• █████████████████████████████████

0 0%
  • It's Done When Its HP Bar Runs Out

0 0%
  • █████████████████████████████████

0 0%
  • When the xp bar fills, the HP bar will take a hit

0 0%
  • News for console versions is only announced by Clare in the console news forum.

0 0%
  • FIRST POST UPDATED: April 24

0 0%
  • SECOND POST UPDATED: April 24

0 0%
Page 464 of 1077 FirstFirst ... 364414454462463464465466474514564964 ... LastLast
Results 6,946 to 6,960 of 16142

Thread: Developer Diary: Alpha 17

Quote Originally Posted by chaosterone View Post
    Somehow, the song "Walk on the Wild Side" seems it might fit in here. Maybe Roland will sing it for us.
    Iíll sing it on Buboís karaoke machine during his after party.

Quote Originally Posted by Menace312 View Post
    The Pimps obviously have there own vision of the game, and this very likely is not exactly what any mod does.
    Bingo. Think of mods as alternate universes. Nobody really wants the game to become just Ravenhearst or Starvation or War of the Walkers or Winter. We want the game that TFP is working towards AND those other alternatives which the current way things are being done is currently delivering.

As one of the creators of the above mentioned heavy mods I think it is important to remember one thing: All of us modders should be on our hands and knees THANKING Pimps for allowing us to even alter and redistribute this code. There are other games, like H1Z1 where players would DREAM of getting their hands on that code and being able to mod and alter it but can't.

20 years ago stuff like this was not as readily available to people like me. Id have to seek it out, and then share it amongst a select group. Now everyone embraces modding but it was not always like that, and Pimps do NOT have to allow it. It is a privilege.

Also I fully support the notion that us modders, while making cool stuff, are NOT creating a new game. Without the layers with which we build upon there would be NO Ravenhearst, Starvation or War of the Walkers. We may add things not seen in the game, but in the end we are not developing a game. I am under no delusion that anything I put out is "better" than what the Pimps can do. All I do is take ideas already at play and shape them. Without them it all goes up in smoke.

I think some need to stop acting so entitled. Tomorrow could be the day Pimps forbid modding their code and that's the day we all have to go underground. And if you are unhappy with the current direction give one of the mods a shot and stop resisting it. Coming here to complain about it is time you can be using to explore a whole world of awesome stuff that can reignite your love for the game. Want to play a more challenging version? Try True Survival. Want more end game content with NPCs and Farming? Go with Starvation. LOVE progression and classes and such? Go Valmod. SO many choices if you are THAT upset with Vanilla.

TFP have given us more than enough to occupy our time in between Alphas. It's not their fault you do not want to take advantage of it.
    Last edited by JaxTeller718; 12-20-2017 at 10:20 PM.

Scavenger
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxTeller718 View Post
    As one of the creators of the above mentioned heavy mods I think it is important to remember one thing: All of us modders should be on our hands and knees THANKING Pimps for allowing us to even alter and redistribute this code. There are other games, like H1Z1 where players would DREAM of getting their hands on that code and being able to mod and alter it but can't.

20 years ago stuff like this was not as readily available to people like me. Id have to seek it out, and then share it amongst a select group. Now everyone embraces modding but it was not always like that, and Pimps do NOT have to allow it. It is a privilege.

Also I fully support the notion that us modders, while making cool stuff, are NOT creating a new game. Without the layers with which we build upon there would be NO Ravenhearst, Starvation or War of the Walkers. We may add things not seen in the game, but in the end we are not developing a game. I am under no delusion that anything I put out is "better" than what the Pimps can do. All I do is take ideas already at play and shape them. Without them it all goes up in smoke.

I think some need to stop acting so entitled. Tomorrow could be the day Pimps forbid modding their code and that's the day we all have to go underground. And if you are unhappy with the current direction give one of the mods a shot and stop resisting it. Coming here to complain about it is time you can be using to explore a whole world of awesome stuff that can reignite your love for the game. Want to play a more challenging version? Try True Survival. Want more end game content with NPCs and Farming? Go with Starvation. LOVE progression and classes and such? Go Valmod. SO many choices if you are THAT upset with Vanilla.

TFP have given us more than enough to occupy our time in between Alphas. It's not their fault you do not want to take advantage of it.
    As someone who has been thoroughly enjoying the aforementioned mods, I'm also exceptionally grateful that TFP have been kind enough to allow modders to basically change their game completely.

and truly you hit the nail on the head!

Leader
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxTeller718 View Post

Well said Roland tho is spuing you made a better post then he hahahaha :-P. Nah jokes aside not 1 thing in your post I disagree with. It's spot on....

Refugee
    I agree with Jax,

For the longest time I played nothing but True Survival Mod by Spider, but spider is now on hiatus. I have played Starvation and Valmod. But I still find myself playing singleplayer vanilla ironman. If I die, I start over. I am also doing this to try new maps with new words for the random world creator. I keep hoping I will see a pattern. Almost near 3000 hours and no pattern.
    I have not always been happy when the Pimps change something, but in the end, it is their art and I can play on a mod or even mod it myself if I am so inclined. Alpha 16 is the best version of the game so far. End of story. I have more hours on 16 than any other alpha and that says alot. I have more single player hours on alpha 16 and that says even more. What says the most of all is I am salivating for alpha 17 because of what Madmole has already shown us.
    Per hour of entertainment for dollars paid this is the best game I have ever owned and its still in alpha. I do not know how to praise a game any higher. The original Tribes game is the only game I have more hours on and that is because we competed in the world wide ladder as a team and were in the top ten for most of the time. So I had over 10k hours on tribes and 7 Days is a better game than tribes hands down. As a pvp multiplayer Tribes is still my favorite of all time. For a single player survival and multiplayer survival game there is nothing better than 7 Days.
    If you cannot deal with early access then please play something else and come back each time a new alpha drops and is updated to about the 4th version of that alpha. At that time servers become more stable and most servers do not need to be wiped often.
    Chris

Guppycurian Forum Whore Guppycur's Avatar
    For all the greatness modders are producing, they simply don't have access to create a superior product.

I played one of those mods a while ago, maybe I will try them all someday. Although, I must admit I'm getting spoiled by Steam's Workshop: Click. Click. Done! Oh, how modern programmers have made me lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    Iíll sing it on Buboís karaoke machine during his after party.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHzOOQfhPFg

Last edited by Bubo; 12-21-2017 at 07:09 AM.

I have played since A7 and still have never once used a mod...or wanted to...maybe once the game goes gold I might look into some...
    Hell even Minecraft , it took me well past 1.0 to download any mods and that has pretty much just been the farming ones and mo'creatures...nothing completely game altering...

Now Planet Coaster on the other hand , I have added to and downloaded from the Workshop numerous times...so I can see the want and need for something like that here...but we are a long way off to that still and rather the game itself and all that entrails(so much more appropriate then entails) get completed first!

Quote Originally Posted by Ladarian View Post
    Yeah, Gazz - why can't you hire from the modding community...
    That would just be ridiculous. What qualifications can they possibly have?

mehh
    Last edited by Mikee; 02-20-2018 at 12:18 PM.

As for what modders can or can not do - one must not ignore the effort or qualification required to do something.

Sure, a small handful of modders can do crazy SDX mods but how many can not?
    The more powerful the "simple" (and far more compatible) XML modding capability is, the more modders can create awesome content with it without having to be "real coders".

Want a hidden counter to increase whenever the player enters a new biome? That's XML now.
    Want a "dazed" buff to trigger when your blood pressure is low and you get up after being crouched too long? XML.
    Want a "zen repair overdrive" buff after you've repaired 10 blocks in under 15 seconds? XML.
    Unable to use 2-handed weapons/items with one broken arm? Yup, XML.
    A zombie entity is no longer completely separate from a player entity so if a zombie were to have an item or buff or skill that increases block damage or negates some of your armor value... guess what...
    Just a few random examples.

I have no idea where all this angst is coming from.
    This patch is a massive framework overhaul on the gameplay front and it will be ready when it's ready. Right now there are way too many cables and parts strewn all over the floor to even properly test it. (and this is normal)

Sure there's a new syntax to wrap your head around but hey - are you mice or modders? =P
    A17 is a big box of new types of LEGO modding pieces in addition to all the gameplay and prefab overhauls.
    And if some more wooden sticks bite the dust - cry me a river =)

Quote Originally Posted by Gazz View Post
    As for what modders can or can not do - one must not ignore the effort or qualification required to do something.

The more powerful the "simple" (and far more compatible) XML modding capability is, the more modders can create awesome content with it without having to be "real coders".

Sure there's a new syntax to wrap your head around but hey - are you mice or modders? =P
    A17 is a big box of new types of LEGO modding pieces in addition to all the gameplay and prefab overhauls.
    I don't typically post in this thread, but those of us who actually produce something besides complaints appreciate all that you and the FP team are doing. Looking forward to all the new possibilities!

Quote Originally Posted by Gazz View Post

Want a hidden counter to increase whenever the player enters a new biome? That's XML now.
    Want a "dazed" buff to trigger when your blood pressure is low and you get up after being crouched too long? XML.
    Want a "zen repair overdrive" buff after you've repaired 10 blocks in under 15 seconds? XML.
    Unable to use 2-handed weapons/items with one broken arm? Yup, XML.
    A zombie entity is no longer completely separate from a player entity so if a zombie were to have an item or buff or skill that increases block damage or negates some of your armor value... guess what...
    Just a few random examples.

I have no idea where all this angst is coming from.
    This patch is a massive framework overhaul on the gameplay front and it will be ready when it's ready. Right now there are way too many cables and parts strewn all over the floor to even properly test it. (and this is normal)

This is all great to hear.

Some day you folks will have to make a bit more comprehensive list of what options are available in XML edits. It's easy to look at what is there and modify it but it isn't so easy to identify what *could* be there but isn't currently used or used rarely enough that you don't intuit that it could apply in other areas (like a property you only see used with containers but could also be used on non-containers).

Also... can you spawn entities with the new system? Could you have a large item, such as a bus, that spawns zombies one at a time every few minutes until it is destroyed? Or maybe have a rabbit hole that does the same for rabbits? Or maybe have a factory with a conveyor system that produces products that drop on to the conveyor and are transported around? Okay, that last one isn't likely, but whatever.