Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 146

Thread: I am sad that the Pimps seem so against adding new weapons

  1. #1
    Survivor
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    95
    Rep Power
    0

    I am sad that the Pimps seem so against adding new weapons

    I love the game and I think the Pimps are doing a great job, especially with the addition of new team members focusing on level design. They are really fleshing out the exploration aspect which is a great thing for the game.

    One thing bothers me though... Every time I see the devs answering questions about new weapons they always seem very quick to shut down questions about whether we'll get new types. It doesn't seem like we'll be getting Mac-10's or M1 Garands. They appear to think that one model of weapon per category is enough.

    A huge part of my enjoyment in open world survival games is the large variety of weapons to find and choose from. I like the way everyone finds their own unique playstyle with the weapon combinations they load out on their characters.

    With only one weapon in each category, there's a linear progression from crap weapons (pistols) to best weapons (AK and Sniper), which is pretty much identical for every player. This makes me sad. Does it make you sad? Discuss.
    Last edited by geengaween; 01-12-2018 at 12:44 AM.

  2. #2
    Zombie Hunter
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Bedrock
    Posts
    496
    Rep Power
    0
    1st and foremost, In Pimps We Trust. I'm totally at ease to let them do whatever they choose to do. They change, they tweak, they add and remove stuff, but ultimately things have always just got better and better.

    I can't get excited about other weapons. I bludgeon everything with a sledge. Ammo (casings) for guns is such a bottleneck that I don't fire a single shot anymore, and my preferred gun, the Magnum is never to be found, other than in junk-grade parts, but once again, I'm confident that will get tweaked and re-balanced in future.

    The newest weapon - the Compund Bow - once again, I've never found the need to bother with it. I've owned 3 at a time, but never fired a single one. Too many other things to worry about. Like running bear packs.

  3. #3
    Hunter unclevlad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    115
    Rep Power
    0
    Skins fail to impress me.

    OK, that sounded odd, even for me. Let me try again.

    In a lot of the gun-heavy FPS-type games, so many of the weapons are, under the hood, the same bloody thing with a tweaked graphic/or sound. Yay. I would rather items that are different with different purposes take up those valuable entity slots than losing them to a 7.62 Tkiv 85 and an Armalite AR-50 and a Barrett MRAD and a KSVK 12.7 and a ...

    YMMV.

  4. #4
    Reconstructionist
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    552
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by unclevlad View Post
    Skins fail to impress me.

    OK, that sounded odd, even for me. Let me try again.

    In a lot of the gun-heavy FPS-type games, so many of the weapons are, under the hood, the same bloody thing with a tweaked graphic/or sound. Yay. I would rather items that are different with different purposes take up those valuable entity slots than losing them to a 7.62 Tkiv 85 and an Armalite AR-50 and a Barrett MRAD and a KSVK 12.7 and a ...

    YMMV.
    Nailed it.

  5. #5
    Super Moderator Roland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Spending some Time at Portia
    Posts
    10,602
    Rep Power
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by geengaween View Post
    I love the game and I think the Pimps are doing a great job, especially with the addition of new team members focusing on level design. They are really fleshing out the exploration aspect which is a great thing for the game.

    One thing bothers me though... Every time I see the devs answering questions about new weapons they always seem very quick to shut down questions about whether we'll get new types. It doesn't seem like we'll be getting Mac-10's or M1 Garands. They appear to think that one model of weapon per category is enough.

    A huge part of my enjoyment in open world survival games is the large variety of weapons to find and choose from. I like the way everyone finds their own unique playstyle with the weapon combinations they load out on their characters.

    With only one weapon in each category, there's a linear progression from crap weapons (pistols) to best weapons (AK and Sniper), which is pretty much identical for every player. This makes me sad. Does it make you sad? Discuss.
    It's unclear whether there will be a graphical change when a mod is attached but as far as function is concerned your dream will come true in A17. You will be able to have hundreds of guns that are unique. They may all look like pistols, shotguns, hunting rifles, AK, and Snipers but functionally they will be very different from one another and once modders get hold of the code they will be able to assign all the new functional weapons to the skins that they have already created for true diversity.

    Will the devs ever get around to creating new skins for weapons? Maybe, but definitely not right now.

  6. #6
    Inventor Siveria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    835
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    It's unclear whether there will be a graphical change when a mod is attached but as far as function is concerned your dream will come true in A17. You will be able to have hundreds of guns that are unique. They may all look like pistols, shotguns, hunting rifles, AK, and Snipers but functionally they will be very different from one another and once modders get hold of the code they will be able to assign all the new functional weapons to the skins that they have already created for true diversity.

    Will the devs ever get around to creating new skins for weapons? Maybe, but definitely not right now.
    Why not add them to the painting system? We can paint blocks why not the weapons? Inb4 sledge with a picture of a cute anime girl on it LOL. Maybe a new workstation called the painting bench or something to paint gear.

    I got one question thou, will the pistol/smg have a shotgun mod? XD My parasite eve love is rising. I used a 3 shot/attack smg with a shotgun mod as my main gun. Would turn the basic pistol into bascally the magnum at close ranges make it have spread like the blunderbuss so you bascally have to be kissing the zombie to hit it.

  7. #7
    Fun Pimps Staff Gazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    In your brains. Thinking your thoughts.
    Posts
    7,564
    Rep Power
    2
    How would you get a pistol to fire shotgun shells?
    Switch out the barrel, receiver, frame and stock, add a different magazine and oh, wait... that is a shotgun. =P

  8. #8
    Survivor
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    95
    Rep Power
    0
    I'm not talking about skins really, I'm talking about weapons with completely different stats and capabilities that people can mould their own unique play style around.

    Like an M14 rifle, which is a mid range semiauto carbine rifle with a 5 round magazine size. Much better than the single shot bolt action rifle but ammo is more plentiful than a high powered sniper rifle. Or a mac-10 submachine gun, very different from the mp5 type gun in the game - shorter range with a higher rate of fire. Or a spas12 shotgun, semiautomatic with massive stopping power, but harder to aim under rapid fire. Or the .45 caliber lever action rifle, not quite as accurate as a bolt action rifle and quite unwieldy, but very powerful and reliable with a higher rate of fire.

    A baseball bat with nails in it is heavier than a club and slower to swing, but will do devastating damage. A cutlass is mid range and not the fastest sword available, but it might be able to have a quick secondary attack using its hand guard. A hatchet is just fun as hell to use and looks cool as well. etc etc etc.

    All these weapons have very different advantages and disadvantages, and will appeal to different types of players depending on how they like to play.

    One of the most fun things about games like Fallout 3 is the range of firearms. Most people will pick 2 or 3 that suit their preference and stick to them. I would love to see such variety in 7DTD. There's nothing cooler than finding a rare gun and realizing it's fun to use and suits your play style. And in Multiplayer games it's very cool to see your friends with their own preferences and develop a synergy with their style.

    I think the Fun Pimps possibly don't play games like DayZ and that's why they are choosing to neglect this particular part of the game, but just because some people don't think it's important, doesn't make it unimportant. There are a LOT of people who get significant enjoyment from weapon variety.
    Last edited by geengaween; 01-12-2018 at 09:22 AM.

  9. #9
    Reconstructionist Katitof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    568
    Rep Power
    1
    What would be the point of new weapons, when all current ones aren't even being used?

    Make all current weapons interesting, with ups and downs, see if we have all niches fulfilled and THEN consider something new.

    Variety for the sake of variety alone creates clutter(as with all different blocks of the past).

  10. #10
    Community Moderator Crater Creator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    2,623
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazz View Post
    How would you get a pistol to fire shotgun shells?
    Switch out the barrel, receiver, frame and stock, add a different magazine and oh, wait... that is a shotgun. =P
    Look up the Taurus Judge some time for an interesting read. It came up when researching for a different, unreleased game.

    But wait, since when does not being realistic disqualify an idea?

  11. #11
    Hunter Primal11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Romania
    Posts
    148
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazz View Post
    How would you get a pistol to fire shotgun shells?
    Switch out the barrel, receiver, frame and stock, add a different magazine and oh, wait... that is a shotgun. =P
    3ce3450f7e6b52abb1ddd7ab752e4708--revolvers-shotguns.jpg

    Your point still stands though, this revolver is made to use shotgun shells for ammo, it's not just some modified thing.

  12. #12
    Fun Pimps Staff Gazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    In your brains. Thinking your thoughts.
    Posts
    7,564
    Rep Power
    2
    That's not a "mod" you can install in a revolver or pistol, which I believe was the point made.
    That's right up there with modding a weapon to shoot squirrels from a magazine.

  13. #13
    Hood Ornament Gamida's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    The Rock
    Posts
    3,253
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazz View Post
    That's not a "mod" you can install in a revolver or pistol, which I believe was the point made.
    That's right up there with modding a weapon to shoot squirrels from a magazine.
    Woohoo, squirrel guns confirmed for future alpha...

  14. #14
    Fun Pimps Staff Gazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    In your brains. Thinking your thoughts.
    Posts
    7,564
    Rep Power
    2
    Actually I'm thinking more of a behemoth throwing ragdolling zombie dogs that then get back up and chase you around inside of your walls.
    Hypothetically.

  15. #15
    Community Moderator SylenThunder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    SE Michigan, out in the sticks.
    Posts
    6,154
    Rep Power
    1
    This is what I've never understood.

    WHY do we NEED more weapons?
    Seriously.


    This is a post-apocalyptic zombie survival game.

    Food is scarce.
    Resources are scarce.

    We really already have all the weapons we need. (more really, since the SMG is a complete waste IMHO.)


    For early game, there is the bow, the crossbow, and the blunderbuss. All are completely believable for just getting started after the apocalypse with limited resources.

    Then as you explore, you discover pistols, shotguns, and rifles. You may even come across the rare compound bow, sniper, or AK47. (Because all of these items are relatively common in today's society.)

    And when you think about it, even this is really a bit much. You need short-range, medium range, and long range guns. You don't need 31 flavors of projectile weapons to get the job done. You really only need 3, and the ability to add a few modifications.

    If you look at the weapon mods in the Ear of the Walkers mod, that's a step in the right direction for weapon mods. I hope a17 does something very similar.
    There is no reason to add a bunch of new weapons though. It serves absolutely no point, and goes against the style of the game.



    We DON'T need more weapons. We just need to be able to mod the stats of what we have a little.
    Oh wait, isn't TFP doing that already in a17?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •