View Poll Results: Which option most closely aligns with your opinion about the look of the zombies.

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • The zombies look like people. They need to be redrawn to be more decayed, gory, and scary.

16 32.65%
  • The zombies look like zombies. The artistic choice used by the developers is fine and consistent.

32 65.31%
  • The zombies are too scary and gross and need to be toned down

1 2.04%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Just a little criticism...

@OP: after reading your post and looking at the pictures I understand that this exact thing had me thinking for quite some time now (well, not crucially or in a gamebreaking way, but still...) without me beeing able to say what it was. so first of all: thank you!

the alltogether 'clean' appearance of them seems kind of odd comparred to what we would memorize otherwise. and I, too, believe that it would bring A LOT to the game if there was more diversity in zombie looks!

But on the other Hand I do see why this exact point works in other games kind of better than it does here: the 7dtd-Zombies are all very different from each other concerning clothes as well as body shape, hair, bright coloring and so on. each one is a masterpiece of art and obviously made with very much effort and love for the case.
    therefor it jumps directly to the eye when there walk 2 fat ladies behind 2 nurses and three chearleaders.

In other games the zombies tend to appear kind of "gray", they are one mass. It just isn't that obvious when in a group of ten Z's there are only 6 diffenert kinds. of course they loose a lot of "character" by that, which the 7dtd-Z's obviously have.

tl;dr: it's a tricky subject, but in the end: in pimps we trust!
    Last edited by OneArmedBandit; 01-05-2018 at 08:09 AM. Reason: spelling

Survivor
    I agree 100% with OP, the zombies are boring and don't have nearly enough variety. The nurse zombies look ridiculous and the rest of them look really uninspired and dull. It breaks the ♥♥♥♥ out of immersion seeing the same 5 zombie models over and over again. I think a lot of the zombies are stock Unity assets like the nurse zombie and the fat tourist zombie. The ones that they've designed recently look a LOT better, such as the soldier zombies.

Most of the zeds need a massive overhaul and the artists maybe need to watch some more zombie movies for inspiration. Less boring grey people and more hideous rotten ghouls. Bring back the UMA zombies with the randomized clothes and faces, with enough work that system would be badass and would really enhance the game. I can't stress enough how much it hurts the experience seeing the same identical zombies over and over again.

If it's not possible to make each zombie unique, at least design them to blend in with each other like in the Dead Rising series, so we don't notice that they're all the same.

HOWEVER having said this, it should probably be prioritized last and added to the 1.0 update because it's really not as important as fleshing the rest of the game out.

Can I also add that they shouldn't be labelled like "decayed mother" and "infected survivor", there's already too much repetition, we don't need to know the names of the models, this isn't an MMORPG like WoW. Just "Destroyed Zombie" is enough for a universal container label when we loot them.
    Last edited by geengaween; 01-05-2018 at 07:37 PM.

I've said many times that the lack of a back story for the game has led to massive inconsistency in art design. IMO that is a mistake.

You have a strange mix of barely dead zombies, completely pristine buildings, buildings fortified from the inside with no occupants and no sign of forced entry, ruins that look 20+ years old, and a complete lack of variety in the zombie grunts (special zombies looking the same is ok because they have a special purpose)

The decision to drop UMA zombies was a bad one in my books. fantastic looking zombies is pointless if you only have 15 of them in the stables. With UMA 1000's of unique zombies can be added, the more used ones can be baked, some could be randomly generated etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Minandreas View Post
    This.

Also, I thought part of the idea behind the way these zombies look is that the game is implying that the outbreak and zombification of the populous only happened recently. Which is why the bodies don't look very decayed.
    They were created by the Higashi pharmaceutical most likely, if you search the building you see lots of evidence that suggest this like live glass containers holding live zombies in a room that said something along the lines of "DNA TESTING" or something of that nature. They're definitely responsible for something.

Scavenger
    I ve read all of your comments, and thanks to those that gave me some reason and appreciate my criticism...but i continue to say that the problem is not the difference in aspect between them...yes it is important that the zombies mantain that difference, but that is not the central problem...in truth the design of the zombies in this game is quite different...there are many types of zombies in this game, and i can appreciate this effort to have a lot of tipologies of zombies, but the problem still remain...The problem is that they are not scaring...i dont mean that all the zombies should look decomposed. NO! Some of them should look more decomposed, and other should look less decomposed, and yes that could be good and pefectly realistic, but ALL of them should look horrible, evil and scaring...This is a SURVIVAL HORROR ZOMBIE HORDE GAME and the problem is that zombies are totally inadequate in my opionion in order to fulfill the proper horror level, and bring to the players and to the entire game the right horror feeling! I posted only some examples of what zombies should look...there are infinite ways to draw them, but in my opinion (and i see that i m not the only one to think that) the way they were drawn down until now is really insufficient to fulfill the proper horror level for this game. A game that i love, and that i played for years...and i would like to play again if the zombies were adjusted properly. I post this criticism becouse my intention is only to make this game BETTER! I appreciate the effort of the authors since now, but zombies were really neglected! I hope that the authors will keep this criticism in the right account, becouse zombies are not a minor problem in this game...i see they spend a lot of time introducing new gear, new modifications, and new characters in this game, but they neglet zombies. Dear authors, zombies need a DRAMATIC AND RADICAL OVERHAUL, if you want to mantain this game alive, and i m not joking!

JUst other 5 examples of zombies, but this time they are from other games (old and recent games), and not from movies. Take a look authors...that is what a lot of players would like to see in Seven Days to Die...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SylenThunder; 01-15-2018 at 11:54 AM. Reason: cleanup

Ranger
    Well, there is no such thing as a zombie in real life. But we are putting our assumptions into "what feels right".

Well, my bitch about the zombie aesthetic is this:

If you shoot some zombies in the leg, the zombie grabs their leg as if in pain.

Excuse me, but a zombie feeling pain doesn't jive with commonly share assumptions about zombie behavior.

Do away with the zombie leg injured grabbing animations!

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyMeiya View Post
    They were created by the Higashi pharmaceutical most likely, if you search the building you see lots of evidence that suggest this like live glass containers holding live zombies in a room that said something along the lines of "DNA TESTING" or something of that nature. They're definitely responsible for something.
    or....... they merely trapped the zombies and were experimenting on them as signs may indicate in hopes to find a cure or how to use them for what ever reasons. you never know

Quote Originally Posted by fragtzack View Post
    Well, there is no such thing as a zombie in real life.
    If they want to make real life zombies all they need to do is make people walking around staring at a cell phone lol

OK, I just have to - moar zombies is better than prettier zombies.

There are not enough of them as it is, just about OK at current levels, (to sustain me for 1k hrs + ), but if more hours are to be played the numbers are at a minimum, there is just not enough destruction at current zombie levels (64). Upping the destruction level while having few of them is also not a zombie game, but some sort of alien attack (medium number of potentially somewhat smart enemies), which while fine, is not as much fun from my perspective vs large numbers of idiots.

I certainly do not mind them being mindless students after a party for all that I care, as long as there are many and they keep on congregating while successfully destroying the environment around me.

Reconstructionist
    Quote Originally Posted by StompyNZ View Post
    I've said many times that the lack of a back story for the game has led to massive inconsistency in art design. IMO that is a mistake.

You have a strange mix of barely dead zombies, completely pristine buildings, buildings fortified from the inside with no occupants and no sign of forced entry, ruins that look 20+ years old, and a complete lack of variety in the zombie grunts (special zombies looking the same is ok because they have a special purpose)

The decision to drop UMA zombies was a bad one in my books. fantastic looking zombies is pointless if you only have 15 of them in the stables. With UMA 1000's of unique zombies can be added, the more used ones can be baked, some could be randomly generated etc.
    Please god no UMAs. I can run 64 zombies at a time with no UMA at a higher frame rate than 16 zombies at a time that are UMA.. getting rid of UMA was the best decision

Guppycurian Forum Whore Guppycur's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowDog1942 View Post
    Please god no UMAs. I can run 64 zombies at a time with no UMA at a higher frame rate than 16 zombies at a time that are UMA.. getting rid of UMA was the best decision
    That's because you haven't seen the latest mod technology yet that fixes the memory leaks with UMA's and causes them to run smoother than a baby's bottom...

...hundred, two hundred, no problem.

Zombie Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by Guppycur View Post
    That's because you haven't seen the latest mod technology yet that fixes the memory leaks with UMA's and causes them to run smoother than a baby's bottom...

...hundred, two hundred, no problem.
    how do u know that?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus_Red View Post
    snip
    I agree, the zombies aren't really creepy. The ones they've designed / redesigned recently do look good in their own right IMO, however some of them don't really nail a horror atmosphere.

I don't really like what they did with the mocap, their actors kind of exagerated too much IMO, and the animations are always the same (just one per zombie). They're higher quality than the old ones from way back, but I feel they aren't optimal for what one could do with motion caputre.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowDog1942 View Post
    Yeah, the UMA thing was nice and would've been great from an artistic point of view, but it performed terribly and held back how many zombies could be spawned considerably.

Guppycurian Forum Whore Guppycur's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Viktoriusiii View Post
    how do u know that?
    I know a guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Viktoriusiii View Post
    how do u know that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Guppycur View Post
    I know a guy.
    He does know a guy, and he's built a UMA-ark =D

We are knocking on the door to have mods include a wide variety of zombies, using built-in animations and new animations, new skins, etc.

Valoween and Winter Project were proofs of concepts about adding new entities and changing the over all atmosphere of the game, changing the players perception of threats and difficulty. We've taken those lessons, and are building packages for people to use and make their own.

Vanilla zombies and animations will nearly always look superior and better than anything we can do, and that'll probably suit the majority of players who aren't on the forums.

But for the rest of us? Options are coming in the modding community that is pretty exciting.