View Poll Results: Which is the most critical aspect of zombies that should be the dev's top priority.

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • Their appearance. Redraw them to be more scary, gory, and decayed.

3 1.56%
  • Their animations. Improve how they move (and remove reactions to pain).

7 3.65%
  • Their abilities. Add more special infected with abilities that will challenge us.

19 9.90%
  • Their variety. Add more types so we stop seeing so many duplicates.

13 6.77%
  • Their number. Do what is needed to get far more on screen at the same time.

32 16.67%
  • Their pathing and AI.

107 55.73%
  • Their sounds. They donít sound good at all and need better sounds.

5 2.60%
  • None of the above. Zombies are great as they are. Get working on Bandits!!!!

6 3.13%
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the most critical aspect of zombies that should be developed?

What is the most critical aspect of zombies that should be developed?

Please vote and share your thoughts. You can only vote for one so if there are like two or three that tie you can tell us your runner up priorities down below.
    Last edited by Roland; 01-13-2018 at 07:24 PM.

First and I picked Variety as the clone war is getting old.

#1 Pathing an AI

Zeds that can do basic navigation/navigating around trees/poles/upstairs/ladders/rocks etc lol grass!! zeds that can go through grass without getting confused. The challenge will naturally increase by just getting the zeds to the player on a regular basis without getting confused and just running in circles.

Quantity over quality (though not all-the-time-everywhere).

-Morloc

Survivor
    TL;DR: Either the zombie sounds or the appearances need to be reworked. Existing zombies sound and look amateurish and not what you'd expect from a top selling game. Devs need to study the design of zombies from other games to see where they can improve. Get rid of silly things like huge breasts, rubber-mask-faces, and sexy nurse outfits.

For me it's an equal toss up between the sound and the appearance.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I've never liked the way the zombies sound, for me it's always seemed very amateurish and not very professional. The best zombies I ever heard were in Left 4 Dead, from what I remember Valve got some heavy metal vocalists to voice the zombies, then distorted them, and it sounded absolutely fantastic... Really disturbing and scary.

Probably unrealistic to expect that from a small indie dev but they could at least use some distortion on the voices and make them sound less human.

-------------------------------------------------------------

I also don't like the appearance.
    If you compare these zombies: https://images.nowloading.co/image/u...z5tiamnzkm.jpg
    To these zombies from a 10 year old game: https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/...20140409154028

You'll notice a key difference - the Dead Rising zombies are designed to be viewed as a crowd, not individually. They are low res, but they actually look like dead corpses. They don't really have distinguishing features. Rather than making them boring, this makes them less repetitive since you don't notice when the models and skins are reused.

If you compare that to the 7 days to die zombies, the 7DTD zombies are more like MMORPG mobs. They have very distinguishing appearances which makes crowds of them look very repetitive. They all have their own names like "decayed mother" and "infected survivor". Some of them look good, like the feral zombie and the one with all the flesh stripped from his torso. Others have ridiculous features like massive breasts and silly nurse costumes. Their faces are comical and rubbery-looking, like halloween masks. These are the oldest ones from the earliest alphas. I really hope they are just place holders and they'll be replaced with better ones one day.

I wish the zombies in 7DTD could be more like the zombies in Dead Rising. I think their names should be scrapped first of all, since that draws attention to the repetition. We don't need to know their names, just "destroyed zombie" is a good enough name when you loot them. I'd really love UMA zombies to make a comeback. Failing that, I'd like the models to be reworked and made to look less repetitive, with faces and bodies designed to blend in rather than stand out.

================================================== ==
    Disclaimer: The pimps are doing a great job and it's a great game, but any Early Access game needs criticism so this is mine. Don't interpret this like I think the game is crap; these are just things I think could be improved. It doesn't matter when, just before release.

I agree with alot of stuff geengaween said. The zombie sounds are kinda terrible to be honest, not to mention they sound far FAR to loud. If there was a option for player sound effects and zombie voice, I would turn both down, as alot of the sound effects for the player are just far to loud, the wrench is especally bad as is anything motorized, even the pickaxe/axe sounds feel too loud to the point I almost always crouch when using anything in the game due to how loud they are. Has anyone on the sound team ever used a wrench? they do not make anywhere near that much noise.

As I said in my post the whole clone wars has to stop, the zombies need randomization as they used to be people.

As for the UMA zombies, they were scrapped because of how crappy unity is for a game as big as 7 days to die. UMA randomized stuff caused massive perfomance issues to the point they had to be scrapped. Apparently Unity has a very small amount of textures it can show at once, and once you get near it, thats when the problem starts. Its a good engine for like mobile games, but not for a big open world game like 7 dtd. Unfortunetally, its far to late to change engines entirely now so were kinda stuck with a game where the engine limits it quite a bit. UMA zombies might come back but there will need to be some major reworking done on the textures and such to get it playable.

Onto AI, they are zombies, they are supposed to be stupid, but yes, they shouldn't randomly run around in circles for no apparent reason, they do it even on flat roads with no obstructions and such. As for getting to people, on horde night, have the AI set a percent of the horde to be "builders" these builders will go to a diffrent part of the structure and dig in a stair pattern to get up/down to you, once the stair is made it will send a notice to the other zombies and they'll start using the stairs to get to you. This could work up and down. Other than this, there is not much else you can do, too smart zombies won't fit the theme, even the stair making zombies might be pushing it a ton. For now I'd say fix the AI so they stop running in circles for no reason first. The bears/wolves and dogs also do the circle running thing.

There is not much else you can do, since the world is voxel base there will always be easy ways to dodge the hordes. No matter hwo good the AI is, if your 5 blocks up shooting down at them there is not much they can do. Though, if the AI detects say a structre on stilts, it could make them focus on destroying the supports that hold it up, currently they pretty much completly ignore said supports as long as your not standing over them.

The reactions to pain kinda need to be toned down a ton, you can shoot a zombie in the leg and its not going to flinch at all, same for an arm or torso hit (unless the impact is high enough), the ninja like head bobbing they do when hit with a shot to the head just looks out of place and also just makes them take extra time to kill them, this is why I usually just use melee. IMO they shoulkd move slightly with more movement depending on how much the impact of it would have, bow/xbow/pistol/smg would bascally be very slight movement, where shotgun and the rifles would cause them to jerk quite a bit.

It also doesn't help how off center alot of the weapons are, I am not talking about spread, I am talking crossbow and bows for one, bow hits near the bottom of the crosshair even at close range, crossbow is in between the right and down section. I understand they drop over distance but they should be firing near the center of that crosshair at the start, not the bottom or the lower right corner.

I'd like more zombies on screen but have them with less health and allow bullets to penetrate, if I shoot a zombie with a rifle at close range the bullet should fly thru its head and hit whatever is behind it.

We also need a version of the railway rifle from fallout series, that thing was too fun pinning enemies to walls and cielings. It'd fit with the game, and since it fires spikes we could make them in the forge.

Lastly, I think alot of work needs to be done on how zombies detect sound, sprinting past a house shouldn't aggro the entire building's sleepers when I am outside of it. The walls should filter that much sound out. Looting aggro also is far to large, I loot stuff and it aggros crap on the 2nd floor and I am crouched too. Though this mostly stems from how obnoxiously loud the zombies are. Half the time I kill them just to shut them up due to their volume.
    Last edited by Siveria; 01-13-2018 at 08:25 PM.

Definitely AI. The "running in circles" thing is super annoying.

Variety doesn't bother me as long as they give modders easy access to putting in new models/textures.

Hunter
    1: Pathing/AI
    2: No spawning in player busy areas, like a taken over POI etc.
    3: Variety

Inventor
    Definitely need more zombies at once! double the 64 max... at the very least!!

I added a sound category. If someone wants to change their vote let me know.

Tracker
    I am most interested in pathing and AI, though clipping fixes would be nice. Last horde night I had a standard 50 pillar defense and getting headshots was very difficult as their heads spent most of the time within the pillars.

Also, please drop the stripper. No need for that graphic in the game.

This would be much better if we could select multiple. This is a tower defense game as well so their abilities go a long way toward making that aspect of the game work. Their pathing needs help as everyone already knows. There is already a lot of variety so that isn't a problem. Greater numbers should come in the optimization phase of things. Better AI is coming.

I don't see the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Maharin View Post
    This would be much better if we could select multiple. This is a tower defense game as well so their abilities go a long way toward making that aspect of the game work. Their pathing needs help as everyone already knows. There is already a lot of variety so that isn't a problem. Greater numbers should come in the optimization phase of things. Better AI is coming.

I don't see the problem?
    It's not a problem.
    It's just a what you personally would work on first if you knew how to do everything.
    We all know just about everything is coming.. eventually.

It's just a what would you do thing...
    Generate activity on the forum and all that.

..At least that's my take on it.

I want everyoneís top pick. Mine was AI and pathing.

2) abilities
    3) number
    4) variety

The rest are meh. Visual stuff is only impactful until you get used to it and then donít care anymore. I guess my philistine ear is not discerning enough to care about better sounds. They sound great to me already. I do wish they would turn their heads and look at you like they used to...

Quote Originally Posted by Tin View Post
    It's not a problem.
    It's just a what you personally would work on first if you knew how to do everything.
    We all know just about everything is coming.. eventually.

It's just a what would you do thing...
    Generate activity on the forum and all that.

..At least that's my take on it.
    Plus I was told that better drawn zombies that look decayed, gory, and scary is a universally desired top priority so I wanted to see how well that stacked up with other zombie considerations as a first priority concern. Allowing multiple choices would muddy that up as lots of people would pick several things.