• Stream Event -> A17-E Released

0 0%
  • -------------------------------------------------------

0 0%
  • DEV DIARY 1ST PAGE UPDATED: Oct 13

0 0%
  • -------------------------------------------------------

0 0%
Page 542 of 2354 FirstFirst ... 4244249253254054154254354455259264210421542 ... LastLast
Results 8,116 to 8,130 of 35310

Thread: Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Ranger
    Quote Originally Posted by Tin View Post
    Yeah I do that as well at times. I also make my town's and cities have more ordinary prefabs and less high value target prefabs. Along with heavily making those high value prefabs more of a pain to loot. I also don't touch that quality perk that makes it easier to get better loot.

This will be a less than popular opinion but..

I refuse to purchase that perk (that shall not be named) that makes it more likely to getting higher quality loot either. I really think it doesn't add anything to the game for MP or SP and just promotes more sitting around and staying at one location. The play map is pretty darn big as is and there's really no reason for that perk. By the time everyone has even come close to uncovering all the map and looted every poi, even if you stick with the 30day respawn of loot, every poi will be restocked long before you even come close to doing so.
    Tin,

I like this line of thinking. Making players work for higher quality items through combines and crafting seems a really good time sink to me.
    Maybe vanilla should consider axing this perk. This seems like a really good way to prolong the rush to end game. Surprised I had not thought of this before, but that perk seems the number 1 over powered perk in game. That perk is always the one I rush to and I see all the video content creators doing the same in their games.

What I noticed in Ravenhearst mod is they made the skill points requirement for this perk really high. I think the last level of the perk is like 35 points. What does your mod do for this setting?

I am thinking for Ravenhearst the skill point requirements are still not high enough. The last level of this perk should have extreme cost, like 90-100 points.

Think my next start over(probably a mod other then Ravenhearst), going to jack up the skill point requirements to x3 or x4.

Ranger
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldranon View Post
    Yup, "location, location, location", using the realtor agent's mantra, you can make loot better or worse (and the monsters better or worse) all based on location.

Give each POI and Biome a value to indicate the level also the closer to the edge of the map (radiation zone) make radiated zombies more common until at the edge they are ALL radiated. Put the legendary stuff IN the radiation zones as well. Give the rad suits a reason to live.

Edit: THIS would be the reason for people to leave their immediate area and explore because as of now, there are no reasons to move from your starting area. THAT is whats missing in the game, the adventure part.

Definitely agree with all this. Having higher quality loot based on extreme locations / difficult POI's is rewarding and gives incentives.

Yup, "location, location, location", using the realtor agent's mantra, you can make loot better or worse (and the monsters better or worse) all based on location.

Give each POI and Biome a value to indicate the level also the closer to the edge of the map (radiation zone) make radiated zombies more common until at the edge they are ALL radiated. Put the legendary stuff IN the radiation zones as well. Give the rad suits a reason to live.

Edit: THIS would be the reason for people to leave their immediate area and explore because as of now, there are no reasons to move from your starting area. THAT is whats missing in the game, the adventure part.
    100% agree with this, more difficult buildings need better quality loot, and yes a reason to get to the edge of the map - it's a bit like how starvation mod does it.

Dont blame me, blame the idiots at M.I.T. Give me a Border Collie and I can train it to get me a bear from the fridge in a week. All I can do with a cat is something with his food and his bed. He trains me if I fail to keep his litter box clean. (something special in the bath tub, at least its not on the carpet)
    Don't confuse intelligence with obedience, the cat knows EXACTLY what it's doing.

I can train my mother to get me a beer from the fridge, if I tried I may as well get my own as I'm running for cover past the kitchen.
    Last edited by The Gronk; 01-10-2018 at 12:42 PM.

Will be there new ammo type on A17 or just the gun mods ? I mean new type of ammunition like armor-piercing for AK-47, hollowpoint for pistols, tracers and etc ?

Quote Originally Posted by Gatling96 View Post
    Will be there new ammo type on A17 or just the gun mods ? I mean new type of ammunition like armor-piercing for AK-47, hollowpoint for pistols, tracers and etc ?
    As s bullet's design is the only thing that really does the damaging (that and its velocity that causes hydro-static shock), then there should be a lot of mods or whatever you want to call it for bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatling96 View Post
    That could be done with an ammunition modification. It wouldn't be a bad idea to implement them, if they aren't already. Take the ammunition to a workbench and combine them with a "hollow-point" mod, or just give the workbench the ability to make a hollow point round if you have the basic ammo available. Probably better to just create a new craftable type of ammunition requiring the basic ammunition instead of trying to strap a mod to each bullet.

Is there such thing as an ammunition extension? Can anyone think of an example? Grappling hooks on the end of a shotgun shell spring to mind but ziplines are out.
    Last edited by The Gronk; 01-10-2018 at 01:10 PM.

Good old .50 cal would be awesome, even as a mod. But without proper animations that shows what damage you do on zed, would be just meh. Cool idea Gatling96.

Quote Originally Posted by beerfly View Post
    Good old .50 cal would be awesome, even as a mod. But without proper animations that shows what damage you do on zed, would be just meh. Cool idea Gatling96.
    I'm still musing on the idea of ammunition mods. Something with large, individual rounds could use an ammunition mod, an RPG that shoots varying types of cluster munitions would be fun, especially with dismemberment. I'm still failing to see the scenario where it's not just easier to make another type of craftable ammo though.

"There are very few problems in the world that cannot be solved by the correct application of explosives."
    - Military axiom
    Last edited by The Gronk; 01-10-2018 at 01:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Gronk View Post
    I'm still musing on the idea of ammunition mods. Something with large, individual rounds could use an ammunition mod, an RPG that shoots varying types of cluster munitions would be fun, especially with dismemberment. I'm still failing to see the scenario where it's not just easier to make another type of craftable ammo though.
    As you say it must not be "just another type of ammo". I agree here.

Scavenger
    Maybe it was suggested before... In any case.
    Horde nights are pc resourses hungry, especially in MP. How about removing loot, maybe even bodies from fallen horde Z. For killing Z you would get ''blood points'' which you could spend in trade post.
    Or maybe after horde night you would get ''horde chest''.
    I know looting Zs after horde night is fun.

Colony Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Archetype View Post
    Horde nights are pc resourses hungry, especially in MP. How about removing loot, maybe even bodies from fallen horde Z. For killing Z you would get ''blood points'' which you could spend in trade post.
    Not a bad idea. I don't know if it helps FPS, but looting and scraping all the corpses is tedious.

Since zombie bosses are planned for A17 one solution could be that only they leave corpses and loot on blood nights. Horde chest or blood points sound too gamey, too much MMO for my taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Archetype View Post
    Well, yeah. I have been thinking about "bosses" or somesuch spawning either along with the horde or after each "wave".
    Those would have the Cool Stuff™ instead of you having to loot/clean up 500 generic corpses.

You'd still have to do the repairs but not clean up hundreds of corpses and sort out boxes upon boxes of trash.

Right now killing the 7 day horde is more of a role playing thing. There is no reward unless you get lucky with a wave of soldiers or somesuch...

All the A17 features are starting to make something like that possible but it feels more like an A18 thing.
    There is tons of work to do without casually opening up another can of worms.

Quote Originally Posted by meganoth View Post
    Not a bad idea. I don't know if it helps FPS, but looting and scraping all the corpses is tedious.

Since zombie bosses are planned for A17 one solution could be that only they leave corpses and loot on blood nights. Horde chest or blood points sound too gamey, too much MMO for my taste.
    hmm, That really is a decent Idea. My twist would be: Make 1 zed per wave that will turn into a "master loot chest".

Oh or... make it somehow you keep a tally on your zed kills and you need to go to a trader to collect your reward then that count gets reset every time you collect.

So 2 tally counts.
    1) Overall kill count.
    2) a reset able tally count till you go to a trader and collect.

edit: heh or what Gazz said.

edit2: heh very doable... at least just making 1 zed a container that is and the rest just downgrade into nothing.
    going to play around with this... Thanks Archetype @ meganoth.
    Last edited by Tin; 01-10-2018 at 03:54 PM.

100% agree with this. The need to move around is nearly non-existent and the reasons for wanting to become negligible once you've seen what there is to see. My short list of things to help make exploration an integral part of the game:

1. Unique POI's - they're put at most once onto a map and not necessarily guaranteed to be on every map. Unique loot would be key here. Unique enemies could also be a boon.
    2. Unique Loot - Items that only ever appear once and can't be crafted. Make sure there are enough of them so multi-player games create opportunity for trade instead of coveting what you can never have.
    3. Special/unique enemies - Enemies only found under specific circumstances, such as POIs, biomes, after quest triggers, gamestage, whatever. Named bandit leaders, particularly gruesome zombies of local legend, etc.
    4. More biome diversity - more reasons to seek out each biome. Maybe this includes higher tiers of craftables that require components and/or resources only found in specific biomes. Maybe there's an armor set for each biome, for instance. Loot tables should be more biome specific (the likelihood of finding fresh foods in the desert should be minimal, for instance). Biome specific zombies and other enemies.
    5. Maybe there should be a 30 day roaming mega horde cycle that happens when player(s) stay in one area too long and attract the attention of the starving zombies. If your bedroll stays in the same area for 80% of a 30 day period then the mega horde comes to visit and hangs out until completely destroyed.
    6. Gaining experience for exploring new areas
    7. Exploration feedback - Give us counters for how many distinct POI's we've been to (total included). How many of each zombie we've killed. Which biomes have we been to and maybe the cumulative time we've spent in each. So many things to add to this list.
    8. Quests - More quests that force someone to go to new areas, possibly a long way a way. Everything from "deliver this pretzel to a stubborn fish" to "find the rare fetid dingo kidney" to "OMG why haven't you killed Kenny yet?".

Ok, so it isn't a short list but I'll still stop here.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gazz View Post
    All the A17 features are starting to make something like that possible but it feels more like an A18 thing.
    There is tons of work to do without casually opening up another can of worms.