Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bears?

Question Bears?

So I haven't tried it yet but I'm sure someone has. What is the best way to kill a bear? I've come across a few and have steered way clear, but I want what I can only assume is a ton of meat and hide!!! Tell us your favorite way to hunt those bears! Thanks in advance.

Tracker
    With a gun at a distance. Never thought the reward was worth the risk though.

You best carry bear repellent spray.
    Aim for the eyes or snout.
    Walk away calmly, do not run. The residue of the spray is designed to keep the bear interested for a bit.
    Do not attempt to engage the bear in melee or climb to safety. Neither will work in your favour.

When at a safe distance, kill the bear with a rifle.

Colony Founder
    Last one I killed, I put a wood frame thee blocks up a tree, then used two more to climb/jump up to stand on the high block, before shooting arrows at the bear. Managed to antagonise it into coming over and it kindly stood below be while I repeatedly shot it in the head. There's good eating on one if you have a knife or machete, and the animal hide is always useful.

Had bear for dinner - very tasty!

Survivor
    Has anyone hit them with a mini bike like you can with deer and pigs?

Tracker
    Yes, you can hit them with the minibike but it'll damage the bike just like hitting zeds... My best weapon was the blunderbuss, the stun enables you to just fire away until it's dead.. I would use a steel crossbow arrow to get it's attention and get some initial damage, then switch to blunderbuss and just shoot, back up as you reload, rinse and repeat until dead...

I use a bear trap that consists of 13 wood spikes and 13 wooden crates. I watched a video on it and its really ease to make. hmmm this is probably gonna suck but let me make a top view pic.

X=Wood Spikes but not the Log Wooden Spikes. Use the ones with lots of pokey ends:}
    O=Wooden Crates

XXXXX
    OXXXO
    XXXXX

Ok so the wooden crates are each 5 blocks high and then 3 across the top....kinda like and arch
    The Spikes are all on the ground.
    To build it stack 5 crates high and then add the 3 in the middle which will be just hanging in the air. Add all the spike traps and then stand and jump up to put the other 5 blocks down. Heres a side view:

OOOOO
    O-----O
    O-----O
    O-----O
    XXXXX

If the bear actually attacks one of the wooden crates the structure will still stand, I just stand on one of the 3 in the middle and shoot arrows down to finish off the bear. The spikes really slow him down so its easy to get head shots. If you kill a bear at a cave POI make sure another one didnt just respawn......that got me twice cause I was so excited to skin the first one. Also dont tear down the whole structure, to get down just pick up 4 of the wooden crates that run vertical. Also to build it i get aways away, build it, then shoot it to draw it to me. Make sure to build it "aways away" :} I had to edit my terrrible X's and O's because it wouldnt come across correctly. the - is just air
    Last edited by Balun; 01-26-2018 at 12:38 AM.

I typically run backwards and shoot them in head area with arrows. Each time you shoot them they pause slightly. Giving you time to load next arrow.

If you miss, makes it harder. but the key is to never stop moving away from them.

-Krow

Tracker
    I have a 241 sniper and that kills it in 1 shot to the head. Zombie bears is one shot in the head in sneak mode. Early on I don't bother with them. Mini bike is great too

Ranger
    I personally find blowing it up to work quite well.

Ranger
    My first bear kill was early in the game on my current map up in the mountain. Luckily I had the 45 pistol. Would of preferred something more long range but I pulled it off. Headshots are the best. If your on a building shooting down on the bears back. Ya better have a lot of bullets. hahahah I seen another bear yesterday in that fenced in yard in the south west of boobie trap. Just before the oil plant. Didn't have time to loot near the bear. I was maxed out carrying a lot from oil plant. I must of counted 10 dogs on that road alone. Not including a couple I killed at the oil plant.

Everyone,

Thanks for the replies and ideas! I have a feeling this bear repellent thing is a troll, but I appreciate a good troll! Had me searching the wiki for it, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Balun View Post
    I use a bear trap that consists of 13 wood spikes and 13 wooden crates. I watched a video on it and its really ease to make. hmmm this is probably gonna suck but let me make a top view pic.

X=Wood Spikes but not the Log Wooden Spikes. Use the ones with lots of pokey ends:}
    O=Wooden Crates

XXXXX
    OXXXO
    XXXXX

Ok so the wooden crates are each 5 blocks high and then 3 across the top....kinda like and arch
    To build it stack 5 crates high and then add the 3 in the middle which will be just hanging in the air. Add all the spike traps and then stand and jump up to put the other 5 blocks down. Heres a side view:

OOOOO
    O-----O
    O-----O
    O-----O
    XXXXX

If the bear actually attacks one of the wooden crates the structure will still stand, I just stand on one of the 3 in the middle and shoot arrows down to finish off the bear. The spikes really slow him down so its easy to get head shots. If you kill a bear at a cave POI make sure another one didnt just respawn......that got me twice cause I was so excited to skin the first one. Also dont tear down the whole structure, to get down just pick up 4 of the wooden crates that run vertical. Also to build it i get aways away, build it, then shoot it to draw it to me. Make sure to build it "aways away" :} I had to edit my terrrible X's and O's because it wouldnt come across correctly. the - is just air
    This I will most definitely try. But I bet I won't see a bear now that I'm looking for one! Man I love this game!!!

Ranger
    Quote Originally Posted by Balun View Post

O=Wooden Crates

XXXXX
    OXXXO
    XXXXX

OOOOO
    O-----O
    O-----O
    O-----O
    XXXXX

That building is begging for a collapse.

Community Moderator SylenThunder's Avatar
    I just exploit the system. If you use a good quality bow, you can sit just outside their detection range and shoot them in the head. They'll run in circles looking for you. Just take your time shooting and don't waste the arrows. (It's harder to hit that bear running in circles than you think.)

Refugee
    I'm not sure if this still works but I think you can just go up on top of a rock and shoot at it with any type of weapon. If it still works the bear won't be able to attack you. If anyone knows if this still works please let me know lol, don't want to try this then die