View Poll Results: Which of these zombie aspects deserves top development priority?

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Zombie art direction

4 3.64%
  • Zombie animations

4 3.64%
  • Zombie special abilities

26 23.64%
  • Zombie variety

21 19.09%
  • Zombie numbers

37 33.64%
  • Zombie sounds

6 5.45%
  • The top priority is not zombie-related

12 10.91%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Zombie Development Priorities, Part II

Anyone tried making a bunny horde?

Quote Originally Posted by Maharin View Post
    Anyone tried making a bunny horde?
    I remember the zombie chicken hordes guppy had on his server long ago.....they were comically terrifying.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    The poll shouldn't divide anyone. Just because I voted abilities doesn't mean I don't want numbers. I do want greater numbers. I want all those things. I just think that until beta optimizations numbers aren't a realistic thing to increase because it is going to kill framerates. Abilities is something that can be done now and then numbers can be increased later. No division.
    Interesting point, and one I had not considered. I still keep my own vote with numbers, because I think solving that issue now would also allow for more work on the other issues to, but yeah, I do see the logic behind your logic ;-)

Scavenger
    Only joking about the poll dividing us, each to their own, impossible to please everyone.

For me more of the same regular zombies pose little threat, fun or challenge. Even if there where 100s of them out in cities, once you have skills leveled they take 1 to 2 hits to the head. Yes 100s would pose a different tactic:

- take them all on melee? 100 regulars becomes a repetitive chore.
    - shoot them all with guns, need huge stack of ammo, removes stealth
    - aoe items? removes stealth unless using molotovs
    - sneak around them? TFP would have to change the sneak system, because even with the current few number of regulars that people are complaining about they can already hear us when entering prefabs and looting. How it's possible to be stealthy with even more numbers is contradictory.

100s on horde night? If you play inside a base with a smart base design, literally every zombie except specials of cop, spider and dogs (are dogs classed as specials?) can be neutralized by taking out it's legs turning them into crawlers. Radiated wights are the exact same. As long as you don't sit still all these crawlers will just follow your movement and not cause any damage to your base, minimal maintenance for the next morning. Only the cops range attack and explosion can really do any damage to your base. Spiders do little damage to blocks, dogs are easily dispatched with low hp.

If you like to fight in the street, exact same tactic applies, run over spikes, traps, turn majority into crawlers, left with those specials to deal with. 100s more regulars? Then put more traps down. Case in point, different special abilities would create more challenge.

But anyway I can only give my opinion on the matter, don't want to turn the thread into a tennis match. Looks like numbers is the popular vote, heck I'd still be happy with that.

Quote Originally Posted by SickPuppy View Post
    But anyway I can only give my opinion on the matter, don't want to turn the thread into a tennis match. Looks like numbers is the popular vote, heck I'd still be happy with that.
    Well, hopefully this isn't a winner takes all kind of thing, while I myself voted for numbers, I did it from a point of view of what I'd like to see improved first. Hopefully, that whole list gets major improvements in due time.

Quote Originally Posted by SickPuppy View Post
    Haven't played Dying Light but I thought they ran at night?
    You should try it, it's like 7d2d story mode 😎
    Kidding aside, it's actually pretty good game. Very atmospheric.

To be honest I think we're on the same page wanting the same things, numbers and specials...
    Quote Originally Posted by OzHawkeye View Post
    Well, hopefully this isn't a winner takes all kind of thing, while I myself voted for numbers, I did it from a point of view of what I'd like to see improved first. Hopefully, that whole list gets major improvements in due time.
    True! We do want all those things.

The poll is for us to say what we would like to see, it might not have a slightest impact on what TFP are gonna do.

Abilities over numbers. The only limitation to abilities is imagination whereas there are real technical limitations for numbers.
    It seems there are other limits when it comes to abilities...

...but as they discussed features needed to finish the game and looked closer at what time and resources and balancing would be needed to add them {Behemoths} they realized it was a more involved and expensive process than they wanted to do.

The slow, inexorable, shuffling of hundreds of decaying feet...THAT is the zombie horror. Nibbled to death by cats (thanks Londo). You can outrun and beat up any one of these guys...but..2?...10?...75?? In fairness, I'm not against the idea of some special abilities, but I'd much rather see a horde that didn't run (most of it at least) and would still be a problem due to its numbers. One that might "chase" you, but most of which would be there to rip up your base. Flee and live...but lose your precious forges??....that's real terror

-Morloc

Refugee
    My personal preference in regards to zombies in the game, i would prefer normal weak zombies, where the danger is numbers, not them being sponges (insane hitpoints)

For me, having a horde of slow moving (well not too slow) coming at you and slowly wearing you down stamina wise and if you don't pay attention to your surroundings, corner you, over "special zombies" that are basically just punching bags, where you just have to hit it over and over again until it drops

Because for me, it's just more fun, i really don't find it entertaining or fun to have to stand there and shoot a "special" zombie in the head 20 times (or more), just to kill it. Where as if i was being hunted by 30-50 slower moving and normal zombies, slowly cornering me and forcing me to retreat, is a lot more exciting and fun, but when i say being hunted and cornered, i mean the zombies aren't just all walking in a line towards you from 1 direction, they're coming from all angles

So for me, i would love to limit the "special" zombies and have numbers be the threat, not one "special" zombie that is just a tank/sponge