Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I am sad that the Pimps seem so against adding new weapons

Well, if they don't they should. You make it sound like a great idea!

Quote Originally Posted by geengaween View Post
    I'm not talking about skins really, I'm talking about weapons with completely different stats and capabilities that people can mould their own unique play style around.

Like an M14 rifle, which is a mid range semiauto carbine rifle with a 5 round magazine size. Much better than the single shot bolt action rifle but ammo is more plentiful than a high powered sniper rifle. Or a mac-10 submachine gun, very different from the mp5 type gun in the game - shorter range with a higher rate of fire. Or a spas12 shotgun, semiautomatic with massive stopping power, but harder to aim under rapid fire. Or the .45 caliber lever action rifle, not quite as accurate as a bolt action rifle and quite unwieldy, but very powerful and reliable with a higher rate of fire.

A baseball bat with nails in it is heavier than a club and slower to swing, but will do devastating damage. A cutlass is mid range and not the fastest sword available, but it might be able to have a quick secondary attack using its hand guard. A hatchet is just fun as hell to use and looks cool as well. etc etc etc.

All these weapons have very different advantages and disadvantages, and will appeal to different types of players depending on how they like to play.

One of the most fun things about games like Fallout 3 is the range of firearms. Most people will pick 2 or 3 that suit their preference and stick to them. I would love to see such variety in 7DTD. There's nothing cooler than finding a rare gun and realizing it's fun to use and suits your play style. And in Multiplayer games it's very cool to see your friends with their own preferences and develop a synergy with their style.

I think the Fun Pimps possibly don't play games like DayZ and that's why they are choosing to neglect this particular part of the game, but just because some people don't think it's important, doesn't make it unimportant. There are a LOT of people who get significant enjoyment from weapon variety.
    Actually in fallout 3 most people optimize for damage based on skills and won't use many guns at all.

This is not day z and the focus is not pvp and running and gunning.

The new mod system in A17 should take care of most of your complaints though, you can mod magazine size, fire rate, spread, etc. So you will have a near infinite combination of modifications to tweak guns.

I want nothing more than suppressors, atleast for the pistol. Come on, how great would it be to sneak around and headshot zeds with a juicy silenced gun..

Refugee
    Quote Originally Posted by wohnzimmer View Post
    I want nothing more than suppressors, atleast for the pistol. Come on, how great would it be to sneak around and headshot zeds with a juicy silenced gun..
    Homemade baked beans can suppressor ftw

Quote Originally Posted by Gazz View Post
    How would you get a pistol to fire shotgun shells?
    Switch out the barrel, receiver, frame and stock, add a different magazine and oh, wait... that is a shotgun. =P
    Simply load Duplex / Triplex pistol ammo, such as the 000 Buck load for regular 357 guns or the #4 Buck for 44/45 pistols,
    and theres also regular Ratshot & Snakeshot pistol ammo loads.
    However, that insanely reduces the effective range of a pistol, due to centripetal spreading of the shot pattern

Refugee
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimbie View Post
    Simply load Duplex / Triplex pistol ammo, such as the 000 Buck load for regular 357 guns or the #4 Buck for 44/45 pistols,
    and theres also regular Ratshot & Snakeshot pistol ammo loads.
    However, that insanely reduces the effective range of a pistol, due to centripetal spreading of the shot pattern
    This....

CCIShotshells_N.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by SylenThunder View Post
    This is what I've never understood.

WHY do we NEED more weapons?
    Seriously.

This is a post-apocalyptic zombie survival game.

Food is scarce.
    Resources are scarce.

We really already have all the weapons we need. (more really, since the SMG is a complete waste IMHO.)

For early game, there is the bow, the crossbow, and the blunderbuss. All are completely believable for just getting started after the apocalypse with limited resources.

Then as you explore, you discover pistols, shotguns, and rifles. You may even come across the rare compound bow, sniper, or AK47. (Because all of these items are relatively common in today's society.)

And when you think about it, even this is really a bit much. You need short-range, medium range, and long range guns. You don't need 31 flavors of projectile weapons to get the job done. You really only need 3, and the ability to add a few modifications.

If you look at the weapon mods in the Ear of the Walkers mod, that's a step in the right direction for weapon mods. I hope a17 does something very similar.
    There is no reason to add a bunch of new weapons though. It serves absolutely no point, and goes against the style of the game.

We DON'T need more weapons. We just need to be able to mod the stats of what we have a little.
    Oh wait, isn't TFP doing that already in a17?
    To a large degree I agree SylenThunder! But here's the thing - when we go gold - this is exactly what 'we'll' find; players wanting tonnes of options, tonnes of weapons! And it doesn't stop there! No way! They're going to want to be able to have tonnes of cloths too! At least hundreds of ways to mod how their character looks, etc. Some will join because of the options, weapons, etc and others will not play because of them or lack of them.

"We" will always see this push for more weapons. But within the 'world of the game' and its 'settting' - it should be limited to what I've posted in another thread. But ultimately its up to TFP.

Guppycurian Forum Whore Guppycur's Avatar
    I agree with sylen as well. We only need differing weapon "types". I say scrap the short barrel, too. And the hunting rifle, since it will be literally the same as a sniper rifle without mods. Or vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by Guppycur View Post
    I agree with sylen as well. We only need differing weapon "types". I say scrap the short barrel, too. And the hunting rifle, since it will be literally the same as a sniper rifle without mods. Or vice versa.
    That's true but it would look too weird if we don't get a system in to visually display attachments.

Now technically we could use "sniper rifle" model for all rifles.
    That's a G3...ish base which can be an assault rifle as well as mount scopes and be an all-out marksman's rifle.
    (there technically is no such thing as a sniper rifle)

It's just that AKs are more common (surprise) so they fit better thematically. A bolt action rifle is a different thing.
    And to be fair - a modern AK can not be compared to the crappy vietnam era ones.
    Put a scope on it and you have a decent hunting rifle for the ranges we have in the game.

As for the shotgun: Maybe some day we get a double barrel shotgun. That was always sort of a hopeful placeholder. LOL

Reconstructionist
    only thing i ask is they replace the smg as its complete garbage and reskin the guns at least to look better and maybe let us paint the guns

I'm OK with not adding more guns, just don't dumb things down to the point Mass Effect 2? did....where your generic "ammo" scaled to fit any weapon you picked for your loadout.

One thing I ~really~ want to see eventually though is ultra-rare variants (like Taza's stone axe). They don't need to have different graphics, just exceptional stats and/or other effects not normally available. It should also be possible to repair them completely (along with any weapon or armor) at the trading outposts for a (steep) price.

-Morloc

Well, we want awesome items in there so there's a reason to do quests like
    - Collect 139,377 small rocks
    - Defeat Ug-Thak, Lord of Dogs
    - Pilfer lost staff of Mount Schuler
    - Defeat Destroyer of Worlds
    - Dance, dance, baby

Quote Originally Posted by Gazz View Post
    Well, we want awesome items in there so there's a reason to do quests like
    - Collect 139,377 small rocks
    - Defeat Ug-Thak, Lord of Dogs
    - Pilfer lost staff of Mount Schuler
    - Defeat Destroyer of Worlds
    - Dance, dance, baby

-Retrieving special items from the deepest body of water or cave (would also be fun)
    Last edited by Bubo; 01-12-2018 at 07:13 PM.

Guppycurian Forum Whore Guppycur's Avatar
    I don't get why an items skin is important to people. Don't get me wrong, I respect the desire for it, but it's just not for me. Sure it's cute, but beyond that I'm only worried about the practical aspects, which it sounds like mods will deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by Guppycur View Post
    I don't get why an items skin is important to people. Don't get me wrong, I respect the desire for it, but it's just not for me. Sure it's cute, but beyond that I'm only worried about the practical aspects, which it sounds like mods will deal with.
    Well with bandits coming it could be important visual to determine what type of weapon he is packing. I wouldn't want to get sniped by a bandit with a hunting rifle because his scope was invisible...