Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone know if subway/sewer tunnels are planned?

Survivor

Does anyone know if subway/sewer tunnels are planned?

I heard tunnels will be reintroduced in the future, does anyone know if there's any plans to add manmade type tunnels like sewers, maintenance tunnels, and partially caved in subways? Because that would be totally sick.

Agreed and no idea.

I want them to expand the socket system to underground and water. That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by Maharin View Post
    I want them to expand the socket system to underground and water.
    If it goes all the way down to bedrock,
    would it be a Deepwell Socket system?

I'd rather not have them waste time on underground POIs before they introduce risk reward system for the moles.
    We already have massive rewards for digging to bedrock, mineral veins and 100% protection from everything.

And I don't believe it should be like that.
    Give underground hazards that aren't Zs and we can talk about more underground POIs.

Also railway to connect cities would be cool.

Community Moderator SylenThunder's Avatar
    I seem to recall madmole talking about this back in a12 or a13. There was an issue with optimization where it really killed the FPS in the client when you got near a city with sewer/subway tunnels. There's also a bit of an issue with getting them to work with the RWG mixer.

I think once occlusion is fully functional it may be more possible, but you're still going to have a lot of issues getting it to work with the RWG mixer.

They could use the same algorithm that creates the grid of streets to make an underground grid of sewers

Community Moderator SylenThunder's Avatar
    But it will break SI for POI's like the skyscraper, or have issue with other POI's that have large basements. I'm sure it can be resolved by changing some of the algorithms for the mixer, and all the underground grids will have to be asymmetrical.

It's not going to be easy by any means though, and I agree with Katitof that there will need to be some serious hazards for underground. Otherwise you'll just be implementing easy mode for all the people who don't like to actually play the game.

Guys, if you dont want underground sewers & tunnels because you think them too easy,
    then just turn that option off in your games

I would leave Sewers: ON, and TunnelThreats: OFF.
    Maybe you guys would like Sewers: Off, and TunnelThreats: ON

Even if there is no GUI menu to change the xml for you, just set that option manually:
    Maybe I'll edit the TunnelSpawnList xml to have no zombies just bunnys & chickens.
    Perhaps you would edit POI list to have just surface POI and no undergrounds.

I fail to see why its even an issue, since we will all just set the game the way we want it.
    Some folks dont want ANY zombie dogs so they take them out of the spawn list.
    Out,...In... who cares what you do Dogs / Tunnels in your game

Quote Originally Posted by Bimbie View Post
    Guys, if you dont want underground sewers & tunnels because you think them too easy,
    then just turn that option off in your games

I would leave Sewers: ON, and TunnelThreats: OFF.
    Maybe you guys would like Sewers: Off, and TunnelThreats: ON

Even if there is no GUI menu to change the xml for you, just set that option manually:
    Maybe I'll edit the TunnelSpawnList xml to have no zombies just bunnys & chickens.
    Perhaps you would edit POI list to have just surface POI and no undergrounds.

I fail to see why its even an issue, since we will all just set the game the way we want it.
    Some folks dont want ANY zombie dogs so they take them out of the spawn list.
    Out,...In... who cares what you do Dogs / Tunnels in your game
    If you dont want underground sewers & tunnels, does not use it... simple as that

Hunter
    Why not just you know have a lot of entrances into the sewers and the tunnels like a a lot of manholes to allow zombies to flow in there

Survivor
    > I think once occlusion is fully functional

Holy ♥♥♥♥ are they really developing occlusion? This must mean that the new engine is capable of it, I saw a video ages ago where Madmole said they can't implement it because Unity doesn't support it very well. Once it's functional it will be the single biggest optimization the game has ever seen. We'll be able to have shopping mall sized PoI's and kilometers of underground tunnels. That is such good news if they really are working on occlusion.

Quote Originally Posted by geengaween View Post
    > I think once occlusion is fully functional

Holy ♥♥♥♥ are they really developing occlusion? This must mean that the new engine is capable of it, I saw a video ages ago where Madmole said they can't implement it because Unity doesn't support it very well. Once it's functional it will be the single biggest optimization the game has ever seen. We'll be able to have shopping mall sized PoI's and kilometers of underground tunnels. That is such good news if they really are working on occlusion.
    Unity could do occlusions since 2012.

I'm not sure if its the pro version that can do it (125/mo) but I would think TFP could afford a few copies of it.

Survivor
    Just to make sure I understand it but we're not talking about Ambient occlusion right? Occlusion in this context is when your system doesn't have to render or build parts of the map that are currently hidden from view?

So how come they seem to have had such a hard time implementing occlusion into the game? One would think it would be essential for a huge game like this