View Poll Results: Which of these zombie aspects deserves top development priority?

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Zombie art direction

4 3.64%
  • Zombie animations

4 3.64%
  • Zombie special abilities

26 23.64%
  • Zombie variety

21 19.09%
  • Zombie numbers

37 33.64%
  • Zombie sounds

6 5.45%
  • The top priority is not zombie-related

12 10.91%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Zombie Development Priorities, Part II

Community Moderator Crater Creator's Avatar

Zombie Development Priorities, Part II

Quote Originally Posted by ColdGate View Post
    Guys, do not vote for Pathing and AI! Of course this is most bugged part, but developers will fix this side anyway. Choose other options
    Quote Originally Posted by Viktoriusiii View Post
    PS: could someone pls make a poll without pathing/ai?
    Quote Originally Posted by Viktoriusiii View Post
    I ASK YOU ROLAND!!! PLEASE!!! Make another Poll.
    Quote Originally Posted by OzHawkeye View Post
    I agree with Viktoriusiii, it would be interesting to see this poll re-run without the pathing option there...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cletus Jenkins View Post
    I agree that "pathing" is not really something that belongs on the poll. "Once pathing is addressed, what should be the next development stage of horde/zombie AI" is the real question, IMO.
    Okay! Okay! You win!

So to recap, the last poll asked users to vote for their single top priority when it comes to developing the zombies. There was a clear winner: zombie pathing and AI, which won 55% of the vote. Since each user could only vote for one option, the poll wasn't able to provide good data on what people's next highest priority would be.

So, here we go. Vote for your runner up: for what's most critical to you besides pathing and AI. You still only get one vote. I can't enforce a 'choose your top 3' rule, and if it's unlimited multiple choice, I expect everyone will just vote for most everything. I'm also not planning to do a whole series of polls for third choice, fourth choice, fifth choice and so on, but I thought one more round could be worthwhile, by popular demand.
    Last edited by Crater Creator; 02-10-2018 at 09:32 AM. Reason: added link to last poll

Could you link back to the other poll? I forgot what I said for my number two and I don't want to lie.

nm, I found it. I voted abilities!
    Last edited by Roland; 02-09-2018 at 07:08 PM.

Nomad
    Same response I had in previous poll. Like to see more variety and the abilities be random. Example crawlers that spew acid, or cheerleaders that can climb, be a random thing so you don't know what to expect. And changes in appearance or even just clothing, be chased by 5-6 of the same zombies not very immersing after awhile.

Refugee
    I'd love to see those zombies numbers up. My biggest hope about the eventual optimization spree is to see those zombie numbers to true horde levels. How many that are actually possible is beyond my expertise, but if I had a magical programming wand, I'd love to see Project Zomboid level of zombies. Sparse most of the time, but you could stumble across an avenue filling horde.

I think beyond AI, the zombie numbers issue needs to be a high priority. Whereas with A15 you could bump it up to 15-20 and you'd have a big fight on your hand, with all the added traps in A16 15-20 is not as much of a challenge. What happens now is that GS goes up, and you see more ferals (good) ... wights (good)... radiated kinds (good) but the radiated feral cop should go away, being a bullet sponge, and the exploding damage is just so bugged, and with the high HP it's much harder to kill it before it pops. A few is not an issue, but at max GS you're running into 100 of them ... and spending a few thousand shotgun shells every 7 days isnt workable just to handle them with shotgun turrets

So being able to have a fair bit larger quantity of zombies, AT PERFORMANCE, would be really good. Electricity sucks fps, and so does even medium sized builds, not to mention larger ones. A large build, with electricity and traps can easily drop FPS down to where even 15-20 concurrent zombies has a huge impact on performance during hordes.

The A16 option of # concurrent z's per player on blood moon is good, but frankly I don't see myself ever using it above 8 or 12 simply as say with 5 players, there's no way even a good system is going to handle 60 concurrent and not be low framerate.

I think 7dtd should be aiming for min 50 at high performance, or up to 100 at medium performance, using electricity, in a reasonable sized base. I think that would really help improve the gameplay.

As an aside, part of performance issues right now is due to various bugs. Ie, MP server you see dead (as in really dead) zombies still being under the electrocution buff until it goreblocks, and that just kills framerates using electric fences with even a small number of electrocuted zombies

/V

This is why I think abilities trumps numbers. Numbers are going to destroy framerates but you can increase the challenge and force the players to form new strategies by adding creative abilities and attributes besides just being bullet sponges. I like the suggestion to randomize and mix up which zombies get which abilities. A cheerleader suddenly puking acid will be a surprise while at the same time being vaguely reminiscent...

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    This is why I think abilities trumps numbers. Numbers are going to destroy framerates but you can increase the challenge and force the players to form new strategies by adding creative abilities and attributes besides just being bullet sponges. I like the suggestion to randomize and mix up which zombies get which abilities. A cheerleader suddenly puking acid will be a surprise while at the same time being vaguely reminiscent...
    Abilities over Numbers.
    Abilities need to be developed and then added.
    Numbers can eventually increase over the coarse of everything getting streamlined and optimized.

Numbers over abilities

I’d prefer less special abilities but bigger hordes and higher zombie density in urban areas.

Weapons should do more damage and feel more powerful but the number of zomies would make up for that.
    Last edited by toores; 02-10-2018 at 03:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by toores View Post
    Numbers over abilities

I’d prefer less special abilities but bigger hordes and higher zombie density in urban areas.

Weapons should do more damage and feel more powerful but the number of zomies would make up for that.
    hehe, who's talking just about zeds? Anything the Bandits/ Npc's can do the zeds will have the 'option' as well or vice versa, if the dev's deem so. I mean it's a total package when you're talking about abilities entities can do, It's not just limited to one entity getting that ability.
    At least that is how i am looking at it. I know this thread is more geared to Zombies but like I said it's a total package.

As I could only pick one I chose variety. I could have gone with numbers but just seeing more of the same ones didn't appeal to me. If more variety then I could have added numbers. I did this because I can remember people trying out DM and picking 25 zombies and clicking on one.....seeing 25 of the same zombie was a bit off putting.

-snip- A cheerleader suddenly puking acid will be a surprise while at the same time being vaguely reminiscent...
    Puking cheerleaders are not even a surprise when they are not zombies...

I just added that as it is the stereotypical thing cheerleaders do in movies.....

Abilities over numbers. The only limitation to abilities is imagination whereas there are real technical limitations for numbers. Sure they can up the numbers a bit more but based on what I'm hearing from people about the numbers they are hoping for with numbers I'm going to say that you are asking for a lot of wasted effort for something that isn't going to happen. So go the route that is possible, I say.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamida View Post
    I just added that as it is the stereotypical thing cheerleaders do in movies.....
    Sure. And it's always for a friend whenever you buy condoms...

Sure. And it's always for a friend whenever you buy condoms...
    so...you have met my friends...

I wanted to do the famous "Say hello to my little friend" but realized that wouldn't be the best thing to say in this instance...

Definitely more variety, not only visual but also in their movements/actions so that they are less predictable. Not talking about special abilities like acid, laser sniping, climbing, flying or whatever, but actions a normal zombie would be likely to do.

I'd like to see slightly varied movement speed, not among different kinds of zombies but all zombies, because after a while the player knows exactly when a zombie in the distance will reach him.

I'd like to see a small random chance for each zombie to trip/dash towards the player when it gets near him, attempt to "hug" him, bite him on his upper body or lower, so that the player will not specifically know which attack animation he can expect from that zombie, or how many seconds it will take for it to hit him.

Oooh yes! Numbers.

Scavenger
    I voted Zombie Special Abilities because people are a little dumber than the think they are, and they keep insisting that this game is really bad optimized due to their inability to rationalize the amount of computing power that a true voxel world needs, and so they keep judging themselves better developers (in the hypothetical case they were developers that is) and therefore better at optimizing than the actual developers, resulting in a deep handicaped view of TFP vision and a disbelief in their drive to actual put in more zombies. If they could, they would, and if in the future they actually could, they would/will. My personal view is that none of the above is really necesary. But more non-generic zombies is always cool.