Thread: Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Quote Originally Posted by sillls View Post
    Sorry but I don't understand.
    Horde 14 Day random
    First night

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Deluxe View Post
    Horde 14 Day random
    First night
    your settings were you sat it to happen at frequency of 1 day (which can and did happen on day 1) and the range set for 14 means there can be a 1-14 day variance.

so your settings were not saying day 14 horde on day 1.

the first time it was placed in game i tested that and damn it...

i got horde on first day as well only i started with a 7 day variance. so on day 1 i was only at gs3 and that was only 2 or so zombies for the wave.

we just didnt offer the right sacrifices to the RNG GODS.

Colony Founder
    Horde 14 Day random
    First night
    Quote Originally Posted by unholyjoe View Post
    your settings were you sat it to happen at frequency of 1 day (which can and did happen on day 1) and the range set for 14 means there can be a 1-14 day variance.

so your settings were not saying day 14 horde on day 1.

the first time it was placed in game i tested that and damn it...

i got horde on first day as well only i started with a 7 day variance. so on day 1 i was only at gs3 and that was only 2 or so zombies for the wave.

we just didnt offer the right sacrifices to the RNG GODS.
    Ah... He got it backwards. An easy mistake to make.

Thanks smerf!

But maybe Royal Deluxe really hates himself??? 00

Last edited by sillls; 4 Hours Ago at 09:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by meganoth View Post
    They can't get at your money anyway without transaction numbers, but your account can be used in other ways. Depends on the motive of the attacker but the potential to get you into trouble is there.

That's the fallacy, If they know enough rules about your password, they can easily brute force the unknown bits. For example they don't need to know that 'G' is 7 or 8 or 3, they just will try out all 10 numbers.

Nothing I said isn't known to the script kiddies who do this on a regular basis.
    The Royal Gronkanoth Deluxe Meg / et al: If I may... (and, maybe this will explain the name mash-up...)

I believe both of you are on the right track. Humans are not prone to randomness. And security should not overly hinder the purpose for which the security is required.

Having an algorithm for passwords IS a good idea. Especially if it's for the person(s) to remember and utilize, but not prone to 'familiarization' or patterns. (This is true for short AND long passwords, just might be applicable to words more than characters in the case of long passwords.)

And length is becoming paramount. While utilizing extra characters (and differences) is better for security - it might not be better for humans. (NIST last Oct showed it's actually worse - because more people resort to writing them down.) But allowing for longer passwords not only increases security exponentially - it allows more types of 'friendly' algorithms for human use.

https://crambler.com/password-securi...er-complexity/

And, Gronk, while longer passwords of 'words' does increase the risk - the amount is infinitesimal. (See link above) Dictionary attacks work well on short passwords because the number of characters limits the number of words that need to be checked. Since 1,2, and quite a few 3 letter words are excluded from most dictionaries, only 4-8 letter words need be examined. And, at most only 2 words. (btw - we are intentionally leaving out multiple languages...)

If you increase the number of allowable characters, you have increased the number of words using more characters, more combinations of words, AND the possibility of humans now using those 1,2, and 3 letter words! Also, logons do not work like they do in the movies. A dictionary attack has to supply the entire password ALL AT ONCE. Not word by word. AND, almost all login processes now have timeout associated with incorrect attempts. Even with massive bot-net networks - long passwords will take a REALLY long time to crack.

But, the BEST thing anyone can do - is make sure that they don't use passwords repeatedly. Bad guys (mostly large criminal enterprises and nation states these days) and 'good guys' now have access to HUGE databases that have collated all information from 70+ major breaches in the past two decades.

Meaning they use AI to examine all records from one breach and compare it to another. If there is any kind of similar information in them (name, address, phone number, online name, security questions and answer, etc.) - they link them. AND, then ALL of that is used when a new company's data is exfiltrated!

That is why it's not even a good idea to even use the same security questions from different sites. AND, keep in mind, security question answers do not even have to be related to the question! (Think about it...)

Stay tuned next month when we cover rainbow tables, encryption (and cypher suites), and steganography. (Steganography is actually kind of cool/fun... Unless you're like Roland (or me), and REALLY, REALLY like math; then maybe rainbow tables and cypher suites would be a lot of fun.)

QB
    Last edited by Quantum Blue; 3 Hours Ago at 10:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Gronk View Post
    One solution, if we're intent on using splatmaps, is to have the server do all the heavy lifting of terrain generation and only pass the relevant tile data to the client upon request.

The client has no need to keep a copy of the map which is good from a cheater perspective because they can't just look at the splatmap data and find all of the good spots and also good from a generation perspective because the client doesn't have to generate or retrieve the map data.

That's still quite a bit of data to pass at runtime but it's certainly not going to measured in gigabytes.
    That could work, how long though would it take for the server to be booted up? Then again i guess thats not as big of an issue over people trying to join the server, once its up its up.

Scavenger
    i really really hate it when webpages like github want to force me using special characters in my passwords.
    I have a simple system i use for all my passwords.

As a example (with a diferent formula)
    Github would be

7 for G
    i overtaken from github
    33 as a string i add allways on this place
    hub again overtaken from the webpage

= 7i33hub

This way i can have different passwords for all my 50 Websites and other stuff i use passwords.
    But NOOOOOOO a very smart ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ of programmer means i am not allowed to do that.

So i set a password i am sure i forget in 2 months and i will never again be able to access my stuff

Rant over

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    ohh sorry, thought i wrote in my mod thread. Anyway
    Use Keepass ;-) Saves all passwords you ever need with the needed complexity: adding the security of not using the same or similar passwords for different sites. You can even backup the file and read on your mobile. After using the same password for each site i do now use strong generated passwords for each forum/homepage/etc.
    I dont even have to remember them, cause i will just copy and paste out of my keepass archive. You might give that a try.

What in the name of the God of Rocks did the conversation topic turn into??

Not much of anything really. Probably don't need to bother the God of Rocks. God of Dirtclods will do.

So...... how about them new books we have coming?

Quote Originally Posted by madmole View Post
    I've already designed nearly 100 perk books. The old perk books will be deleted. The new perk books are not temporary perks, but permanent once you read them. There are collections of books, typically 5 to 8 volumes. Each volume is a unique perk but if you collect the entire set you get a special collector bonus perk that is more OP than the others.

Here are a couple sets:
    Night Stalker Books
    Night stalker Vol 1 Do 5% more sneak damage at night.
    Night stalker Vol 2 Sneak 5% better at night.
    Night stalker Vol 3 Knives do 5% more damage at night.
    Night stalker Vol 4 Never encumbered at night.
    Night stalker Vol 5 Bows do 5% more damage at night.
    Night stalker Vol 6 Gain 5% more xp from sneak kills at night
    Night Stalker Collection Perk Do an extra 50% sneak damage to sleeping victims at night.
    Lucky looter Books
    Lucky looter Vol 1 Find more dukes in loot
    Lucky looter Vol 2 Find more ammo in loot
    Lucky looter Vol 3 Find more brass in loot
    Lucky looter Vol 4 Find more books in loot
    Lucky looter Vol 5 Find more food in loot
    Lucky looter Vol 6 Find more medical items in loot
    Lucky Looter Collector Perk Find more mods in loot

i really really hate it when webpages like github want to force me using special characters in my passwords.
    I have a simple system i use for all my passwords.

As a example (with a diferent formula)
    Github would be

7 for G
    i overtaken from github
    33 as a string i add allways on this place
    hub again overtaken from the webpage

= 7i33hub

This way i can have different passwords for all my 50 Websites and other stuff i use passwords.
    But NOOOOOOO a very smart ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ of programmer means i am not allowed to do that.

So i set a password i am sure i forget in 2 months and i will never again be able to access my stuff

Rant over

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    ohh sorry, thought i wrote in my mod thread. Anyway
    Why don't you just do something like this:

String special_char = "";
    switch (your_password.length mod 10) {
    case 1: special_char = "!"; break;
    case 2: special_char = "@"; break;
    case 3: special_char = "#"; break;
    case 4: special_char = "$"; break;
    case 5: special_char = "%"; break;
    case 6: special_char = "^"; break;
    case 7: special_char = "&"; break;
    case 8: special_char = "*"; break;
    case 9: special_char = "("; break;
    case 0: special_char = ")"; break;
    }
    your_password += special_char;

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    Not much of anything really. Probably don't need to bother the God of Rocks. God of Dirtclods will do.

Sounds so much better. Looking forward to it.

I didn't use the old magic scrolls, mainly because I couldn't be bothered working out whether I had the prerquisite ability to gain the perk while Neptune was in the third house of Antioc. Those look much simpler... I might actually use those.

Here , I think...the God of Horse Apples would be much more fitting and appropriate!(if you have seen Shawshank Redemption you know what I mean...and if you haven't...SHAME on you!)

He's got to add an Anarchist Cookbook Volume in there. Truly a must, truly...

Quote Originally Posted by Demonoid74 View Post
    Here , I think...the God of Horse Apples would be much more fitting and appropriate!(if you have seen Shawshank Redemption you know what I mean...and if you haven't...SHAME on you!)
    Shamway Redemption is what you mean bud, Shawshank Redemption is a legend

Maybe you guys should make a thread about passwords and post there.