta and that's not a joke. I mean, jokes are supposed to be funny eh? And that really ain't. "Some additional alpha testing and features" you say? Looks to me like the game still needs a ton of testing, and is missing a lot of features.

    Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    From the original kickstarter they have always maintained that some features would come after gold release. The exact features saved until after release will be shuffled from what was mentioned in the kickstarter but there is no need for a couple more alphas. They could very easily go to Beta after alpha 17 and polish everything up to release standards and then add any missing features as DLCs afterward. They plan to continue fully supporting this game at least 2 years after release.
    "Some features" you say. The main quest/storyline is nowhere near implemented in the game yet. Or is that going to be a DLC? In fact, the game still looks early in developement and nowhere near beta phase.

  6. #10326
    Colony Founder Maharin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,725
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadMole View Post
    Point is: it's almost beta and that's not a joke. I mean, jokes are supposed to be funny eh? And that really ain't. "Some additional alpha testing and features" you say? Looks to me like the game still needs a ton of testing, and is missing a lot of features.


    "Some features" you say. The main quest/storyline is nowhere near implemented in the game yet. Or is that going to be a DLC? In fact, the game still looks early in developement and nowhere near beta phase.
    Maybe you haven't been paying close attention to how they've done things in the past? A17 introduces a whole mess of changes to the underlying structure of the game. These changes will allow them to add bandits, have a MUCH improved questing system, allow for a major overhaul of zombie and other NPC AI systems, among other things. Sure, not everything will make it into A17 but the foundation will be laid and they can begin ramping up development of everything sitting on that foundation.

    I think your pessimism is unfounded.

  7. #10327
    Hunter ParaSyt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    125
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazz View Post
    A lot of the "A17 stuff" will get used on bandits/NPC.
    Like being able to adjust the firing accuracy of an entity when it picks up a generic gun.
    This plus work on sounds and animations to make things more flexible and accurate while allowing for variety in NPC skills and such.

    This is all good stuff but going BANDITS NAO would be putting the cart before the horse.
    In general that works for wheelbarrows so I guess it's not totally unreasonable? But that's not what I meant.
    You should just point people towards a mod that has bandits so they can understand how bad it is without all the work that you guys are doing on them. I wondered the same thing then when I played in a modded game that had the bandits and it became a paranoid 7 Minutes to Die. That bandit super aim will take you out quick. Then when the bandits or NPCs are shooting at zombies they look drunk. I'm okay with you showing or talking about the bandits and NPCs when the AI, buffs, and animation are sorted out.

  8. #10328
    Super Moderator Roland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    On a Zipline
    Posts
    12,434
    Rep Power
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadMole View Post
    Point is: it's almost beta and that's not a joke. I mean, jokes are supposed to be funny eh? And that really ain't. "Some additional alpha testing and features" you say? Looks to me like the game still needs a ton of testing, and is missing a lot of features.
    It is almost beta in the grand scheme of things. Alpha 17 is definitely near the end of the alpha phase. No joke. Most features listed in the kickstarter goals are in the game and the ones that are not could be added after final release. Are all of those features at a finished state? No. That is exactly what beta phase is for.


    "Some features" you say.
    Yes I did. You even quoted me. Make a list of features promised in the kickstarter that are not going to be in the game by time Alpha 17 comes out and I will tell you that it definitely represents "some".

    The main quest/storyline is nowhere near implemented in the game yet. Or is that going to be a DLC? In fact, the game still looks early in developement and nowhere near beta phase.
    What's wrong with implementing the story/ quest post launch? This game has always been more of a sandbox game where you make your own stories. A main story line could easily be implemented later.

  9. #10329
    Tracker DeadMole's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    216
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Maharin View Post
    Maybe you haven't been paying close attention to how they've done things in the past? A17 introduces a whole mess of changes to the underlying structure of the game. These changes will allow them to add bandits, have a MUCH improved questing system, allow for a major overhaul of zombie and other NPC AI systems, among other things. Sure, not everything will make it into A17 but the foundation will be laid and they can begin ramping up development of everything sitting on that foundation.

    I think your pessimism is unfounded.
    That would explain why there hasn't been many major changes since a few alphas now if all the basics are set. If they do add all of those major features from that point on, then that might take it much closer to beta indeed.

    I like to say that I'm not pessimistic, but realistic since I certainly think my concerns are founded. Many other early access games are dragging on since forever and doesn't seem anywhere near finished either.

    Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    What's wrong with implementing the story/ quest post launch? This game has always been more of a sandbox game where you make your own stories. A main story line could easily be implemented later.
    In other words: the main quest is not a main feature of the game. It's as if Fallout came out without the quests already in the game. I mean, come on now.
    Last edited by DeadMole; 02-14-2018 at 06:22 PM.

  10. #10330
    Inventor
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    780
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadMole View Post
    In other words: the main quest is not a main feature of the game. It's as if Fallout came out without the quests already in the game. I mean, come on now.
    Exactly. I couldnt care at all about the story in this game.

  11. #10331
    Super Moderator Roland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    On a Zipline
    Posts
    12,434
    Rep Power
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowDog1942 View Post
    Exactly. I couldnt care at all about the story in this game.
    Not exactly. The story IS a main feature of the game that may or may not be released before or after release. There is nothing in the definition of "main feature" that requires it to be put into the game before it is released. Just because someone wants a main feature to be put in before other main features doesn't reduce its main featureness if it comes later in the order.

  12. #10332
    Inventor Gnomaana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    813
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadMole View Post
    That would explain why there hasn't been many major changes since a few alphas now if all the basics are set. If they do add all of those major features from that point on, then that might take it much closer to beta indeed.

    I like to say that I'm not pessimistic, but realistic since I certainly think my concerns are founded. Many other early access games are dragging on since forever and doesn't seem anywhere near finished either.



    In other words: the main quest is not a main feature of the game. It's as if Fallout came out without the quests already in the game. I mean, come on now.
    I'll probably look at the story for about 10 minutes one time and then launch a Random map and play. If they never put a single story element in, I wouldn't be bothered in the least. The problem with story lines in games is that they end. Then what? This is the best sandbox game I've played.

  13. #10333
    Guppycurian Forum Whore Guppycur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Enemy for life
    Posts
    18,342
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadMole View Post
    In all seriousness, it almost does sound like it at this point. Sounds like it's been in early access for so long, they are just trying to wrap things up as soon as they can now.



    How can it be a beta when there's still so many important features missing?



    And the new AI, Behemoth, quests, storyline and a plethora of other features that were mentioned and are still missing.



    Eh, no. It wasn't a joke. MM said A17 is nearly beta at the end of this video. 7 Days Alpha 17 off road vehicles

    He also meant they changed so many things it's almost like a sequel, while in fact the game didn't change all that much ever since I started playing A14.
    In all seriousness, the features have been coming in as promised. MM was definitely joking about it being BETA, and the new AI, Quests and "plethora of other features" just haven't been revealed yet. They may come in a17, they may come in a18, but they're coming. I know this for a fact. =)

    It'll be alright, I promise. You just have to remember that you entered in on this early, whereas games that do NOT allow early access have already been in the works for years before you find out they even exist, which is why it seems like the big box brands are faster. When they're not, especially when you consider the team size.

    Find me another game that is from a brand new first time developer that's coming along at a faster rate, and I'll show you a game that doesn't have the feature set this one does.

    Yeh yeh, fanboi, I know, but if you know anything about my history here, I'm not exactly a strong supporter in 80% of the decisions the pimps make. But on this I am resolute.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by SnowDog1942 View Post
    The refusal to talk about bandits is my only concern. I just pray they didnt go the way of the behometh.
    They're not in yet, that is all. But for all we know, everdeen could be bandits.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by DeadMole View Post
    He said in the video it's going to be nearly beta, so unless they add a ton of features in the next couple of alphas (which is quite possible) then the game won't nearly be finished.

    Well sure, if you do compare what it is now to alpha 1 (I started playing on alpha 14, but watched videos of all previous versions) it changed a lot, but it didn't change all that much since quite a few versions.
    There's really not a whole lot of other features that are slated to come in; the train is definitely getting closer to beta-town. Bandits, tameable animals, and that's pretty much it.

  14. #10334
    Reconstructionist Bubo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Olympus
    Posts
    639
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by KingSlayerGM View Post
    Hey guys, I just notice this old post from MadMole. So better AI for zombies is coming in A17, right?
    Why is it not listed in the first post Roland?

    Quote Originally Posted by madmole View Post
    Yeah but some people like broken outdated concepts because of nostalgia or something. F.E., Sharp sticks, broken menus. I imagine some will even complain when they see the new pathing algorithm. OMG these zombies aren't getting stuck on stuff, fix it!!! We like the ones that spin circles and can't reach the player 90% of the time.

  15. #10335
    Super Moderator Roland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    On a Zipline
    Posts
    12,434
    Rep Power
    2
    Smooth random terrain was originally listed as a feature to come after release. By Deadmole's logic that would mean that the entire random gen world that the majority of the fans play in is not considered a main feature because it was planned at the beginning to be implemented after the game was released. But they decided to change things and move the the smooth random terrain up in priority (glad they did). If they now decide to put the main story into the priority slot that random gen used to occupy that doesn't change its importance.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •