Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How does the spawning for wandering hordes work?

Scavenger

edit horde direction

is there a way to edit where the path of the horde is like spawning it away from the player and not towards him ? also can we edit for the wandering horde to ignore every block unless they come in contact with the player ? if they get stuck its better to do the spider and maze thing walk on the side of the walls while finding an exit and join the horde again or maybe despawn after some time when player is away from it or maybe have wandering hordes only on asphalt ? XD
    Last edited by vitaminded; 07-18-2018 at 09:38 PM.

Inventor
    I replaced all wolf and dog hordes with stags and boars. Also replaced vulture hordes with chickens. So rather than turning off hordes you could make them into something more useful/less deadly. The boars ignore you until you attack them, and one sneaking headshot with a bow should put them down instantly.

Zombie Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by skullpoker View Post
    I replaced all wolf and dog hordes with stags and boars. Also replaced vulture hordes with chickens. So rather than turning off hordes you could make them into something more useful/less deadly. The boars ignore you until you attack them, and one sneaking headshot with a bow should put them down instantly.
    heh. Lunch delivered to you, instead of you becoming lunch. I like that idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Guppycur View Post
    I would agree except that we don't see near misses... I mean sure, if we juke the system and are at point b during the spawn then quickly move to point a, but, and although I agree with you in general, there's a missed opportunity for wandering hordes showing up /near/ you.

I seem to recall that those hordes acted that way at one time. You'd be running through the woods and e.g. come across a pack of z's shuffling perpendicular to you on some unknown "mission". I recall that they were more frequent and generally smaller groups than what we're seeing in A16.

-Morloc

To me, the wandering hordes are the resupply mechanism. Like someone else mentioned, it just sucks when my bag is already full. Also, 3 rows of spikes will take care of most of them at your base if you don't want to handle them on your own. I like to handle them on my own for the xp and the loot (and I try to kill them so they don't die on top of each other or on a rock which will cause them to pop)

That said, I'm leaning towards the idea that maybe Zs shouldn't be as useful at providing loot and XP.

Tracker
    I'm more annoyed by the multiple screamers each day I had spawning at my base by the end of the first week

Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by vedrit View Post
    I'm more annoyed by the multiple screamers each day I had spawning at my base by the end of the first week
    Gotta watch your heat map

Tracker
    Quote Originally Posted by ravend View Post
    Gotta watch your heat map
    Be the two people I'm playing with -want- the screamers...They spammed torches and left forges running all the time. I need you and Deo to join me

I'm wanting more wandering hordes. Assuming they come twice a day according to the wiki, I'd like to find the setting and force them to come four times a day. Our server wants the struggle and challenge. I want an unliving, unbreathing, swarm of zombies happening regularly so that we can battle and survive without having to just tweak how often horde night comes. Is there a setting to make them come four times a day or is that no longer how it works in A17?

From what i have been checking in a no zombie kill playthrough, as well as looking up info in the console, there is an interval after defeating a WH when a next will not spawn. This allows time for killing them and not having 2 at a time. Additionally, every WH zombie dies after a period of time after spawning (seen it in both A16 and A17). Apart from that, even if you sneak around, WH will follow players general direction (unless they changed it, after seeing them n the horizon, i hid countless times in a base on stilts and they came from various distance to me, slowly creeping all together). So unless you run/ride far enough to despawn the whole group or wait for them to die, you need to kill them manually or with traps.

Please do not resurrect old threads. Wandering hordes don't even work the same as they did in 2018 and anyone clicking on this thread will read the OP and get confused because of the outdated information. If you want to talk about wandering hordes start a new thread so that everyone is talking about the current version of it.