Thread: Game mechanics involving "sleepers" that pop up in POIs

Game mechanics involving "sleepers" that pop up in POIs

To be clear; I'm talking about when you enter a POI and start taking out zombies. I think some call them sleepers because you can sometimes sneak in and line up a good headshot and kill them outright. But other times they all wake up and pursue you.

Here's the question: What is the game mechanic by which, say, I enter a small wooden store and wake up some sleepers and have to run outside to get space to take them all on; they are now falling off of the roof coming after me etc. Say I take them all out and return to the POI I just left and it is full up again with sleepers. It has repopulated them. Sometimes the same mix sometimes a new crowd.

Seems to me that this is likely to happen if I exit and re-enter any POI. Specifically, what is the game measuring when it decides to repopulate a POI with a fresh set of sleepers?

If I can stay inside the walls of the POI and not exit it and I kill them off then they generally do NOT repopulate while I'm standing inside. It's when I leave/exit and return, correct?

Is it a distance thing or a time thing that resets them? Does anyone know how the game calculates this mechanic?

Also, there seems to be no end sometimes, I enter, wake them up, leave, fight them off, re-enter, wake up a fresh set, leave, ad nauseum.

It's my understanding that this is a bug. If you exit the bounds of the POI, then the sleepers will reset for any you did not kill while in the bounds of the POI. Say for instance a POI has five sleeper cells. If you kill two while in the POI and then run out, then three will still spawn inside. At least that is how it seems to work for me.
    Hope this helps.

Colony Founder
    That game mechanics is called: unfinished and buggy code.

Hunter
    Yes, if you stay in that sleeper volume and kill them all they will not respawn for I think a week default.

Thanks for the quick response everyone.

Good to hear that it is a bug; Really gets difficult at advanced stages when you just want to loot some stuff and not waste half a game day kililng and re-killing the same squads. :-)

So I'm not imagining it; if you can stay in the space that they spawn in and kill everything w/o leaving and re-entering the space you can negate the re-spawn behavior - bypass the bug.

What you describe is what I run into usually. If I exit the POI boundary, all sleepers will respawn when I re-enter.

Whether this is a bug to fix, or working as intended and needs to be tweaked I can't say. It would make more sense to have only the ones you didn't kill respawn, but that's not what I see normally. The way it works right now causes issues, and I end up going up high to kill zeds in POI's such as on roof or hack through a wall, just so I can kill them and not be forced to run out and cause a re-spawn.

/V - Tutorial - Dart trap & tests

Refugee
    In my experience it's not just the boundaries that seem to be bugged. I can enter a room and carefully scan for zekes and see nothing, then hit a block and turn around to find a room full of them. I've had moments where I kill a sleeper, only to have another one immediately take its place.

The mechanics as they exist now are pretty anti-fun, especially coupled with the new feral spawns added in A16. As the day count goes up, more and more of those zombies that spawn are empowered. Looting nearly any POI becomes far too much of a hassle knowing I'm going to have zero counterplay available when a mess of them spawn directly behind me.

I understand the game is in alpha stage, this just happens to be a rather bad patch to play on as it is. Sleepers are a cool concept, ferals are a cool concept, but bugged code has made the two a recipe for disaster.

It works nicely if you stay inside and kill them all. One question, how do you kill irradiateds and ferals in such a small space? They move quickly and regenerate health. Tough call but I run out and usually do not return because I only have a crossbow and a pistol. Level 43 at the moment.

Refugee
    Quote Originally Posted by bayaholic View Post
    It works nicely if you stay inside and kill them all. One question, how do you kill irradiateds and ferals in such a small space? They move quickly and regenerate health. Tough call but I run out and usually do not return because I only have a crossbow and a pistol. Level 43 at the moment.
    This pretty much speaks to the point I made about the combination of new mechanics (feral/irradiated spawns + sleepers). An easy fix would be to limit sleeper spawns to normal zombie types only, apart from special instances (E.G. radiation zone on the top floor of the Pharma tower).

It's not so much a bug as much as how it works right now. The next patch should see trigger area distances increased, which may solve the issue. But it is intended that any you haven't killed will respawn when you leave and re-enter the PoI.

Placing a bedroll will only stop the respawn timer, but not the respawn of unkilled zombies. Respawn timer is every 5 days.

Placing a bedroll in a dungeon PoI won't prevent all the trigger areas from respawning, so occupy at your own risk.

I like the idea of just normal zeds spawning as sleepers..
    What are dungeon areas in 7DTD? Or where is probably more like it? Not sure I understand dungeon POIs.

Colony Founder
    What are dungeon areas in 7DTD? Or where is probably more like it? Not sure I understand dungeon POIs.
    There is (well, was) sewers & subway station prefab for Neverganez. I am not sure if it works with with latest vesrsion. That might be fun with sleepers. But underground zombies pretty fast turn the underground area into swiss cheese by tunneling everywhere.

Hunter
    The teleporting around is pretty fun too. I used to think the game was just cleverer than me when I would check all around me and then as soon as I look in a box for 5 seconds I get hit. Then I played online and could see them just appearing right on top of my friend while he was looking at things or climbing ladders. If that bit was intentional it needs to be intentionally changed.

Sleepers are really cool if they can get them working right and reduce their frequency, replace some with more outdoor crowds. When you explore a town and see 3-4 zombies, but know 100% that any building you enter is going to be full of sleepers(and just as you finish them off a GPS horde is going to start smashing the walls down, but I digress) it does take a bit of the fun and excitement out.

My opinion is that once the sleeper volume is triggered, it should not re-trigger until after the cooldown timer has expired. Spawn the zombies in an inactive state, and then it's done until the next cycle.

That being said, it doesn't currently work this way...

-A

Dungeon PoI's are the large ones with a psuedo-path built into them to explore. It can be underground like Red Mesa, or a tower like Higashi Tower. These PoIs use multiple trigger areas.