Thread: Map sizes and radiation zone??

Refugee

Map sizes and radiation zone??

Curious on the map sizes. My thought is that there 2000 by 2000 meters. Cus the radiation zone starts after that. But just started a new game and spawned at 2200n, 350w so can any give some insight?? A litte confused. Thought you can't go into radiation zone.. I've always died in a few seconds
    Last edited by Maniakadam1; 1 Week Ago at 12:11 AM. Reason: Misspelled

RNG = Circle with 10 000m radius

Refugee
    So if I was in the center 0,0. I can travel 10,000m in either direction??? Jesus had no clue it was close to that big😂😂

314 Squarekilometers

Inventor
    10,000 if you are on pc. It is only 4000 on console.

Community Moderator SylenThunder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by crazywildfire View Post
    10,000 if you are on pc. It is only 4000 on console.
    This is the correct answer. Although the only reason I can think of to make the map smaller on the console is to save hard disk space. On the PC, maps can take up close to 32GB pretty easy.

Ahh ok, was not aware of that difference

Inventor
    As you can see it has already been cut back way much for console but in my opinion and I'm not going to pretend I'm a expert or know what I'm talking about because I might not be seeing the bigger picture. I feel the console with it only being able to have 4 people on at once and I don't see that changing but if the rwg maps could be tweaked some to get better outcome the maps could be a little smaller and the digging to -55 or whatever it is stops at 0 I feel the console version could run a little better then it does. Many people are not going to agree or like if that happens but does 4 people really need all that space especially if the rwg generated better outcomes? As I said might be something way more I don't see that this wouldn't help even doing this so I'm just guessing and giving a opinion.

Afaik, the decreased mapsize is due to M$ and SoNie (german for: never this way) console savefile regulation. They simply want small savefiles. Imho the consoles should handle bigger maps, because chunks get loaded and unloaded. It doesn't matter how many chunks are loadable, it's the chunks in memory that are important (4 players max). Also i think, that decreasing the hight of the map isn't a performanceboost: A chunk is 16x16x256. With some programming/HW knowlegde you know these numbers and afaik memory is allocated and used in this sizes anyway... For me this game on console isn't comparable to the PC version (like so many other games), but it hasn't to. True, it brings the consoles to their limits and has sometimes problems handling these, but there is nothing out there, that has managed to reside in my discslot over 14 months without change. It's simply THE game for me.