View Poll Results: Alpha 17 Release Date: Not in February

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's Done When It's Done

0 0%
  • See First Post for Updated News

0 0%
  • News for console versions is only announced by Clare in the console news forum.

0 0%
  • FIRST POST UPDATED: Feb 21

0 0%
Page 698 of 765 FirstFirst ... 198598648688696697698699700708748 ... LastLast
Results 10,456 to 10,470 of 11471

Thread: Developer Diary: Alpha 17!!!

Guppycurian Forum Whore Guppycur's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadMole View Post
    In all seriousness, it almost does sound like it at this point. Sounds like it's been in early access for so long, they are just trying to wrap things up as soon as they can now.

How can it be a beta when there's still so many important features missing?

And the new AI, Behemoth, quests, storyline and a plethora of other features that were mentioned and are still missing.

Eh, no. It wasn't a joke. MM said A17 is nearly beta at the end of this video. 7 Days Alpha 17 off road vehicles

He also meant they changed so many things it's almost like a sequel, while in fact the game didn't change all that much ever since I started playing A14.
    In all seriousness, the features have been coming in as promised. MM was definitely joking about it being BETA, and the new AI, Quests and "plethora of other features" just haven't been revealed yet. They may come in a17, they may come in a18, but they're coming. I know this for a fact. =)

It'll be alright, I promise. You just have to remember that you entered in on this early, whereas games that do NOT allow early access have already been in the works for years before you find out they even exist, which is why it seems like the big box brands are faster. When they're not, especially when you consider the team size.

Find me another game that is from a brand new first time developer that's coming along at a faster rate, and I'll show you a game that doesn't have the feature set this one does.

Yeh yeh, fanboi, I know, but if you know anything about my history here, I'm not exactly a strong supporter in 80% of the decisions the pimps make. But on this I am resolute.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SnowDog1942 View Post
    The refusal to talk about bandits is my only concern. I just pray they didnt go the way of the behometh.
    They're not in yet, that is all. But for all we know, everdeen could be bandits.

- - - Updated - - -

He said in the video it's going to be nearly beta, so unless they add a ton of features in the next couple of alphas (which is quite possible) then the game won't nearly be finished.

Well sure, if you do compare what it is now to alpha 1 (I started playing on alpha 14, but watched videos of all previous versions) it changed a lot, but it didn't change all that much since quite a few versions.
    There's really not a whole lot of other features that are slated to come in; the train is definitely getting closer to beta-town. Bandits, tameable animals, and that's pretty much it.

Quote Originally Posted by KingSlayerGM View Post
    Hey guys, I just notice this old post from MadMole. So better AI for zombies is coming in A17, right?
    Why is it not listed in the first post Roland?

Quote Originally Posted by madmole View Post
    Yeah but some people like broken outdated concepts because of nostalgia or something. F.E., Sharp sticks, broken menus. I imagine some will even complain when they see the new pathing algorithm. OMG these zombies aren't getting stuck on stuff, fix it!!! We like the ones that spin circles and can't reach the player 90% of the time.

Smooth random terrain was originally listed as a feature to come after release. By Deadmole's logic that would mean that the entire random gen world that the majority of the fans play in is not considered a main feature because it was planned at the beginning to be implemented after the game was released. But they decided to change things and move the the smooth random terrain up in priority (glad they did). If they now decide to put the main story into the priority slot that random gen used to occupy that doesn't change its importance.

Guppycurian Forum Whore Guppycur's Avatar
    Point is: it's almost beta and that's not a joke. I mean, jokes are supposed to be funny eh? And that really ain't. "Some additional alpha testing and features" you say? Looks to me like the game still needs a ton of testing, and is missing a lot of features.
    I laughed.

"Some features" you say. The main quest/storyline is nowhere near implemented in the game yet. Or is that going to be a DLC? In fact, the game still looks early in developement and nowhere near beta phase.
    Yeh, they've said numerous times quests/dialogs/buffs were getting the much needed love in a17.

- - - Updated - - -

\Many other early access games are dragging on since forever and doesn't seem anywhere near finished either.
    That may be, but it has zero to do with 7daystodie.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomaana View Post
    I'll probably look at the story for about 10 minutes one time and then launch a Random map and play. If they never put a single story element in, I wouldn't be bothered in the least. The problem with story lines in games is that they end. Then what? This is the best sandbox game I've played.
    And this, too. I'm not a single player type of person so I don't care why I woke up naked with a backpack full of oddities. Also, you can /clearly/ see the development of the storyline if you read the newspaper articles, look at the paintings, read the flag names, etc.

The world went to sh*t, and there are 4 factions. The duke and his gang of evil doers, White Settlement and their gang of neutral traders, the zombies, and you. There's your story.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowDog1942 View Post
    Exactly. I couldnt care at all about the story in this game.
    In all honesty, I rarely ever finish the main quest in those games either, but it HAS to be in the final game for those who want to do it. I mean, it's called the main quest for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    The story IS a main feature of the game that may or may not be released before or after release.
    Sure, because releasing the game without the most important feature in it does make sense.

My subscribers asks:

- Will the character be able to repel zombies with his hands or kick the zombies with his feet?

- Will the image of the hands change depending on what is worn on the character?

- Will there be any changes in the customization of the character's appearance in 17 Alpha?

Thanks.

There is also a question about changing weapons when modifying.

For example, I have a hunting rifle or AK47. When I take aim, I mean the usual sight.

If I install an optical sight on this gun (AK47), can I see the optical sight when I aim?

Nomad
    In all honesty, I rarely ever finish the main quest in those games either, but it HAS to be in the final game for those who want to do it. I mean, it's called the main quest for a reason.

Sure, because releasing the game without the most important feature in it does make sense.
    Who says the story is the most important feature? The sandbox and moddable nature of this game is what is going to keep it going for years. The story will be old hat 2 weeks after release.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomaana View Post
    The problem with story lines in games is that they end. Then what?
    Then you do side quests or whatever else. 7DTD is supposed to be a mix between Minecraft and Fallout according to MM and there's just no way a Fallout or Elder Scrolls game would be released without a full storyline in it.

He said in the video it's going to be nearly beta, so unless they add a ton of features in the next couple of alphas (which is quite possible) then the game won't nearly be finished.

Well sure, if you do compare what it is now to alpha 1 (I started playing on alpha 14, but watched videos of all previous versions) it changed a lot, but it didn't change all that much since quite a few versions.
    Im curious. After vehicles and bandits, what features in their Kickstarter are missing? Certainly not TONS. What you WANT and what we get are two different things.

I'm having a nice laugh at all the people saying A17 is not beta and that MM was joking. His post LITERALLY said it is beta, with no hint of a joke or sarcasm. Maybe people just don't want to believe we are nearing the end?

Unless he clarifies his statement, i would say him saying "A17 is beta" means..... A17 is beta.

Isn't that what half you guys have been demanding? A released gold game? Well phase 2 on those guys getting it.

Important to remember Beta does not mean DONE. It means feature locked. No one said they cant ADD additional things and tweak existing things some more in Beta.

- - - Updated - - -

Then you do side quests or whatever else. 7DTD is supposed to be a mix between Minecraft and Fallout according to MM and there's just no way a Fallout or Elder Scrolls game would be released without a full storyline in it.
    No but you JUST said Minecraft. No story in Minecraft. So you nuked your own theory. And they ARE adding additional quests. NO ONE promised you cut scenes and pre recorded cinematic dialogue with a full story (beginning middle end) just a more fleshed out story.

Nomad
    ... 7DTD is supposed to be a mix between Minecraft and Fallout according to MM ....
    Hell, its that now. It's funny that in your mind to be a mix of two things it has to have EVERYTHING from both. That's not how mixing works. You mix sugar and water and the result is neither as sweet as pure sugar or as tasteless as pure water. It is a blend of the two extremes. That's how I see this game already.

Quote Originally Posted by Guppycur View Post
    MM was definitely joking about it being BETA,
    I honestly do not think he was. There are TWO instances of him alluding to it or even saying it. Maybe HE does not realize that it might be impossible to call it beta just yet, but from his perspective I dont think HE thinks he is joking. He may be wrong yes, but joking? Its possible someone told him after he posted that beta is a long reach for A17 but that post was definitely NOT a joke.

Yup

"Minecraft, Fallout, and Walking Dead had a baby" was the original elevator pitch

Fallout: RPG-like character progression
    Walking Dead: Zombie threat
    Minecraft: Story

Quote Originally Posted by Crater Creator View Post
    If we consider the whole package of sensory input (and the zombies could be sensing through smell just as well as through sight), the player is on as good or better than equal footing with the zombies. Blood Moon zombies sense the player through walls, but the player senses those zombies through walls, too, on account of all the noise they make. Itís not like theyíre doing anything to conceal their presence. Add the fact that the player can see through glass (and shoot, and build, and craft...) and I donít think the playerís getting the short end of the stick here.
    I'm not saying it's too hard for a player. Not by a mile.
    I'm just think, fixing all the horde night loopholes might "break" the game for some players if you can't tun of GPS zombies.

Let me explain what i mean.
    I like having a base above ground, tower with a good view and so on, so i don't go underground. Mostly though i build a base on stilts. The reason for that is to avoid fixing my base every week. It takes a lot of time and i don't enjoy the repetitiveness of it at all. I like the survival, exploration, character leveling, item hunting, looting aspects much more and i hoping all this will become complex and challenging enough to keep me busy.

I would build on ground level if it was up to my actions whether i got targeted by a horde or not. Like if i was careless, i deserve the "punishment", but if i'm careful i can avoid it. This however is impossible at the moment. Once a week this game turns into unavoidable tower defence mode. I wish this would be a separate setting (horde on every x'th day) to have fun with friends in co-op but in SP i don't enjoy it much.

I would prefer if you could hide on blood mood. You'd have to not emit smell, not make noise, turn off all equipment, not be seen and so on, but you could actually be silent undetected ninja. OR leave your forge running (with the pillar of smoke) and turn your flood lights on to get the full attention of the horde. This would be win-win. Actually it would be more intuitive for new players as well. If ♥♥♥♥ gets scary, hide!

Nomad
    Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    Yup

"Minecraft, Fallout, and Walking Dead had a baby" was the original elevator pitch

Fallout: RPG-like character progression
    Walking Dead: Zombie threat
    Minecraft: Story

That type of comment is why me, and half the forum, has a man crush on you Roland.

Edit: Or is it just me and I've said too much?
    Last edited by Gnomaana; 1 Week Ago at 07:11 PM.