View Poll Results: Which is the most critical aspect of zombies that should be the dev's top priority.

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • Their appearance. Redraw them to be more scary, gory, and decayed.

3 1.56%
  • Their animations. Improve how they move (and remove reactions to pain).

7 3.65%
  • Their abilities. Add more special infected with abilities that will challenge us.

19 9.90%
  • Their variety. Add more types so we stop seeing so many duplicates.

13 6.77%
  • Their number. Do what is needed to get far more on screen at the same time.

32 16.67%
  • Their pathing and AI.

107 55.73%
  • Their sounds. They donít sound good at all and need better sounds.

5 2.60%
  • None of the above. Zombies are great as they are. Get working on Bandits!!!!

6 3.13%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the most critical aspect of zombies that should be developed?

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    I want everyoneís top pick. Mine was AI and pathing.

2) abilities
    3) number
    4) variety

The rest are meh. Visual stuff is only impactful until you get used to it and then donít care anymore. I guess my philistine ear is not discerning enough to care about better sounds. They sound great to me already. I do wish they would turn their heads and look at you like they used to...
    Can't fault your list order.. +1 and ummm yeah! I would like the head turn deal as well but mostly for the animals so it just looks better.

Refugee
    there is no reason, to me, that AI and pathing isn't number 1 on that list by a landslide, its a core game element. its completely immersion breaking when they just start running in circles and ruins the challenge when you run across a feral and they do that. if feral zombies didn't' run in circles they'd be scary.

-the ninja head bobbing shenanigans need to go, exceptionally annoying.
    -spider zombies need to be able to climb over/around more things, to easy to avoid them.
    -dog zombies need to be faster... i dunno about you, but i can't outrun a dog. (and no i'm not a plus size person either) i think one needs very high athletics to have a chance at that. and i'm aware this would depend greatly on what kinda dog it is. overall zombie dog is very lackluster
    - i also notice that if i build the basic square tower with spikes around it and stand on the ledge, one would think they'd beat the living crap out the wall to get to me, but they don't most of the time, very inconsistent.

Zombie Hunter
    i vote the ai pathing but all of the above need to be done just watch walking dead

By the numbers:The majority of the time I now play wave attack, or sweep and clear. So I configured the areamaster spawners to give greater yield and respawn. 50 alive coming at me from four directions instantly respawning as i kill
    until area is clear rinse repeat as i move To a town. That gets my blood pumping.

AI pathing: would have been the twin pick but could only post one. I keep adjusting to get them to demolish
    anything in their path like hills. The no where to hide scenario.

Appearance: using Badco archetypes mod along with making each zombie 8 times and giving each a different walk animation takes care of variety for now. Each has different clothing so it feel like 8x more zombies. later if the pimps decide to add a greater clothing and movement animation list then kool.

More scary, ehh, since blood is static, and no limbs are left behind after being blown off hot so high for me, although I do like some of the modded texturizations.

Abilities: Zombie, reanimated dead flesh, anything extra is more resident evil and biohazard. Maybe their animations being give greater volume.

Sounds: Ambient sounds, like the older 70s to 80s horror flicks, before ai cgi and vfx, those draw you in to the play zone. favor catch word immersion.

Quote Originally Posted by 4sheetzngeegles View Post
    By the numbers:The majority of the time I now play wave attack, or sweep and clear. So I configured the areamaster spawners to give greater yield and respawn. 50 alive coming at me from four directions instantly respawning as i kill
    until area is clear rinse repeat as i move To a town. That gets my blood pumping.

AI pathing: would have been the twin pick but could only post one. I keep adjusting to get them to demolish
    anything in their path like hills. The no where to hide scenario.

Appearance: using Badco archetypes mod along with making each zombie 8 times and giving each a different walk animation takes care of variety for now. Each has different clothing so it feel like 8x more zombies. later if the pimps decide to add a greater clothing and movement animation list then kool.

More scary, ehh, since blood is static, and no limbs are left behind after being blown off hot so high for me, although I do like some of the modded texturizations.

Abilities: Zombie, reanimated dead flesh, anything extra is more resident evil and biohazard. Maybe their animations being give greater volume.

Sounds: Ambient sounds, like the older 70s to 80s horror flicks, before ai cgi and vfx, those draw you in to the play zone. favor catch word immersion.
    Check my mod and look at the AI task and target set up. They are the wrecking crew

My top pick is definitely numbers. I want proper zombie hordes, not bijou hordettes.

I actively don't want more special types of zombie (although I wouldn't say no to a wider variety of mundane zombie models/textures) - I'd rather have fewer special types; and similarly I actively don't want zombie AI to be better - I'd rather zombies stay stupid.

Zombies should be stupid but numerous - to me, that's kind of the whole point of zombies. They shouldn't be bullet sponges because they're special and have lots of hit points, but be bullet "sponges" because there are so many of them that need shooting. They shouldn't need special attacks to hurt you and break your walls, but hurt you and break your walls because more of them keep on coming. They shouldn't need to be "diggers" to dig down to your underground base, but congregate around the entrance so you're surrounded when you come out. They shouldn't have the intelligence to avoid spikes and traps, but the numbers to overwhelm spikes and traps.

Is this Animations, or AI-Pathfinding ?

Cause they seem to be traveling,
    do a Human Locating Dance,
    then take off in that direction
    Last edited by Bimbie; 01-14-2018 at 01:24 AM.

Scavenger
    Quote Originally Posted by KanedaSyndrome View Post
    1: Pathing/AI
    2: No spawning in player busy areas, like a taken over POI etc.
    3: Variety
    agree with this

1. Abilities
    2. AI

No need for huge numbers and you wont have time to count armpit hairs when they keep you busy. =)

Quote Originally Posted by geengaween View Post
    I wish the zombies in 7DTD could be more like the zombies in Dead Rising. I think their names should be scrapped first of all, since that draws attention to the repetition. We don't need to know their names, just "destroyed zombie" is a good enough name when you loot them. I'd really love UMA zombies to make a comeback. Failing that, I'd like the models to be reworked and made to look less repetitive, with faces and bodies designed to blend in rather than stand out.
    I agree with this kind of thinking. At the same time i'm sure mods will eventually give us best looking zombies though.
    I would rather like to see TFP work on the framework of the game to allow much more zombies on screen. Huge hordes and cities full of zombies, that you have to sneak through would add amazing atmosphere. Possibly headshot=kill mods that won't make the game easy, because can't take on so many zombies at once.
    It's always possible to limit zombie spawns, but is you can't have more if the framework does not support it.

Running in circles is basically a bug, it will get fixed. AI generally will get improvements, i'm sure devs are not finished with it.
    I don't care much for special zombies with crazy abilities. You will figure them out eventually and they will also become repetitive. It would be much better if zombies had little more variety of behaviour randomly mixed in, to make them more unpredictable. This part of AI would only need to work when the zombie is near the player. Cop that is always going to explode at certain health is similar to a mine that is always in the same place. A random zombie that might leap at you from the crowd is more dangerous and better gameplay IMO.
    Also, i don't think zombies should be clever, they're zombies.

So:
    1. Numbers
    2. AI
    ...as long as the framework is good, the rest will be sorted out and can be tweaked to any liking.
    Last edited by toores; 01-14-2018 at 02:34 AM.

Please vote and share your thoughts. You can only vote for one so if there are like two or three that tie you can tell us your runner up priorities down below.
    Well, for me technically speaking a lot of the things listed have to come together to make a good/great/etc zed... For immersion abilities sake when all of them come together that just makes it much easier for the user become enveloped into the game. Right now for me - the zeds are close to the ideal aspect of matching the surroundings with the zeds. Yes the AI pathing has taken a turn but can still be fixed. And yes having the same 'limited number' of zeds is starting to become an issue and yes that too can be fixed. Another issue I see is the way they interact with the environment and players is becoming old too. They have only a certain number of ways to interact, but yes that too can be fixed. I don't think removing their reactions to 'pain'/'wounds'/'etc.' should be done. This is a game about the apocalypse and that aspect is apart of the core of this game. There is a possibility that 'adding a tonne of things' like, weapons, cloths, as well as the number of zeds, more different kinds of boulders, rocks, etc can cause the system to have issues...

To switch the dev's priority to any of these is a bit confused because they have a timeline in place. To deviate from that can cause delays. On one hand is it necessary to 'stop everything' and focus on this? But yes, work definitely needs to be done along these lines. But however if the part of AI pathing has already passed, then maybe it might be a time to stop, drop everything and see what's going on.

Oh, it's not like this will change any priorities. =)

Zombies will also not remain the only enemies. 3rd person animations and AI must shape up before bandits can pull their weight and zombies will no doubt nab some of the improvements.

Plus I was told that better drawn zombies that look decayed, gory, and scary is a universally desired top priority so I wanted to see how well that stacked up with other zombie considerations as a first priority concern. Allowing multiple choices would muddy that up as lots of people would pick several things.
    The appearance of the zombies is pretty much the last thing on my list. I've been a gamer a very long time (32+ years) and I can say with utmost confidence that I've never given up on a game because of graphics but poor gameplay has claimed hundreds.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gazz View Post
    Oh, it's not like this will change any priorities. =)
    Do as you're told, soldier!

But not what I say. I'm just a guy with a stick. Well, I had a stick until it was nerfed into plain wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazz View Post
    Oh, it's not like this will change any priorities.
    What?! I thought my polls were wirelessly connected to Rick and Joelís brain stems. That salesman told me this Huenink3000 modem was guaranteed to work.

(Maybe I should have invested in the Hentschke model instead but the salesman couldnít ever get a reliable connection....)

Last edited by Roland; 01-14-2018 at 02:55 AM.

Reliably connected salesmen are otherwise known as politicians.