Thread: Ylands?

Ylands?

Can anyone give some reliable information on this new game? Looks pretty interesting though I'm not a fan of the art style but that is forgivable if the gameplay is awesome. Who has played it and can endorse or warn?

I'd love to know as well. I'm tempted to just buy the game, but apparently there's a lot of extremely early release related Alpha issues that need to be worked out according to Steam reviews and Youtube gameplay footage. Other than that, it looks like it might become a really fun game... if they can finish it.

The artwork isn't the best, I agree, but with some tweaks here and there, I think it could be pretty decent.

Guppycurian Forum Whore Guppycur's Avatar
    I believe it's pay for play.

Inventor
    Don't really know much about it but have seen it on twitch once or twice but never watched it. I might see if I can catch some game play later.
    Last edited by crazywildfire; 12-14-2017 at 03:02 PM.

It looks VERY fun. I've ready through the reviews and the in game purchases seem to be 100% cosmetic. The dev's seem to listen to the community and it looks like there's already plenty to do. I just bought it so I'll report back soon. The only complaint so far I dislike is that there's no dedicated server, but Ylands dev's said on Reddit 3 days ago that they are working on adding it asap.

Colony Founder
    It's not pay for play that I know of. I bought it but haven't played it yet.
    Basically, a game where you are stranded on a Island and have to survive. You can dig, build, hunt, grow food, trees, scavenge, loot, fight wild animals, that are dangerous, pumas, lions, tigers and bears, Oh my; along with sharks in the ocean. And horses that you can tame and ride, boar to hunt and I think more but can't remember. There are also caves with some dangerous animals and some monsters. You can build a boat/ship to travel to other islands.
    There are islands that are western theme, artic type, desert, forest and more. I think nine are planned. You can play multiplayer or single player, there is a creative mode where you can create buildings, towns and such that can be shared with other players.

It looks like a fun game, watched it around a year ago, it has definitely had some improvement since then, and needs more but I think it will be a good game when completely finished. Kage848, Games4Kickz and GameEdged are doing lets play series on the game so you could check it out and see them play.

Negative is that there isn't much that give you info at the start. The creative has a lot to offer but unfortunately you don't know what you can create or need to create until you find some of the necessary items. Such as building a axe, until you find some stone and wood, and make some rope after gather some grass and other items you don't even know you can make a axe, pick or such. You need to collect anything and everything you can. As soon as you collect some of the basics you need to find a place to live, or look for a ruin to remodel. Then start to gather everything you can. Dig up various areas to see what is clay, iron, and such, pick up flowers and plants to see what you can eat, use to make items and more. If you die you have to return to your body to collect your items and if you die before you get there you lose everything, that needs to be changed. It's not as easy as 7 days to replace what you lose. I don't think anything respawns or it can take a while to do so.
    My son says it similar to Planet Explorers, not as good but enough to give a idea of what it is like.

If you played or seen Astroneer I think it is similar to that style, somewhat silly, but fun and a good time filler.

Reconstructionist
    Everything about is awesome, except there really is no point to it at this stage. Its more about exploration than survival

Havent played it but I read that there is no resource respawn so it's a bit of a locusts game.

I just bought it during the Steam Winter sales as an excuse for more trading cards, lol. I'll report back with my opinions of the game when I have a chance to give it a go.

It's ok, a little buggy but not ground breaking yet. Part of the problem is there's nothing to do really and the crafting aspect doesn't seem complete yet. I feel they have more to do to make it slightly less confusing, but that may also be because I'm not very good at learning these systems right away.

If you enjoy just building things and gathering resources with no real end up game I could see it being fun.

I watched Kage848ís first play and climbed off the fence on the wait and see side.

Here's my Steam review of this game:

This game isn't even worth looking at in it's current state.

- Controls are a complete mess, constantly need to check the settings to see which new button I need to learn in order to do something.
    - UI is terrible, just getting things on your hotbar is a nuissance and poor design
    - can't cancel certain actions like kiln or cooking
    - AI is embarrassingly basic
    - Graphics aren't good (possibly more basic and uglier than minecraft), and yet I struggle to get beyond 80fps on my high end custom dedicated gaming rig, not to mention all the stutter / frame time lagging issues. I don't even have it set to ultra high settings.
    - knowing what to do or how to do anything is a major struggle with this game as there's not much of a hint system and the online wiki is completely useless.
    - sounds are basic
    - Microtransactions... devs never seem to learn anything.

The only good thing about this game right now is it's potential... but that can be said about so many other games out there that ended up being abandoned over time.

I tried to refund this game but I was too late as refunds are only acceptable within 2 weeks of purchase date and I bought it almost 3 weeks ago... go figure. This game could not possibly be more "not ready for public use". They should have worked on it for another year before releasing it to Steam as early access.
    The fact that I get higher fps with 7d2d than I do with Ylands... that just proves how clunky their game is.
    Last edited by Fox; 01-13-2018 at 09:22 AM.