View Poll Results: Which is the most critical aspect of zombies that should be the dev's top priority.

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • Their appearance. Redraw them to be more scary, gory, and decayed.

3 1.56%
  • Their animations. Improve how they move (and remove reactions to pain).

7 3.65%
  • Their abilities. Add more special infected with abilities that will challenge us.

19 9.90%
  • Their variety. Add more types so we stop seeing so many duplicates.

13 6.77%
  • Their number. Do what is needed to get far more on screen at the same time.

32 16.67%
  • Their pathing and AI.

107 55.73%
  • Their sounds. They donít sound good at all and need better sounds.

5 2.60%
  • None of the above. Zombies are great as they are. Get working on Bandits!!!!

6 3.13%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the most critical aspect of zombies that should be developed?

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    What?! I thought my polls were wirelessly connected to Rick and Joel’s brain stems. That salesman told me this Huenink3000 modem was guaranteed to work.

(Maybe I should have invested in the Hentschke model instead but the salesman couldn’t ever get a reliable connection....)

The modem works! It's just your internet?! Yep! uhuh.. Yeah! The up and down speeds are not configured right and you need to contact your provider. Sorry no returns! as you already opened the package

Reconstructionist
    1 - Pathing and AI. They don't need to split the atom. They just need to be able to find something better to do than spin in a circle 99.99 % of the time.

2 - Variety. Subtle differences can go a long way. Wasn't this what UMA was for?

3 - Appearance. A large percentage of the models just don't make the grade, especially the older common models.

4 - Animations. Sure but not a priority. The animations are already decent.

5/6/7 - Abilities. Nah. They are zombies. This isn't x-men.

5/6/7 - Numbers. Nah. I feel like pathfinding and AI should take care of this.

5/6/7 - Sounds. Nah. Who cares? Just give the Hawaiian / Tourist his own sounds already.

Hunter
    I think zombies should when the game releases should be your main early game threat while bandits should be lategame threat

Community Moderator Crater Creator's Avatar
    Picking THE top priority is a pretty agonizing decision, but if I have to...

1. Pathing and AI. Zombies are the game's primary antagonists and always will be (this comes directly from Madmole). For that to work, zombies need the means to threaten players no matter where they are. So long as there are places zombies can't reach, the gameplay, and the Blood Moon concept in particular, have fundamental holes.

So this must be addressed before anything else. It will likely require more special infected abilities as well: zombies adept at adding and removing volume in all three dimensions in the name of path finding. So I'd vote for Abilities too if I could, but only as part of fixing the same overarching issue.

2. Variety. This is a game where the terrain you explore, the distribution of loot and enemies, and in Alpha 17 even the weapons you use will likely be different every game thanks to sophisticated procedural generation, RNG, many sleeper spawns to choose from, gun mods, and so on.

It's also a game where you encounter literally thousands of zombies in a session. But unlike those other different-every-time features, all the zombies use the same twenty or so models over and over again. And I can't emphasize enough that you can't do justice to this with more character artist's time alone, either. That would be like trying to hand craft enough Navezganes that players don't see the same world twice.

The real solution, again, is procedural generation. UMA didn't work, but let's get random visual variation among individual zombie instances some other way. Left 4 Dead 2 provides a good example: there are special models for e.g. 'the construction worker zombie' and 'the hazmat zombie' that have different behaviors, but common zombies in general combine different faces, hairstyles, blood marks, clothing, etc. to create something like 1500 different possible appearances (source). Conceptually, we should abandon the idea that "Arlene" is a particular entity that specifies exactly one model, texture, animation set, voice, loot list, speed, health, etc.

Their pathing and AI is what I chose. I think that would add the most to the gameplay.

I also wish they had better animations. In a previous thread I mentioned that although the animations aren't bad, I feel the mocap actors exaggerated too much and that they didn't reach the potential, as well as that it's just one animation per zombie.

Their abilities can also add to gameplay, but I feel that ties in with AI, at least to some degree. I like the roster we have now though, so I don't feel we really need more abilities / special zombies (at least that's low on my list).

Numbers I'm in the middle on, I think we have a decent number, or at least that a decent number is obtainable (through modding), but I feel we could do better. I personally miss the spawn percentage setting. The two biggest issues with spawning from what I understand is performance, and getting spawn masks working properly again, but I feel the design is right.

Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by A Nice Cup of Tea View Post
    My top pick is definitely numbers. I want proper zombie hordes, not bijou hordettes.

I actively don't want more special types of zombie (although I wouldn't say no to a wider variety of mundane zombie models/textures) - I'd rather have fewer special types; and similarly I actively don't want zombie AI to be better - I'd rather zombies stay stupid.

Zombies should be stupid but numerous - to me, that's kind of the whole point of zombies. They shouldn't be bullet sponges because they're special and have lots of hit points, but be bullet "sponges" because there are so many of them that need shooting. They shouldn't need special attacks to hurt you and break your walls, but hurt you and break your walls because more of them keep on coming. They shouldn't need to be "diggers" to dig down to your underground base, but congregate around the entrance so you're surrounded when you come out. They shouldn't have the intelligence to avoid spikes and traps, but the numbers to overwhelm spikes and traps.
    Agree 100%

Refugee
    Pathing and AI, but we already know A16 broke elements of this and is being addressed. They were more dangerous in A15 than they are a the moment.

Well, Pathing and AI was my second choice, but the lack of huge NUMBERS of zombies is just in front of it for me. A16 has felt very lonely at times for me, most especially in cities.

Scavenger
    I chose pathing and AI, but mostly because I'd like it if zombies could figure out that they could move 10 blocks to the side to get to me, instead of trying to dig through 5 layer thick reinforced concrete. I hate that the only thing that really works to funnel zombies (at least from my research/testing) is a trench to bedrock.

Scavenger
    I voted for AI but sound would be a close second. Specifically I would like to see a split in AI intelligence. Lets be frank, decaying and shambling corpses are only going to be so intelligent, or so smart. So I'm find with some of the zombies being rather dumb. However, not all of them should be. If you had some more intelligent than others it would create a nice additional bit of depth to the game.

For example, the common zombies that generally get seen at the beginning and in not special locations don't need to be that smart. However, things like the cops, army looking ones, feral, spider, etc definitely can be more intelligent. I shudder saying it, but the same goes for the witch.

If any zombie is feral, it should automatically have slightly improved pathing, and AI. It would make them that much more threatening.

Sound is one of my biggest gripes more than anything in this game. It's immersion breaking to be looting and slaying in the tower, and for your game to spitting rather loud sounds of zombies that are simply trying to break in ground level (for some stupid reason, there should be no trigger especially if doors are gone and filled in. If I am in the middle of the tower, the zombies outside of and by the walls of the ground level should not be equal in decibel to the ones around me if I accidentally woke them.

It puts you in a position where you don't know if you should be concerned. Are they just ground level ones, a group patting by (heat swarm) or did you accidentally trigger a group on the floor you are in? Enemy sounds should scale based on how close they are to you.

I can see why 'pathing and AI' should be a top priority right now. It gets kinda boring when i can just build my base on a 4 big 4x4 (8-10 block high) pillars, make a 'layer' of iron bars right below my main platform and just run around on those iron bars as i'm taking down zeds that are running mindlessly right below me, there's not even a need for any traps. 7th day night-hordes are just child's play in those cases. Zeds are ignoring those 4 pillars and i don't even have to use any firearms for them (crossbow ftw) except for "greens" (cops).

As for my vote. As soon as i saw: 'Their animations. Improve how they move' - my vote went straight to that out of the impulse of sheer frustration (all the 'flashbacks') how even after killing thousands of zeds with a crossbow - quite often there's that situation when i'm taking 5-7 shots at zed's head and it will still miss by some miracle and that zed is just walking straight towards me not "zigzagging" or anything. It's like belts/arrows are going straight through their heads without doing any dmg or missing them completely by literally a pixel. I can understand when one-two belts/arrows can miss something that technically should be a hit but 5-7 shoots in a row? It's VERY frustrating.

Overall there are cases where zeds are swinging their heads way too much like for example that moment when they're "sticking" to a chain link fence and hitting it - their head movements are not very fluid and are looking quite "jittery" - no matter how much experience somebody has with killing zeds with ranged weapons - stuff like this can be really annoying.

There's also this, i'm talking about that zed animation which starts at 1:23:
    https://youtu.be/pPQ_FE0YMhs?t=1m23s
    The only thing that comes to mind is: "but why tho"
    Zeds are technically dead right? Then why they're moving their heads like a spastic monkey? The fact that all shots from ranged weapons are going a tiny bit lower and to the right from the middle of crosshair also doesn't really help with headshots, but that crosshair issue looks like is going to be fixed in A17 (as Kinyajuu said in his posts that are pinned in the first post of Developer Diary: Alpha 17).

So yeah, i love the game, but the issues i listed above are THE ONLY things that i hate about current state of 7 days to die (A16.4). Better zed pathing and AI + more fluid animations and less "head swings/jitter" would make the game so much better and more enjoyable.

Regards to the whole community and devs

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    What?! I thought my polls were wirelessly connected to Rick and Joel’s brain stems. That salesman told me this Huenink3000 modem was guaranteed to work.

(Maybe I should have invested in the Hentschke model instead but the salesman couldn’t ever get a reliable connection....)

Quote Originally Posted by Tin View Post
    The modem works! It's just your internet?! Yep! uhuh.. Yeah! The up and down speeds are not configured right and you need to contact your provider. Sorry no returns! as you already opened the package
    I heard the Huenink model drops a lot.......I mean connections of course

As for zombies, I would like them to stop respawning behind me in a closed room I have cleared
    Last edited by Gamida; 01-14-2018 at 05:02 PM.

Scavenger
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamida View Post
    I heard the Huenink model drops a lot.......I mean connections of course

As for zombies, I would like them to stop respawning behind me in a closed room I have cleared
    I often wonder if this is an error with pathing (having it spawn behind you because walls, room, etc) or if it is a sleeper spawn error where it fails to properly register that you killed a sleeper, and spawns another in it's place (and then it just happens to walk right up to you silent like making it seem like it spawned behind you).

Quote Originally Posted by OzHawkeye View Post
    Well, Pathing and AI was my second choice, but the lack of huge NUMBERS of zombies is just in front of it for me. A16 has felt very lonely at times for me, most especially in cities.
    Someone said they thought the zombie apocalypse was 10 years in. If that is true, then the zombies you see are not the initial ones and earth is almost entirely depopulated. The New World Order has won... unless you can find their HQ and show them just how annoyed you are with their evil plans!

Tracker
    Guys, do not vote for Pathing and AI! Of course this is most bugged part, but developers will fix this side anyway. Choose other options