Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [XBOX][Crash-Save File Deleted] Save File Deleted After Crash?

Refugee

[XBOX][Crash-Save File Deleted] Save File Deleted After Crash?

I can't get past the character load screen because everything seems to be gone except my game name, so I'm guessing at my settings somewhat.

Single Player (cheats enabled)
    Random gen
    Digital download
    No DLC
    Character: Christina???
    Adventurer???
    Run at night
    Normal aggression
    16 hours of daylight??
    Drop everything
    60-second memory
    Normal spawning
    100% durability
    30-day loot respawn
    24-hour airdrops
    60-minute 24-hour cycle???
    Day 92???

My game crashed and when I went back to reload it I can't get past the screen where I pick a save file. I click on the file name and the game freezes. The game data synced when I restarted, but I can't tell if there is a corrupt save, or the save was deleted altogether.

This is very frustrating because it is the fourth time I have lost a game or portion of a game due to crashes. I had part of a world (my base) reset to day one on Navezgane, and my current random gen world has partially reset (always my base) twice before. Thankfully I had cheats enabled, so I just spent some significant amount of time cheating back in the items I lost and the materials to rebuild the lost portions of the base. This time, however, I cannot even load the game up and I fear it is just gone. Hours upon hours of work. The game is crazy fun, it's like Minecraft for adults, but I can't waste anymore time on it when I have to constantly worry that my investment will disappear. Multiple saves need to be an option, although that doesn't help me now.

I downloaded the game from the XBox store, and I don't recall any mention of this being in an Alpha or Beta state. The number of crashes and the dire consequences of a crash suggest that this game was put out very prematurely. If I recall correctly (I can check if needed) I paid $59.99 for the game, which is what a triple-A title goes for, but the game appears far from finished. Even if I paid less for the game, I think charging anything at all to be what is essentially a tester/guinea pig is unfair. I wish I had known the dangers before I invested so much time and frustration. I only found out about all of the problems once I began experiencing them for myself and started reading multiple forums. Again, I would love to play this game when the danger of lost or corrupt files has been completely solved. Until then, it will never be a 100% enjoyable experience for me.

If there is any chance of regaining my save, I would appreciate your assistance. I might press on from where I left off, but I cannot and will not start another game with the threat of a crash delete/corrupt hanging over my head constantly.

Thanks.

Console Community Manager Clare's Avatar
    Hi press14english,

When your game freezes, is it freezing on the building environment screen? If the name is there then the save has not been deleted but it is having trouble loading.

If it is freezing in the building environment stage or any loading screen, the game may have desynced from the XB1. This can happen if the XB1 received any updates in the past while. The first step I would recommend resyncing the XB1 while preserving apps and data (this should not effect save files, but I would recommend backing them up just in case). Then clearing the cache of your console if you have not done so recently - this can be done by shutting down the console and unplugging it for 5 mins, before rebooting. Please let me know if this works, if not, I will investigate other options.

I completely understand the frustration these issues can cause for players. From what you are describing you have expirenced multiple MD5 errors in your saves. Myself and the team know how frustrating and disheartening this bug can be for players, and the team are working to eliminate the remaining triggers of the MD5 error. All information on this error can be found here - https://7daystodie.com/forums/showth...ng-(MD5-Issue) - there is also a workaround players have found posted at the end of the first post in that thread which players have said helps them avoid MD5 errors entirely.

The game is sold as a complete ported version of A14.7 from PC (with new items being added once they are complete on PC and TFP sends them to be ported them over), it is not considered alpha or beta on console. I believe the current cost of the game is $29.99 (usd) on the XB1 store. While we appreciate players reporting issues or bugs they find to us here on the forums we do not consider any of our players to be testers or guinea pigs. The console team are working to eliminate bugs and issues within the game and continue to release fixes with each patch.

Hopefully my suggestion above can help you access your game. If not, as I said, please let me know and I will look at other troubleshooting options.
    Clare

Refugee
    Quote Originally Posted by Clare View Post
    Hi press14english,

When your game freezes, is it freezing on the building environment screen? If the name is there then the save has not been deleted but it is having trouble loading.

If it is freezing in the building environment stage or any loading screen, the game may have desynced from the XB1. This can happen if the XB1 received any updates in the past while. The first step I would recommend resyncing the XB1 while preserving apps and data (this should not effect save files, but I would recommend backing them up just in case). Then clearing the cache of your console if you have not done so recently - this can be done by shutting down the console and unplugging it for 5 mins, before rebooting. Please let me know if this works, if not, I will investigate other options.

I completely understand the frustration these issues can cause for players. From what you are describing you have expirenced multiple MD5 errors in your saves. Myself and the team know how frustrating and disheartening this bug can be for players, and the team are working to eliminate the remaining triggers of the MD5 error. All information on this error can be found here - https://7daystodie.com/forums/showth...ng-(MD5-Issue) - there is also a workaround players have found posted at the end of the first post in that thread which players have said helps them avoid MD5 errors entirely.

The game is sold as a complete ported version of A14.7 from PC (with new items being added once they are complete on PC and TFP sends them to be ported them over), it is not considered alpha or beta on console. I believe the current cost of the game is $29.99 (usd) on the XB1 store. While we appreciate players reporting issues or bugs they find to us here on the forums we do not consider any of our players to be testers or guinea pigs. The console team are working to eliminate bugs and issues within the game and continue to release fixes with each patch.

Hopefully my suggestion above can help you access your game. If not, as I said, please let me know and I will look at other troubleshooting options.
    Clare
    The game originally crashed in the middle of game play. I have repeatedly restarted my XBox and reloaded the game. I can get to the character load screen, but when I select my character the game freezes and will not accept any further commands. It doesn't freeze on the building environment screen, it never even gets that far. After my first experience with losing progress due to a crash, I read this and many other forums. Since then I have routinely re-synced and cleared cache every hour, sometimes more often. I literally set a timer. At this point, unless you have archived versions of the cloud saves that you could restore me from, I think my game is just gone. Nothing I've tried seems to work.

I did check yesterday after I posted and I did indeed only pay $29.99 for the game; my apologies for the inaccurate statement. Price is not really an issue for me, I only mentioned it because I felt a full-priced game should be virtually devoid of bugs. I wouldn't expect a more affordable game to have serious bugs either, just because it's cheaper. I'm just very frustrated at the loss of time and the fact that I can't (I know it's a choice, but it's the only reasonable choice) play this game anymore with the threat of game loss ever looming. I had completely given up playing Destiny 2 and the latest Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty games because I found 7 Days to Die so engrossing. Returning to my other games now has left me feeling empty and unfulfilled. They simply lack the level of engagement that 7 Days to Die offers and seem lackluster to me now. I have been an avid gamer for decades and I now no longer hurry home to get to my console. I know that sounds dramatic, but it's true. Your game has become my new hobby and addiction and I feel a little lost without it. I hope these problems are eventually resolved as I would love to return to the game. I'm not sure how I will ever find out when that happens short of searching forums which seems an incredible investment of time when I have no idea when a fix might be found.

Thanks for your time in researching this. If you have any other ideas, I will gladly try them.

Refugee
    Hi press14english,

Clare
    The game originally crashed in the middle of game play. I have repeatedly restarted my XBox and reloaded the game. I can get to the character load screen, but when I select my character the game freezes and will not accept any further commands. It doesn't freeze on the building environment screen, it never even gets that far. After my first experience with losing progress due to a crash, I read this and many other forums. Since then I have routinely re-synced and cleared cache every hour, sometimes more often. I literally set a timer. At this point, unless you have archived versions of the cloud saves that you could restore me from, I think my game is just gone. Nothing I've tried seems to work.

I did check yesterday after I posted and I did indeed only pay $29.99 for the game; my apologies for the inaccurate statement. Price is not really an issue for me, I only mentioned it because I felt a full-priced game should be virtually devoid of bugs. I wouldn't expect a more affordable game to have serious bugs either, just because it's cheaper. I'm just very frustrated at the loss of time and the fact that I can't (I know it's a choice, but it's the only reasonable choice) play this game anymore with the threat of game loss ever looming. I had completely given up playing Destiny 2 and the latest Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty games because I found 7 Days to Die so engrossing. Returning to my other games now has left me feeling empty and unfulfilled. They simply lack the level of engagement that 7 Days to Die offers and seem lackluster to me now. I have been an avid gamer for decades and I now no longer hurry home to get to my console. I know that sounds dramatic, but it's true. Your game has become my new hobby and addiction and I feel a little lost without it. I hope these problems are eventually resolved as I would love to return to the game. I'm not sure how I will ever find out when that happens short of searching forums which seems an incredible investment of time when I have no idea when a fix might be found.

Thanks for your time in researching this. If you have any other ideas, I will gladly try them.

Hi Press14English,

I had not heard of the game crashing at that point before so I am refering to the team to see if they have expirence with this and any suggestions for troubleshooting. I will post back here if they have any suggestions.

Can you confirm for me that since this started occurring you have tried the cache clearing and resyncing methods again?

Can you also confirm if you're seeing this character screen in your older saves? Generally this screen does not show unless you are creating a save or joining a splitscreen game.

Clare
    Last edited by Clare; 1 Week Ago at 10:34 AM.

Refugee
    Hi Press14English,

I had not heard of the game crashing at that point before so I am refering to the team to see if they have expirence with this and any suggestions for troubleshooting. I will post back here if they have any suggestions.

Can you confirm for me that since this started occurring you have tried the cache clearing and resyncing methods again?

Can you also confirm if you're seeing this character screen in your older saves? Generally this screen does not show unless you are creating a save or joining a splitscreen game.

Clare
    The last successful load of this character was on 11/26/17. Since then, I have shut down the console completely, including disconnecting it from the power source, several times a day in hopes that it might somehow progress further in the load process with each attempt. I have not yet met with any success. I am familiar with the re-syncing methods listed in the post you referred to (and provided a link to) and have already tried sTokedRecon's method, but nothing changed. I was still unable to progress past the screen where I select the character (game) to load. Unfortunately, since sTokedRecon's method involves deleting the console save file in order to force the game to re-sync with the last (and presumably good) cloud save, any hope that the console save might somehow be salvaged is gone. That's why I mentioned the possibility that there is an archived cloud save prior to 11/26 on your server that might be restored. I realize that is probably not a realistic expectation, however. Just to provide you with some assurance that I followed the method outlined properly, I can verify that I employed it successfully after several previous (and in-game) crashes. It worked on each occasion with the only side effect being that I lost a few seconds or minutes of game activity (i.e. placing or removing items in the world) due to the game only saving to the cloud at periodic intervals. When I first discovered that method, I thought my problems were gone forever, but it did not seem to work after my latest crash for some reason. Perhaps the cloud save was corrupted somehow?

I'm not sure what you're referring to when you ask me to confirm that I saw this screen in my previous saves. The screen I'm referring to is one that appears every time you start the game. I press the start button at the title screen (the small round button with 3 parallel, horizontal lines on the XBox controller), then select continue, then it takes me to a screen with the various characters (games, save files, maps, worlds, however you customarily refer to it, but it has a list of the names that I assigned to each map generation the first time I created that world). This is the screen that I cannot progress past and this is where the game freezes when I select the save file we have been discussing. Typically, after selecting a save file from this screen, I would be taken to another screen where I could either change the game and/or modded options, or start the game immediately. Does that help answer your question, or am I misunderstanding you completely? Since there is only one save file, I'm not sure what you meant by "previous saves" unless you were referring to times I loaded a game previous to the crash. What I describe above is what I saw during every game session I played after creating a world, however. It is not the same screen you see when creating a character. I would send a screen shot if I had the ability or knew how to capture video on my console.

Reconstructionist
    Quote Originally Posted by press14english View Post
    If I recall correctly (I can check if needed) I paid $59.99 for the game, which is what a triple-A title goes for, but the game appears far from finished.
    Thanks.
    if you paid 59.99 for the game you got ripped off i bought it the day it came out on PS4 from the PS store at 34.99 so you got scammed or something or Microsoft is just plain greedy

Hi Press14English,

I am sorry for the confusion when you said characters I thought you had meant the screen where you chose your character skin before the game starts. Thank you for clarifying where your game is freezing and what you have tried. I shall pass this extra and clarified info onto the team and re-ping them about the saves freezing as I didn't hear back from from them yesterday. I will get back to you asap.

Edit: Sorry I forgot to add before, but we do not have access to player save data. There are no 7DTD servers, all data is maintained on the hosts console. But as you can see your save name, I have hope that the save itself isn't deleted.

Also, sorry if I missed it above, but what is your save called? And did you happen to install a large number of lights before the game crashed / do you remember the area you were in when you crashed and what it looked like?

Clare

Edit2: After speaking to the Team, they are suggesting you try to launch the save file offline to see if it can boot. If it can't boot, are you able to create a new save and play it offline?

Sometimes when the game freezes while trying to load, it's because there is trouble syncing cloud data on the XB1 that can cause a save corruption. The team suggest maybe delete the saves and user data locally (as far as I can remember sTokedRecon's method does not delete user data) via the manage game option and then re-pull the data from the cloud. If this is what happened, there is a risk that the corrupted save can auto sync to the cloud as on XB1 it syncs quickly. But hopefully this is not the case.
    Last edited by Clare; 1 Week Ago at 03:08 PM.

Refugee

I’m facing the same issue

I’m facing the exact same issue. I was playing a random gen private game world which I had spent some time playing (100 hours+) and was in an Xbox Live party with my friend. This is when the Xbox Live parties stopped working for a short while so my friend hard reset his Xbox and advised me to do the same.

So I quit my save and returned to the main menu of 7 Days to Die. After I had returned to the main menu I hard reset my Xbox by holding the power button down for a few seconds. Then, when I came back onto my Xbox and tried to load up my world as soon as I clicked on my save (which I had named Cameron), my entire game froze and I was forced to quit 7 Days to Die because I literally couldn’t press anything.

Now, whenever I try and load up the save the description box which normally displays information such as game difficulty, last time the save was loaded, daylight length etc. Just says “descriptiontext” and I cannot load the save up without the entire game freezing.

This is very frustrating and considering this game is a few years old I would expect these drastic errors and game breaking bugs to have been fixed by now. This is a highly enjoyable and engaging game but to play it is a very bitter sweet experience as there is always the thought that your world could become unplayable at any moment, and all your time and hard work is for nothing.

Hi Sweaty Cam,

I am sorry to hear you are facing the same issue. I understand how frustrating bugs like this are for players. Can you tell me if you tried any of the workarounds I had suggested to Press14English above?

Clare

Refugee
    Hi Sweaty Cam,

I am sorry to hear you are facing the same issue. I understand how frustrating bugs like this are for players. Can you tell me if you tried any of the workarounds I had suggested to Press14English above?

Clare
    I deleted my saved data from the Xbox directly then relaunched the game to see if it would obtain an un-corrupted version of my save when it re-synced but it could only retrieve the corrupt version. Can you please tell me the other steps in a list format so I can try them?
    Thanks

Refugee
    Hi Press14English,

I am sorry for the confusion when you said characters I thought you had meant the screen where you chose your character skin before the game starts. Thank you for clarifying where your game is freezing and what you have tried. I shall pass this extra and clarified info onto the team and re-ping them about the saves freezing as I didn't hear back from from them yesterday. I will get back to you asap.

Edit: Sorry I forgot to add before, but we do not have access to player save data. There are no 7DTD servers, all data is maintained on the hosts console. But as you can see your save name, I have hope that the save itself isn't deleted.

Also, sorry if I missed it above, but what is your save called? And did you happen to install a large number of lights before the game crashed / do you remember the area you were in when you crashed and what it looked like?

Clare

Edit2: After speaking to the Team, they are suggesting you try to launch the save file offline to see if it can boot. If it can't boot, are you able to create a new save and play it offline?

Sometimes when the game freezes while trying to load, it's because there is trouble syncing cloud data on the XB1 that can cause a save corruption. The team suggest maybe delete the saves and user data locally (as far as I can remember sTokedRecon's method does not delete user data) via the manage game option and then re-pull the data from the cloud. If this is what happened, there is a risk that the corrupted save can auto sync to the cloud as on XB1 it syncs quickly. But hopefully this is not the case.
    I wasn't sure if my game was saving to the XBox cloud or your servers. I guess I know now!

My save is called "Jerika" which is what I named it locally upon creating that world. The only light sources I have placed in the game world are candles and torches up to this point. Any other lighting that exists was generated when the world was created. When the game crashed I was in close proximity to my base which is where 99% of the items I placed in the world exist. I haven't strayed very far yet. I wanted to have a serious fortress to operate out of before I ventured out. My base is in a forest biome very near a Trader Joel's and a main road which is the boarder of a wasteland zone which houses a decent-sized city. The city is about a 2-minute run from my base, so those are the major constructs in the area (and about 8 small cabins). Aside from forest and wasteland, I hadn't discovered any other biomes. Not sure if certain biomes have known issues...

I will try your offline suggestions and respond ASAP. Thanks!

Hi Press14English,

Hopefully the offline suggestion yields some clues! I shall keep an eye out for your update!

Clare

Refugee
    Hi Press14English,

Hopefully the offline suggestion yields some clues! I shall keep an eye out for your update!

Clare
    Unfortunately not... I took my XBox offline and disconnected/reconnected it from/to power. I had the same results when I attempted to load my save: the entire game froze, not accepting any further commands, and never left that screen. It did not proceed to a load screen. I had to do a hard reset to get back in to check the second part of your question. The answer to that one is that I can create a new, random gen world while offline. I spawned in a desert biome right on top of a cactus, btw. I was half dead before I realized what was happening, hahahaha!

I'll stay tuned for any further suggestions, although I suspect we are running out of ideas. I want to reiterate that I will be right back into this game 100% once this problem is fixed. If you have some sort of listserv for notification of bug fixes, sign me up!

Hi Press14English,

We unfortunately don't have a listserv, all patch notes are shared via the News and Announcements section of the Forum. There was a new patch released, but as it seems your save may have been corrupted by the methods explained by the team above where cloud syncing can cause game save corruption, I am not sure if the patch will change anything for you with your save that causes freeze. Especially if you can create a new game without freezing when not connected to the cloud.

I am very sorry this have happened to your save, I do not think there is anything more I can suggest to help. However if I think of anything, or if when chatting to the team they have a suggestion, I will of course update this post asap.

Clare