View Poll Results: Alpha 17

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • A17 will be released when the bugs are fixed

    0 0%
  • 0 0%
  • Feature Freeze -> Hitler Video ->

    0 0%
  • Madmole gameplay -> Spider Meme ->

    0 0%
  • A17-E Release Candidate ->

    0 0%
  • Stream Event -> A17-E Released

    0 0%
  • -------------------------------------------------------

    0 0%
  • DEV DIARY 1ST PAGE UPDATED: Oct 15

    0 0%
  • -------------------------------------------------------

    0 0%
Page 690 of 2400 FirstFirst ... 19059064068068868969069169270074079011901690 ... LastLast
Results 10,336 to 10,350 of 35986

Thread: Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

  1. #10336
    Guppycurian Forum Whore Guppycur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Enemy for life
    Posts
    18,342
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadMole View Post
    Point is: it's almost beta and that's not a joke. I mean, jokes are supposed to be funny eh? And that really ain't. "Some additional alpha testing and features" you say? Looks to me like the game still needs a ton of testing, and is missing a lot of features.
    I laughed.

    "Some features" you say. The main quest/storyline is nowhere near implemented in the game yet. Or is that going to be a DLC? In fact, the game still looks early in developement and nowhere near beta phase.
    Yeh, they've said numerous times quests/dialogs/buffs were getting the much needed love in a17.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by DeadMole View Post
    \Many other early access games are dragging on since forever and doesn't seem anywhere near finished either.
    That may be, but it has zero to do with 7daystodie.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Gnomaana View Post
    I'll probably look at the story for about 10 minutes one time and then launch a Random map and play. If they never put a single story element in, I wouldn't be bothered in the least. The problem with story lines in games is that they end. Then what? This is the best sandbox game I've played.
    And this, too. I'm not a single player type of person so I don't care why I woke up naked with a backpack full of oddities. Also, you can /clearly/ see the development of the storyline if you read the newspaper articles, look at the paintings, read the flag names, etc.

    The world went to sh*t, and there are 4 factions. The duke and his gang of evil doers, White Settlement and their gang of neutral traders, the zombies, and you. There's your story.

  2. #10337
    Tracker DeadMole's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    216
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowDog1942 View Post
    Exactly. I couldnt care at all about the story in this game.
    In all honesty, I rarely ever finish the main quest in those games either, but it HAS to be in the final game for those who want to do it. I mean, it's called the main quest for a reason.

    Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    The story IS a main feature of the game that may or may not be released before or after release.
    Sure, because releasing the game without the most important feature in it does make sense.

  3. #10338
    Zombie Hunter Orsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Ukraine
    Posts
    435
    Rep Power
    1
    My subscribers asks:

    - Will the character be able to repel zombies with his hands or kick the zombies with his feet?

    - Will the image of the hands change depending on what is worn on the character?

    - Will there be any changes in the customization of the character's appearance in 17 Alpha?

    Thanks.

  4. #10339
    Zombie Hunter Orsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Ukraine
    Posts
    435
    Rep Power
    1
    There is also a question about changing weapons when modifying.

    For example, I have a hunting rifle or AK47. When I take aim, I mean the usual sight.

    If I install an optical sight on this gun (AK47), can I see the optical sight when I aim?

  5. #10340
    Inventor Gnomaana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    813
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadMole View Post
    In all honesty, I rarely ever finish the main quest in those games either, but it HAS to be in the final game for those who want to do it. I mean, it's called the main quest for a reason.



    Sure, because releasing the game without the most important feature in it does make sense.
    Who says the story is the most important feature? The sandbox and moddable nature of this game is what is going to keep it going for years. The story will be old hat 2 weeks after release.

  6. #10341
    Tracker DeadMole's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    216
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnomaana View Post
    The problem with story lines in games is that they end. Then what?
    Then you do side quests or whatever else. 7DTD is supposed to be a mix between Minecraft and Fallout according to MM and there's just no way a Fallout or Elder Scrolls game would be released without a full storyline in it.

  7. #10342
    Colony Founder JaxTeller718's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Ravenhearst
    Posts
    3,684
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadMole View Post
    He said in the video it's going to be nearly beta, so unless they add a ton of features in the next couple of alphas (which is quite possible) then the game won't nearly be finished.

    Well sure, if you do compare what it is now to alpha 1 (I started playing on alpha 14, but watched videos of all previous versions) it changed a lot, but it didn't change all that much since quite a few versions.
    Im curious. After vehicles and bandits, what features in their Kickstarter are missing? Certainly not TONS. What you WANT and what we get are two different things.

    I'm having a nice laugh at all the people saying A17 is not beta and that MM was joking. His post LITERALLY said it is beta, with no hint of a joke or sarcasm. Maybe people just don't want to believe we are nearing the end?

    Unless he clarifies his statement, i would say him saying "A17 is beta" means..... A17 is beta.

    Isn't that what half you guys have been demanding? A released gold game? Well phase 2 on those guys getting it.

    Important to remember Beta does not mean DONE. It means feature locked. No one said they cant ADD additional things and tweak existing things some more in Beta.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by DeadMole View Post
    Then you do side quests or whatever else. 7DTD is supposed to be a mix between Minecraft and Fallout according to MM and there's just no way a Fallout or Elder Scrolls game would be released without a full storyline in it.
    No but you JUST said Minecraft. No story in Minecraft. So you nuked your own theory. And they ARE adding additional quests. NO ONE promised you cut scenes and pre recorded cinematic dialogue with a full story (beginning middle end) just a more fleshed out story.

  8. #10343
    Inventor Gnomaana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    813
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadMole View Post
    ... 7DTD is supposed to be a mix between Minecraft and Fallout according to MM ....
    Hell, its that now. It's funny that in your mind to be a mix of two things it has to have EVERYTHING from both. That's not how mixing works. You mix sugar and water and the result is neither as sweet as pure sugar or as tasteless as pure water. It is a blend of the two extremes. That's how I see this game already.

  9. #10344
    Colony Founder JaxTeller718's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Ravenhearst
    Posts
    3,684
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Guppycur View Post
    MM was definitely joking about it being BETA,
    I honestly do not think he was. There are TWO instances of him alluding to it or even saying it. Maybe HE does not realize that it might be impossible to call it beta just yet, but from his perspective I dont think HE thinks he is joking. He may be wrong yes, but joking? Its possible someone told him after he posted that beta is a long reach for A17 but that post was definitely NOT a joke.

  10. #10345
    Super Moderator Roland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    On a Zipline
    Posts
    12,437
    Rep Power
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadMole View Post
    Then you do side quests or whatever else. 7DTD is supposed to be a mix between Minecraft and Fallout according to MM and there's just no way a Fallout or Elder Scrolls game would be released without a full storyline in it.
    Yup

    "Minecraft, Fallout, and Walking Dead had a baby" was the original elevator pitch

    Fallout: RPG-like character progression
    Walking Dead: Zombie threat
    Minecraft: Story


  11. #10346
    Inventor toores's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Estonia
    Posts
    964
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Crater Creator View Post
    If we consider the whole package of sensory input (and the zombies could be sensing through smell just as well as through sight), the player is on as good or better than equal footing with the zombies. Blood Moon zombies sense the player through walls, but the player senses those zombies through walls, too, on account of all the noise they make. Itís not like theyíre doing anything to conceal their presence. Add the fact that the player can see through glass (and shoot, and build, and craft...) and I donít think the playerís getting the short end of the stick here.
    I'm not saying it's too hard for a player. Not by a mile.
    I'm just think, fixing all the horde night loopholes might "break" the game for some players if you can't tun of GPS zombies.

    Let me explain what i mean.
    I like having a base above ground, tower with a good view and so on, so i don't go underground. Mostly though i build a base on stilts. The reason for that is to avoid fixing my base every week. It takes a lot of time and i don't enjoy the repetitiveness of it at all. I like the survival, exploration, character leveling, item hunting, looting aspects much more and i hoping all this will become complex and challenging enough to keep me busy.

    I would build on ground level if it was up to my actions whether i got targeted by a horde or not. Like if i was careless, i deserve the "punishment", but if i'm careful i can avoid it. This however is impossible at the moment. Once a week this game turns into unavoidable tower defence mode. I wish this would be a separate setting (horde on every x'th day) to have fun with friends in co-op but in SP i don't enjoy it much.

    I would prefer if you could hide on blood mood. You'd have to not emit smell, not make noise, turn off all equipment, not be seen and so on, but you could actually be silent undetected ninja. OR leave your forge running (with the pillar of smoke) and turn your flood lights on to get the full attention of the horde. This would be win-win. Actually it would be more intuitive for new players as well. If ♥♥♥♥ gets scary, hide!

  12. #10347
    Inventor Gnomaana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    813
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    Yup

    "Minecraft, Fallout, and Walking Dead had a baby" was the original elevator pitch

    Fallout: RPG-like character progression
    Walking Dead: Zombie threat
    Minecraft: Story

    That type of comment is why me, and half the forum, has a man crush on you Roland.

    Edit: Or is it just me and I've said too much?
    Last edited by Gnomaana; 02-14-2018 at 07:11 PM.

  13. #10348
    Leader Aldranon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Somewhere in a universe near you.
    Posts
    5,428
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    From the original kickstarter they have always maintained that some features would come after gold release. The exact features saved until after release will be shuffled from what was mentioned in the kickstarter but there is no need for a couple more alphas. They could very easily go to Beta after alpha 17 and polish everything up to release standards and then add any missing features as DLCs afterward. They plan to continue fully supporting this game at least 2 years after release.
    I'm all for DLC's as they work for many small gaming companies to keep all their people being paid. I will buy any DLC that adds something more than skins.

    In order of my preference:
    -Plots and campaigns
    -Bigger maps (World map! )
    -Airship!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Those '!' are my army of Zombie Bears ready to board my fleet of airships and CONQUER THE WORLD!!)
    -POI's
    -Quests
    -Gear, vehicals

  14. #10349
    Colony Founder Maharin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,725
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadMole View Post
    Sure, because releasing the game without the most important feature in it does make sense.
    I would sincerely bet that most people that play this game do not play Navezgane frequently (maybe once per alpha release for most of us), which is where the story mode will take place. I think most people won't play story mode more than a few times through and then go back to playing random gen. And your view of it being "the most important feature" is obviously your opinion and one that I don't think is shared by a significant portion of the player base. Will it be welcomed by most? Sure! Will there be weeping and gnashing of teeth if it doesn't happen? Not bloody likely, if I must be British for a moment.

    The main story arc doesn't have to be a major feature of 7DTD, it really doesn't. It certainly isn't why people have purchased it to this point considering it isn't even in the game yet. TFP isn't going to try to charge us for features they've said would be in the game that get implemented after the main release. In the grand scheme of things what is a release date anyway besides some arbitrary point in time? They will continue to add to this game for years to come and long before they stop doing that there will be 100's and perhaps 1000's of people adding to the game via mods. This game will likely never be finished so long as there are computers and operating systems capable of running it.

    Just sayin'.

  15. #10350
    Tracker DeadMole's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    216
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Guppycur View Post
    You just have to remember that you entered in on this early, whereas games that do NOT allow early access have already been in the works for years before you find out they even exist, which is why it seems like the big box brands are faster. When they're not, especially when you consider the team size.
    I'm well aware of all that and I'm not surprised that the game does seem early in development still. But I remember MM posting something like who cares if it takes until 2030 to be finished and I was glad to read that, because A16 looks nowhere near finished.

    Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    Smooth random terrain was originally listed as a feature to come after release. By Deadmole's logic that would mean that the entire random gen world that the majority of the fans play in is not considered a main feature because it was planned at the beginning to be implemented after the game was released. But they decided to change things and move the the smooth random terrain up in priority (glad they did). If they now decide to put the main story into the priority slot that random gen used to occupy that doesn't change its importance.
    You are seriously comparing a minor graphical improvement that was rightfully not going to be bothered with until after release with the main storyline of the game?

    Quote Originally Posted by Guppycur View Post
    I laughed.

    Yeh, they've said numerous times quests/dialogs/buffs were getting the much needed love in a17.

    That may be, but it has zero to do with 7daystodie.
    Glad to have given you a good laugh then.

    I only came back to the forums recently so I missed that, but it's good to know then, because they are in dire need of some good loving.

    Sure, the fact most early access survival games follow the same patern doesn't have anything to do with this one.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gnomaana View Post
    Who says the story is the most important feature?
    Any game developer in their right mind? Ask Bethesda if they would ever release the next TES game without the main storyline in it just for fun.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •