View Poll Results: If all these options were in the game, which ones would you use regularly?

Voters
121. You may not vote on this poll
  • no Blood Moons

11 9.09%
  • regular Blood Moons less often than every 7th night

19 15.70%
  • Blood Moons every 7th night (current behavior)

36 29.75%
  • regular Blood Moons more often than every 7th night

12 9.92%
  • Blood Moons on a fixed, but more complex schedule, e.g. with greater frequency over time

24 19.83%
  • Blood Moons on random, unpredictable nights

69 57.02%
  • I don't care, but I still like voting

9 7.44%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Alternative Blood Moon Schedules (aka !7 Days to Die)

I voted to keep it as it is. Reasoning is this and its mostly from a 'new players' perspective.

How do you notify the player that there is a bloodmoon coming?
    Or do you notify them at all?!?

Besides that its conceivable and probable that you would end up getting a bloodmoon on your very first day. Sure it would be fine for many of us whom have been playing but apply this to a new player/YouTuber/etc... Now then - unless you get EXTREMELY LUCKY on your pulls of loot, there's virtually no way 'you' would survive, barring CM, etc.

You could conceivably survive by fighting on the surface of the water while the zeds are on the ground below the surface of the water... But with 'only' a bow and arrows, you'd survive till dawn that way at which point they would not be running anymore...

You could make a bunch of 'swtiches' for this so that it doesn't become random till after the first 7th day! But getting pummeled on the 7th & 8th day wouldn't be 'fun either.'

Don't get me wrong because I do love a challenge, but looking at it from a new players perspective makes it not so much fun from their point of view. Therefore - doing so could - and I mean Could deter some players from 'continuing to play' after the noted probable experience of implementing such.

So make it switchable and defaulting to 7 days.

Tracker
    I'd most like the true GPS/tower-defense style hordes to be tied to base advancements rather than the day cycle. These hordes should be serious threats that require defenses, ammo, and repair, but if you defend against them you'll now have a new capability. They would attack towards the thing rather than the player and if you don't defend it, you lose what you were trying to gain. These big hordes could be triggered when you first use a forge or a generator, or in relation to gaining survivors. You could even get something out in the world where you find a survivor and have to quickly fortify their building in order to gain their support or trade with them.

Random is my pick - the predictability of the current system is its major drawback I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadamier View Post
    I voted to keep it as it is. Reasoning is this and its mostly from a 'new players' perspective.

Besides that its conceivable and probable that you would end up getting a bloodmoon on your very first day. Sure it would be fine for many of us whom have been playing but apply this to a new player/YouTuber/etc... Now then - unless you get EXTREMELY LUCKY on your pulls of loot, there's virtually no way 'you' would survive, barring CM, etc.

You could conceivably survive by fighting on the surface of the water while the zeds are on the ground below the surface of the water... But with 'only' a bow and arrows, you'd survive till dawn that way at which point they would not be running anymore...

You could make a bunch of 'swtiches' for this so that it doesn't become random till after the first 7th day! But getting pummeled on the 7th & 8th day wouldn't be 'fun either.'

Don't get me wrong because I do love a challenge, but looking at it from a new players perspective makes it not so much fun from their point of view. Therefore - doing so could - and I mean Could deter some players from 'continuing to play' after the noted probable experience of implementing such.

So make it switchable and defaulting to 7 days.

If it becomes random (which I hope), there are other things to consider as well. Like discouraging exploration, which is arguably the best part of the game, if it occurs too often. So there should be some safeguards that prevent it from happening on two days in a row or more than x times in a specific time period, for example. And a 7 days grace period (to justify the game's name) at the start.
    Last edited by RestInPieces; 02-14-2018 at 05:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadamier View Post
    There is already a audial and visual cues in the game. You can hear the storm and see red sky enough before the zombies start running. This gives you some time to prepare, but short enough to cause oh ♥♥♥♥ moment.

I haven't voted yet. If TFP have some plot points for every 7 days then that's how it should go. Otherwise I don't see a reason for it at all.

Refugee
    The game is called 7d2d, because it takes 7 in game days for your character to die of infection, if you get infected and don't cure it, the blood moon horde night has nothing to do with the name

As for Blood moons themselves, i would like an in game option or in the menu, to have them enabled or disabled, i like them and they can be great fun, but at a certain point, for me at least, they can be tedious at times and take up time before and after, preparing and repairing, that i could spend actually playing the game how i want to

So having the option to turn them off, is definitely a good thing, because it will be an option, you won't be forced to use the option and it isn't going to ruin it for anyone, because someone across the world for you, is playing without blood moons, it wouldn't effect you in the slightest

Refugee
    Random nights and random max amounts (based on player choice, which needs to stay in consideration of hardware) alive at once is my preference (with the ability to choose for them to remain static or be turned off for those that don't 'like' that aspect of the game).

I play around now with tower defense sometimes, I have an underground base that I sometimes just run down and mine all night, I run around cities sometimes or on the minibike (all ways to keep it 'fresh' but KNOWING exactly when it is going to happen does dampen the experience a little for me).

I TRULY enjoy the random hordes (I actually wish they would become MORE frequent the longer you were in an area) because they provide that 'oh crap' moment for you when you think you are relatively safe to loot/explore or trying to kill them before starting a blood moon (or when they arrive at 21:45 and you want that XP/loot so you have to fight them during the night - major fun).

My only gripe is they 'run' past where I am at before I hear them so I don't get to fight them when they spawn during the night most times.

I'm hoping by release that we will have a LOT of options to tailor what happens on each blood moon. And if not I might just make a blood moon configuration tool that will program the XML for you. Or someone else can make it and I'll use it.

It would be extremely cool to be able to define a single blood moon that happens on day 100 (or whatever) that is both massive and ultra powerful. A true world ender. You build up to that point with no realistic chance of survival but you gotta try.

Quote Originally Posted by Maharin View Post
    with no realistic chance of survival but you gotta try.
    Now that you mentioned that, I remembered one of the things that bother me in the game the most. No real death consequences. The flat stat called wellness is a pretty weak motive for me to make me really want to stay alive, not to mention that at min wellness everyone I know even suicides regularly to get rid of debuffs. Being infected is almost of no real consequence. Sometimes team keeps dying dozens of times during a blood moon and it's no big deal since they have nothing to lose as long as they store their items or keep only dispensable items on them.

I understand this is not everyone's cup of tea, but for me this is very off-putting.
    (Please, do not even think of suggesting that I make self-imposed superficial rules like deleting the character/game, even as a temporary solution.)
    Last edited by RestInPieces; 02-17-2018 at 12:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RestInPieces View Post
    (Please, do not even think of suggesting that I make self-imposed superficial rules like deleting the character/game, even as a temporary solution.)
    I won't suggest it... but that's what I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Maharin View Post
    I won't suggest it... but that's what I do.
    Well, as long as you didn't suggest anything and just randomly mentioned it... :P

But seriously, besides me being strongly against superficial rules in my game and all that, I would like a middle ground. I would enjoy an ironman mode but also something in between. Consequences that would make you struggle to stay alive no matter what and a more dynamic wellness bonus/penalty, because atm a broken foot is worse than dying, which is a bit... anti-climatic.

I'm looking for an Ironman leaderboard mode so you can see how you are doing compared to other people. Have several metrics to it and see how it goes.

The people who fight blood moon hoards would get more kills and end up being higher rated.

I would like for it to be configurable for the server admin Being able to chose between different types of mechanics for the server would go a long way, as there seems to be always be a lot of views how it should be done.

Some love it. Some hate it. Some want it more frequent, some less. Some random.

Options are good!

/V - Alpha 17 - Behemoth R.I.P?

Refugee
    I like the current behavior.

Random blood moons seem fun on paper, but I feel are going to be frustrating in the long run, unless there are dependencies on game stage and days alive so that when you settle down and have a stable base then you can handle unexpected blood moons. But I feel in the beginning it will be very frustrating. It will kinda work for nomad playstyle, because you just need to find a place to hide.

I can see myself picking every 3rd day horde and 120 mins days, so that there is more continuous daytime, but same time between blood moons as on 60 mins.