Page 17 of 101 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official A17 Developer's Diary for Developers

Fun Pimps Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by archergod View Post
    do zombie see other zombie as Obstacle to reach brains ? what if they just downgrade a piece will they switch if other piece in some radius got even weaker say by other zombie?
    Obstacles, not yet, but we have talked about push force helping front zombies. I've seen cases where climbing other zombies might work (needs to not look ugly). Zombies repath on a regular basis, so as blocks change or take damage they will change their target.

Fun Pimps Staff
    More pathing improvements done today including not jumping on every block between us. Walk around like a normal person.

It is pretty cool to stand in a room with a variety of wall blocks and improve the weak spot a zombie is beating on and then they will shift to next weakest and so on. Like having a structural engineer bang on stuff and say fix this.

Fun Pimps Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by XCOUNTRY View Post
    Now the real trick: Will they automatically start tearing the walls down on your base or hideout even though you haven't been sensed and you've been quiet and nothing is running?
    In testing, with the current state of the game, I have to make noise or be seen for zombies to come at me. Otherwise they wander, which does not allow block destruction in that mode.

Fun Pimps Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by The Gronk View Post
    Should they all go for the weakest block? Perhaps some random variance would be a good idea if it isn't already planned. Yeah, he may be a rotting corpse fixated on eating your brain but he's also a hell of a structural engineer :-)
    I love random variation, but that is more for the polish stage of development.

Quote Originally Posted by Cazmyr View Post
    Is "GRRRRR" one of the attributes?
    No, but there is ARRRRR which governs seamanship.

Fun Pimps Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by archergod View Post
    Someone please ask @faatal to **NOT** Share daily update on AI improvement. It just make me more and more hyped. I feel like I play it already. Don't tease that hard man.
    I didn't tell you yesterday that I optimized the path grid update, when a single block changes, so it is 30x to 100x faster.

The trouble with water is not that our dear coders don't know how water should behave.
    It's the exponentiality of the thing.

Sure, if one water block loses half it's content you can refill/equalise it from the 6 adjacent blocks.
    Then do the same with the 14 or so blocks adjacent to them and so on.
    See the problem? =)
    That obviously won't work.

If you define entire bodies of water as some sort of unit you still have the issue of connecting rivers between them.

And always keep in mind that the player can change the shape of any terrain...

Quote Originally Posted by sillls View Post
    So why not change the physics of water so that it's content never decreases.

You could modify the rules so that large body of water such as a lake or river never loses volume. Say in body's that have over a fifty voxels or more.
    There are no easy fixes. It's a voxel game. LOL

You wall off a section in a river and it would always be full of water no matter how often you "clear" it.

And if you say that this cannot happen because it's walled off... then it's back to single voxels and square one.

I'm sure it could "work better" but that will take only take place after some serious design talk.

Undisclosed bunker somewhere on planet earth
    On RWG in a17:
    Random worlds in a17 onward will be fully "pregenerated". This means that the world generator will output the same data structure as navezgane but in a save folder. This means that any rwg world will load just as fast as navezgane going forward.

After fixing the vehicles and adding new ones it was determined that RWG's runtime code was just waaaay too slow. So now it instead gets all the data set up and exports it in a common format which allows for quicker chunk loading.

With the change to pregeneration and using the socket(tile) system over the entire world there will be some other changes as well. For the better. Over the next couple of days I will give a bit more detail on what else these changes to RWG mean for the average player, modders, and server owners. I think most will be very happy.

More to come...

RWG was pregenned before yes. but in less compacted data causing run time distance calculations for say, road asphault.

Now this is being precalculated and added to an image map that contains the roads. The height part of them is stored in the world height map.

The way the old RWG generated vs the new way is a bit too large of a topic to cover in passive discussion. I put pregenerated in quotes because it's simply outputting the same biome map, terrain map, etc. like navezgane has. Generation takes about as long as it did before but once it's done all will be output to maps for quicker loading. Since so much was done with the data loader for the navezgane format and much more is being done for distant trees and terrain it only made sense to match it up to that.

We are NOT generating all the chunks. That's just not going to be doable for reasons others have already stated, takes too long. But outputting it in the same dtm, biome map, prefabs.xml etc. only stands to gain speed and also gets all the features without me having to do special coding specifically for RWG.

Feel free to think over pros and cons but I'm 100% certain of what I'm doing. Just sit back and relax.

Quote Originally Posted by Daggett Beaver View Post
    One solution would be to make it a bit more like Terraria, where fluids can fill a block partially (like 25%, 50%, 75% and 100% filled), this way the gradients wouldn't look as strange... but i can imagine that this needs a lot of resources in a voxel game.
    That's exactly the problem.
    There is no good way to look at one or a few blocks and change only those.
    If you dig out a huge hole, like one of those open air bedrock bases and connect it to an infinite supply body of water, what happens?

Does water flow in there, which "Terraria water" would do? (which is one helluvalot cheaper in 2D, BTW, and Terraria has tiny bodies of water in comparison)

Does the water that flows inside become infinite supply water as well? At which point does it do that?
    Because if it doesn't it remains "flowing" water and keeps costing CPU time.

Either way, water "flowing into" a huge hole is probably the worst case scenario here, akin to having a skyscraper or other large structure collapse.
    There simply is no cheap way to do it and here you have to take into account that chunks can get unloaded anytime so "water filling a hole" would be suspended while no one is watching or only one half of a giant hole gets filled resulting in a huge vertical wall of water or such craziness.

Sure, it may "get better". Eventually.
    But I'm certain that it will take a lot of brain sweat and work and not someone's bright idea for a quick fix. =P

Quote Originally Posted by Matyese View Post
    why would you play a sandbox for story? END GAME is the most important thing in this type of games
    Well, but then you're proposing one of the biggest features of story-based games - that they have an end.
    If the game doesn't end there is no end game, no final boss.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackelmyer View Post
    Kinyajuu - I want to say I recall a time before you existed... Hmm... lol. Seriously though, your presence on the forums has been appreciated man. Good detail. Good informational posts of content changes we're interested in hearing. And from what I can tell, a good method of communications.

Roland - ... Meh...

Roland - Okay, seriously. <3 as usual. ... and never mind... I'm tired... pfft. Just... <3
    I would like to say I recall a time before I existed too. Double hmmmm... :P

And thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by zombiedude View Post
    I have been requesting a way to chat in-game with friends only since 2015. PLEASE:

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showth...45-Friend-chat

Just add a way to switch from "global" to "friends" already. Just add a filter that is applied when switched to "friends", the filter being that what you type is only sent to these added as allies. I could code that in an hour if it was open source. It's been YEARS. We are going to have vehicles before in-game friend chat. This is insane.

"Just use a mic".

I can't use a mic at night, it's annoying.

"Just chat with the steam chat".

It's annoying to go from the Steam GUI back to the game, your view gets blocked by it.

Just add the damn friend chat, it's 2018.
    It was planned but as with anything, only so many hours in the day. A little birdie told me that the chat window got some love for a17 and that you'll have exactly what you're asking for.

Keep in mind that we cannot code everything all at once and we have to prioritize things. Some things have to be lower on the list and some higher, they can't all be top priority. While it may seem like a long time for such a simple thing to some, it's not about it's simplicity. It's about having bigger items on your plate and having to finish those before touching the lower priority items.
    Last edited by Kinyajuu; 05-01-2018 at 10:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    Whenever that birdie chirps I gotta update the front page....
    Okay fine, I'm the birdie. :P

I saw Alloc updated the chat window for a17 with global, friends, and party filters when he was updating it to use XUI.

*Chirp*
    Last edited by Kinyajuu; 05-01-2018 at 10:59 PM.