View Poll Results: Alpha 17

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • A17 will be released when the bugs are fixed

    0 0%
  • 0 0%
  • Feature Freeze -> Hitler Video ->

    0 0%
  • Madmole gameplay -> Spider Meme ->

    0 0%
  • A17-E Release Candidate ->

    0 0%
  • Stream Event -> A17-E Released

    0 0%
  • -------------------------------------------------------

    0 0%
  • DEV DIARY 1ST PAGE UPDATED: Oct 15

    0 0%
  • -------------------------------------------------------

    0 0%
Page 489 of 2389 FirstFirst ... 3894394794874884894904914995395899891489 ... LastLast
Results 7,321 to 7,335 of 35835

Thread: Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

  1. #7321
    Leader Tin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    In between
    Posts
    5,291
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamida View Post
    C'mon Tin. It's Christmas, throw the grammer nazis a bone for God's sake...
    Hey, I'm drin..erm Cooking!

    I'm dangerous near a KB during the Holidays
    That's why I'm not releasing my mod till tomorrow... >.>

  2. #7322
    Super Moderator Roland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    On a Zipline
    Posts
    12,422
    Rep Power
    2
    Yes on Vulcan support. Please read the first post of this thread. It has this and other tidbits of information.

  3. #7323
    Tracker IrishGhost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    209
    Rep Power
    0
    You wouldn't happen to have a link would you?

    EDIT: Well, I've read the first post a couple of times and never saw that. Thanks Roland
    Last edited by IrishGhost; 12-25-2017 at 08:57 PM.

  4. #7324
    Tracker bayaholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    169
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarath View Post
    The health bars are somewhat that troubles me. They seem misplaced in this game. Its sorta immersion breaking.

    Knowing how much life the lifeless stinky walking meat bags have left seems inappropriate. It kills the randomness of situations and instead replaces them with a pure numbers game. This is okay for RTS games and probably for quiet a few other genres but it feels misplaced here because of the nature of this particular game.

    And even in PvP it feels wrong. Sure, in a real life situations you might see your enemy bleed and you get some sort of idea how badly wounded he is - which we can't really see in 7 Days. But on the other hand we shouldn't know for sure. In a situation where we both are wounded I would probably not re-engage carelessly sticking to the small chance of maybe winning the confrontation. But if I'm able to know that my opponent has just 10 hp left while I'm at (i.e.) 50% it will radically change my decision making.

    Same goes for killing Zeds. Its awkward to think "oh hey, just 20 hp left" and kill it without fear instead of "hm damn, this guy still stands" and stay focussed and careful.

    If this really is something you guys want to implement please consider to make it a setting on game creation. Which either activates or deactivates it for everyone.
    Agreed. Please make it an option to turn off. I like this game because of the immersion. HP bars ruin that immersion aspect. I was hoping that TFP stayed as close to Walking Dead as possible (they do not see HP bars). I like the RPG aspects of Fallout in 7DTD but without HP bars. HP bars are knowing when the bomb explodes as opposed to, "OMG! When is this bomb going to explode? Do I have enough time to grab one more item or do I flee the scene, NOW!?" HP ruins the unexpected because now you know the unexpected and can assume your own outcome. Please remove, or have the ability to remove, the HP bars. Onboard with most other changes.

  5. #7325
    Hood Ornament Gamida's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    The Rock
    Posts
    3,676
    Rep Power
    1
    I have noticed one thing...it seems that everyone would be happy if one thing is true...every option in game is able to be turned on or off. Simple as that. You don't like it turn it off...you like it turn it on.

  6. #7326
    Leader
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    5,306
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamida View Post
    I have noticed one thing...it seems that everyone would be happy if one thing is true...every option in game is able to be turned on or off. Simple as that. You don't like it turn it off...you like it turn it on.
    They allow that now.... via modding...... doubt TFP will waste time on making further options available when things can be modded and tweaked easily.

  7. #7327
    Scavenger
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    51
    Rep Power
    0
    Was wondering about the new update that is coming and saw some reworking done to the skill system.

    I would like to offer a suggestion, since we already have perks related to firearms like better lead of dead is there any way we can get perks for archery? My suggestion as to what it would do could be increased entity damage scaling the same as gun perks do and increased headshot % damage.

    Hope you like this idea

  8. #7328
    Zombie Hunter A Nice Cup of Tea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    490
    Rep Power
    1
    You know, I'm going to defend the health bars from a realism angle.

    In the real world, if I hit someone repeatedly with a spiked club or stabbed them repeatedly or shot them repeatedly, I'd be able to see what I'd done. They'd have injuries, and I'd have at least a clue how bad those injuries were.

    Even on a zombie that doesn't feel pain or bleed out, you'd still be able to see that half their head was missing or that you'd broken their spine and they were now having trouble walking.

    But in the game, each zombie uses a specific model with specific textures. More, it has a standard set of animations. Unless it's actually had a limb removed - which is the only thing that is visible on them as damage - a zombie that's been blown to hell and back with a shotgun and is barely held together by a few bits of sinew looks and moves exactly the same as one that's completely uninjured. In fact, if there are multiple zombies of the same type going for you it's impossible to tell which of them you've already bashed half to death and which you haven't yet touched.

    So a health bar for zombies is one of those things that gives you information that would be obvious to your character but which isn't apparent to the player. The character should be able to see how damaged a zombie is, even though the player is only shown the same textured model.

    Now that doesn't mean that a health bar needs to be 100% accurate. It could be randomised so it only shows the zombie's approximate health rather than its exact health. Similarly, it doesn't say anything about the positioning of the health bar or how prominent it should be. But in the absence of a detailed texture/model degradation system (something which I'd love, by the way), it's the only way we can tell whether a zombie is being badly damaged by our attacks or is simply shrugging them off - and that's something that, from a realism point of view, our character should be able to see and therefore the player should have at least some feedback on.

  9. #7329
    Colony Founder Xtrakicking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Behind your fridge
    Posts
    3,983
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by A Nice Cup of Tea View Post
    You know, I'm going to defend the health bars from a realism angle.

    In the real world, if I hit someone repeatedly with a spiked club or stabbed them repeatedly or shot them repeatedly, I'd be able to see what I'd done. They'd have injuries, and I'd have at least a clue how bad those injuries were.

    Even on a zombie that doesn't feel pain or bleed out, you'd still be able to see that half their head was missing or that you'd broken their spine and they were now having trouble walking.

    But in the game, each zombie uses a specific model with specific textures. More, it has a standard set of animations. Unless it's actually had a limb removed - which is the only thing that is visible on them as damage - a zombie that's been blown to hell and back with a shotgun and is barely held together by a few bits of sinew looks and moves exactly the same as one that's completely uninjured. In fact, if there are multiple zombies of the same type going for you it's impossible to tell which of them you've already bashed half to death and which you haven't yet touched.

    So a health bar for zombies is one of those things that gives you information that would be obvious to your character but which isn't apparent to the player. The character should be able to see how damaged a zombie is, even though the player is only shown the same textured model.

    Now that doesn't mean that a health bar needs to be 100% accurate. It could be randomised so it only shows the zombie's approximate health rather than its exact health. Similarly, it doesn't say anything about the positioning of the health bar or how prominent it should be. But in the absence of a detailed texture/model degradation system (something which I'd love, by the way), it's the only way we can tell whether a zombie is being badly damaged by our attacks or is simply shrugging them off - and that's something that, from a realism point of view, our character should be able to see and therefore the player should have at least some feedback on.
    Healthbars are only red rectangles that get shorter indicating that something is about to be turned into a ragdoll, they don't "show" how damaged someone or something is. Like you say, if I want my game to give info on how much damage has been dealt to an entity, I'd add a change to the model to show it, otherwise no healthbars is preferable.
    Last edited by Xtrakicking; 12-26-2017 at 04:50 PM.

  10. #7330
    Colony Founder Maharin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,725
    Rep Power
    1
    I don't really get the immersion breaking argument for on screen information. I ignore the on screen stuff until I need info or I have a down moment where not a lot is going on. I don't obsess over it but I do like it handy and convenient. This game needs a whole lot better feedback system in place before they remove the gadgets from the interface. I don't need to know I'm at 12% of anything but it sure would be nice to know it went from "I can still manage" to "really bad" or "need to do something about this ASAP". If I'm below 50% health and bleeding out that's a whole lot different situation than I'm starving to death, even if they share the same end result if untreated.

  11. #7331
    QA Tester unholyjoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    south central U.S. in Arkansas
    Posts
    2,092
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Xtrakicking View Post
    Healthbars are only red rectangles that get shorter indicating that something is about to be turned into a ragdoll, they don't "show" how damaged someone or something is. Like you say, if I want my game to give info on how much damage has been dealt to an entity, I'd add changed to the model to show it, otherwise no healthbars is preferable.
    exactly... there is an example of what can be done and thats to mimic crates/blocks, you see actual damage indicators like cracks forming. this can be done by adding blood/bruising to npcs that take damage. seriously, we have them losing limbs and such so it is a plausible idea and pretty sure no one would object to that.. cant bitch about the blood because its a kill something type of game.

  12. #7332
    Inventor xercesblue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Hiding in your beard
    Posts
    838
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    Yes on Vulcan support. Please read the first post of this thread. It has this and other tidbits of information.
    I did a search for it using my browser search function on the first page and couldn't find it and then realized it was being misspelled, unless I'm mistaken it's spelled "Vulkan" API.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulkan_(API)

    That might be why at least some people are missing that.

  13. #7333
    QA Tester unholyjoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    south central U.S. in Arkansas
    Posts
    2,092
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by xercesblue View Post
    I did a search for it using my browser search function on the first page and couldn't find it and then realized it was being misspelled, unless I'm mistaken it's spelled "Vulkan" API.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulkan_(API)

    That might be why at least some people are missing that.
    give him a break he was watching star trek and mr spock had his attention.

  14. #7334
    Colony Founder Maharin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,725
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by unholyjoe View Post
    cant bitch about the blood because its a kill something type of game.
    In general, people are very capable of bitching about anything for any reason or no reason at all.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by unholyjoe View Post
    give him a break he was watching star trek and mr spock had his attention.
    I'll just leave this here:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGF5ROpjRAU

  15. #7335
    Hood Ornament Gamida's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    The Rock
    Posts
    3,676
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by stallionsden View Post
    They allow that now.... via modding...... doubt TFP will waste time on making further options available when things can be modded and tweaked easily.
    I am not sure everything can be modded and tweaked right now and even if it can be, it is not easily done by everyone. The rest of us have to rely on the modders and hope the tweaks we would like are done by some kind soul out there.

    I wasn't really suggesting that everything be able to be turned on and off...just that it seems that would be the only thing that would make everyone happy.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •