Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zombie spawning, definitive answer?

Reconstructionist
    Quote Originally Posted by Boidster View Post
    Or add a zombie repeller item to be crafted. It should be pretty freakin' expensive to build, but confer a 50x50 square (bedrock to sky) protection zone. Cannot be wrenched up, only destroyed. And only the most-recently-placed one counts, like with the bedroll.

Maybe 2 or 3 levels of repeller - 50x50, 75x75, and 100x100. Need to be seriously expensive, though, so even the smallest one is a mid-game target, not something you can get on day 4.
    It doesn't have to be expensive to make. It could be expensive to run and maintain. The only downside is, the can then drop the bed roll protection in place of said item's protection.

Quote Originally Posted by Nootcaase View Post
    It doesn't have to be expensive to make. It could be expensive to run and maintain.
    That's an interesting idea. So like maybe it requires an engine and you have to feed it gas? That would be an interesting way to let the player have multiple "active" repellers, but only the ones that are running (and consuming gas) are really working.

I was thinking that they'd work just like the bedroll, only bigger. I figured they should be expensive to build so that a) you can't get one in the early game and b) you will have an incentive to not place one down until you're sure of your base's location. Maybe that's too restrictive though. If only the most-recently-placed one works (like the bedroll), then I guess they could be wrenchable so you can pick 'em up and move to a new base.

The only downside is, the can then drop the bed roll protection in place of said item's protection.
    I was thinking that the bedroll is the early-game zombie repeller, just like now. It's enough to protect a small-ish base, but if you want to go building castles, you're going to have to grind for non-trivial amounts of rare components to build a repeller.

Reconstructionist
    That's an interesting idea. So like maybe it requires an engine and you have to feed it gas? That would be an interesting way to let the player have multiple "active" repellers, but only the ones that are running (and consuming gas) are really working.

I was thinking that they'd work just like the bedroll, only bigger. I figured they should be expensive to build so that a) you can't get one in the early game and b) you will have an incentive to not place one down until you're sure of your base's location. Maybe that's too restrictive though. If only the most-recently-placed one works (like the bedroll), then I guess they could be wrenchable so you can pick 'em up and move to a new base.
    Making a running maintenance thing in my opinion makes it more "realistic". I use quotes because how realistic can we get within a zombie game?

And it could be hidden either behind a skill like a work bench, or in a book. Either way I could see it attached to science. With the ranges tied to the overall quality of the machine. Since science is one of the more ignored skills, and harder to level because of that, I could see balance in that. And it keeps them for sure fro. Spawning t her, but also deters wander hordes. Horde night is free game, and there could be special zombies that show up in the horde with the purpose of tracking to that object to destroy it.

I was thinking that the bedroll is the early-game zombie repeller, just like now. It's enough to protect a small-ish base, but if you want to go building castles, you're going to have to grind for non-trivial amounts of rare components to build a repeller.
    On one hand I think that is not a terrible idea, on another, it defeats the purpose of building a base for them to just spawn inside the walls. I do understand limitations of the console and so if you don't give the system the space to spawn outside the vase then ok sure. Let them spawn in.

Mini rant aside, you do need a safe place so a bed roll indicating that is not a bad idea.

Refugee
    Why not just get a hoe and till the dirt? There's your zombie repeller