Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Zombie Ideas

New Zombie Ideas

I was kind of curious what the communities ideas for interesting zombie variants would be from a mechanical perspective. As in they function differently, not just look different. I'm curious because while I think everyone can agree that we need some more challenge in the game, it's harder to put a finger on exactly what kind of zombies could do the job in a fun way.

For this little creative exercise assume AI capabilities are relatively robust, and current and future bugs in the game will be fixed.

While I’m definitely not opposed to more threats in the world, I think some improvements to the AI and how they play out in the world will make a huge difference.

Better path finding / bread crumbs system / smell system - these will improve the zombie experience significantly.

Quote Originally Posted by caatalyst View Post
    While I’m definitely not opposed to more threats in the world, I think some improvements to the AI and how they play out in the world will make a huge difference.

Better path finding / bread crumbs system / smell system - these will improve the zombie experience significantly.
    See, I'm not certain I agree. Even if they had better AI it wouldn't change that they are shambling oafs. I can easily just backpedal and fire arrows in to their heads until they drop. And at night I can easily surround myself with pillars and fire at them through the slits while spikes wreck them. Without giving some variety to their capabilities they are still going to be pretty 1 dimensional and easy to deal with.

What I would like:

Fodder Class: biome spawn zeds, Weak, Slow and Dumb. They don't path around object blocking their path once they have a target. They will destroy anything in their path that's between you and them.

Soldier Class (not the entity skinned zed): Sprinkled in with the fodder biome spawns but mostly hang out around poi's (outside). Slightly smarter than the Fodder class. Will path find and avoid obstacles. Moderately faster and stronger with more hp.

Leader Class: Slightly smarter/ faster/ stronger than the Soldier Class. Will actively retreat a set distance away from the player and allow other zeds to wear the player down if more are around (will always appear with a small entourage of zeds around it). Hangs outside near High valued prefabs (cops zeds would fall into this category). gs based.

Sleepers: Basically a mixture of the Leader Class and Soldier Class but in the prefabs themselves won't actively leave their territory zone but will send the soldier class instead.

Zombie Dog Beta: Like normal.
    Zombie Dog Alpha: Able to jump varying distances (possible dig some). gs based

Vultures Beta: Like they are now only more aggressive.
    Vultures Alpha: Will explode like the cops but on a timer. will fight for awhile then lets out a loud screech dives towards the player "BOOM!". gs based

Screamer Beta: (use both Screamer girl and spider) acts like a Leader Class but only calls in zeds like now.
    Screamer Alpha: Feral version stronger faster blah blah.. gs based

Blood Moon: First wave fodder, Second wave soldier, third wave soldier and feral mix etc,. gs based. mix in vulture alpha, dog alpha as well.

just some ideas on what I would like..

a child zombie that has little life is very fast and that generates in large quantities,
    Equivalent to dogs but with less life and in more quantity,
    It would not be difficult but not easy

We have runners, crawlers, stealers, screamers, flyers (v's), sleepers and spitters.

What's your take on jumpers and diggers?
    Last edited by Bubo; 1 Week Ago at 11:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubo View Post
    We have runners, crawlers, stealers, screamers, flyers (v's), sleepers and spitters.. what's your take on jumpers and diggers?
    stealers,diggers? what

Let the Hawaians fly, like baloons

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Deluxe View Post
    Let the Hawaians fly, like baloons
    Skeet shooting!

Quote Originally Posted by lobison444 View Post
    stealers,diggers? what
    In the past, we had zombies that liked to dig. They removed them.

(No passado, nós tínhamos zumbis que gostavam de cavar. Eles os removeram.)

Quote Originally Posted by Bubo View Post
    We have runners, crawlers, stealers, screamers, flyers (v's), sleepers and spitters.

What's your take on jumpers and diggers?
    Jumpers for sure. Not big on diggers.

An idea I had was for a zombie that moved somewhere in between a walk and a sprint. So if you are sprinting you can outrun it. But if walking it will make ground on you pretty quick. Make it totally silent except for footsteps. And make it incapable of stunning you.

Got the idea from the bugged silent wandering hordes in the game right now. I like the idea of a zombie that can sneak up on you and smack you. It's an adrenaline rush. And my zombie would add to that, because its abnormally quick. But what can be total BS about a sneak attack, is when it stuns you in place and you just wind up dead and you had no chance to get away. So my zombie is incapable of stunning you.

Refugee
    Sleeper spider which sleep hanging above doors so he can jump down on you when you go through door.

@Minandreas - Makes sense. For a nice challenge, remove stun from the regulars and put it on the spitters lol.

So, now I'm thinking about projectile zombies. That could be achieved with catapult traps!

a good option would be for all zombies to spread the virus and make the virus more lethal and faster

Quote Originally Posted by Kamikaze View Post
    Sleeper spider which sleep hanging above doors so he can jump down on you when you go through door.
    Quote Originally Posted by lobison444 View Post
    a good option would be for all zombies to spread the virus and make the virus more lethal and faster
    Both good ideas.

How about real cave spiders. They live in caves, come out to hunt at night and can sense your body heat from anywhere except the snow biome. You can't stay warm there or they'll get ya. Very quiet, fast, and able to climb on/up anything. (Ever see the ones in that Starvation Mod? They're pretty terrifying to an unsuspecting host!) Back to my fictitious spiders.. they can also squeeze through 1-block openings and could stun you Minandreas while they cocoon you lol ..okay, I'm reaching.. but cave spiders!

If all zombies spread the virus, they should make the medicine much less. This way you would be so careful before messing with any of them.