• Stream Event -> A17-E Released

0 0%
  • -------------------------------------------------------

0 0%
  • FIRST POST UPDATED: Sept 15

0 0%
  • SECOND POST UPDATED: Sept 15

0 0%
  • News for console versions is only announced by Clare in the console news forum.

0 0%
Page 1510 of 2233 FirstFirst ... 5101010141014601500150815091510151115121520156016102010 ... LastLast
Results 22,636 to 22,650 of 33489

Thread: Developer Diary: Alpha 17

Reconstructionist
    Quote Originally Posted by faatal View Post
    Out of all the AI changes, that was not a hard one. I just put delays on AI tasks, so they are not all being checked 20 times a second on every entity. There was also some ugly check if this task conflicts with every other task, which was greatly simplified and much faster.
    I can just imagine the look of horror on your face when you saw the AI code for the first time haha!

Ranger
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazz View Post
    Blocks should be able to do their own AOE buffs (havent actually tested that, yet) so you can tie whatever you want to them.
    Wait, so the only thing keeping us from actually tying a yellow ribbon around the new oak is that we don't have a yellow ribbon item? We really must be getting close to gold. Or at least a18.

Oh, and the song is about the "old oak tree" - this is a new oak tree. Just to be pedantic.

Ranger
    I'd vote for that. Before I got this job, I was thinking a middle speed or mode would be nice.
    Ooh, good, an insider who likes the idea. I have hope. (very slight hope, but it's a start - kind of like waking up naked in the woods during a zombie apocalypse, in a way)

Yes, water was probably made 50% faster.

Core AI decision making is using about 25% of the CPU it was using before.
    Thanks.

When reading JH's tweet I interpretted it both ways, given the comma..

We fixed water and improved [its] perf 50%. Also reflections!
    We fixed water, and improved [game] perf 50%. Also reflections!

In any case, that could still be decent gains with water alone.. Anyone remember when crysis rendered all the water under the map even if you couldnt see it? yea, good times.

Ranger
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeen View Post
    I can just imagine the look of horror on your face when you saw the AI code for the first time haha!
    Alpha code should nearly always be really ugly. If it isn't, you put too much effort into it. It'll nearly all be thrown out and replaced by prettier code once you're more sure what you want the code to really do, and how. I'd be more surprised if he wasn't able to achieve massive gains. I'd bet he finds many more places to optimize once they get past the "does all this new a18 code work without crashing?" stage...

Zombie Hunter A Nice Cup of Tea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    Shields and spears confirmed for A17!
    Last edited by Roland; 07-12-2018 at 10:24 PM.

Any info one what type of bad a$$ specs are needed to play the game on all high settings? I cant even play or default settings

EDIT: I never get an answer or even any real info about it. I cant come close to fully enjoying the graphics.
    Last edited by JayzenFreeze; 07-12-2018 at 10:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by A Nice Cup of Tea View Post
    Shields and spears confirmed for A17!
    And that's a "promise"!

I still wish there was a word filter for the forums.

Tracker
    Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    And that's a "promise"!
    you jest, but could you imagine a spartan mod? imagine that horde night!

Guppycurian Forum Whore Guppycur's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TSBX View Post
    I still wish there was a word filter for the forums.
    Which word?

I miss the days of playing buggy alpha builds. I would normally without fail play non stop with any and all bugs. I would rather play the buggy builds Madmole is playing than wait for this long drought. I will be playing no matter how it is released.

Has the hype train left the depot yet?
    Also I haven't had time to read through this entire thread which is insanely long. Does anyone know if water physics have been changed?

Quote Originally Posted by ltbrunt View Post
    I miss the days of playing buggy alpha builds. I would normally without fail play non stop with any and all bugs. I would rather play the buggy builds Madmole is playing than wait for this long drought. I will be playing no matter how it is released.

Also I haven't had time to read through this entire thread which is insanely long. Does anyone know if water physics have been changed?
    I tried playing my saved early alpha versions to see what it started out like but it dont work now. I started playing day 1. I remember when inventory was like minecraft, I was unsure of them changing it at first.

Quote Originally Posted by ltbrunt View Post

As far as I know water physics haven't changed, I'm not even sure they've decided upon a system to replace it with.

Fun Pimps Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by rdunham3 View Post
    Alpha code should nearly always be really ugly. If it isn't, you put too much effort into it. It'll nearly all be thrown out and replaced by prettier code once you're more sure what you want the code to really do, and how. I'd be more surprised if he wasn't able to achieve massive gains. I'd bet he finds many more places to optimize once they get past the "does all this new a18 code work without crashing?" stage...
    I'm not a fan of ever writing ugly temp code. I've seen far too many case of programmers throwing code together, never going back to it and it ships in a product like that.

Writing decent code with basic optimizations in the first place is not hard once you memorize the techniques. I do it on auto pilot as I go and for the small amount of extra time up front, I don't have to go back and remember what I was doing, fix it all and retest.